9,935 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssports barfondueplatinum suitemama miaplatinum areala fleurchill out barplatinum conciergeplatinum poolthe grilllas olasdays in advancewater shoesseafoodcooking showprivate pool
Reviewed November 19, 2017 via mobile

A lovely hotel in all aspects but made better by the great service of all the staff. Both Elda and Mia were our servers at the pool and they were wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble and you were always greeted with a friendly hello and a lovely smile. They chatted to us in English which was wonderful. Both Elda and Mia are a credit to the hotel. We hope to see them both when we return. Thank you both for making our holiday better. Alan and Susan from the UK.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Su P
Princess_RivieraMaya, Community Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Dear Su P,

On behalf of Grand Riviera Princess team, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel as your holiday destination.
We are very proud to read that our staff have been recognized for their service they provide to all our guests, and in this occasion, especially from Mia and Elda, we are sure that they will be very happy to hear from you. It was a pleasure and it always will be a pleasure hosting you.
Warm regards from Mexico!

Reviewed November 19, 2017

Stayed at this hotel for my daughter´s wedding and I have 2 very , reviews - the holiday & the wedding.
The wedding was near disaster. On the day of the wedding we had intermittent torrential rain which is quite common in November and beyond the control of anyone. However, the plan was for the wedding to be conducted on the beach. During the rehearsal, this looked like it was going to be fabulous. On the day, the rain spoilt the wedding area, making the walkways treacherous and the guest seating soaking wet. Anyone with any sense would have thought the venue would have been moved in doors but no, the wedding went ahead as planned albeit late & squeezed in between heavy rain downpours (the fate of a previous wedding that day).
When the ceremony & photographs were over, the wedding organiser left everyone in the Chill Out restaurant with no umbrellas, no other cover & no organised transport back to the main hotel area & the reception. We made a run for it to where we could catch the golf buggies, getting very wet in the process. Guests had to wait, with all other hotel guests, for the little golf buggies to take us back - took about 45 minutes!
On arrival at the Grill restaurant, they were not ready. When the food was served it was barely average.
On top of these major problems, there were a host of little things that were not addressed properly.
I am sure that, if everything had gone to plan, it would have been glorious BUT the wedding organiser is not able to adjust to changing requirements.The hotel must have had to cope with such weather conditions before so why couldn´t they prepare properly? In addition, the hotel does not seem to appreciate that a wedding is a very important day in a couple´s life. On the day no effort was made to try and make the day special and afterwards there was no sympathy or appreciation of the problems and the disappointment caused.
With regards to the holiday. The complex is large but very well laid out. The recreation facilities were very good. The rooms were large and well equipped although in need of a lick of paint. The choice of food in the buffets was amazing but regularly left too long making some food appear to be inedible and not as hot as it should be. The restaurants were alright but none impressed. A good choice of drinks and bar areas were nice but under staffing often led to long waits. Overall, for an all inclusive hotel, it was a good holiday - such a pity it was marred by the wedding experience.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor smelt damp, I think this was due to the proximity of the pools and fountains.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheridan June S
Princess_RivieraMaya, Community Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2017

Dear Sheridan June S,

On behalf of all the Grand Riviera Princess, please accept our apologies for not living up to your expectations and thank you so much for the taking the time to write this review as it gives us the opportunity to improve.
We understand your annoyance, unfortunately, the weather was not on our side and even despite several efforts, we failed you. We do hope we are going to be able to restore your confidence in our brand, we promise we would do our best to exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed November 19, 2017

We paid for the Platinum level, which I think is a MUST for couples. This is a big complex and the Platinum rooms are all in the building right at the beach. Our 2nd floor suite (buildings have 3 floors) faced the ocean with views of the trees - but we could hear the surf on our private balcony and enjoyed the ocean breezes.

The COMPLEX: Large, with connection to the Sunset Princess and Yacatan Platinum. Front (nearest the highway) has a large check-in area with shopping and most of the restaurants and spa. Rear (by the beach) has the 3 Platinum buildings and two inclusive restaurants (plus one not included, on the beach). There are golf cart shuttles every 15 minutes from the front to the rear (note the little 'house' stand has a clock they set that shows the time of the next shuttle). The centre has several pools and bars with tree-lined walkways - everywhere you look/go is a pool or bar, so you will not have any issues using these. The grounds are very well maintained with 'Coatie's' running around everywhere at dusk (these are from the racoon family, but look like ant-eaters and act like cats ;) The buildings and pools show wear/age - with some pool tiles missing (one pool closed for renovation while we were there), mildew or drainage stains obvious on some exterior wall paint (they were painting in the front when we left) and water stains on some of the snack-restaurant ceilings. Because of this I cannot rate the resort higher - but I had the feeling when the place was newer it was a 5-star resort, as the layout and amenities were much better then some of the other resorts we saw on our trip and when talking to other travellers. I also felt 'safe' while on the grounds.

The BEACH: The Platinum rooms and townhouses have a private beach area with cushioned lounge chairs (plastic mesh everywhere else), lots of 'hut' shade, massages on the beach and the beach itself is really nice with soft sand. I noticed the beach in front of the Sunset Princess had more seaweed and the ocean itself had a large seaweed section.... many people would wander down to our beach to swim as the water was clear :) I saw other people with special Platinum towels, we were not told how to get these and just got our blue towels from the servers in the Platinum area. Also there is bar service in the Platinum area (served from the large bar off the main Princess beach area)... for us this was touch and go. I actually got angry twice at the servers.... since there is nothing worse then being thirsty and waiting the 15 to 30 minutes for your drink order to return, only to have them forget your order. I tried tipping larger - but it did not make a difference on the service. At the end, I watched a server give my drink away to someone else who had just arrived on the beach and then when coming to us - apologized and said they would be 'right back' and when the next server returned 20 minutes later - still did not have my drink. OK so it might be because we would only order 2 Pepsi's, but still we were tipping 100 pesos ($7 CAD)... and it gets hot on the beach.... so a drink is an important part of the service. We started bringing drinks from our room, just in case the servers didn't show up. I know it is not that busy for our time of year and perhaps that was the issue - with less servers on the beach.

The CHECK-IN: Our vacation package included a large/great quality bus transport from Cancun Airport, with great instructions on how to find them (though they changed our bus with some confusion between the drivers). Upon arrival at the resort, we were supposed to have special check-in for Platinum customers - but there was no signage or instruction to us, so we went to the regular check in counter and they said that we were to check in with them. I am pretty sure this was a lack of communication - as I could see the Sunwing customers all getting champagne. Check in was pretty quick and easy, but we were given NO instructions as to what our Platinum benefits really included (even after asking the check-in clerk), as the website was a bit vague. Our luggage was whisked away and we went downstairs to the 'golf cart' shuttle location (also vague). The server who delivered our bags met us at our room and was very helpful in answering our 'Platinum' questions and told us to go see the Platinum Concierge. We did so and were able to get a couple more questions answered, and dinner for that night. But over the days ahead, we noticed other Platinum guests were individually carted to the Platinum loge, given a drink and a full-review of their Platinum benefits - which included making dinner reservations. So I was a bit disgruntled at the work we had to do to find information (as noted above, never did find out how to get Platinum towels). Also the website DOES NOT tell you that the 'special dinner' included in the Platinum package is only on THURSDAY night (we arrived Friday and left Thursday afternoon, as luck would have it). So if you want to take advantage of this fun night - keep your calendar clear for excursions on Thursday evening. As you might tell - I am pretty detailed and was fortunate to know we needed to book dinner reservations ASAP, so we at least got that done. As for the rest of you purchasing the Platinum package - I am sure your experience will be much better then ours! Be sure to tell everyone you can before checking in that you are a Platinum customer ;)

The ROOM: Other then a mildewy smell (likely everywhere because it is the tropics) the room was great! This Platinum room had a walk in rain shower, separate toilet room (glass door for those of you shy), large Jet Tub, dual sinks, magnified/lighted make-up mirror, hair dryer mounted (I hate the loose ones), full size shampoo/conditioner/body wash and ample soap, robes with slippers, comfy bed (Platinum customers can get special or down pillows from the Platinum lounge), nice sitting area with two apples, 5th size bottle of Rum, Vodka & Tequila with refillable beer/water/soda in the mini-bar, coffee makers is an Espresso machine with daily refill - no creamer though - I had to take some from the Platinum lounge, and large balcony with another jet tub (closet with safe, ironing board, etc too). The room was very clean and our daily service did a great job - leaving animal designed towels on our bed each day. One night we got a special knock with chocolates :) TV has very few english programs, so we found ourselves with CNN on when lounging, but so little time actually spent in the room - LOL. I was shocked there were NO in-room movie channels.... when I asked - we were offered a selection of DVD's, but had no DVD player we could find in our room. we had some neighbours, which we could NOT hear, except for slamming the entry door (couldn't hear them when they closed it quietly) Overall I was very happy with the room!

The FOOD: We ate Breakfast and Lunch at the Platinum Snack Buffet every day. The food taste was fine, I would not say great - think Denny's Buffet. If you want an omelette, pick your goodies first then give them to the cook (there is no instruction to do this). If you want cheddar cheese, grab it from the salad bar and bring it to the omelette station. Lots and lots of selection to choose from - which was great. I noticed 'normal' hours to eat (8am breakfast and high-noon lunch) was hardly anyone there, but later (9-10am or 1-2pm) was busier. Platinum rooms have free room service, which we never used because you need to place your order in advance.
As for Dinners, we ate at the French and Seafood restaurants, which are only inclusive with Platinum (normal rooms pay a fee for these two) and at the Mexican and Fondue. All were good 3.5-star taste (think Red Lobster) and service/ambiance was similar to 4.5-star. I paid to upgrade to Lobster at the French restaurant and it was a very large portion tail. Unfortunately our evening at the Mexican restaurant was disturbed by a very rowdy/loud group where I could not even talk to my husband. I didn't see the servers say anything to them - they were obviously drunk. Thankfully they finished and left about an hour into our dinner (allow approx 1.5 to 2hrs for each dinner). Servers are very good about taking your initial drink order, but a little slow on the refills and you need to ask for coffee/espresso when they offer dessert. All the menus are in Spanish and English - but I also saw other languages, so if you need French or Russian, just ask! NOTE: the writing is small for the daily specials - so if you typically use reading glasses... bring them! LOL

TIPPING: Bring lots of small US dollars or Pesos so you can tip at each meal, your maid, bar servers on the beach, taxi and shuttle drivers. The staff seem to work very hard, are VERY nice and appreciative of any tip! Communication (understanding) was sometimes a challenge, even when I tried spanish, if you are ordering or asking questions 'outside the box' of normal. Examples are when we were asking about the Platinum towels, which I pointed to, but was brought 2 blue towels again.... or when asking for a Pina Colada with no alcohol - nope it came with rum.... you get the idea ;) They try really hard though.

The SPA: The Platinum customers get a couples day in the Spa common area. We really enjoyed the lap pool, jet massages, hot tub and steam showers - with a nice dressing room. You can stay as long as you want on the day you come in - so great for stormy/rainy days! There were a couple amenities here that were also out-of-service, reflective of prior comments, but overall very nice and pool water was very warm.

EXCURSIONS: I booked ours before arriving and had to spend a ton of time ensuring what I was looking at was a decent trip. But I should have waited, because this resort has BD Travel right there, easily accessible, and they were amazing and well priced!!

KIDS: Ours are grown, so we look for more of a Adult Only experience - but this resort has a kids facility for families and I noticed most families book without the Platinum package and eat mostly in the front Buffets. We were not bothered by any children during our entire visit, which was a concern when I booked (as again we typically like adult only). I think both families and couple will be happy - but suggest couples book the Platinum package to ensure more privacy/quiet.

OK - well I am sorry if this is a little too detailed and a long read for any of you who made it to the end!! But I wish I had a review like this that I read before I arrived (and I did read several of the reviews).

Overall I think you will be happy with this resort, unless you are used to staying at the Ritz or true 5-star locations. For the price I paid - this was a GREAT deal.

Room Tip: Platinum is a must for the price and amenities included.
  • Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Travelalot247

Dear Travelalot247,

First of all, thank you for choosing Grand Riviera Princess as your holiday destination and for taking the time to share your detailed review with our TripAdvisor readers.
We would like to share with all our future guests that the Platinum is an exclusive and private area of limited access located in the Grand Riviera Princess. The exclusivity is reflected in added amenities of high quality and exclusive beach area that will delight guests, who also enjoy all the facilities and amenities of our five stars hotel. All the information it is available online if have special requests do not hesitate in contact us at community.riviera@princess-hotels.com
For us it is very important that our guests are satisfied and rested. And we really appreciated for taking the time to write this review, definitely, we will address to make the proper improvements.
We sincerely hope you do decide us to visit us once again in the near future. We promise we would do our best to exceed all of your expectations!
Warm regards from Mexico!

Reviewed November 19, 2017

A large well maintained complex. Plenty of pools to choose from - one of the large main pools was closed for maintenance and it would have been nice to be told before arrival. The majority of staff here are all extremely friendly and helpful. it is therefore a shame that the reception really lets this down. After a long flight from the UK, a quick airport transfer we then had to wait 40 mins to check in (there were only 3 people in front of us the staff were just slow). We also had to queue to check out about 20 people in front of us - why don't they just stagger the checkout times. The resort is huge and connects via pleasant pathways around the pools and down to the beach. The beach area is really lively, beach bar well managed and also entertainment on the beach for all ages. There is a roped off area for the "Platinum" guests but it is very shady. The waiting staff do an excellent job and soon know not just what your favourite cocktail is but also what time you want it - amazing. There are a range of a la Carte restaurants to choose from. Although you have to book they were mostly empty. The food is ok and better than going to the buffet. The Japanese restaurant is fun and very entertaining. At the Hacienda we had awful service, we had to ask waiters from another section for drinks and the wrong dishes turned up - not just us but all the tables in our section. There is a large central square where you can find the theatre, gym, spa and nightly shows . Most people congregate around here. One evening there was a very popular market. there are also good shops on sight for souvenirs or self indulgence.

• Stayed: November 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VivAnn73

Dear VivAnn73,

Thank you so much for leaving us your review. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you had during your check-in process, definitely, this will be addressed with the proper department. On the other hand, we like to read our staff were always able to assist you and they bring you a personalized attention.
We sincerely hope you do decide us to visit us once again in the near future. We promise we would do our best to exceed all of your expectations.
PS. The Mexican market is on Thursdays and the artisans bring their products to the main plaza.

Reviewed November 18, 2017 via mobile

We travelled to this resort and stayed at the Platinum lodging area. Lupita and all of the beach butlers provided excellent service. They were friendly, responsive, and willing to check on us throughout the day. Their service and friendly smiles were excellent and exceeded our expectations. Thank you for an amazing vacation, we will definitely be back.

Stayed: November 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jeff A
Princess_RivieraMaya, Community Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2017

Dear Jeff A,

We are absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at Grand Riviera Princess. Thank you so much for your kind words to our staff, especially from Lupita, we are sure that she will be happy to hear from you.
It was and it always will be a pleasure to host your vacations! We look forward to welcoming you soon for another superb vacation!
Warm regards!