“The most perfect vacation! (MUST READ)”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #78 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“The most perfect vacation! (MUST READ)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Im not sure where to start, so here it goes! If you have booked, or are planning to book at the grand riviera princess, and want to read about it please read my review. You will not regret it. PLEASE do not listen to any of the negative reviews, because nothing stated in them was true. This is a long review but I will be talking about my great experience at the Grand Riviera Princess.

First of all we are a family of 4 my wife, my 2 teenagers and myself. We were at the Grand riviera Princess from August 4-11, 2014. I must also say before starting this review that we are a very picky family, and cannot deal with something below great quality.

ARRIVAL:
Once we landed in Cancun Mexico, we were greeted by a very nice gentleman which drove us to the Grand Riviera Princess, which took about 30 mins. The pathway leading up to the resort is not very assuring, however upon arrival to the front lobby, we were shocked at the maintenance and cleanliness of the resort. We then got into the lobby and were greeted by the very friendly bell boys which took our bags. Then shortly the very nice young lady that gave us a nice pineapple drink upon arrival. We got in the lobby earlier than the others so there was no line at the check-in desk at around 2:40.The process of check-in was so easy, and took about 10-15 minutes. We had booked in 2 rooms, however the lady told us there was only 1 room ready at the time and the second should be ready in a few minutes. She then suggested we go catch the lunch buffet which closed at 3:00. We went and what a great suggestion it was! There were huge pieces of t-bone steaks, and chicken breasts that are spiced to your liking then grilled fresh for you. There were salads, fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, poultry and so much more. Most of the items we had tasted were great and we were all very happy. We were then greeted by the manager which was probably one of the best people we have encountered during this vacation. He was dressed in black attire. I don't remember his name. By the time we ate the first plate the buffet was ready to close, however the manager instructed the chef to make us another steak. By the time we returned to the lobby, our 2 rooms were ready, and or luggage was already on its way.We took the trolly from the main lobby which was driven by a very funny, friendly man that took us right to our rooms. (Deluxe Junior Suites) The setting of our room was great! It was just a 1 minute walk from the party pools, and the quite pool. As well as the Las Olas restaurant and the snack buffet. The lobby was about a 4-5 minute walk from our rooms. So not a lot of walking at all. We got up to our rooms and they were very beautiful, spacious and clean. Not even a speck of dust. Our luggage came about 5 minutes after we arrived to our rooms.

POOLS/BEACH:
During our trip we went to 3 pools; The 2 party pools and the quiet pool. They were all amazing. The party pools always had music blasting, the people were lively and there were always activities going on, which were very entertaining and fun. There was a swim up bar located inside all pools which served great drinks. I would like to give a special thanks to Celsa at one of the swim up bars for her sense of humour and friendliness, she always made sure we were taken care of, and greeted us with a very welcoming tone and a warm smile. The pools are always very clean, and well maintained. There were always staff collecting the empty cups and things left by the customers. There was always some where to sit, it was very rare ending up sitting with no shade. The beach was amazing! So beautiful! A lot of reviews say that its rocky, however I didn't encounter a problem with rocks. I always sat at the area in front of the bar at the beach so maybe try sitting there when you go, because there were no rocks there. There was always shade and the sand is white and very soft. I spent at least 2-3 hours at the beach everyday, and it was an enjoyment everyday. There was always food, snacks such as burgers, salads, nachos and hotdogs were available. I only tried the burgers and nachos and they were very good. There was also a bar which served delicious drinks, and loungers were plentiful, we always found somewhere to sit with shade. So I would give all the pools, and the beach 5 stars!

FOOD:
On our trip we spent 4 evenings at the buffet, however we did get to try 3 a la cartes. Which were Las Olas (seafood), La Vaqueria (The grill), and Mama Mia (italian.) Las Olas was amazing! If you like seafood, this is the restaurant where you need to be. We took the princess plate which consisted of fish fillets, calamari, squid, mussels, clams, and shrimp. It was very good,and filling. It was also well spiced, and not at all bland. La Vaqueria was great as well. If you do end up eating here, I would recommend you get the t-bone steak plate, as it was the best plate we enjoyed there. We tried the flan steak, and the grilled chicken there, but they were not quite as good. Lastly, Mama Mia. It was good as well. However they give very small portions. We had ordered bruschetta for an appetizer and they gave us a very small piece of bread with some tomatoes and parmesan on it. We weren't overly impresses considering the bread was soggy as well. I also should add that the process of booking in a la carte restaurants is not at all a chore! On thursday night in this resort, we went to the desk where you have to make the reservations and she booked restaurants for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It was not a hard process at all. She was very nice and always had a smile on her face. The buffet was very good, and every night they had a different theme. By the 4th day on our trip we got sick of the buffet as it became kind of repetitive so that is why we booked at the a la carte restaurants. So I would give the food at this resort 4 1/2 stars.

SERVICE:
The service at this resort was one of the highlights during our stay. We never encountered someone without a sense of humour and a friendly smile on their face. The trolly drivers were very friendly and always joked around, the staff in the buffets were very funny as well, very welcoming and always made sure you have enough drinks, your table is clean, and your well taken care of. There are too many servers to name because they were all very, very nice. The people at the check in desk, and the concierge were also great people, with no attitude whatsoever! We did encounter a problem where my daughter lost her resort bracelet (you receive it at check in), but they didn't even hesitate to give her a new one with no cost. Not even 1 problem encountered with any of the staff. The staff never seemed to be expecting a tip, however we did anyways to thank them for their great service. Some staff did speak very little English but you could still understand what they wanted to say. So definitely 5 stars for service!

MAINTENANCE:
This was also a very strong point for this resort. It is a very large resort so one would think it should be hard for them to keep it clean, but think again! Throughout the whole resort we did not see any garbage or any thing that was not clean. There was always people around the resort cleaning the windows, and doors, shining the floors, picking up the garbage, trimming the trees/bushes, and even sweeping the ground after it rains. After about 5 minutes its not possible to determine whether it had rained or not. This is probably the cleanest, and most well maintained resort there is. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would!

ENTERTAINMENT/TRANSPORTATION:
The entertainment at this resort is very good! Everyday at the party pool, and beach there were activities such as, water polo, beach volleyball, aerobics, dancing in the pool, pool volleyball, ping pong tournaments, and so much more. Every night at 9:30 pm there was a show in the theatre which was located on the upper floor at the lobby. They had a different theme/show every night. They were very colourful, entertaining, and very skilled. All entertainment staff were amazing, and very flexible. One night they were impersonating popstars, and they got a standing ovation from how well they were dancing. Its a must see! There is also a nightclub located in the lobby, but is only accessible if you are over 18. Its very bright, and they have a great collection of songs. There are lots of excursions at/close to the resort like the coco bongo, rock climbing, seeing chichen itza, and more, however we just wanted to enjoy the resort. But we ended up spending about 2hrs at a close (10-15 min taxi ride) shopping centre called "5th Avenue." There are a lot of nice stores, souvenir shops, and restaurants located there. We got very nice souvenirs, and treats from 5th avenue. If you go at night, they host special light shows and dancing as well! I would recommend you check it out during your stay. The transportation is plentiful at this resort as well.There always taxis at the front of the resort available for everyone, as well as collectivos, buses, etc. There is also a rent-a-car store in the lobby where you can rent a car for a certain time, for a certain amount of money. The trolly that moves throughout the resort is not a pain at all! It goes through the whole resort you can take it from in front of your room, lobby, or restaurants, and you can tell the driver where you want to go and he will take you. Even the beach! It says it comes around every 10-15 minutes, but it usually comes earlier. It also always tells you when the next stop is, so you don't have to wait out in the heat for long.

Overall this was the most perfect vacation we have been on, and we are already planning to organize another visit next year! We will hopefully be returning to the Grand Riviera Princess again! Definitely a 5 star resort! Couldn't ask for anything better. Once again please don't listen to bad reviews, they made me worry when I was planning my trip, but it turned out the best resort I have ever been to! Have fun on your trip.

27 Thank Tarek D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,820)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

PROS:
- The rooms are nice, beach is beautiful. Only thing it has going. I so wanted to fall in love and was optimistic after reading other positive and negative reviews.

CONS:
- resort is huge. I've stayed at large resorts in the past, but this seems laid out in a way that requires tons of walking. I nor my husband minded but with a small child it's too much for them. We stayed in 6100 building which was closer to the beach, but for dinner and to get to the lobby area (to make reservations, handle internet problems, etc.) it became a pain in the but. They offer shuttle service but like others have said, it is always packed, waits are long, and most of the people (vacationers) did not have the courtesy to wait in line. Example, my husband and 3 kids were waiting for 15 minutes for a shuttle, another family of 8 came and waited also. As soon as the shuttle came, they jumped in and we had to wait for the next one. Common courtesy people..I was furious!
- The buffet gets old after the 2nd day. Same food, juices are too sweet and really don't taste natural. Hard to get drinks/service from the wait staff. Everyone looks miserable.
- No one has a sense of urgency for drinks. I remember going to maya riviera a few years back and service was quick, friendly and they seemed to enjoy what they did.
- Tons of people soliciting for massages, braids, etc. Gets old quick.
- Internet is awful. We ordered 3 days and could never stay on for more than a minute before we got kicked out. My husband complained and wanted a refund. He was able to get full internet service inside the concierge office, which was good for the 10 minutes he spent there but not what he paid for. We are still waiting for the hotel to refund our money back since they use that specific service provider which I feel they should also be responsible for if they are advertising it.
- Dinner reservations are a joke. I wanted to reserve for the day after we arrived and they said they were all full. For the following day they only had 1 restaurant option. We got to eat at 2 restaurants for our stay. Mind you I made 3 reservations (1 day we went to xcaret so we couldn't make it) The mexican one was horrible. tasteless, low grade meats and seemed like the buffet. We had terrible service and wanted to order dessert and waited for 30 minutes before we left. No one came to our table and it seemed that as soon as they dropped off our meals they left for good. I also don't understand how their reservations are full when half of the restaurant was empty for the 2.5 hours we stayed there. Horrible!!!
- I would not recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

2 Thank Patricia D
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Patricia,

We are very sorry that you had such a disappointing experience at our Hotel; we are also disappointed that you have left with such a negative perception.

There is no excuse for any of the things you have mentioned here so all I can tell you is that I hope you will give us another chance and that we can change your perception on the negative points you mention here.

If you decide to come back, please contact me directly once you have reserved and I will personally make sure that you have a wonderful experience.

community.riviera@princess-hotels.com
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

So this is our 3rd trip here in 2 years. We paid for Platinum service which means superior service from A to Z. 1st off, checking in was fine but getting our keys when the room was ready was a pain. We werr told to pickup the keys at the GENERAL LINE. We waited 2 minutes in a line which was very long, we got tired and went back to the Platinum line and an agent got the keys for us. We were told they do it this way if short of staff. We have never been here in August but it appears to be their peak and the amount staff seems the same. 2nd, we went to the MAIN buffet at 8.30pm and the line was long (10min wait) to be seated. The worse part was the service or should I say NO SERVICE. They ran out of glasses for drinks. NO WAITER even showed up to get our drinks. NO NAPKINS whatsoever at the table. I managed to find ONE cloth napkin at the waiters station. Finally after 25 minutes of eating we got a busboy to get us some paper napkins. The entire 1 hour dinner experience we did NOT see ONE waiter. Our plates (party of 7) simply piled up like Mount Rushmore. Looking around abd comparing the number of waitinv staff compared to pervious visits it appears the number of staffing has not changed to accommodate the increase in visitors to the hotel. 3rd, is it my imagination or lack of luck, 3 out of 3 times of booking and asking for a Kingbed, we ended up with 2 queens. Instead of complaining we simply dealt with it. 4th, they are expanding the resort to include a lot more adult only room on the Yucatan side and I DO NOT SEE any new building which would indicate addition dining options, ultimately it means those people will be dining in the same areas which were built with the original plans. The beach is not expanding due to the lack of land, so this means you will be fighting for primo space or even just space at the beach. As of now, it seems to be fine to find good space at the beach even during this peak period but once the new buildings are up and running, things will likely get hairy at time for primo beach space. I have been a firm believer of the Grand Princess at Playa Del Carmen but I am uncertain at the level of service it can offer in the future. I see service decreasing. I have always wanted to try the Barcelo Grand so I think that will be the next resort instead of Princess. 8.10.14 to 8.20.14. PS beach has lots of seaweed so if you need pristine Cancun like beach and sand then this is NOT the resort for you. I hope this helps everyone who have not been here before. PS the grounds is beautiful STILL. MQT-69 @ Las Vegas

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mqt1969
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. It is regrettable to hear how disappointing your stay was. We apologize for the inconveniences and lack of customer service you experienced.

Furthermore, we would like to let you know we are very devoted to our guests, and the staff is committed to understand, help and satisfy all of your needs. Thank you for letting us know the inconveniences you had so we can enforce and improve the service, as your comfort and satisfaction is really important to us.

We reiterate once again our sincere apologies for any setbacks you experienced and hopefully you can give us another opportunity to welcome you again so we can enhance your perception of our hotel.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

We spent 4 days there. They told us we were not allowed to go to all the restaurants, and that we needed to make reservation for the ones we were allowed (excluding the buffet).
So I went there and the staff told me they were all full for the next 3 days.

We ate at the buffet and the 4 of us got really sick.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Priscilla G
Dear Priscilla G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize that your stay was not up to your standards and appreciate you sharing your feedback.

However I would like to clarify that our rules for the ala carte restaurants are for all our guests; I regret if this situation affected your stay with us.

Guest feedback is very important to us and is used as a tool to better serve future guests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Bes Regards,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

We were at Gran Riviera Princess from 8/4/14 to8/10/14.A family of 4.We got early to the Hotel,so check in was at 3pm.However, we new about it and went prepared with towels and bathing clothes in our carry on luggage.The rest of the luggage they take care of it.So we went to the buffet and pools .That was a good idea!You can change on a nearby restroom close to the pools.

We had a wonderful time .Our room was a deluxe suite and had a jacuzzi, building 6 which is between the lobby and the beach.Yes, the resort is huge,but you do logistic,if you want to be in a pool and close to the beach at the same time, then go to the pools that are close to the beach,both have breakfast and buffet during the day and they are not crowded at all.
Unfortunately the beach wasn't that good during the week lots of waves during that time,but still is beautiful.The food at he beach bar is good(hot dogs and hamburgers)really good.Pools close at 8.I would recommend try to get a swim up room if you can they are excellent.

The beer at the bars was dos x ,the drinks good ,they prepare them as you wish.Regards to Celsa the bar tender at the pool bar next to fundu, the best mojitos ever.She definitely deserves a good review as well as the other bar tenders on that pool.

The food at the buffet was good ,I don't know what people complain about it,I've been in other Hotels and this one is not bad.Good quality,clean,variety,the service at the buffets was very good.We reserved for 3 restaurants, Miso(very good) ask for the show.Fundu,also good but take to long to serve the food as well in la Hacienda( Mexican food) which was excellent what can I say.
Regards to Gaspar and Gerardo the jetski people,very fast and ready to help.I enjoy the jetski with my son and daughter ,I rented one for an hour(130$Usd),expensive but fantastic.I did my reservation through Expedia, they have a representative called Julio,in case you need help.
We did the tour with a company called USA transfers, we use them also for the air port round trip, very fast and punctual.You can do that on their web site.Also we visit Playa del Carmen town on Friday,went to 5th avenue, very safe,good for buying souvenirs always remember to bargain.We decided to visit mamitas club, very beautiful beach but expensive,5$ a beer,10 one chair,10$ the umbrella,better of go to the Hotel next to it,and pay one day pass(50$) and consume 30% of it,included.We ate at the Vagamunda restaurant on 5th ave, very good.

If you're going to Xelha or Xcaret better to book the entire day,in Playa del Carmen the tours are cheaper.

Fantastic vacation, great property,rooms are beautiful,always tip if you can dough it is not necessary.We could not do visit everything in the Hotel is to big.Pools are always very clean,plenty of shadow and chairs,got there early if you want specific spot and put your towels on each chair you want.
The beach is not the best but not the worst.However not like in Cozumel.

Room Tip: Building 6 is close to the pools and the beach in between the beach and the lobby. Try not to get t...
2 Thank YosvyH
Dear YosvyH,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. All comments are very important to us in order to work even better and improve all our services and amenities.

Once again, we appreciate your kind comments of our resort and look forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

salt lake
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

We arrived to the Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort and Spa on August 6th, let me start by saying the minute we arrived they pushed us to purchase the upgrade to the platinum adults only area which was an extra $270 USD. We thought based on what they said this would allow us to make it easier during our stay for concierge services as well as restaurant reservations.
Our group was 14 total and 7 rooms, we all ended up paying extra to be on this area we paid extra. What we didn’t realize if that this area was missed advertised, we didn’t get no special services, no priority on any of the restaurant reservations.. Actually when we would go see in reality if the restaurants where booked completely to our surprise we realized they were empty. One of the couples traveling with us also got $200 USD stolen from their room, when they called to report the issue they claimed they would send some one, who never showed up. They don’t take their customer serious
We went to complaint twice about this to the concierge who kept telling us there was nothing they could do. The hotel seemed busy however the hotel seemed way understaffed, they were very unfriendly and angry most of the times. They claimed they had 21 bars however most of them would close by 5pm.The food quality was terrible, they made no effort to make our stay a pleasant one, and at the end of the day had no benefits what so ever from the so called “upgrade” to platinum they charged $270 USD to each couple.
I would like to call out however the following employees who truly tried to go beyond their surroundings and the hotel terrible customer service to provide good service… Yara (beach bar), Lidia and Sergio.
I do not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank angelaramirezus
Dear Angela,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with others on TripAdvisor which we will take in the highest consideration.

We are very concerned for the fact that your stay with us was not up what you expected; so we would like to take this opportunity to express our sincerest regret for the situations described.

I would like to explain that our platinum guests can take advantage and book in advance the ala carte restaurants before their arrival, however when our guests pay the upgrade in the hotel, their dinner reservations are subject to availability.

Concerning about the 200 Dollars we do not have any report about this situation.

We sincerely hope to get an opportunity from you and be able to totally change your perception by making you enjoy of our various restaurants and different facilities and services which complies with the highest standards of service.

Do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to choose us once more for a future vacation and we will be more than pleased to change your experience.

Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family and I stayed at this resort from August 2-9, 2014. We stayed in the Platinum suites and the service was excellent with the exception of the check-in and check-out as the lines did not go quickly. The alcohol/bar provided in the Platinum suite was terrible, definitely not "top shelf" and the drinks were nothing spectacular! Platinum suite guests are entitled to top shelf alcohol however you must point out this fact to the bar tenders or you end up with the cheap stuff. The staff are very friendly and try hard to please you, although many of them do not speak much English. The grounds at this hotel are beautiful and well maintained! The resort is huge, however the Platinum suites did have a shuttle that ran every 15 minutes up to the main lobby if you chose not to walk. The food in the a'la cart restaurants was somewhat disappointing with the exception of Mama Mia and Miso. The main buffet was excellent. One word of caution...the floors are very slippery, especially when they are wet! Despite the numerous signs warning of same, both my husband and I took more than our share of falls in the pool area as well as the hallways leading to our room. While the highly glossed floors look beautiful, I can't for the life of me understand why a resort would not install some kind of non-slip surface to avoid slip & fall injuries. The ocean was lovely but there was quite a bit of seaweed to contend with. The staff did their best to rake it up each morning. There are some rocks/coral on the bottom but it is not sharp and we did not require swim shoes, you just have to be careful where you step. The many cats on the property were friendly and we enjoyed our daily visits. The Coaties are also a very interesting site.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Platinum suites, the extra cost was well worth it. The outdoor jetted...
2 Thank Danad123
Dear Danad123

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your platinum suite, and appreciate you pointing out several areas for improvement. Your feedback will be reviewed by our management team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future and to exceed your expectations.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 213 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,179 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,440 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,146 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!