“Great hotel and amenities”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bavaro, Dominican Republic
“Great hotel and amenities”
Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel, the first impression at the Lobby is WOW !!! Is huge and very modern.

The rooms are really good, decent size and great amenities.

They have several swimming pools (12) and the swim up bar area is the best area to be.

I will recommend this to all my friends as is a gret hotel

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank gabymax

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,845)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We just returned yesterday from our trip and my wife an I really enjoyed the resort. Arrival was easy with check in taking a few brief moments with champagne thrown in. Bags were delivered to the room very quickly with the bell hop eager to answer a few questions we had. We made reservations for our dinners shortly thereafter. A couple of nights only had later times (after 8) available but that's usually our preferred dinner time anyway.

We had a deluxe junior suite. Before seeing the room I had inquired about an upgrade and was told one may be available the next day. After seeing the room, we decided against an upgrade. Our room was somewhat centrally located but a bit nearer the main building which was ideal for us. It had a great view overlooking the beautifully manicured grounds and clean pool but far enough away from the party pool(s) to give us some quiet which is more our speed.

As people have said the resort is huge and it is a good 10 minute walk from main building to beach. Didn't bother us and we actually embraced it given how much more we were drinking and eating than normal. It was welcome exercise and not overwhelming to say the least.

Staff was friendly many times not just directing us to a location but walking us most of the way there. Drinks were plentiful and short waits. Food was plentiful and the variety was just fine. Yes, the buffets had much of the same selection but there were always some new items...its a buffet...its not going to change all that much. A la carte service was excellent as was the service across the resort as a whole.

The only minor "complaint" we would make is that the food was good, not great. Its presentation set you up for something special and then it was just good. It was still much better than cooking for ourselves and was still of good quality, not bad. It just didn't have the sizzle that it looked like it would have before it hit your mouth.

Beach was fine. To the left was perfect. To the right it was a touch rocky out a few feet but still quite nice. Never had any problems with vendors in the way that people have mentioned. A few gents walking past with stuff to sell but infrequently, not very pushy, and hardly a nuisance.

Didn't take in much entertainment. The one show we did, we didn't like and left. Plenty of things to do so why endure something we didn't care for. The gym was more than suitable for what we were looking for. Free wi-fi would be nice but being 'forced' to unplug probably helped us more than hurt us.

Place is a people watching fiesta as old, middle, and young come here as well as many different cultures and types. Was fantastic 'blend' of people.

Is this a true 5 star? Probably not. I can think of ways to be pampered more if that's your thing, or better food, or better liquor, or high class entertainment. But its a 5 start rating because for its price point, I don't think it could be much more. It's a 5 star value for sure.

We would go back for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DJPGoebert
Gatineau
Reviewed May 5, 2014

I apologize for the length of this review but I am writing this as a reference for myself, as well as for anyone who reads my comments, as I hope to visit again and remember the good and the not so good. I want to give an Excellent rating but a few things are preventing me from doing that. The main problem is inconsistency in terms of services. I visited alone in January 2014 (Sunset Swim Out Room 3006) and last week, April 24 - May 1, in Yucatan Adults only Swim Out Suite. January is Mexico's coldest month, this year especially, and I barely used the Swim Out as the water was really cold; used the quiet main pool instead which received more sun. Before I go further, I must mention that I am 61 years old, and my rowdy days of the 60's and 70's are behind me, so what I want in a resort is a quiet, relaxing visit. In April, the swim out was essential and I used the pool constantly, only went to the beach once which I do regret. It should be noted that the swim out pool areas of Sunset and Riviera are much wider than that of the one Yucatan building that has been completed. The upgrade to Platinum (which includes the Yucatan suites) are supposed to provide the following not included in Sunset or Riviera Junior or Junior Deluxe: bathrobes and slippers, kleenex in the room, larger Platinum lounge towels, wifi in room, (which has the best reception on the balcony or on the pool deck), bath salts for the jacuzzi, Princess beach bag, separate concierge and bars other than those located in the main lobby, body lotion, evening towel service, fruit basket in room upon arrival, complimentary spa visit, automatic booking of the international restaurant La Fleur, premium alcohol in room, nightly turn down service, incense in room. I may have forgotten a few things but in future, if I choose to return, I may opt for the Sunset swim out again as an internet card for my iPad can be purchased for $70 for an entire week when used in the main lobby. How much internet does one need on vacation and that was really the only perk I really wanted yet rarely used? Or, I may upgrade to Laguna for the quiet of that area, yet not having a swim out would be a true loss. Yes, I am boring. To any readers who want quiet, do not book a room near any of the pool/party bars. On the Sunset side swim-outs, avoid the 2000 area rooms; go for 3000; I had 3006 which was perfect except for the headboard which had a horrible scrubbed off mess whose origin I can only imagine. I mentioned the stain in January but no reaction from staff. In the current fully constructed Yucatan building, we had room 31017, lovely 'neighbours' from various parts of Canada and Britain. When it got noisy at the bar, I would have liked to be farther away but that only happened two days of our stay. Quietest swim out Yucatan room: 31079. Of course, noise depends on the visitors and Adults Only means 18 and up. Although 20 somethings are probably consistently more rowdy, as I once was!, than senior citizens like myself, one can always get unlucky and be next to or near a rude, drunken 50++++ visitor. The risk one takes with all-inclusive resorts. No longer being an adventurous person, I am happy to now know, I think, all the ins and outs of this resort and don't know that I'd want to take a chance on another resort in the Riviera Maya.

What I love:

A huge variety of delicious, carefully prepared and presented food at the buffets. Never anything to complain about there. Of course, some items that didn't thrill me but there were always so many other things to try. The restaurants are okay, but we definitely prefer the buffets with the various theme nights. In Platinum, the concierge makes the reservations but the system is no different from a more basic room except that La Fleur and Las Olas are included in Deluxe and Platinum rooms. Visiting from Canada, including the airfare, for between $1500 and $2000 for one week, I don't expect 5-star restaurants as I would find in Montréal. For what I paid, La Fleur, Las Olas, La Hacienda, Vacquiera were just okay. Didn't try any others. Great fish, but shrimp are either salad shrimp in prepared dishes or long shrimp with the heads still on and for me, virtually impossible to peel neatly as I stare at the antenna.

The cleanliness. This resort is spotless and I have so much admiration for the housekeeping staff. The sidewalks are washed every night and sitting on my terrace one evening, I spotted a cleaner dusting the wooden fence than runs parallel to the Yucatan building in the dark! Also, the bed linens and mattress on the King bed were lovely and comfortable.

The gardens. Simply stunning. The middle pathways that lead from the lobbies to the beach are lined with beautiful reproductions of Mayan sculptures. Yes, there are shuttles on the outer pathways on this huge resort but walking around this site is a joy. Although the resort is vast, it is completely possible to be anonymous and alone; there is always some spot one can find to just sit and people-watch from a distance or read in total quiet and be all alone and feel totally safe. The security is excellent here. The main plaza bar is virtually empty mid-day and I so enjoyed basking in the sun there with one of my umpteem delicious cappucinos or melon daiquiris.

The service. Overall, excellent, with just a few exceptions to follow. The Mexican staff must get so tired of always saying 'Hola' to every passing tourist but they always return a smile with a smile and a greeting.

Love the tiled rain shower!!

The minor (???) negative points:

Ice!! Sunset had an ice machine on second floor and in Yucatan, on four occasions, I asked for its location. The maids said there was no ice machine and two different concierges gave me two different locations, neither of which had an ice machine. I eventually found, on my own, a plastered- over wall that once held an ice machine so I spent a lot of time running to the Yucatan bar for ice; I like ice-cold water and it was hot and humid in April.

Platinum perks not received: We never had turn down service even one night of our stay. We had to make phone calls to request the following which should have been in our room upon arrival: Platinum beach towels, premium liquor, Princess beach bags. A concierge desk is at the top of the stairs on the third floor but never once did I see a concierge sitting there. Eventually I discovered, on my own, the concierge in the Yucatan bar. I am not a real drinker of anything but wine or beer so had no occasion to frequent the bar. Once I had located the concierge there, (the hotel at reception explains virtually nothing except to give out the map), I found a reliable ice source. However, each of the 4-5 times I tried to get fresh Platinum lounge towels, there were never any available and we used the same towels for our entire stay. These towels should be placed in the room every morning to make things simpler.

Our refrigerator was not re-stocked at any time during our Yucatan upgrade visit. It was stocked daily when I stayed in Sunset in January. This meant calling room service on many occasions for what should have been replaced automatically: drinking water, beer, soft drinks. And, the only occasion where service was insulting. One call for said drinking water saw us visited by a member of staff who held out his hand for a tip. My husband had no $1 bills, smallest a $10. The man wasn't smiling and handed my husband $5 in change. We tipped throughout our stay, the tips are pooled, I was told, and never once felt pressure to tip in this resort where service is included according to their rates as posted in the lobbies. We did it voluntarily and were astounded by this server's rudeness.

Our first two days in what we thought was a quiet, Adults Only Platinum accomadation, was filled with noise and from heavy drinkers and people not wearing the Yucatan bracelet. I spoke to the concierge in the main lobby and he promised to upgrade us to Laguna if a room became available. We never had any follow-up to this complaint/offer, one way or the other. On the other hand, our Yucatan neighbours made the same complaint, and twice were contacted for an upgrade to Laguna which they decided to refuse as the swim out pool was important to have given the heat during our time there. Obviously, there were rooms available. The day before our check-out when I paid my spa bill in order to save time for our early morning departure, I mentioned all of the above to the desk clerk and was told that I would be contacted regarding these problems. We were never contacted.

Yucatan Platinum lounge chairs do not have cushions as do the chairs at the Platinum Villas pools. Unfortunate. But the Platinum Villa pools are small and, no longer adults only, so quite busy and noisy.

The pool is closed at 8 p.m. Enjoying a quiet night dip is one of the reasons I visit Mexico and I do think the pool, not the bar, should be open to swim-out and all Yucatan guests until 10 p.m.

The wine is the same for both Sunset and Yucatan Platinum. Forget the white wine; horrible. My husband said the red was just okay.

Miscellaneous: 1- If you want quiet and aren't a swimmer, the cheaper rooms that don't have the jacuzzi tub and look out on the outer paths may be best for you. Beautiful views of gardens, illuminated at night, and, except for the odd passing shuttle, very quiet.

2- If you are fair-skinned and sensitive to heat, do take some Benadryl for skin allergies so you don't spend half your visit, as I did, avoiding the sun with a bad heat rash.

3- The gift shop, if you need chips, etc. is very expensive. $6 U.S. for a bag of Lay's or other chips. Bring your own, along with a few bottles of duty-free wine.

4- The balconies/terraces Sunset and Riviera are not glass-front as in Yucatan but rather, poured concrete painted white. Unlike Yucatan, some of the first floor swim out private terraces are open on one side which affords a lovely view of the pools, columns, etc.

5- If you love cappucino, have them make it from the traditional machine and not the automatic machine.

6- Thursday evenings is the Mexican marketplace so have cash on hand if you're a shopper.

7- For women of my generation; don't fuss about clothing and take too much. I always wear make-up and fuss with my hair at home but there is no need here. Both visits I took far too much clothing. Travel light; packing to leave, when you just want to stay, will be so much faster as you enjoy every last minute.

8- Note re: Canadian Sunwing visitors. Sunwing is tough on carry-on luggage weight limits. Do not take a hard-sided carry-on suitcase. It will weigh on its own nearly half the 5kg allowed.

9- The week after Easter is an annual holiday in Mexico and we were thrilled to see so many well-behaved Mexican children having fun and not bent constantly over an iPhone or iPad. So nice to be on a vacation in the south where we weren't surrounded entirely by Canadian and American tourists so many of whom are quite rude and brusque with the staff.

10- With 3-4 hours wait times at airports, shuttles to airports, airline disruptions, a 7-day visit isn't enough. We arrived at 3 pm. April 24, having gotten up in Montréal at 5 a.m. and left the hotel the following Thursday, May 1, at 9:40 a.m. for a 2:15 p.m. flight. So 7 days really translates as five and a half. Go for two weeks to make the travel hassles worthwhile.

11- On more than one occasion, I spoke to concierges about the future Yucatan site to be finished by September. I do so hope that a small section of this resort will be reserved for baby boomers like myself who are no longer party animals but now senior citizens and seek only the sun, the heat, the quiet and the relaxation that winter and early spring in Canada do not provide.

Bon voyage!! Enjoy.

Room Tip: Swim out for sure during the really hot months; not January-February. If you want peace and quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank quincerator
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear quincerator

First of all we would like to thank you for posting your extensive review regarding your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

We are very concerned to learn about your disappointing. Some of the problems you mentioned are totally under our standards and we have already taken action in order to meet our values again. Furthermore I would like to express my appreciation for your concerns and will discuss them with the deparments involved.

Once again thank you for your time and comments, hoping to have a third opportunity in a near future and show you how we are improve our service.

Receive our warmest regards,

community.riviera@princess-hotels.com
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This resort is lovely, with amazing formal finishes, fantastic staff and a fabulous beach. My husband and I stayed here from April 26-May 3rd, 2014, We booked into the Grand Yucatan adults only section of this resort. Our room was very well appointed with great mini bar and lots of complementary items. We were considered "platinum" guests, meaning unlimited premium drinks, unlimited a la carte restaurants, preferred beach area and butler service and special seating in all buffet and snack bar areas, We also had a preferred lounge area with bar service that opened at 7am. For all these perks it is worth the $200 extra, also your check in is immediate, no waiting in a big line to get your room. We would come back to this resort. It is large and can be a bit overwhelming on the first day, the food in the buffets is nothing amazing, but the rest was lovely. Lots of nightly entertainment, shows, live music, dancing, kids club, disco, landscaped beautiful grounds, fabulous pools, fountains etc. Really happy with the experience.

Room Tip: there is construction on riviera side, so if staying in yucatan adults only section get a lower suit...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MelonGG,

We are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay at Grand Riviera Princess. It was a pleasure to be at your service.

We really appreciate you taking the time to write some valuable comments about your stay at our hotel. The comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are very important to maintain the quality and improve our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest Regards,
Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Ok - I will preface by saying that I am an avid traveler of the Caribbean, I have stayed at many 3&5 star hotels during my lifetime. I also know the value of these packages and you must know that you get what you pay for.

We booked this hotel for my sisters bachelorette weekend in Playa Del Carmen. When traveling in large groups, you have to find something suitable for everyone's budget.... and this is why I chose this hotel.

I knew going in, that it was a 3 star hotel and I shouldn't expect the same standards that I'm accustomed to... you should consider this thought before booking.

Getting there:
We flew nonstop from Miami International to Cancun on American... great flight and very short. We booked our shuttle on expedia and were taken all together to the hotel in 2 big vans. The ride is about 40 minutes but it felt very quick. I recommend "Best Day Tours" for the shuttle. IT was round trip for $46 per person...

The Hotel Grounds:
Are absolutely gorgeous. The resort is huge, there is tons of greenery that is kept immaculate. There are tons of workers constantly cleaning, mowing, and perfecting the hotel grounds which I found to be a great touch. There are plenty of pools with swim up bars, some quiet, some more party, and some that are by the swim up suites that are just for quiet time. There is quite a bit of walking from the lobby to the beach, but its totally doable. I'm not in the best shape and I did it just fine - but the hotel does offer a little trolly.

Checkin:
We got there early like 10am, so the rooms were not available until 3pm which was a bummer. but they hold your luggage in the lobby and u can open it up, get your swimsuit, change in the bathroom and hit the pool. You also get your wrist bands right away so you can enjoy the food/drinks.

Towels & Room Keys:
You get a towel card for the # of people in your room. You must turn that card back in at the end of your stay to avoid a charge... i thought this was ridiculous. Especially when the front desk forgot to give us the towel cards and we didn't realize it until we were alll the way by the pool and had to walk back and get it. SUCH A MISSION. There's also a charge if you lose the room key.. also ridiculous but what can you do?

The Rooms:
We got a swim up suite that was very nice. The bathrooms are modern with double sinks, huge tub, a beautiful glass shower and enclosed toilet (no bidet). The closet was very large and had plenty of hangers for clothes. The beds were 2 full beds - not queen. So it was uncomfortable to share (we were 3). That's another thing, the hotel only allows 3 adults per room, maximum which I thought was odd. Anyway, the sheets were rough, pillows were not great quality, the AC struggled to cool the room down & we had a lot of mosquitos in our room. Very annoying.

The Food & Drinks:
This was the worst part of it... the food (buffet) was substandard. Lots of Mexican choices which I enjoyed, burgers, fries, pasta, salads, fruits, meats/cheeses, breads... the usual. But nothing spectacular. If you have picky eaters in your group, you will find yourself eating the same thing every day. We didn't get to visit any of the specialty restaurants because we were such a large group, they couldn't accommodate us (hotel was sold out). The alcohol was TERRIBLE. We like to drink, and we are not 18 or 21... we are women in our 30's who know what alcohol should taste like and this hotel could not offer up 1 decent drink. We finally found a drink called an iceberg, which was basically a XX (dos equix) beer with a frozen margarita inside. It was yummy and refreshing.

The Beach:
was not very large, not many chairs available nor was there staff willing to help pull a chair for you to lay on. I thought that was odd. THere is also a bar for drinks, but you have to get them yourself. The water was crystal clear (mexico has the best beaches), and we enjoyed the beach very much.

The Wifi was available for $20/day and it was only available in the lobby... what a bummer. THere was also a machine to buy calling cards, but I was able to add a voice/data plan with AT&T and I had no problems communicating and checking my emails [for work].

All in all - for what we paid, this hotel was a good choice. You cant pay for a holiday inn and expect the Ritz so please keep that in mind. I did enjoy my stay there and would definitely recommend this hotel for ppl on a budget.

Room Tip: Get an upgraded suite - at least a swim-up! I also recommend only doing 2 people per room since the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank lilbee1125
Dear guest,

Thank you for share your opinion about your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience and if we were not able to meet your expectations.

I checked your comments and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Toronto
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Am currently her with my husband and it's our 3rd day.
I was told that the swim up bar on the riviera side was adults only, and that's not the case.
Then I was told only the pool in the platinum section was for adults, again not the case and it's kind of putting a damper on my stay. We came to get away from our kids only to be around somebody else's ??

I was told there was a breakfast and lunch buffet for platinum and yucatan guests, well everybody seems to use it and it makes for longer lineups.
None of these rules seem to be enforced at all and it's making my stay less enjoyable.

Rooms are very nice and the staff is so nice and polite.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sasha G
Sarman C, Gerente de Operaciones at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Sasha G,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinions on TripAdvisor about our hotel. Please accept our apologies for the drawbacks you experienced. Our responsible managers have been informed about your inconveniences.

I would like to explain that our platinum suites are a familiar area and only the Yucatan Platinum and Laguna Villas are for adults only. Please accept our apologies for this confusion.

We would be grateful if you could provide us with your email so that we can get in contact with you. Please send more details about your stay at: community.riviera@princess-hotels.com and I will be glad to follow up on your complaints.

Once again we would like to present our sincere apologies.
We look forward to hearing from you at your convenience.

Sarman Costa
Operations Manager
Princess Hotels Mexico
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We just returned from a week stay at the Grand Riviera Princess.in a deluxe junior suite. I can't say enough good things about this resort, it is absolutely beautiful! We arrived by private transportation and check in was a breeze. I recommend going directly to make reservations for the a la carte dinning, you can book your first three nights and then will need to return daily to make reservations for the rest of your stay. We especially enjoyed Las Olas (seafood) Miso (best tempanaki show ever) and La Vaqueria (Brazilian steakhouse). The food was vastly superior to the main buffet.
The pools are fabulous - we never had difficulty locating chairs or a palapa. The party pool does get rowdy however there are plenty of other pools where you can enjoy some peace and quiet.
The beach is beautiful. Don't worry about the complaints about the shacks on the beach, simply walk to the left and you will locate the adult only beach. It was absolutely gorgeous and there were plenty of chairs and palapas. If you want to spoil yourself, splurge for one day and go to the Chill Out Beach Club. It was $13 USD for the day per person (included if you are platinum guest). The chairs have luxury padding, the drinks are served in fancy glasses and the service is more attentive.
We loved breakfast in the Sunset Snack - our favorites included custom omelets, chocolate croissants, fresh fruit and mimosas, who could ask for anything more? We ate lunch on the beach and the burgers and hotdogs were tasty. The Sunset snack had made to order soft tacos which were also delicious.
We were not impressed with the drinks until we learned you can request Bacardi or Jose Cuervo. The mojitos with Barcardi anejo and fresh mint were delicious.
A few tips to make your stay more enjoyable - bring a hat, you will want one and the gift shop was pricey. Bring a thermal cup or mug for your beverages. Not only will you get a larger serving, the drink will not melt immediately in the hot Mexican sun.
The staff was friendly and helpful. A few staff members went above and beyond to make our trip enjoyable. Raul in the Sunset snack was an absolute delight. Angel, the bartender in the beach bar on the adult beach is charming and makes the best mojitos ever!
Free Wi-Fi and an upgrade to the bar menu to include some decent wines are the only things that would have made our stay more enjoyable. I am sure we could have spent more money somewhere else, however this resort was a fantastic value and we would certainly go again.

Room Tip: 6151 was right in the middle of the resort which made it very convenient. Next time I would splurge...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Ccboltie
Dear Ccboltie,

We really appreciate your feedback and compliments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are returning to the hotel in order to give you a better service.

Best regards,
community.riviera@princess-hotels.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,302 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,508 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,366 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!