“Much better experience this time”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 30, 2014

I previously submitted a review of this property on March 7, 2013. In that review I detailed an abysmal experience during our stay and how I had been asked to give the resort another chance.

2d chance given during our recent visit 4/16/14 thru 4/26/14. I should note this location was not our first choice to return to. However, the complex we wanted to go to didn't have rooms available for us, so we reluctantly decided to come back here. Honestly, I was extremely nervous about it because I did not want our friends to go through anything like what we had experienced in March of 2013.

This was our 3rd stay at this resort complex. First stay was on the Sunset side, 2d stay was on the Riviera side, and this visit was booked for the Riviera side. We traveled with our close friends and their daughter. All of us had booked Jr. Suite deluxe rooms. After making our booking, I contacted the Guest Relations manager, Gina, to let her know we were coming back and that we were bringing friends. I reminded her that she had asked us to give them another chance and that she'd promised to make it worth our while. I maintained contact w/ GIna during the months preceding our visit and squared away some details ahead of our arrival.

Gina delivered and then some! Thank you, so very much, Gina.

My husband and I received an upgrade to the Laguna Villa Suites (the truly adults only section of the complex... (see previous review for further comments about adults only). We were stunned to get a room in this area. We never expected to have the red carpet rolled out for us, but it was and then some. Our magic bracelets surely had something to do with this. While we appreciated what the bracelet meant, we tried not to take advantage of it. We were more than satisfied with our room and weren't expecting anything more. During our stay, our room lacked for none of the basics that had been missing on previous visits. The Laguna Villas are located in the middle of the complex between the Riviera and Sunset sides of the property.

Our friends have a daughter and they stayed in the 8100 building close to the Riviera lobby. Our friends did encounter a problem with the towels & washcloths (issue noted in previous review), but when this was mentioned to Gina she addressed the matter head on and it was rectified. Just as a suggestion though, it might be a good idea to take your own washcloth if you are staying in a junior suite.

It was obvious to me that management at the property had begun to earnestly address some of the problems noted by myself and other guests in other reviews. The food was hot this time around. No matter where we ate, buffet or a la carte restaurant, the food was hot. This was a definite improvement. Our friends, my husband, and I all agreed that there was nothing particularly stellar about the food. We liked some aspects of some of the a la carte dinners, but overwhelmingly preferred the food at the buffets. Dinner in town was the best choice. Service was impeccable from the check-in, to the bars, to housekeeping and restaurants. Our friends were particularly impressed with how friendly the wait staff was at the Riviera Buffet. Octavio, the pool concierge at the Laguna Villas addressed every request my husband or I made and was truly fabulous. Alex, our bartender at the Laguna Villas pool made awesome grapefruit margaritas. Guadalupe in the Riviera lobby bar was excited to see my husband and I again. She remembered us from the 2013 visit and was so kind to us and our friends.

Even upper management strived to provided exceptional service. One evening, I had requested to have the cart pick up my husband and I to take us to the a la carte dinner. He has a leg injury that was acting up and it was quite a walk from our room to the restaurant. When the cart did not arrive as scheduled, I walked to the Sunset lobby and tracked down a woman named Mariana. I'd noticed her at many locations on the resort and assumed that she was management. I told her my dilemma and asked if she could help me. She personally acquired a cart and drove us to the restaurant. I had no idea at the time how high up in management she was. We thanked her for being so kind. Mariana tracked us down later in our stay while we waiting for our dinner at the tempanaki. She asked how my husband was and talked with us about our stay. It was during this conversation that I learned that Mariana is the assistant manager for the entire Princess complex. Mariana is truly dedicated to ensuring a positive guest experience. It was a pleasure to talk with her. Our friends also had the opportunity to speak with her and express how pleased they were with their stay.

Based on the positive experience from this April 2014 stay, we would definitely consider returning to this property. Our friend s would also return.

Room Tip: Platinum suites are closest to the beach
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Finnishmaria
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Dear Finnishmaria,

Be sure that your feedback is very much appreciated, thank you for taking the time of sharing it with this huge community.

We are really happy to know that we were able to change your impression of our Resort.

It is a true pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that our team has created memorable experiences that you have taken back home.

This will always be your paradise home away from home, in the meantime you come back, sunny greetings from Grand Riviera Princess

Obed Canche
Grand Riviera Princess.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at the Grand Riviera Platinum Suites Apr 19-26. PERFECT! On arrival we were greeted with champagne and a free upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. The beach is beautiful. We had fish swimming around us. The butler service was great and lunch from the snack bar was good as well. (Hamburgers, Hot Dogs) Watch out for the "coaties" the mexican racoon. They will steal your food if left unattended. The grounds and pools are terrific. Didn't appreciate the visitors that would "reserve" a palapa or lounger by putting their towels on it, and not show up for hours before they used it. Come on people, leave them for those who are actively on site and using the amenities. The food was surprisingly good, lots of choices and slightly different throughout the week. We went to 3 a la carte restaurants. (Mexican, International and Swiss - all good) Nice shops on site as well. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. I liked the fact that Sunwing have their own representative on site. The entertainment in the theatre was just that - entertainment. Somewhat corny, but great dancers. Lots to experience in the main plaza in the evenings too. The walk around the resort can be lengthy, but beautiful surroundings, and hopefully works off some of the extra calories. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Go for Platinum if you can afford the extra $$$.
1  Thank Eye_recommend_this
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Eye_recommend_this,
Many thanks for having chosen Grand Riviera Princess for your latest vacation, and for writing such a kind review!

We are happy you enjoyed the beach and the activities, and of course the service provided by our hard-working, wonderful staff.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The place is great, it is big, but plenty of room for ALL. Do it you will not regret it. Beach was nice good snokeling to the left of main area. Do the up grade worth the $ for private areas and great rooms.

Room Tip: Go Platinum rooms near beach, own bar and pool very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bvpusa

Dear Ken S

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments concerning your stay at Grand Riviera Princess. Excellent service is what we strive to be known for; therefore, your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to improve every day and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.

It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Obed Canche

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just got back from an all inclusive stay here from April 22 - 29, 2014. My first time at an all inclusive resort.

Arrival was smooth and the staff in the lobby were very helpful. Stayed in the 6000 block of the resort which is very close to the beach, and right beside the riviera snack bar where we ate breakfast every day.

Staff:
Very friendly. They were all incredibly happy to help with whatever you needed. Made us feel at home. We spoke no Spanish and we didn't run into any issues.

Accommodations:
Nice. Some room for improvement due to some markings on the ceilings etc, but honestly didn't bother us a bit. The rooms were very spacious and were nice and cool for our arrival! We left our passports in the safe no problem. The grounds are kept very neat considering the amount of people at this resort. You always found someone around cleaning. Our room was half facing a garden and half facing construction of a newer resort, and we had no complaints about noise or issues.

Food:
First night one of our part got very sick from eating some fish (we think) but aside from that it was good. There weren't a TON of vegetarian options, but those that were there were really good! I was a little surprised on Mexican night that they didn't have a vegetarian option (beans), but really this isn't a big deal. We were happy with tortillas, rice and guacamole.
Drinks were amazing!! I couldn't believe the amount of alcohol included and the variety of drinks they would make for you.
Ala Carte was also good. We had he Mexican, Swiss and Italian. Italian was the best food by far! But they were all really good.

Beach:
Gorgeous!!! White sand, clear water, it was amazing. We didn't encounter any fleas, and the ocean was absolutely beautiful. We went to the beach at various times throughout our stay (morning, early afternoon, late afternoon) and never had any trouble finding a seat with shade. There were activities on the go if that's what you were looking for. We basically lounged the whole time.

Pools:
The resort was really big. They had a lot of pools to choose from including kid pools, a party pool with lots of music and activities, and lounging pools. All had pool bars (except for the kids pools, obviously). Only once did they run out of towels, and on our last day we couldn't get the towel cards at the towel exchanges so we just brought them to our check out.

Advice:
-Ask for rooms near the beach - that way you're close to snack bars, pools and the beach - what more could you want?
-Make a la carte reservations as soon as you can!! We were only able to get into 3 of the restaurants so do this as soon as you're able.
-Don't be afraid to ask for more. We needed more water, towels, etc, and anytime we asked the staff was more than willing to oblige.
-Make sure you understand the check-out process. We were running a bit late from our 8:50AM checkout, and they drove our baggage to the lobby (but not us) and we didn't see our baggage for about 20 minutes - nerve wracking! But it showed up.
-ENJOY!! We truly had an amazing time and would highly recommend this resort to everyone!

2  Thank Robyn C

Dear Robyn C,

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Grand Riviera Princess.
It´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your vacations with us.
On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Service - Was great! Dont be afraid to ask the staff is very helpful and they are everywhere maintaining the resort which I thought was good, they really were on top of things.
Food - Buffet, wasnt my favorite but we booked an a la carte restaurant every night which was sometimes good and bad but it all depends on what you like. But they have so many options you are bound to find something you like. They have an Italian, French, Seafood, Oriental, Sushi, Steak, Japanese cooking show and more. We booked one restaurant called the chill out which you do have to pay for but it was worth it. It was right on the beach and we had a full moon very romantic!
Room - We stayed in the laguna villa suites which I strongly suggest adults only section. The rooms have a stone walkout shower, double sinks, tub for 2 with jets, room with just toilet, closet with safe, king size bed, seating area with TV, and balcony with 2 chairs and table. Another big reason for going with the laguna is if you really want to have quite time/relaxation only the villas have a private pool with your own bar and server as well as concierge who you book your restaurants with. The pool also has hut beds which are very comfy me and the boyfriend slept for 2 hours with no interruptions. Oh and only lagunas get 24h room service for free.
Resort - Large, there can be alot of walking depending on where your going but I found out that they have a golf cart that picks everyone up every 5 - 15minutes that takes you to the beach and then back up to the lobby. They have 2 buffets, a 24h sports bar, a disco/nightclub opens at 10:30pm, a market every Thursday evening from in town so you dont have to leave to go shopping out of resort, stores at main lobby bottom floor, beautiful trees flowers and walk ways.
Coco bongo - We had met another couple that was going then we invited another couple and went with the 6 of us buy the tickets at the resort, then you take a greyhound bus and they bring you there with everyone from the resort and you get picked up at 4:00am it can be a long night if your not used to it but it is well worth it and safe. I would go again

I would go back to this resort me and the boyfriend agree. Everything met our expectations and more, I left with a smile but sad to leave.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brianna299

Dear Brianna299
I’m really happy to read your nice comments about your stay with us.
We really appreciate your objective review about our facilities, the service and our staff.

All the staff of our Resort feels so glad when we receive review as yours.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the GRP - April 20 - 27. We travelled with 28 guests from ages 7 months to 65 years old. Our wedding ceremony was held at the Sunset Gazebo with a reception to follow in the Ibiza Ballroom.

Check-in:
No issues here. We all arrived around 6pm and were greeted with cold beer - check in was fast and smooth with minimal issues. But reviewers are correct - staff are stern faced and did not seem pleased to greet you.

Rooms:
We stayed in the deluxe junior in the 7000 section. For some reason the hotel put us on the second floor - we were the only couple with a small baby and stroller. There were NO elevators in our building and we would have to travel to the 8000 or 6000 section to find one. This resort is massive, so this wasn't just a short walk over. We found ourselves carrying the stroller and baby up and down the stairs. Finally we had enough and requested a room on the ground floor. This was done the next day. The next room was equally as nice. Jacuzzi in the bathroom but the view pointed towards the construction, not the best background for wedding photos.

The rooms were clean but did show some age - holes in the marble flooring, stained tubs and weird scratches on the headboard... We weren't too fussed about it, the AC worked great and the balcony was nice to sit on in the evenings.

My group was placed close together - all in the 7000 and 6000 section. Some had better views than others and only one couple complained about the musty smell.

Grounds
This resort is MASSIVE. Nice for a group if you wanted to stay separated and do your own thing, but terribly inconvenient when you needed to find each other. There were a few days where we didn't see people from our wedding at all. My mother was in the platinum suites and was watching our daughter - it took her all morning to find us after wandering the resort alone with the baby.

The way the resort has the room numbers arranged is disorganized. The room numbers decrease the closer you get to the beach and sometimes room numbers aren't in order.

The grounds are beautiful! Everything is immaculate. A ton of greenery everywhere and tropical flowers and hedges line the pathways.

The lobby building is enormous as well and the map was no help. Our group actually got lost on the way to the reception because we couldn't find the ballroom.

Beach
We were only able to head there the one day. But it was gorgeous! No seaweed and beaches were made of white sand. The ocean floor was a bit rocky though and I was unstable while carrying my baby. The huts are there, but you can get loungers beside them and they won't obstruct the view.

Restaurants/Bars
The buffets were okay for the first few days but they become soooo boring after awhile. The same food all the time was annoying. And mostly all the food is deep fried. This was a nice treat to begin with, but after the third day we were sick of it. We only tried one a la carte - the seafood, it was good. But the atmosphere could use some work - they just change the sunset snack buffet into two a la cartes - very cafeteria like.

I heard a lot of complaints about the wine - I don't drink white wine so I can't comment, but the red wine was okay. I found that it tasted different in each place. At the bars it was good but I had it at the a la carte and it tasted like old tequila!

The rest of the drinks were awesome! I drank my fair share of mojitos and mudslides :)

Pools
The party pool was insane. Way too many people sat around the pool bar and you could hear the music thump from a ways a away. Our group usually met at the pool closest to the lobby on the Riviera side. There was a small bar set up on the pathway next to it and it was empty most of the time. It was like we had our own private bar :) The pools aren't freezing, a nice temperature for the hot weather we had. But the ocean is definitely warmer.

Wedding
We had an amazing coordinator (Emma) who took care of everything! The ceremony was perfect - quick and to the point, about 20 minutes. We were able to customize everything. We had a reading done by a friend and they had a microphone for us. We had our ceremony at 4pm so the weather cooled off by then. The photographer was very good - he took 299 photos, but the poses were a bit dated. Come with ideas of your own if you use the photographer. We went to the lobby bar for drinks after and everyone welcomed us with a cheer and clap. We had a private dinner in the Ibiza room. The tables were set exactly as I had shown Emma (we brought our own décor from home). The soup and salad was awesome but the main course was overcooked and dry. The dessert was also pretty lame. We had MCs and speeches in the room without a mic - this was no issue, everyone could be heard fine. After the dinner Emma and her crew took care of clearing all the decorations - unfortunately, when I received all my stuff back numerous items were broken. It looked like they just dumped each table into a suitcase.

This hotel hosts MANY weddings. I think I saw about 2 per day come through the lobby or by the pools. And these are only the ones I saw!

Would I go back? No - it is was too big and constantly having to find people was irritating.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the 7000 section facing the pathway. You can sit on the deck watching people walk by...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rebecca_lay

Dear rebecca_lay
Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor Travelers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.

I feel sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as we would have liked.
We are working in each comment that you said for the hotel to our guests come back home fully satisfied.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you how we are improve our service.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We travelled with 4 other couples and each of us had an amazing experience. We all read reviews of this resort and it was a group agreement that none of us could understand how someone could complain about this resort. IT IS AMAZING!!!! We just got back from a 7 day vacation and I am so sad and depressed I wish I could stay there forever. The resort was massive and it took me pretty much the whole trip to figure out my way around (which was entertaining for everyone else) but it was beautiful and I never had any problems with the walk. It was great I needed it from all the delicious food I ate. And the drinks were great! Everything was great! A couple we were with are getting married next year in Mexico and are really considering getting married at this resort because it has everything for all ages and it truly is gorgeous. All the staff were fantastic and all smiles. I couldn't believe how hard these people work just to make this resort outstanding. Of course not everything is going to be perfect but nothing is perfect! I think the only issue we had was the front desk employee's were not the most welcoming or helpful. We tried to upgrade and they told us it wasn't worth it. When we wanted to switch rooms so we could face the pool instead of the construction they gave us a hard time so we decided to not worry about it. It didn't by any means ruin our vacation and we didn't give it a 2nd thought after we walked away. I can't wait to go back to grand Riviera princess because it was honestly the best hotel I have ever been too and I have been to PLENTY! Thank you to the hotel for a wonderful stay I hope to be back next April for our friends wedding! :)

4  Thank Sandybeaches_11

Dear Sandybeaches_11,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences with our front desk staff.

I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager to offer the best service to our guests and this situation never happens again.

Best Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#61 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!