I previously submitted a review of this property on March 7, 2013. In that review I detailed an abysmal experience during our stay and how I had been asked to give the resort another chance.
2d chance given during our recent visit 4/16/14 thru 4/26/14. I should note this location was not our first choice to return to. However, the complex we wanted to go to didn't have rooms available for us, so we reluctantly decided to come back here. Honestly, I was extremely nervous about it because I did not want our friends to go through anything like what we had experienced in March of 2013.
This was our 3rd stay at this resort complex. First stay was on the Sunset side, 2d stay was on the Riviera side, and this visit was booked for the Riviera side. We traveled with our close friends and their daughter. All of us had booked Jr. Suite deluxe rooms. After making our booking, I contacted the Guest Relations manager, Gina, to let her know we were coming back and that we were bringing friends. I reminded her that she had asked us to give them another chance and that she'd promised to make it worth our while. I maintained contact w/ GIna during the months preceding our visit and squared away some details ahead of our arrival.
Gina delivered and then some! Thank you, so very much, Gina.
My husband and I received an upgrade to the Laguna Villa Suites (the truly adults only section of the complex... (see previous review for further comments about adults only). We were stunned to get a room in this area. We never expected to have the red carpet rolled out for us, but it was and then some. Our magic bracelets surely had something to do with this. While we appreciated what the bracelet meant, we tried not to take advantage of it. We were more than satisfied with our room and weren't expecting anything more. During our stay, our room lacked for none of the basics that had been missing on previous visits. The Laguna Villas are located in the middle of the complex between the Riviera and Sunset sides of the property.
Our friends have a daughter and they stayed in the 8100 building close to the Riviera lobby. Our friends did encounter a problem with the towels & washcloths (issue noted in previous review), but when this was mentioned to Gina she addressed the matter head on and it was rectified. Just as a suggestion though, it might be a good idea to take your own washcloth if you are staying in a junior suite.
It was obvious to me that management at the property had begun to earnestly address some of the problems noted by myself and other guests in other reviews. The food was hot this time around. No matter where we ate, buffet or a la carte restaurant, the food was hot. This was a definite improvement. Our friends, my husband, and I all agreed that there was nothing particularly stellar about the food. We liked some aspects of some of the a la carte dinners, but overwhelmingly preferred the food at the buffets. Dinner in town was the best choice. Service was impeccable from the check-in, to the bars, to housekeeping and restaurants. Our friends were particularly impressed with how friendly the wait staff was at the Riviera Buffet. Octavio, the pool concierge at the Laguna Villas addressed every request my husband or I made and was truly fabulous. Alex, our bartender at the Laguna Villas pool made awesome grapefruit margaritas. Guadalupe in the Riviera lobby bar was excited to see my husband and I again. She remembered us from the 2013 visit and was so kind to us and our friends.
Even upper management strived to provided exceptional service. One evening, I had requested to have the cart pick up my husband and I to take us to the a la carte dinner. He has a leg injury that was acting up and it was quite a walk from our room to the restaurant. When the cart did not arrive as scheduled, I walked to the Sunset lobby and tracked down a woman named Mariana. I'd noticed her at many locations on the resort and assumed that she was management. I told her my dilemma and asked if she could help me. She personally acquired a cart and drove us to the restaurant. I had no idea at the time how high up in management she was. We thanked her for being so kind. Mariana tracked us down later in our stay while we waiting for our dinner at the tempanaki. She asked how my husband was and talked with us about our stay. It was during this conversation that I learned that Mariana is the assistant manager for the entire Princess complex. Mariana is truly dedicated to ensuring a positive guest experience. It was a pleasure to talk with her. Our friends also had the opportunity to speak with her and express how pleased they were with their stay.
Based on the positive experience from this April 2014 stay, we would definitely consider returning to this property. Our friend s would also return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll. Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon). A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico