“Definitely for a princess! ”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Service - Was great! Dont be afraid to ask the staff is very helpful and they are everywhere maintaining the resort which I thought was good, they really were on top of things.
Food - Buffet, wasnt my favorite but we booked an a la carte restaurant every night which was sometimes good and bad but it all depends on what you like. But they have so many options you are bound to find something you like. They have an Italian, French, Seafood, Oriental, Sushi, Steak, Japanese cooking show and more. We booked one restaurant called the chill out which you do have to pay for but it was worth it. It was right on the beach and we had a full moon very romantic!
Room - We stayed in the laguna villa suites which I strongly suggest adults only section. The rooms have a stone walkout shower, double sinks, tub for 2 with jets, room with just toilet, closet with safe, king size bed, seating area with TV, and balcony with 2 chairs and table. Another big reason for going with the laguna is if you really want to have quite time/relaxation only the villas have a private pool with your own bar and server as well as concierge who you book your restaurants with. The pool also has hut beds which are very comfy me and the boyfriend slept for 2 hours with no interruptions. Oh and only lagunas get 24h room service for free.
Resort - Large, there can be alot of walking depending on where your going but I found out that they have a golf cart that picks everyone up every 5 - 15minutes that takes you to the beach and then back up to the lobby. They have 2 buffets, a 24h sports bar, a disco/nightclub opens at 10:30pm, a market every Thursday evening from in town so you dont have to leave to go shopping out of resort, stores at main lobby bottom floor, beautiful trees flowers and walk ways.
Coco bongo - We had met another couple that was going then we invited another couple and went with the 6 of us buy the tickets at the resort, then you take a greyhound bus and they bring you there with everyone from the resort and you get picked up at 4:00am it can be a long night if your not used to it but it is well worth it and safe. I would go again

I would go back to this resort me and the boyfriend agree. Everything met our expectations and more, I left with a smile but sad to leave.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brianna299
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear Brianna299
I’m really happy to read your nice comments about your stay with us.
We really appreciate your objective review about our facilities, the service and our staff.

All the staff of our Resort feels so glad when we receive review as yours.
It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.

Grand Riviera Princess

Write a ReviewReviews (8,669)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We just returned from a 7 night stay at the GRP - April 20 - 27. We travelled with 28 guests from ages 7 months to 65 years old. Our wedding ceremony was held at the Sunset Gazebo with a reception to follow in the Ibiza Ballroom.

Check-in:
No issues here. We all arrived around 6pm and were greeted with cold beer - check in was fast and smooth with minimal issues. But reviewers are correct - staff are stern faced and did not seem pleased to greet you.

Rooms:
We stayed in the deluxe junior in the 7000 section. For some reason the hotel put us on the second floor - we were the only couple with a small baby and stroller. There were NO elevators in our building and we would have to travel to the 8000 or 6000 section to find one. This resort is massive, so this wasn't just a short walk over. We found ourselves carrying the stroller and baby up and down the stairs. Finally we had enough and requested a room on the ground floor. This was done the next day. The next room was equally as nice. Jacuzzi in the bathroom but the view pointed towards the construction, not the best background for wedding photos.

The rooms were clean but did show some age - holes in the marble flooring, stained tubs and weird scratches on the headboard... We weren't too fussed about it, the AC worked great and the balcony was nice to sit on in the evenings.

My group was placed close together - all in the 7000 and 6000 section. Some had better views than others and only one couple complained about the musty smell.

Grounds
This resort is MASSIVE. Nice for a group if you wanted to stay separated and do your own thing, but terribly inconvenient when you needed to find each other. There were a few days where we didn't see people from our wedding at all. My mother was in the platinum suites and was watching our daughter - it took her all morning to find us after wandering the resort alone with the baby.

The way the resort has the room numbers arranged is disorganized. The room numbers decrease the closer you get to the beach and sometimes room numbers aren't in order.

The grounds are beautiful! Everything is immaculate. A ton of greenery everywhere and tropical flowers and hedges line the pathways.

The lobby building is enormous as well and the map was no help. Our group actually got lost on the way to the reception because we couldn't find the ballroom.

Beach
We were only able to head there the one day. But it was gorgeous! No seaweed and beaches were made of white sand. The ocean floor was a bit rocky though and I was unstable while carrying my baby. The huts are there, but you can get loungers beside them and they won't obstruct the view.

Restaurants/Bars
The buffets were okay for the first few days but they become soooo boring after awhile. The same food all the time was annoying. And mostly all the food is deep fried. This was a nice treat to begin with, but after the third day we were sick of it. We only tried one a la carte - the seafood, it was good. But the atmosphere could use some work - they just change the sunset snack buffet into two a la cartes - very cafeteria like.

I heard a lot of complaints about the wine - I don't drink white wine so I can't comment, but the red wine was okay. I found that it tasted different in each place. At the bars it was good but I had it at the a la carte and it tasted like old tequila!

The rest of the drinks were awesome! I drank my fair share of mojitos and mudslides :)

Pools
The party pool was insane. Way too many people sat around the pool bar and you could hear the music thump from a ways a away. Our group usually met at the pool closest to the lobby on the Riviera side. There was a small bar set up on the pathway next to it and it was empty most of the time. It was like we had our own private bar :) The pools aren't freezing, a nice temperature for the hot weather we had. But the ocean is definitely warmer.

Wedding
We had an amazing coordinator (Emma) who took care of everything! The ceremony was perfect - quick and to the point, about 20 minutes. We were able to customize everything. We had a reading done by a friend and they had a microphone for us. We had our ceremony at 4pm so the weather cooled off by then. The photographer was very good - he took 299 photos, but the poses were a bit dated. Come with ideas of your own if you use the photographer. We went to the lobby bar for drinks after and everyone welcomed us with a cheer and clap. We had a private dinner in the Ibiza room. The tables were set exactly as I had shown Emma (we brought our own décor from home). The soup and salad was awesome but the main course was overcooked and dry. The dessert was also pretty lame. We had MCs and speeches in the room without a mic - this was no issue, everyone could be heard fine. After the dinner Emma and her crew took care of clearing all the decorations - unfortunately, when I received all my stuff back numerous items were broken. It looked like they just dumped each table into a suitcase.

This hotel hosts MANY weddings. I think I saw about 2 per day come through the lobby or by the pools. And these are only the ones I saw!

Would I go back? No - it is was too big and constantly having to find people was irritating.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the 7000 section facing the pathway. You can sit on the deck watching people walk by...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank rebecca_lay

Dear rebecca_lay
Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor Travelers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.

I feel sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as we would have liked.
We are working in each comment that you said for the hotel to our guests come back home fully satisfied.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you how we are improve our service.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We travelled with 4 other couples and each of us had an amazing experience. We all read reviews of this resort and it was a group agreement that none of us could understand how someone could complain about this resort. IT IS AMAZING!!!! We just got back from a 7 day vacation and I am so sad and depressed I wish I could stay there forever. The resort was massive and it took me pretty much the whole trip to figure out my way around (which was entertaining for everyone else) but it was beautiful and I never had any problems with the walk. It was great I needed it from all the delicious food I ate. And the drinks were great! Everything was great! A couple we were with are getting married next year in Mexico and are really considering getting married at this resort because it has everything for all ages and it truly is gorgeous. All the staff were fantastic and all smiles. I couldn't believe how hard these people work just to make this resort outstanding. Of course not everything is going to be perfect but nothing is perfect! I think the only issue we had was the front desk employee's were not the most welcoming or helpful. We tried to upgrade and they told us it wasn't worth it. When we wanted to switch rooms so we could face the pool instead of the construction they gave us a hard time so we decided to not worry about it. It didn't by any means ruin our vacation and we didn't give it a 2nd thought after we walked away. I can't wait to go back to grand Riviera princess because it was honestly the best hotel I have ever been too and I have been to PLENTY! Thank you to the hotel for a wonderful stay I hope to be back next April for our friends wedding! :)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Sandybeaches_11

Dear Sandybeaches_11,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences with our front desk staff.

I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager to offer the best service to our guests and this situation never happens again.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 28, 2014

This is my fifth time visiting the Riviera Maya. This resort isn´t the best but not the worse either.
(If it was possible my grade would have been 3,5)
I´ve read here that this resort is big but comparing to other resorts in this area I would say it´s middle sized.
You have to walk a big deal because the golfcars are rarely coming according to schedule. On the other hand it is not a problem to walk on the lovely grounds.
The food is OK, but I agree that they should offer a little more variation.
We stayed at a Platinum Suite with ocean view. I understood that these rooms aren´t available if you book through the Internet. But I asked the reception if it was possible to pay for an upgrade and bingo. They had an available room. I had to pay 50 dollars extra per night but the room and the view was worth the price.
The staff in general was very polite and helpful. But the strange thing is that the two concierges at the Platinum lounge who are supposed to give you the best service were not good at all. Ok, they were doing their job but you know when someone is giving you a good or mediocre service. I think my wife and I were not the only ones who noticed this lack of interest.
The beach was not the best either, but please, it´s the Caribbean. If you want a beautiful beach take a trip to Playa Paraiso in Tulum.
The coatis at the property are what I will remember the most about this hotel. They are a real show if you enjoy wildlife. They are very skillful stealing the food they serve at the beach. There are two crocs and turtles too, just ask where to find them.
Would I go back to this hotel? Probably not, the price was very good but there are plenty of new places to explore on the Mayan Riviera.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Victor C

Dear Zorrito_10,

First of all we would like to apologize for your dissapointment in your recent vacation with us. Our clients' opinion is of utmost importance since is our main source to improve our services.
However I would like to explain that in our Resort as in the majority of hotels, all our suites are subject to availability. I regret if this situation affected your stay with us.

We deeply regret not having been able to exceed your expectations on your last visit, your impression will help us a lot to keep growing as you deserve.

Please be so kind to send me more details about the platinum concierge service at: community.riviera@princess-hotels.com

We hope you would like to honor us once more with your visit, thus giving us the chance to demonstrate that our commitment towards your satisfaction goes beyond mere words.

We'll do our maximum effort not only to accomplish, but exceed your expectations.

I kindly remain at your total disposal for any further comments.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at this resort. It was my first time at an all inclusive and I didn't quite know what to expect. But I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds are just beautiful and they take excellent care to make sure things are always pristine and clean. Very important to me. The room was cool, which was a nice break from the heat. Beds were a little hard but oh well. I slept just fine.

We were in a junior suite and it was just perfect. I didn't get to see the higher end suites, obviously, but was really happy with our suite. We were in the 7000's which placed us right in the middle of the resort..half way to the main building and half way to the beach. We had a pool just steps from our room and it was perfect. It wasn't the 'party pool' that was just down the way and it was quiet and offered both sun and shade. The bar was also right there and they would come around frequently taking drink orders.

We were on the main level and our little balcony was great. Offered a lovely shaded area when you needed to get a break from the sun and it was breezy too!! Great way to see the local fauna also such as iguanas, geckos and the likes. The cleaning staff were super friendly and did a great job. The shower was to die for as was the whole bathroom. There is a mini bar in the room that provides bottled water, beer and pop, which they filled daily.

I found the staff super friendly and helpful. There are two buffet's that are open alternate hours. I preferred the Sunset over the Riviera buffet. We also booked an a la carte at the Hacienda. It was really good also. Just make sure you book your a la carte right when you get there.
Also, if you're looking for spa services, make sure to book them within the first 24 hours of your stay and you'll get 50% off...I missed out on that and there were quite a few weddings that week so getting a walk in spot was pretty tough. Book in advance, for sure!!!

People might complain about the expensive internet, but hey, you're on vacation!!! I bought a package from my cell provider and found that offered me just enough to keep in touch, while not being attached to my phone all the time. The prices of things in the gift shop are not cheap for things like snacks ($12 US for a bag of Dorritos!!) however, the gift items are pretty reasonable. There was a market that was set up on Thursday night from some in town vendors. Make sure to haggle but be careful because you can find a lot of the same stuff in the gift shop for cheaper.
All in all, a great week. I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you're doing excursions...book at the hotel with Best Day Travel. They are super helpful. I...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear TravelGirl0923

We thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and for having taken your time to share them with the TripAdvisor Travelers.

Our staff members are so glad to know that their efforts have been recognized, thank you for highlighting the high service that you received during your stay.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

My Husband and i enjoyed our 2 weeks at the GRP in June 2013. Its a fantastic hotel, i would highly recommend doing a room upgrade though. We upgraded to the villa section but to be honest platinum would have been just as good. All the restaurants were clean and food hot and varied, beach was clean and the staff fantastic. I would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Platinum sea view or swim up
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LHart1978

Dear LHart1978,

Thank you so very much for your lovely review about your experience with us at the Grand Riviera Princess.

Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more and improve ourselves every day.
On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

we just got back from this hotel it was nice but its the little things for a 5 star resort it really cheap's out on things.The bed was so hard it was hard to sleep,the pillows were round hard things that ever morning my neck was out,no kleenex in any of the rooms.But the biggest thing was the wifi they wanted $20.00 a day for a service that should be free. Then there is change we couldn't get change anywhere to tip,which i don't under stand because you know how they like their tips.the beach is full of shacks that block the view and big rocks in the water.We stayed at the Sando's resort in playacar a couple years ago its a 4 star but much nicer than this resort.oh the alacart resteraunts were terrible exept the Japanese your better off to eat in the buffets

Room Tip: all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 236richard

Dear 236richard
I wish to thank you for your feedback in regards to your experience with us. I have taken note of all the comments that of course are discussed with the involved department heads.

We are deeply sorry to know that you did not have an excellent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences on your stay, we always try to make feel our guest very comfortable from arrival to departure.

We really appreciate your comments, your feedback help us to rectify to improve our standards, and to reach for a perfect service.

Best regards,