This was our 2nd visit 2 Mexico and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. As other reviews state it is a big resort. Basically 2 mirrored hotels and the platinum suites.
The hotel it's self was kept spotless, continually cleaning all the communal areas. Grounds are also kept well, continually maintaining and replacing.
The pools were also cleaned daily, we tended to stay away from the main pools as we found it too busy, very loud however people seemed to be enjoying the whole party atmosphere. The down side to the quieter pool areas where the lack of near by bars, yes they did come round to serve you but this was a bit spasmodic and took a while for you to get a drink. A couple of day a "roll up bar" was set up near the area which was great.
Sun beds did tend to get taken up early in the day - on saying that you could be out and sun bathing at 9. I would imagine at peak times it would become difficulty to get a bed, also there were no umbrellas, there was some platform areas that wee covered - however these were always taken early on in the day.
It could become very slippy in certain areas, wooden bridges/pool area and some of the marble flooring, no worse than other hotels we have been to, but caution is required.
Room, yes they did have a slight musty smell, again this is something you do tend to get in the humid conditions. AC worked well, cleaned daily and fridge restocked. 3 days before we were due to left we kept being asked when were we leaving and on the day when would we vacate the room, which did become a little tiresome.
Food, typically buffet with plenty of fresh salad and fruit. Hot food was a little bland, lots of chicken but was of a good quality. We used the al a carte a few times, yes book early, apparently the show cooking was a good experience, it was nice to be served and be in a different environment and would recommend you try to utilise these.
There is extensive bldg work next door, be careful if you book the platinum suites as some of these are looking out onto the bldg site! They worked late some nights, we only heard the noise once during the day round the pools, at night we didn't hear anything as our room was facing away from the area, however some rooms faced the works and would have been effected by the noise.
We used the shuttle bus to go to the local town, got a taxi back. The town is becoming more and more touristy but you can find some local culture.
Bars, the sport bar got very busy and noisey, but was really open 24hrs and nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Some branded spirits, lovely cocktails.
Some live bands and entertainment in the main plaza. The shows were a little repetitive but worthwhile catching a few of them.
One of the things that stood out at this hotel was the fact that everyone members of staff spoke or acknowledged you and seemed genuinely pleased to see you.
Downsides - wifi is expensive. Not a lot around the hotel .
We would go back.
Not to do with the hotel, however we were expecting to fly on the Dream Liner from Manchester but where told that it did fly from the airport in the winter, which considering we had severely phones calls seeing if we wanted to upgrade and had the conversation around why would we when it's the DL and at no point was this questioned. We are still waiting for Thompson to get back to us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll. Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon). A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico