“Dream Vacation!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Dream Vacation!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We stayed here at the end of January 2013. After we booked it, I was on Trip Adviser everyday reading the latest reviews getting more and more nervous thinking I had made the wrong decision. We booked Platinum and I'm really happy that we did. Our flight was first thing @ 7:20am and we arrived @ the Cancun airport shortly after lunch. We got to the hotel around 2pm and did not have to wait in line to check in. We received a glass of champagne and a wet towel. First Impression, we were blown away by the beauty and splendor of the hotel. Check in took 5 minutes. We choose to walk to our room to admire the beautiful and clean grounds. Our room was on the third floor of the platinum building at the back facing the ocean; we could sit on our balcony and watch the ocean, so peaceful. Our luggage arrived within 10 minutes of getting to our room. Our room was absolutely spotless. I can't stress enough how clean this hotel was, our room was cleaned very well every day. Yes, we did tip but they definitely deserved it! I choose to immediately go downstairs to the platinum concierge and make reservations for each night of our trip @ the different restaurants. Our room did have free wifi but depending on where you were in the room, the signal was very weak. But the platinum area did have computers and free wifi. We only went in the platinum pool once because it was packed everyday and when we'd try and get a bed they were already all taken by 8am. That was not a problem for us because we preferred the beach anyways. The beach was beautiful, we choose not to sit in the platinum area but rather to walk down to the end towards the bushes and sit on sun loungers there. It was always less congested there. We did bring our "bubba kegs" because they kept our drinks cold as well as it was nice having a lid. Our room was only a 5 minute walk to the beach which was handy for bathroom trips. I never used the beach bathroom. We did go to the "quiet pool" one afternoon and had a great time. Manuel was serving "piss in the pool" shots to everyone, those hit you pretty hard in the hot sun, lol. The staff was awesome, we never had any complaints. Our room was so clean, never saw any bugs, and not even an ant in our room. We loved the tub on our balcony and used it every day! We'd usually get up, eat breakfast, go to the beach for the day and come back to our room around 4 and jump in our tub together, have a few drinks and watch the ocean and then get ready for supper. There is allot of walking, this is not a resort for the people who don't like walking. We really enjoyed the walking, we never used the trolley once; I didn't gain a pound either! The grounds were so beautiful and there were always iguanas out so the walks were very enjoyable. Also, as much as I love wearing high heels, I chose to wear flats for safety as the staff washes all the walk ways in the evening and it did get a little slippery. We ate at all of the restaurants and they were all pretty good. We loved Miso, our favorite by far. La Hacienda was our least favorite though and we were disappointed with that because we love Mexican food. We also did order room service one night for a late night snack (room service is free with platinum) and it was not very good. Also, even though the resort was packed, it was never crowded feeling or noisy. It's very spacious. Overall, it was an amazing vacation. I was very happy we chose this resort because it was half the price of allot of other brand name 5 star resorts and the quality was fabulous. The staff was excellent and it was not understaffed when we were there. We treated everyone with respect and tipped generously and we were treated like a king and queen. Love it and will definitely go back! Don’t be scared off by the negative reviews.

Room Tip: Go Platinum and ask for the third floor with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SunshineGirl4ever
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to extend you our gratitude for selecting us to celebrate your vacation, and for sharing your value opinion of your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess

We greatly appreciate all of your kind words and are thrilled to know that you had such a good time in our property. It is a pleasure to read you enjoyed our facilities, your unbelievable room, the pool area and the variety of our Restaurants, but most of all we thank you for give us the opportunity to host you and show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.
Thank you very much for your visit and we look forward to seeing you.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Best Regards
Grand Riviera Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,936)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed December 9, 2013

The hotel grounds and buildings were wonderful. Many assoiates were excellent. However from their web site we book three rooms in the Platinum category expecting inclusion of swim up / adults only areas.
upon arrival the hotel was over booked so we were given rooms that looked at a swamp. One room was flooded with water coming out the walls and floor. Other 2 were missing towels.
Concierge was rude and not helpful.
First three days buffet was missing many common staples like guacamole, butter, bacon,ice. Later no potatoes, or noodles for spaghetti sauce and no fresh fruits.
Discount golf was refused
Free wine was not drinkable
All restaurants were fully booked leaving buffet the only option
Choice of pillows advertised was and extra cash deposit of US $ 30 each
Beach was nice but had up to 30 at a time band of large raccoon type animals at your chairs after all drinks and food. Someone is going to get bitten and then what?Rabi shots?
We got a lot of sorrys
Met other people with similar stories some had stayed there before with great experiences but now would never go back.
Took the time to discuss situation with the General manager ----- which resulted in an in your face denial letter.
"Buyer be ware."

Room Tip: Get room style in writing guaranteed by hotel and travel agent so no disappointment upon arrival. We...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank BNLazy
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you invest in sharing this review with us and the TripAdvisor Travelers.
We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

We have especially noted your comments about the food, allow me tell you that we will talk with our Chef to improve our service every day to provide the best dishes that our guests have tasted.
We do hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at the Princess Riviera from November 25 to December 2. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a deluxe suite in the 6000 building. We were a group of three couples and our rooms were all side by side. We loved our location on the resort as it was close to the pools and the beach. I absolutely loved the beach and Antonio and Manuel at the beach bar were fantastic. Manuel and Marcelo at the pool bar at the "quiet pool" were awesome. The food at both the buffet and a la cartes was great. This was our second time at this resort and I would definitely go back. I can truly appreciate and do not envy the challenge of having to please so many different personalities and palates.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donna L
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time during your vacation to share your experience at Grand Riviera Princess

It is a pleasure for us to learn you had a great stay in our property, also we are glad to know that our service went beyond your expectations and always oriented in your total satisfaction.
We will gladly pass on your compliments to each one of them.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Southampton
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I travelled here, 13th November to 27th November 2013. We read the varied reviews before travelling, so were quite unsure as what to expect. Arriving late, tired and tetchy I was relieved we were greeted by an efficient and friendly Eduardo who quickly sorted our check in and directed us to our very pleasant room in the Grand Yucatan Platinum Princess adult only section. Our swim up room was very comfortable. However, the signs of heavy usage could do with refurbishment in some areas to maintain the Platinum status.
In the light of the next morning, we discovered just how beautiful this hotel really is. The gardens must be some of the most beautiful in this part of Mexico. Also, I agree with many others, that the cleanliness of the resort is second to none. We never experienced problems such as slipping on floors ( which is surprising as I can be the clumsiest person in the world!) , but I would suggest that people wear sensible footwear when it rains.
People complain about the size of the resort but we found it was a wonderful opportunity to walk and never once used the little shuttle buses. So despite eating and drinking much more than usual we kept weight gain to a minimum! Personally, I think all able bodied should easily manage any resort walking.
The variety and quality of food available on the resort should satisfy everyone. Those that complain should examine whether they are unhappy simply because some foods and/or restaurants are just not to their personal taste, rather than being inferior. Being epicureans we never struggled to find some delicious morsels to delight our palates, and the service in all restaurants, including the buffets was friendly and efficient, nothing was too much bother.
Our favourite restaurants were Le Fleur and La Hacienda. Also, thank you to Ronaldo for his service at the Platinum section of the Riviera Maya buffet.
We ate at the Chill Out restaurant but felt is was a case of style over substance, so didn't make the proposed second booking.
The beaches were well maintained and we enjoyed the butler service at the Platinum section. Here, I will take a little moment to express our great thanks and admiration of the lovely, lovely Yara. Without exception every time we saw her, she worked relentlessly to ensure that everyone was served quickly, efficiently and with the most cheery of personalities. How on earth does she remember everyone's favourite tipple? How does she manage to carry so many drinks all at once without spillage? AMAZING!! As soon as she knew we were there, she had my preferred mojito and hubby's cerveza delivered to us!! Thank you Yara we miss you very much!
Other notable staff we wish to commend were Angel and Rolando of the Plaza bar, both skilled bartenders. Laraina and Miquel of the Yucatan pool bar... thankyou. Another staff member we came to think of as a friend was dear Lucas in the Piano Bar. Kind, friendly, superbly efficient and one of the best mixologists we have encountered. Wish we could see him every week. Miss you Lucas and 'CHELSEA'!!!!!!
We can't name all the other staff who made our holiday so special but to ALL who work so very hard to please the guests, we send out a big 'OLA' and a massive 'MUCHOS GRACIOUS'.
Mexico we love you, hotel we love you and in particular all the hotel staff we love you!!!!!
A small reminder to the less polite guests that smiles, pleases and thank yous cost nothing and are often appreciated much more than monetry rewards alone. You may find your kindness would be returned everytime, as we did.
From Joanne and Kevin Southampton, England
PS To anyone who loves wildlife you will love the creatures here from the cute coatis to the imperial iguanas and all the others, there is always something to fascinate and photograph.

Room Tip: Swim up room in Yucatan section lovely AND peaceful, with good bar service, at present. Not too far...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jokinabalu
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Grand Riviera Princess.

We are delighted to read that you spent a great time in our resort. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our facilities, the beach area, the different restaurants and the service provided by our staff.

Be assured that I will share your comments with all our hard-working staff, they will be so glad to know that their job were recognized.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Sandy, Utah
Reviewed December 5, 2013

1. The room was not clean. After tipping the maid, it got cleaner. I do not like dirt in corners and dirty floors.
2. All inclusive was good for the alcohol but the food was horrible. Happy we brought some food with us.
3. Power sources was bad too. We called for an extension cord and was brought an electrical box with an outlet and plug in. TAKE AN extension cord for electronic devices.
4. The pool closes at seven PM. You were not supposed to go to the beach then either. Why have a pool outside your room if you can not use it in the evening.
5. The approximate cost to go to Play Del Carmen was $72.00 round trip. Really expensive for a 10 + or - a few minutes. This was bad because after spending time at the hotel (I do not know how they call it a resort) you start to feel closed in but how often can a $72.00 cab fee be justified.
6. Be sure you like to walk and do not expect any benches to take a break on because ther are not any.
7. Their onsite stores are over priced and as I said before to go to town is over $70.00.
I would never go back to this hotel or area. I will stick with Cabo San Lucas and Grand Solmar Lands End.

Room Tip: No tips but beware of very slippery balconies and hall walkways VERY SLICK. I slipped and fell fla...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlene T
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Grand Riviera Princess, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays; we regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel.

Your comments are really important to us to improve our services, and we are taking them into consideration to solve them. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction.

I have noticed your comment about the food and I can assure you that I will pass your review to our Executive Chef to check our quality standards although I regret that has not been satisfied with the multiple food choices we have for our guests.

I would like to clarify that we offer the shuttle to town of Playa Del Carmen for free, you only have to book with one day in advance.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this resort for 5 days at the end of August 2013 with my fiancé and had such an amazing time. We actually got engaged on our 2nd night! :)

I definitely recommend staying in one of the swim-up rooms. We stayed in one of the Yucatan/adults only rooms, and let me tell you, nothing beats waking up in the morning and swimming to the bar for a delicious Bloody Mary. The bartenders were always the best of their staff - fun, very nice, and always keeping your cup full!

The beach was by far our favorite area of this resort. The adults only section to the far left of the beach rarely had anyone else when the only parts were packed. The beach was always clean and the water was absolutely stunning! It really is as blue as it looks in the photos if you've never been to Mexico. Security is also always on the beach, even at night, so we felt very safe making our late night trips to the beach every night. I especially loved the bridges to get to the beach and the wildlife you could see there (not to mention this is where he proposed)!

My only real complaint about this resort is the unfriendliness of some of the resort staff, specifically the concierge and reception. They lost our bags when we arrived, so we were unable to swim or do much for 5 hours. But the reason they ended up losing our bags is because they kept sending us to rooms that we did not have a reservation for. The first room we were sent to was not a swim-up and had scratch marks in the head board. Then we were asked to sit in another room while they cleaned our actual room. It really wasn't a huge deal, but was sort of disappointing since we were so excited to be there and just wanted to run around and scream of excitement! :) As for the concierge in our area, they were just not helpful. If you need to talk to concierge, definitely make the trip to the lobby.

All in all, this was a really great trip and I will return one day - mostly because this is where we got engaged, but also because it was so relaxing and fun! This resort is huge, so be prepared to do lots of walking. We liked all of the walking, but I can see how some might not.

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite Yucatan swim-up for couples.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LyndsLinds
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Grand Riviera Princess we would like to thank you for your review.
We have taken all your comments into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Riviera Princess
Best Regards.
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Recently vacationed at this resort with another couple and first impression was wow! But as the week progressed became so so. The grounds were kept very clean, rooms were spacious and the pools relaxing. We walked to the beach one day but due to the smell did not return. The food was standard resort food the buffet I did not enjoy. My biggest problem with this resort was the staff they seemed bothered to assist in anyway. Some days our rooms were not even cleaned and we made sure to The one exception was Carlos in Miso he was WONDERFUL and made it the best dining experience.
we had a swim up suite which was ok because alot of garabe ended up on our pool lounger area and the water did not seem as clean as main pool. I walked into our room and slipped due to nothing in front of sliding doors. I asked for more towels to lay in front of door but did not receive any until day five. Would I return no. There are many resorts that I have been to that have a staff that are attentive and that makes your trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BrightB603
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your last stay with us at Grand Riviera Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy your vacations in the Riviera Maya.
I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to take action on the matter.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#85 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!