“Excellent resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Excellent resort”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed at the Princess Riviera from November 25 to December 2. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a deluxe suite in the 6000 building. We were a group of three couples and our rooms were all side by side. We loved our location on the resort as it was close to the pools and the beach. I absolutely loved the beach and Antonio and Manuel at the beach bar were fantastic. Manuel and Marcelo at the pool bar at the "quiet pool" were awesome. The food at both the buffet and a la cartes was great. This was our second time at this resort and I would definitely go back. I can truly appreciate and do not envy the challenge of having to please so many different personalities and palates.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Donna L
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time during your vacation to share your experience at Grand Riviera Princess

It is a pleasure for us to learn you had a great stay in our property, also we are glad to know that our service went beyond your expectations and always oriented in your total satisfaction.
We will gladly pass on your compliments to each one of them.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Grand Riviera Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,935)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Southampton
Reviewed December 6, 2013

My husband and I travelled here, 13th November to 27th November 2013. We read the varied reviews before travelling, so were quite unsure as what to expect. Arriving late, tired and tetchy I was relieved we were greeted by an efficient and friendly Eduardo who quickly sorted our check in and directed us to our very pleasant room in the Grand Yucatan Platinum Princess adult only section. Our swim up room was very comfortable. However, the signs of heavy usage could do with refurbishment in some areas to maintain the Platinum status.
In the light of the next morning, we discovered just how beautiful this hotel really is. The gardens must be some of the most beautiful in this part of Mexico. Also, I agree with many others, that the cleanliness of the resort is second to none. We never experienced problems such as slipping on floors ( which is surprising as I can be the clumsiest person in the world!) , but I would suggest that people wear sensible footwear when it rains.
People complain about the size of the resort but we found it was a wonderful opportunity to walk and never once used the little shuttle buses. So despite eating and drinking much more than usual we kept weight gain to a minimum! Personally, I think all able bodied should easily manage any resort walking.
The variety and quality of food available on the resort should satisfy everyone. Those that complain should examine whether they are unhappy simply because some foods and/or restaurants are just not to their personal taste, rather than being inferior. Being epicureans we never struggled to find some delicious morsels to delight our palates, and the service in all restaurants, including the buffets was friendly and efficient, nothing was too much bother.
Our favourite restaurants were Le Fleur and La Hacienda. Also, thank you to Ronaldo for his service at the Platinum section of the Riviera Maya buffet.
We ate at the Chill Out restaurant but felt is was a case of style over substance, so didn't make the proposed second booking.
The beaches were well maintained and we enjoyed the butler service at the Platinum section. Here, I will take a little moment to express our great thanks and admiration of the lovely, lovely Yara. Without exception every time we saw her, she worked relentlessly to ensure that everyone was served quickly, efficiently and with the most cheery of personalities. How on earth does she remember everyone's favourite tipple? How does she manage to carry so many drinks all at once without spillage? AMAZING!! As soon as she knew we were there, she had my preferred mojito and hubby's cerveza delivered to us!! Thank you Yara we miss you very much!
Other notable staff we wish to commend were Angel and Rolando of the Plaza bar, both skilled bartenders. Laraina and Miquel of the Yucatan pool bar... thankyou. Another staff member we came to think of as a friend was dear Lucas in the Piano Bar. Kind, friendly, superbly efficient and one of the best mixologists we have encountered. Wish we could see him every week. Miss you Lucas and 'CHELSEA'!!!!!!
We can't name all the other staff who made our holiday so special but to ALL who work so very hard to please the guests, we send out a big 'OLA' and a massive 'MUCHOS GRACIOUS'.
Mexico we love you, hotel we love you and in particular all the hotel staff we love you!!!!!
A small reminder to the less polite guests that smiles, pleases and thank yous cost nothing and are often appreciated much more than monetry rewards alone. You may find your kindness would be returned everytime, as we did.
From Joanne and Kevin Southampton, England
PS To anyone who loves wildlife you will love the creatures here from the cute coatis to the imperial iguanas and all the others, there is always something to fascinate and photograph.

Room Tip: Swim up room in Yucatan section lovely AND peaceful, with good bar service, at present. Not too far...
9 Thank Jokinabalu
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Grand Riviera Princess.

We are delighted to read that you spent a great time in our resort. We sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our facilities, the beach area, the different restaurants and the service provided by our staff.

Be assured that I will share your comments with all our hard-working staff, they will be so glad to know that their job were recognized.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Sandy, Utah
Reviewed December 5, 2013

1. The room was not clean. After tipping the maid, it got cleaner. I do not like dirt in corners and dirty floors.
2. All inclusive was good for the alcohol but the food was horrible. Happy we brought some food with us.
3. Power sources was bad too. We called for an extension cord and was brought an electrical box with an outlet and plug in. TAKE AN extension cord for electronic devices.
4. The pool closes at seven PM. You were not supposed to go to the beach then either. Why have a pool outside your room if you can not use it in the evening.
5. The approximate cost to go to Play Del Carmen was $72.00 round trip. Really expensive for a 10 + or - a few minutes. This was bad because after spending time at the hotel (I do not know how they call it a resort) you start to feel closed in but how often can a $72.00 cab fee be justified.
6. Be sure you like to walk and do not expect any benches to take a break on because ther are not any.
7. Their onsite stores are over priced and as I said before to go to town is over $70.00.
I would never go back to this hotel or area. I will stick with Cabo San Lucas and Grand Solmar Lands End.

Room Tip: No tips but beware of very slippery balconies and hall walkways VERY SLICK. I slipped and fell fla...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Charlene T
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the Management and the entire staff of Grand Riviera Princess, we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays; we regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel.

Your comments are really important to us to improve our services, and we are taking them into consideration to solve them. We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guest satisfaction.

I have noticed your comment about the food and I can assure you that I will pass your review to our Executive Chef to check our quality standards although I regret that has not been satisfied with the multiple food choices we have for our guests.

I would like to clarify that we offer the shuttle to town of Playa Del Carmen for free, you only have to book with one day in advance.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future.

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at this resort for 5 days at the end of August 2013 with my fiancé and had such an amazing time. We actually got engaged on our 2nd night! :)

I definitely recommend staying in one of the swim-up rooms. We stayed in one of the Yucatan/adults only rooms, and let me tell you, nothing beats waking up in the morning and swimming to the bar for a delicious Bloody Mary. The bartenders were always the best of their staff - fun, very nice, and always keeping your cup full!

The beach was by far our favorite area of this resort. The adults only section to the far left of the beach rarely had anyone else when the only parts were packed. The beach was always clean and the water was absolutely stunning! It really is as blue as it looks in the photos if you've never been to Mexico. Security is also always on the beach, even at night, so we felt very safe making our late night trips to the beach every night. I especially loved the bridges to get to the beach and the wildlife you could see there (not to mention this is where he proposed)!

My only real complaint about this resort is the unfriendliness of some of the resort staff, specifically the concierge and reception. They lost our bags when we arrived, so we were unable to swim or do much for 5 hours. But the reason they ended up losing our bags is because they kept sending us to rooms that we did not have a reservation for. The first room we were sent to was not a swim-up and had scratch marks in the head board. Then we were asked to sit in another room while they cleaned our actual room. It really wasn't a huge deal, but was sort of disappointing since we were so excited to be there and just wanted to run around and scream of excitement! :) As for the concierge in our area, they were just not helpful. If you need to talk to concierge, definitely make the trip to the lobby.

All in all, this was a really great trip and I will return one day - mostly because this is where we got engaged, but also because it was so relaxing and fun! This resort is huge, so be prepared to do lots of walking. We liked all of the walking, but I can see how some might not.

Room Tip: Deluxe Suite Yucatan swim-up for couples.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LyndsLinds
Obed C, Manager at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Guest

On a behalf of the staff and management here at Grand Riviera Princess we would like to thank you for your review.
We have taken all your comments into consideration and we will do the best we can to improve all the mentioned points.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Riviera Princess
Best Regards.
Stratford, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Recently vacationed at this resort with another couple and first impression was wow! But as the week progressed became so so. The grounds were kept very clean, rooms were spacious and the pools relaxing. We walked to the beach one day but due to the smell did not return. The food was standard resort food the buffet I did not enjoy. My biggest problem with this resort was the staff they seemed bothered to assist in anyway. Some days our rooms were not even cleaned and we made sure to The one exception was Carlos in Miso he was WONDERFUL and made it the best dining experience.
we had a swim up suite which was ok because alot of garabe ended up on our pool lounger area and the water did not seem as clean as main pool. I walked into our room and slipped due to nothing in front of sliding doors. I asked for more towels to lay in front of door but did not receive any until day five. Would I return no. There are many resorts that I have been to that have a staff that are attentive and that makes your trip.

2 Thank BrightB603
Dear Guest,
First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your last stay with us at Grand Riviera Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy your vacations in the Riviera Maya.
We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.
I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to take action on the matter.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Williams Lake, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

If you are travelling with a large group and anybody that may be loud do not stay here. There noise policy is unreal. They kicked out 3 of my guests. 2 being after they were assaulted by a police officer and his wife from Toronto (the cop tried to drown them while chocking one and they get kicked out because they had a noise complaint the night prior from this same cop/neighbor). One guest being a groomsmen and they would not even allow him to come to wedding for an hour. The wedding was way over priced, I originally paid for a private reception on the beach and then due to rain they wanted more money to move it inside last minute and cut it short. The manager Gena is probably the most iggnorant person alive. I will give props to the photographers as my pictures turned out amazing and to Jacky the wedding coordinator. I would never recommend this resort for a wedding or a large young group. Also, young kids, tons of walking for them and they get very tired. They didnt have room decorated like they said on wedding night, didnt get my gift or robes and slippers till 3 days before i left (was there 14) they didnt have no welcome drink for me or any of my guests the following week, I had to go do this myself for them. They made it seem like am amazing place to stay and didnt follow through with any of the wedding stuff that they said was included. No free wifi it costs 20 dollars for 24hours. Free shuttle to playa. This you have to book three days in advance to get a spot and it leaves at 10am. I am not one to complain but I was blown away with how we were treated as soon as we had a noise complaint and everyone knew they were booked with my wedding group. The restaurants were pretty good, Miso being the best. I know that there will always be something but I felt awful that my guests were unhappy due to the staff. I would never tell anybody to get married at this resort, if you are a single couple or a family but not a big wedding group. I have heard of many other great weddings at other resorts where they dont charge you an arm and a leg for any extras. Dance floor on beach 1800.00 like really? Anyway good luck brides with finding a nice resort for your wedding but do not stay with The Princess.

Room Tip: At least the Junior Delux suite, ps they are adding onto this resort so the entire backside of the r...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank paige m
Dear Guest,

Thank you, for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

We truly regret if we did not surpass your expectations with some of our services, we assure you that this is not a common situation, and in no way is representative of our service. Your notes have been passed to the departments involved in order to improve our service and provide you the service you deserve.

Our guest’s observations are vital for us, because we can learn and improve our service, thank you to your notes we will be working immediately to take the proper measures to do not repeat this with you or other guests.

Despite your initial impressions, I do hope we can correct our shortcomings and invite your family back in the future for a seamless vacation from arrival to departure.

Best regards,
essex
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My partner and I have stayed in Mexico on many occasions and this hotel is BY FAR the worst hotel we have stayed in. How it gets a 5 star rating from First Choice holidays beggars belief.
We arrived on 10 November and given room 7006. This is possibly one of the closest rooms to the massive building site which borders this complex and work continues 24 hours a day. Bearing in mind this was only booked less than 3 months ago, no mention of this was revealed to us at time of booking or up to date of travel and we would certainly not booked here had we known. We did get moved to the other side of the hotel, room 3124 but the noise was just as bad and the condition of the room was appalling. Plaster was hanging from a repair to the plasterboard ceiling, water flowed into the toilet when the shower was turned on, the light switch was masticed back to the tiles and doors were not in working order but this was the least of our worries.

The food at the buffet restaurants was disgusting, never hot, not replenished until someone asked and very often recycled. Some days there were ribs, chicken and broccoli next to the eggs at breakfast. The al a carte restaurants were better, the food was fresh and hot but not much choice. After one of our complaints we were given a complementary lobster meal each, neither of which were finished, they just were not nice.

It's not all totally negative, the grounds looked stunning and kept immaculate, that is until you go down to the beach. IT STINKS of sewage and the sea is brown and when some friends asked why this was, the concierge told them it was overspill from the mangroves and if they signed a disclaimer they could spend the rest of their holiday at the Chill Out Bar free of charge!! They declined saying "they didn't want to be Billy No Mates and smell poo all day" By the way, take a look at Google Earth and see for yourself. You might not be able to smell the stench but you can clearly see the brown water that appears to funnel out a little way offshore directly in front of the boardwalk.

On day ten of our stay my partner became very ill, the hotel Doctor was summoned and she was admitted to the local hospital in playa del carmen. After tests she was diagnosed with gastro-enteritis accompanied with parasites. We asked the Doctor how this could be and was told " poor food preparation". In the bed next to my partner was a Canadian woman with the same problem and a man down the corridor again with the same problem, you have probably already guessed, yes both from our hotel. That was holiday over for my partner with a cocktail of five different antibiotics to take and no appetite. Both food and drink were off the menu.

At this point I had had enough, and asked the rep to see her manager. She listened to us, took some videos and images from my iPad and assured us she would sort out our problem when we got back, 10% refund was the offer!

I very rarely write feedback but in this case my advice is to please choose somewhere else.

Room Tip: nowhere near the building site
16 Thank acarpfisherman
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with me and other readers your recent experience while staying in Grand Riviera Princess, I appreciate your feedback as it provides me with information that is helpful in identifying those areas of opportunity we may be overlooking.
we wish to respond to specific assertions made in the posting.

Regarding the food, we have the highest standards of quality in the preparation of dishes and also we have the Cristal certificate, which guarantees that.
When people got gastro-enteritis they often suspect they are suffering from food poisoning. However, these symptoms can also result from viral infections, which may be airborne, or some other cause, and may not in fact be food related.
Very often, persons suffering from suspected food poisoning feel sure that the cause is the last meal eaten, especially if this happens to be a meal at a restaurant or takeaway.
But, food poisoning bacteria take quite a long time before actually making you ill. On average between 12-24 hours and sometimes longer. So it is more likely that the cause of the illness is something eaten the previous day or even 2-3 days earlier. Some illnesses can take up to 7 days before you show any symptoms.
Also if you ate outside the resort, we cannot guarantee that the food preparation is done according to our quality standards.
Regarding the other guests in the hospital, we do not have any report of that situation so we cannot verify that part of your story.
Now answering your main question about why does the beach stink of sewage and the water brown?”

The Grand Riviera Princess is surrounded by the natural beauty of Mexico. The mangroves are located towards the front of the hotel; they are an important eco system and are highly protected due to environmental reasons. During rainy weather, the mangroves can produce a sulphur like smell; This smell is not the result of any contamination but rather the result of an entirely natural and organic process
Also I would like to clarify that here in Mexico, like in most parts of the world it is strictly prohibited to throw any type of waste into the ocean. We have had inspections of government institutions on a regular basis that have studied this process and declared that what we have is a natural process that involves the mangrove. We have a detailed documentation together with water analysis conducted by different laboratories, ready to be provided if you wish. We can assure you that the ocean is getting clearer every day It will get back to normal as soon the environmental conditions allow this to happen.
I deeply regret that you were not able to read this information in all the signs around the mangrove, also if you still had doubts, I can assured you that our concierge would have given a better explanation
We wish you have a better experience on your next vacations.

Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#88 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!