“November 2nd - November 12th”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
st. catharines, ontario
“November 2nd - November 12th”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Just returned from this hotel on November 12th. All in all it was a beautiful resort and we did book Platinum. In my opinion, what I paid for the upgrades were not worth the price of what you actually get.

The pillows were hard as rocks and when I went to enquire about getting a softer pillow, they wanted a $35.00 deposit....remember....this is platinum.

The one day that I went to the beach (I am not a beach person), the "Butler" came around maybe twice and at one point. forgot one of our friend's order. This is NOT the fault of the waitress, There were just too many people on the beach and not enough staff. This could have been due to the fact that it rained everyday that we were there....once again....not the fault of the hotel.....

I did enjoy the peace and quiet of the Platinum pool and it was nice to have someone make your dinner reservations.....but I was not impressed with any of the restaurants except maybe the Japanese.....

I have been to many resorts in the last few years and I can honestly say that the food on those resorts were just as good as the buffets at this resort, including the Platinum Buffet. We did order room service two nights....the first night, the food was just o.k. but on one particular rainy night, we decided to order again. I thought for sure that we would have a long wait time because of the rain but I was surprised. They did show up in 35 minutes as promised and the half chicken breast that I ordered was excellent, Probably the best meal that I had while I was there.....kudos to the kitchen staff....

I do want to mention our room attendant, Guadelupe (sp), was just wonderful and did everything that she could to make our stay as comfortable as possible AND of course Felix who was the main bartender at the Platinum lounge most of the time that we were there. He was very personable and funny....also went out of his way to see that we had everything that we needed....also the young lady that worked with him....

I found a few of the waiters exceptionally nice and I realise that they are rushed most times but very few were personable....some acted like they did not want to be working and I can understand that we all have days like that, but in this environment....this is where most of your tips came from. Our family did not mind leaving tips at all since we know how hard these people work for their money. Some waiters/waitresses just received more than others.

All in all this was a beautiful resort but in my estimation but I probably would not return, The resort it like staying inside a small city and takes away from the charm of what it would be like to live in Mexico....

Be very careful of the floors. We saw many people slip, fall and hurt themselves because the floors were so slippery. Even in the shower it was all tiles and the shower leaked out onto the all tile bathroom floor. You had to be careful at all times. I am sure that when most people sipped, alcohol was involved, but I did see little children fall as well....

Hope that this review helps out. If you like large resorts, then this is the place for you. I stayed at a far smaller resort on my first trip to the Mayan and although they did not have the opulence of this resort, I had a far better time.

You de get free internet. Unfortunately they only had four computers in the lobby and most times, only two of them worked....

Whatever you decide,,,,enjoy your trip now that the rainy season is over....I think...LOL

Room Tip: We were in room 5028, just around the corner from the Platinum Lobby....Could not get a swim up beca...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.
On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.
Be assured that I will extend your nice words to our entire staff to motivate them to improve our service everyday.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Grand Riviera Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,936)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Edmonton
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed there end May 2013 with 1 friend for 1 week (just caught a bit of rainy season).. I am pretty picky and I give it 4 *. We booked the Yucatan Princess suites, well worth it. Room very modern and clean, lovely bathroom, nice balcony overlooking the yucatan pool (small, more quiet, has a bar, also the swim-up rooms). It IS a big property, but definitely walkable for healthy people. There WERE little shuttles which we only used once. I don't think kids were allowed in the yucatan side, which was great with us. There were (at least) 3 other pools in between the 2 properties, I know one was the "party pool" with music, games, entertainment etc. (grand sunset and grand riviera are pretty much on the same property). there was one "night club" on the property-pretty small but dj was actually good and drinks ok--not a crazy party property. We did the coco bongo trip through the hotel--we had such a great time! the price is all you can drink, and the show was amazing!! We didn't reserve a table but i would absolutely recommend it--it's a long night of standing otherwise. Also we booked one day trip--the cave swimming-it was really nice and fun even though i was scared initially lol.
Pros:
-great room (modern, so clean, some liquor in room, comfy beds)
-free wifi and free safe in room (yep i'm picky)
-2 private lounges and concierge for the yucatan
-easier to book a la carte restaurants on yucatan side
-drinks pretty good (stronger/premium on yucatan side)
-buffets pretty good (i got sick with gastro symptoms for 4 days but my friend did not get sick)
-food was a little above average for resorts. there was a good selection of fish and some seafood too
-beach was really beautiful, water pretty clean after the 1st couple of fee, but rocky! (bring water shoes)
-on yucatan side there were always loungers available at pool and beach. At other pools the loungers were at a premium/ late comers got crappy spots. Seemed the beach loungers though always available
-very very friendly, kind staff. very clean and safe property
-gym so nice, pretty empty mostly, and so nice and cool in there!

cons:
-a la carte restaurants overrated.
-check in was "OK"--but we were supposed to have improved check-in with the yucatan suites…if you booked the regular rooms it was a long lineup
-the entertainment was lacking- there was an area with live music until ~2300. i don't like the tacky shows anyways, but people complained it was lacking

Room Tip: Yucatan suites on the top floor were the least noisy. apparently swim up rooms could be a little noi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
First of all, we would like to thank you for share your experience at Grand Riviera Princess.
We appreciate you have taken the time to share your impressions with us and we want you to know that we take our guests’ comments very seriously, this helps us to work harder in specific areas which we might have not paid the attention they deserve.
Reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more and improve ourselves every day.
Once again, thank you for your kind comments about our facilities and the service provided for our staff; we hope to have the privilege to welcome you back in a near future and to provide you with a truly unique vacation experience.

Best Regards,
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Very nice grounds; rooms where spacious and clean; Resort is spread out but there is a tram that runs every 10 to 15 minutes all day and evening; the best food came from the Mexican iteration of Japanese; the Habatchi style was not as good as the regular sit down; buffets were good with made to order eggs every morning (get there by 7:30am at the latest to avoid the rush); beach was very nice - clean and packed when we were there; pools (there are 2 available to all-inclusive) were nice, especially the one closest to the beach; service could have been better at both pools but was ok.

All in all we would return to another visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nerfbar
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to read you had a great time in our Hotel; it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our facilities. Our main goal is the total satisfaction of our guests, it is heartwarming read we accomplished that goal with you during your stay.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the near future.
Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I just came back from my 6-day stay at the Grand Riviera Princess and it was a decent first all-inclusive experience. I stayed in room 1205 (a standard room closer to the lobby and away from the pools/beach). It is certainly a huge resort to navigate through the first night I was puzzled as to where everything was. After you get the hang of it then it doesn’t really seem that overwhelming. Nonetheless let’s get into the positives and negatives …

Positives

-The entertainment during the DAY is great (Angel, Johnathan, Edwin, and Adrian) were amazing they kept you active throughout the day. The water aerobics, zumba, bingo, etc there are a lot of activities even for someone my age (early 20s).
-The maid was amazing! I know the resort looks at these reviews and I will pay respect where it is due Carmen was great she cleaned the room and for once I wasn’t scared of walking around barefoot in the room. She made cool designs on the beds which wasn’t needed but much appreciated.
-The hotel on the outside was clean which was amazing but I am also glad that the hotel is environmentally friendly in regards to not wasting air conditioning (most of the hotel is open concept which surprised me but it is smart you tan faster and they save so much on energy costs so keep that up!)
-Now as for drinks they usually were watered down and it took forever to get buzzed (which was really needed sometimes) but by the main pool if you get Alfredo who works at the bar his portions are amazing and you don’t even have to ask him for more shots or drinks he was the ONLY want who paid enough attention to ask people.
-In regards to buffet servers Freddy is a great host and server he is always jolly and always breaks his back for even normal guests who aren’t platinum.
-Wifi was great as well the guy who did it for us (I don’t remember his name) it costs money but he allowed me to have two devices hooked up to the Internet for only 70 bucks (when you normally pay that price for one device). It works the best in the lobby but you can get it in your room as well MAKE SURE you check BEFORE if you have a good wifi signal in your room or that price is not worth it at all.
-The area is well secured and it is a short 30 minute taxi ride away from the airport which cost me 95 bucks because it was private and it costs 40 to get back to the airport but it is in such a safe place and I didn’t feel threatened at all.
-It is very green and it looks amazing I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of greenery they had and the Coaties are so CUTE!
-My biggest take away is always ask and it doesn’t hurt because some of the staff will bend over backwards for you. I also enjoyed that most of them said Hi whenever I walked by and did it with a smile.

Negatives

-The first thing that pissed me off was the smoking paradise this hotel was; I swear it was even worse compared to Paris. Now, I do not care if people smoke but it peeved me that there were clear signs posted in certain areas that you aren’t allowed smoking here and people did it anyways. The main areas of concern was the main bar and courtyard in the front where the bands play along with the main pool … there are kids running around in certain parts and people still find it appreciate to smoke in the pool or by the bar. The smell is gross and there should be more done about telling people to smoke in the designated areas (which should be created) or make one pool just for them there are so many side pools where they can breathe in their own filth and not pollute non-smokers air.
-The front desk was probably my worst experience (which is a shame because they’re usually the first people you encounter at the resort). They needed me to print out a hotel voucher when I CLEARLY have shown them my passport and they have it on a computer screen and print out what my name is and all my personal information. It should take 5 minutes max to check me in and the process took 30 minutes + because they made it so much harder on all parties. They’re probably the section of the hotel that needs the most improvements not to mention they were rude.
-Now the entertainment for the DAY was amazing but those four wonderful guys can only do so much … the nightlife for a young 20 something year old is miserable at this hotel (if you aren’t drunk which takes a while without Alfredo and those watered down drinks) then it is awful. The bands don’t appeal to me at all I went with my cousins, aunt, and parents and those songs appealed more to them than me. The shows are good especially the Horror Show it is great but they need to rotate their schedules more I found myself doing or seeing the same activities over and over again.
-The beach (near the bridges and the bar) smells awful because the hotel is on a marshland, which makes the water in the ocean look meh but if you walk further out between resorts it is pretty.
-The pool water is a bit cold and dirty sometimes so it isn’t appealing especially when there is no sun I found myself freezing half the time.
-The buffet servers are awful sometimes it is impossible to get their attention and get basic things like water or coffee (they seem a bit understaffed and their pace isn’t great). The food is cold most of the time so that should be changed. It isn’t a good place to eat so I would recommend reserving in the restaurants that need it (they need a days advance) so book it all up dinner wise for your entire stay. The Japanese Miso house and Steakhouse were the best in my opinion but they have Italian and other themes.
-The beds are a bit on the firm side which wasn't great for me (I like it a bit softer) but my main problem was that there is more need for cleaning and bringing in new sheets. The humidity gets to the pillows and they smelled awful along with the sheets. There was also a bit of an ant problem running around so that was annoying. Also, as much as Carmen was a great maid I don't know if it was her but the first time I went into the room after checking in I found something that was just downright nasty. I know people do the nasty in the hotel beds but there was a condom wrapper on the floor which I found nasty and I had to touch it and dispose of it (DO MORE LAUNDRY)
-The floors and ground in this hotel can be so dangerous I almost broke my neck slipping and sliding after rain storms because the staff aren't quick enough to clear them due to the resorts size and the amount of staff so be careful (especially in the suite locations because sometimes puddles form but there are no warning signs).

Other than that it was a decent stay but I know next time I am in Cancun I would probably try another resort (the only reason I would come back is for some of the staff because they made my experience) if they were all bad then I would have had an awful time. But there is much more to be done at this hotel in terms of improvements.

Room Tip: If you hate walking I recommend requesting a room with a trolley stop or by it to get you to and fro...
2 Thank Contradiict
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at Grand Riviera Princess on TripAdvisor and with our future guests.

Your observations are very important for us, because thanks to your comments we can know about your experience and improve our service, all your notes, positives and negatives have been send to the departments involved in order to take the proper measures and provide the service you deserve.

We regret if we did not meet your expectations with our service at Front Desk, we assure you this is not a common situation and in no way represents the commitment and the standards of our company.

We truly hope to have the opportunity to host you again, change your first impression and exceed your expectations, will be an honor to host you again at Grand Riviera Princess

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 5 days four night. Even though it rained for three days, my husband and I made our own fun. We had a couples massage, went on an excursion to the pyrimid (had a fantasic time) The food was good and the a le carte's were excellent. Our room was perfect. What changed our minds to ever go back there was on our last day.

This is the short story. (please forgive my spelling)

We woke up to a knock at the door at 8am. My husband answered the door, but no one was there. He found a note under the door. Addressed to my husband, that there will be a charge, due to "you guys breaking a pilon". My husband called and was told that there was a video of him, walking with some guys breaking the hotel pilon. We got dressed and went to the conceige and she told us again that there is a video, of him breaking hotel property. We asked to see this video and were instructed to come back in an hour. We went and got the representative from BD tours and asked him to assist us with the translation, as the conceige was adamite that the damage was done by my husband. All three of us went back in an hour and we were told that the damage took place as my husband and guys were walking up from the beach at 530. That there is video and the security guard followed him back to our room complex. We told her this is not true, that my husband did not break anything and that he and I were at the hotel pool bar from 3-5.45, which we had met another couple and can produce them to verify this.

Were then instructed to go to the security guard office and speak to them, we did so. The very first thing that is said to us, is that there is no video. We then asked for the security guard that report this incident to come and speak to us. We were told he does not speak English. The security office then produced the room swipe card entrance report to show that at 5.45 some one entered our room. That is the proof he was willing to show us. I spoke up and told him, that my husband was not with any guys, that he was with me at all times. And repeated that we met another couple at the pool bar. That how they are handling this, is unprofessional. We advised them that they should approach the individual at the time of the incident and not the next day. The security office, finally said no charge. No apology, no other excuses, just said no charge.

We spend the whole morning of our last day of vacation sorting this out. Had two hours before our bus came to take us to the airport. I will never use a princess resort nor will I go to Mexico again. What was suppose to be relaxing and stress free time away from home. I went home stressed. And to tell you the truth, still a little peeved. I do thank you BD Tours for coming to our assistance.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Unhappycouple426
Dear Unhappycouple426,

Thank you for post your review. We appreciate your comments as it allow us to better understand your experience at the hotel.

We regret very much that you had a bad experience the last day of your vacations with us. We assure you, that the Front Desk Manager and our Security Manager have been informed of your particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible. Please, be confident that what occurred to you is not at all a common situation and in no way representative or our overall service.

we feel bad to know that despite the efforts of Edie and apologize for this incident, you go home with a bad impression of our hotel

If you decide to give us other opportunity will be a pleasure to host you again and change your perception.

Greetings from Caribbean
blackpool
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 weeks end of oct-nov. There was 3 adults and a child in our party. We stayed riviera side
Check in was welcoming everything explained ( where to eat, where to book al carte restaurants, beach pools etc). Room was gorgeous we stayed in 7042 which seems to be quite central, yes the hotel is large but it takes less than 5 mins to get from one end to the other.
Food was ok we always found something to eat the staff in both the riviera side and sunset were pleasant and helpful. Mention to Jose who was always pleasant and quick to help us.
We ate at the Mexican, the grill and the Italian which were all gorgeous.
Magdalena was our maid and was friendly and efficient cleaning our room.
We drank frequently at the bar near the Buffett restaurants and eder was an amazing bar tender he made some wonderful cocktails. ( he has moved to platinum now).
The hotel is immaculate and the staff are always busy, polite and willing to help. The evening shows in the theatre were amazing and the animation team do an excellent job.
BAD POINTS
The party pool in the middle was busy with Canadians and Americans who progressively got drunk throughout the day and never left the pool. ( this resembled an 18-30's theme)
We saw on many occasions people extremely drunk before lunch and even in one of the Buffett restaurants there was 2 men who were in no fit state to be there and were still being fed wine. This was lunch time.
This did dishearten me it did feel like a young adult party hotel. This was the only bad points about the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank loulouBlackpool
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to offer the best service to our guests.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Just returned from a 4 night 5 day stay at the GRP. We booked here as we were meeting other family/friends here from the east coast, otherwise I would have chosen a slightly better resort. I upgraded to Platinum after reading many reviews and I am glad I did. Tip: if you want the platinum benefits but don't care about the beach pay a little more and stay at the Laguna suites, that is closer to the main lobby and restaurants.

Booked through cheap Caribbean, and paid for transportation, but took longer, due to to other parties on our van, we were dropped off at the wrong side, not a big deal as we got checked in ok. Long walk to room and got lost as it was starting to get dark when we arrived. Ordered room service immediately but took over an hour when they promised 30 minutes. Canceled it and trekked to the front of the hotel again to eat at the buffet. However ordered room service several more times w/o problems. Plus it is included in platinum. Try to book restaurants as the food is better than the buffet. Hibachi at Miso was great, steak house was good, and seafood place was decent, other meal was at the Gala dinner for platinum, which was nice. When you check in stop by the platinum lounge as they pre-book a few restaurants for you and provide you with a welcome package.

Service was mediocre at the front desk, however we had no problem getting our fridge restocked but we also left $5 hanging from it when we needed something. Angel at the pool was great especially accommodating our party of like 20+. Drinks were decent and you can always ask for more liqueur in each drink, however even being platinum I thought they were stingy with the higher quality booze that is included. If you are looking for the good stuff visit the lobby bars or the platinum lounge. Buffet food was ok, but remember you are in Mexico food tastes different. For breakfast mostly stuck to the omelet/egg station, and lunch stuck to the pasta station. However there are many options.

Beach was ok, as we had a roped off section, many peeps complained about the vendors, but just walk to the left past the platinum section and there are places to sit without vendors. Did a couples massage for $80 total, which was decent for an hour.

Pools seemed a bit dirty, but it was also breezy and I did not see to many people get out to use the bathroom. Be prepared to walk a lot especially if you book platinum. I did not mind but I know others did.

We did the Xplor zip lining adventure which was a blast and I would highly recommend it, swimming in the caves was amazing. If you book online a week in advance you can save $10, and it was only 25 minutes or so from the resort.

All in all decent for the price but I would have paid more to stay at a nicer resort closer to cancun. FYI none of the rooms have a beach view. I live in Arizona with plenty of 5 star resorts that have amazing pools and food, would have like to been able to see the beach a little bit more. Stayed in Cabo last year and my husband and I both agreed Cabo was better, as far a weather, food, drinks and ocean views.

Room Tip: Pay the few extra bucks for platinum, as you will get better drinks, restaurants, room service and i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
All your comments to improve our resort are welcome and of course we are going to put them in practice.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the future to show you our outstanding service.

Greetings from Caribbean
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#85 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
#43 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!