“Beautiful, good food, but huge and far”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Food- food was great. The tapas restaurant and teppanyaki were amazing! People from our party said the oriental was awful so we avoided it. We also ate at the Mexican one which, surprisingly, wasn't amazing. The Buffett was good though. As a vegetarian, I was still able to find great selection. The sports bar is 24 hours which is nice. They had a Great variety of drinks which is not always the case at an all-inclusive.

Rooms- rooms were very nice. Pillows were not comfortable though and the throw pillows smelled a Bit weird. Loved the bathroom. The safe was free which was nice.

Grounds- gorgeous! Everything is beautiful and picturesque. However, it is huge. It was a long walk to the beach from our room which was right next to the lobby, about 10-15 minutes, longer for people who are older or have mobility issues. The beach was pretty but crowded. The water was so warm, Which I liked. There was one area that had a horrible smell of sulphur though. Areas are also very rocky. It stays shallow for a very long time. Snorkelling is possible in some areas but you have to go out really far just to find areas deep enough.

Weddings- the wedding location is beautiful, lots of passerby though but that's to be expected on a beach wedding. The reception was also beach side and a lot of fun. We all went to the nightclub afterwards, had a blast!

Location- it's far from Cancun. If I was to return, I wouldn't stay this far out. It was at least an hour back to the city so we ended up on the resort basically the whole week with just one outing. I prefer to have some fun in the local area on vacation, not just in the resort.

All in all, I was very pleased with the resort. I wouldn't return only because I'd rather be in or closer to Cancun but that is the only reason.

Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Je554star
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for write a review of your latest stay at Grand Riviera Princess and for all your comments.
I can see that you got a great experience with the service of our staff and that make us very happy because our goal is that our guests always return home satisfied.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel we were really taking back by the beautiful decor and the stunning gardens! Plus the heat was a bonus! We finally got to our room 3031 walked in and it smelt of damp! The air con was leaking all over the floor n beds! We go moved the following day into platinum from then on the holiday was amazing! The staff are so friendly n you don't have to lift a finger! One thing we regret not doing and that's to book into ALL the other restaurants and trying them! The only one we tried was the steak house! Very nice too! The buffet Resturant food was lovely but by the time we got to the second week it was getting boring! We love hot spicy food n there wasn't any! That's why we wanted to go to Mexico! Anyway such a beautiful place it's soooo clean n tidy its untrue! As for the kids (15 n 12) they were happy playing in the pool n reading but really there wasn't that much else for them to do! The entertainment around the middle pool was great to watch n the music was lovely to listen to! The beach is beautiful but wasn't very impressed by the sea! It was lovey n warm but as you walked out the water looked a horrible browny colour! Almost like sewage! We wish we got on a boat n went into deeper water but the days just flew by. Everyone must do the dolphins!!!! This was the highlight of our whole holiday! Bit pricey for the DVD but well worth bringing it home to show everyone! I must also say that our reps Sam and Jenna were so helpful and always there if you needed them! We will be back 1 day but I will only go platinum from now on! :0)

Room Tip: Go platinum! It's lovely! X
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Cozza1970

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Hotel.
We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your experience at Grand Riviera Princess.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have an unforgettable experience to share with their family and friends.
On behalf of all our staff, we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you back for your 3th time to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The resort itself is beautiful, location is good and the ocean water is beautiful & clear but everything else was sub-par. The staff was AWFUL!! They were VERY unhelpful, slow & at sometime downright rude. The beds were rocks & I never saw this "pillow bar" they speak of. Toilet was broken, never fixed. Your only option for breakfast & lunch is the same buffet as every other day and it will be the same if you don't make reservations at the different restaurants before you arrive.Those meals were good for the most part. Ants covered our porch/room. We'd call the desk for different things that would never arrive. You'll only find bottle shelf alcohol and bring your own cup because the tiny. The nighttime show were pretty good, one dancing/acobat act was amazing. We had a great time on our trip but it was IN SPITE of this resort. I'd suggest only booking this as a last resort. (No pun intended) P.S. The 'special dinner' is P.P.S. this is the same resort as Riviera Sunset

Room Tip: Beach people stay in platinum rooms because it's a HUGE resort w/ a long walk. If you are more o...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you about the time you invest to share your comments about your last stay with us at Grand Riviera Princess, for us the principal goal is the satisfaction of the guest that choose us to enjoy your vacations in the Riviera Maya.

Regarding the “ Pillow Menu” I would like to explain that is only for our platinum guests and they can be request it with our concierge.

About the food, I regret that our wide gastronomic offer has failed to comply your expectations.
I assure you all your comments have been passed to the manager of each area to take action on the matter.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We are third time in this place in last 3 years. It's obvious that quality of the service goes down. A lot of little things together makes choice of vacation for next year not in favor of this place.
Food: never seen those "spacers" here huge, enormous plates with mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard, while sausage/ salad selection is gone. There are used to be selection of 3 ice creams with huge variety of nuts - all gone, one choice of ice cream only. Platinum used to have great selection of little sandwiches or cookies. Now at sandwiches time there are few quickly cut veggies, at cookie time selection is very very poor.
Beach: never been very good here, but now its ugly. The filtration from river goes into the ocean, as a result nasty line of dark brown water 200 feet wide.
Entertainment: used have daily change of live music - gone.
Staff: only thing which didn't go down.
Final word: place used to be awesome for decent money, now its one of hundreds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alex064774

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choose Grand Riviera Princess for your first trip to know Mexico. We are very much regret that we could not meet all of your expectations, our property and staff work every day to make our guests’ stay a special and a memorable one, and we are sorry that it was not the case this time.

We have especially noted your comments about the food, allow me tell you that I will share your comments with our executive chef to check our quality standards to continue providing the best dishes.
We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Just landed and passed customs as I'm writing this review. We were a group of two couples looking for a fun vacay in Mexico. This was my fourth trip to Mexico. We booked this trip 3 weeks before leaving, so we booked what we could. We were between this resort and Sandos Riviera, but we stayed at Sandos before, and wanted to try something new, eh, not the best idea.

Value: okay for the money. I've stayed at nicer resorts and spent less money, but also booked like 5-6 weeks before, so I guess the deals were already gone.

Rooms: We had the Junior Deluxe Suite (with the jacuzzi). We requested a non smoking room, but we were given a smoking room. We don't smoke, we attributed the less than cleanliness of the room to the issue of it being a smoking room. We didn't ask to change because we hate complaining. The other couple with us had a free upgrade (they emailed the resort ahead of tlme and told them it was their anniversary). They were upgraded to the yucatan suites. It's basically a jr deluxe suite with a little bit of more details. You get the benefits of platinum (more restaurant selections, your own concierge etc) however they weren't even told this at check-in. I told them this because I read reviews on it. You also get free wifi which doesn't really work, except only in front of the bathroom, which was pretty useless. I don't think I would have paid for that - free upgrade for them was nice tho. Their room was cleaner than mine.

Food: I actually really loved the food. There were really good breakfast smoothies, and rice and beans of different kinds every day. Chorizo, Chicken Mole, Guacamole, etc. loved everything! La Vequiera is a must (get the skirt steak NOT the T-bone) La fondue was also good, it's just a cheese fondue. La Hacienda (Mexican) was not good. Portions too big, service to slow. Churros tasted stale.

Beach: I've been to Playa Del Carmen before, and the beach was amazing. However the water in front of Princess was brown, and seaweedy. Not sure if its because of the frequent rain or what. But it was comparable to the jersey shore. Wahhh. Peddlers on the shore line also really annoying. Completely different than Sandos. (If you're between the two, go to Sandos Playacar! )

Service: Hard working and friendly Mexicans. We got great service and we gave great tips. I asked for papaya juice and they made me fresh papaya juice, like they put it in the blender so good! And the remembered us from day to day.

Spa: booked a couples massage book within the first 24 hours and u get 50 percent off. Great deal. U get to use the facilities - including jacuzzis and steam rooms and etc. All great services, that u get only if u book a massage and only the day u scheduled the massage. Note that at Sandos u get to use the facilities whenever u want - u don't have to book a massage to use them.

Gym: decent equipment - free weights some machines. It's mostly bikes, 2 working treadmills. Just okay.

Location: closer to excursions than cancun. 45 mind from airport.

Nightlife: okay. Disco was okay. It's about people u are with - so we def had a fun time.

The grounds were beautiful, but extremely slippery when wet. I saw alot of people fall. Huge mega resort. Lots of walking. Prolly a good thing since there is alot of eating!!

Overall a really good vacation. Just not my favorite resort. It was a great time with great friends.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank stefnani

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.

Allow me tell you that we are working so hard about your comments to improve our service every day and our customers return home fully satisfied.

On behalf of all our staff we give the most sincere thank you for choosing our hotel for a memorable experience.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel two weeks all inclusive in August 2013.
The hotel grounds are lovely, there is always staff working and cleaning.
I read some negative reviews but can honestly say I loved it with no problems, the buffet restaurants were nice with a good variety. We never had any problems getting the A LA carte restaurants booked, we went to them all and the food was lovely.
The drink is fab, it's all branded alcohol and there is a good selection of cocktails.
The staff work very hard and can't do enough for you, I found them all to be helpful and polite.
Would defo return if the price was right :-)

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Leane_1986
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for choose our resort for your holidays! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.
It is our constant goal keeping you impressed on every visit and makes it even better than last time.
We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Riviera Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Went on our honeymoon to this place in Aug 2013. This place is about 45 mins from the airport and was a nice resort. Had a great time with my new wife:

PROS:
- The food at the buffets was good.
- The drinks! they make any drink you want and use name brand alcohol.
- Lots of beach chairs by the pools and lots of pool space.
- Free pool-side huts for shade and lounging.
- Friendly staff (except for the guy who checked us in).

CONS:
- the beach! While the beach was nice, there were vendor booths set up in front of all of the beach chairs so there was no view of the ocean.
- Internet is very expensive.
- A la carte restaurants fill up very fast and always have long booking lines.
- water sports (snorkeling off the beach) was not included.
- Activities (volleyball, horseshoes, bocce ball) were only available during small time windows (could not sign-out games).
- floors/stairs of buildings and outdoor walkways are VERY slippery when wet.

OTHER:
- you can pick up free wifi in front of the platinum lounge if you need to send a quick email or something.
- Our fridge didn't work and they couldn't get it working after a couple of different attempts however they did always call me the next morning to check to make sure things were okay.
- Big resort with no transportation (unless you're Platinum). 10 min walk from beach to restaurants. may not be good for people who don't enjoy walking.
- no clocks anywhere including the rooms. Bring a watch if you need to be somewhere.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are excellent if it rains. That way you can leave your towel in your room while you sw...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 776jaym
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.

About the shuttle I would like to clarify that is not only for platinum guests, is for everybody.
Regarding your comments about the opportunities to improve, without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice and I can assure that when you come back, we will surprise you.