“Excellent property”

GreenLeadersSilver level
“Excellent property”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This property was excellent
This property is very large takes about 15 minutes to walk from one end to other
We stayed in Junior deluxe room was had a Jacuzzi tub/ bath tub
Reservations have to be made if you want to eat up scale restaurant they fill up fast
Steak house was good
Japanese was not that good
The only one draw back is that the restaurants are do not have enough waiters to people staying there

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Baggdta27
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel.

Your wonderful words are the best compliments for us. Please rest assured that we will extend your compliments to the entire staff.

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Grand Riviera Princess and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Grand Riviera Princess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,911)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We loved EVERYTHING about this resort! It was great! Planning a trip back next year. I wish that we would have stayed in a room where we could access all restaurants and pools. There were only two I believe, but I will definitely upgrade next year. We had the time of our lives! There are activities for adults and children and adult only areas.

Room Tip: I would choose a room above Junior Suite to make sure you have access to all restaurants, bars, and...
1 Thank acwecw
Dear Guest,

Thank you for invert your time in this review. Your words are greatly appreciated as we are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you.

We hope that you will return again soon so we can extend our usual warm welcome.

Best regards,
Orleans
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We just got back from 1 week at this resort. Our first impression was "this place is way too huge!" We tend to like smaller resorts so took a gamble cause the price was so good. We upgraded to the deluxe junior suite. Beautiful large room, and very clean. The resort itself is beautifully landscaped and very clean which was great. Even the common washrooms were spotless. There are a total of 1400+ rooms with the resorts combined and i've never been on vacation where there were so many people. The pool areas was actually crowded and difficult to find a chair if you didn't get there early in the morning. What saved our holiday was the "Chill out" beach club. For about $13/day you get the peace and quiet on the beach, secluded from the crowds and your own waiter. Comfy chairs and cabana. We LOVED this and it was worth every penny. Tipped the waiter first thing in the day and got amazing service.

The FOOD: we enjoyed breakfast and lunch in the buffet, there is something for everyone.Coffee was delicious. We tried just about every a la carte restaurant (book as soon as you get there) and were disapointed with them all except the Japanese and Italian were very good. Otherwise it was just ok. My biggest disapointment of all was the wine. I have never drank such terrible wine in my life. I asked what it was and it was some kind of spanish wine..... but comes in cases. I have travelled to many resorts and its usually a spanish wine for house wine and it doesn't compare to this. One night we decided to purchase a bottle of red for about $17 and it was equally bad. I am not picky with wine and usually happy with $10 bottles at the liquor store but this was just not drinkable. If you are a desert lover, i hope you like mousse, cause seems all deserts are made with mouse. Ice cream is very good and they have a different featured flavor every day.

Beach: Very nice beach but make sure you bring your water shoes! lots of rocks but water is clear and you can see where to walk. You can go very far and still be at hip depth. There are lots of people selling things on the beach, you can just say "no thanks" and they won't bother you. Overall its very crowded unless you go to the adult area or chill out.

Overall very friendly resort, clean and beautiful. I probably should have upgraded to platinum or the villa.

Room Tip: We were in 6000 building closer to the beach and close to one of the pool buffets which was very con...
1 Thank taninottawa
Obed C, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the minor inconveniences.

We have noticed your comment about the food and I can assure you that we will pass your rewiew to our Executive Chef to improve our service.

We take note about your comment on the house wine, so i personally will talk with the manager of this area to take action on the matter.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Resort in the near future to show you again our outstanding service.

West Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Princess in early July, 2013 with my husband and 3 year old, stayed in room 5102. Overall, great experience.

Check in was a breeze for us - it took just a few minutes and there wasn't a line, but I did walk past the lobby a few times to see a line. I guess it just depends on when you get there.

The resort is HUGE! Lots of walking, but we enjoyed that and there is always the option to take the shuttle if you were feeling lazy or if it was raining. Beautiful manicured landscaping, lots of walking paths, fun to see the iguanas walking around and once we even saw a small snake.

Food was pretty good. We mainly went to the a la carte restaurants and enjoyed them, even though some by the pool were complaining about the food. The only a la carte that wasn't great was the sushi, but maybe I am spoiled by good sushi at home. In the Riviera Buffet my favorite waiter was Gerameel. He was very friendly and always attentive to our needs.

Definitely worth upgrading to the platinum - we were able to make reservations easily and I heard that others had problems. I enjoyed the platinum lounge and the platinum pool too. Our room was huge and we got excellent service. We were very close to the beach/pools. I imagine that if you are staying at the front of the hotel, the walk to the beach/pools would get old.

My husband saw on a review that the maids made towel-animals, but we never got one. Finally, on the last day he left a note with our tip asking for one for our child. We returned to two very elaborate towel-sculptures. So I guess if there is something you want, you just have to ask, even if it is towel-origami.

Lots of pool options - you could go to the party pool for music & entertainment or stick to the quieter ones, most with swim up bars. I would be cautious about where your room is and make sure you aren't by the party pool. If you want to nap in your room during the day, I imagine it is quite noisy.

The beach is a bit crowded but I guess that is what you get for a mega-resort. We always got a lounge chair and enjoyed the lunches on the beach and the platinum drink service.

Entertainment: it was nice that they had bands in the evenings. It gave you something to do after dinner before going back to your room. My child liked watching the "kid's disco," and we stayed for parts of a few of the "shows." They were fun, but nothing that I couldn't have lived without.

Kids club: I didn't use the kids club, but it looked fun. On multiple occasions, I saw the kids club staff playing with kids by the pool, on the beach, etc. They seemed to be having fun.

Things I would change:
I wish this resort had a pool with a view of the ocean. At times in the pool you didn't really realize you were at the beach.
I wish you could swim in the pools past 8:00, but this didn't really bother me since my child was usually ready for bed around then. I would have wanted to go for an after dinner swim had I not had my child.
Sometimes walking back from dinner in the evenings, the cups around the pools were left out and looked messy but they were always gone by morning.
The "towel card" is kind of a hassle, but not a huge deal. I wish they cleared the loungers that just had a towel since it seems like people "save" their loungers for the day.
The shuttle to Playa should run more often and not require a reservation a day in advance. They shouldn't charge you if you want to come back early (not that it was much).
I wish they gave you an entertainment schedule for the week at check in. We made our dinner reservations and twice missed the "fire show" that is supposed to be great!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Platinum - you will be close to the beach, but it doesn't ensure a beach view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Julie G
Dear Guest,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience with us and with other Trip Advisor readers.
I appreciate the time you took to write about us, your feedback is very important to improve the opportunity areas we might have.
One of our top priorities is that you and all our guests have a memorable experience to share with their family and friends.
Without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.
We are very happy to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2013

A little late on my review but we traveled to Mexico end of January this year and stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess and it was totally an amazing experience.
we had our daughter who was 1 1/2 at the time of and the resort was very child friendly.
the service we got was amazing and the resort is very very clean i must say.
everything at the resort was awesome..going from cleanliness to staff to the beach to daily night entertainment shows and lastly the tasty Food.

you will definitely love this place and just a friendly tip if your planning to go to this resort, be ready to walk because the resort is HUGE...beautiful but huge.

Room Tip: If your a couple with small children, request for a room not too far from the lobby and the pool are...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Za1ny
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for having chosen Grand Riviera Princess for your latest vacation, and for writing such a kind review!

We are happy to know that you enjoyed the beach and the activities, and of course the service provided by our hard-working and wonderful staff.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Mexico grand riviera princess today. We chose Mexico as a honeymoon destination as we wanted to travel somewhere we had not been. We stayed 14 nights and in all honesty it was everything we wanted and more! Pictures do not do it justice. The place is huge grounds are lovely and well maintained always see people working day & night. All staff were extremely helpful and polite. There is a lot of walking but on a lovely hot day who cares enjoy it! They are so many pools so there is something to suit everyone we had few chill out days and other days around the party pool. Plenty of activities and the entertainment staff were fantastic shows were superb too. Food was brilliant so much choice even if you don't book the al a carte resturants, but they are worth it. Don't listen to the bad reviews obviously some people just like to moan and would find something to complain about no matter where they were. It's perfect for all ages we had a fantastic two weeks and would definitely return. Fantastic :-) oh worth a trip to spa too we had few trips there fantastic

Room Tip: Upgrade if possible before arrival as hotel gets full in summer months
3 Thank MrsJohnson050713
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for providing your nice review. I was pleased to read that you really had a nice stay at Grand Riviera Princess.
I am glad that our hotel, services and the attention from our staff, met your overall expectations.

We will be delighted to welcome you back for your 1st wedding anniversary.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in June this year and had a great time. The staff are wonderful and will help you if they can. This hotel should be proud of their staff in the buffet restaurants, they do a great job (especially the Riviera buffet )The grounds on the whole are well kept and tended to by numerous gardeners.
The food is as well as can be expected for an all inclusive hotel, and we never went hungry as always something to try. The problem with this hotel is that the menu is the same weekly and not changed every 2 weeks as a lot of hotels are doing now. We didn't try the a la carte restaurants (as we don`t like to eat at specified times when we are on holidays) so cannot say anything about them. The pools could do with a good painting and clean-up around them
Now the downside....Firstly which really drives me mad is the policy of "NO reserving sun loungers either on the beach or at the poolside". Why have this policy if they don`t police it ??? EVERY day there would be towels on the beds that were put there the night before. GRRRR. All the management had to do was have a worker collect any towels left out at maybe 2am. If the towels belong to the hotel they are within their right to keep them and the perpetrators be made to pay the levy to get another towel card. If the towels belong to the guests, wel;l they could reclaim them at the lost property (reception) and given a warning about reserving loungers. That will stop the buggers from doing it again. hahahaha
The 2nd thing is the no smoking in certain areas policy. We were sitting in a no smoking area one night and a couple sat down and started to smoke. The waitress was quick to tell them that it was a no smoking area (the signs on the tables stated that if, and a clue that there was no ashtray on the table) and they duly moved to another table. Within-in 2 minutes of them moving another group of Americans sat on the tables and 2 of them were smoking cigars. Did the waitress tell them to move ???? no way, she served them and did not once mention about the no smoking area. Could that be because they gave her a few tips and she didn't want to lose money ???? You could see people smoking in most of the no smoking areas. If the rule states "No Smoking" it should be a rule for ALL, not if and when it pleases.
Would we go back there ???? It`s a long flight.....maybe a few too many Americans (men and women) that like to hear their own voice above everyone else (majority of Americans were great though)... It`s still open to debate.
Would we recommend this hotel to others ...YES.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gareth f
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and for having taken your time to share them with the TripAdvisor Travelers.

Our staff members are so glad to know that their efforts have been recognized, thank you for highlighting the high service that you received during your stay.

We have noticed your comments about our policies and can assure you that we take them very seriously, without hesitation we will put your suggestions in practice.

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next visit even more comfortable. Our entire team stands at your service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#89 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!