Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
$227
$191
$587
  • Breakfast included
Royal Hideaway Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
$331
$217
Barcelo.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
$423
$240
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya(Playa del Secreto)(Great Value!)
$401
$289
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Grand Velas Riviera Maya(Playa del Carmen)
$1,434
$753
Bookit.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
$438
$472
$973
$450
9,333 results
All reviewsa la carte restaurantssports barfondueplatinum suitemama miaplatinum areale fleurplatinum conciergechill out barla vaqueriaplatinum poolthe grilllas olaswater shoesprivate pooldays in advanceseafood
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I, like many other people, checked this website daily before leaving for the trip. I knew what to expect and it was very helpful. I only thought it necessary to contribute after our visit. My husband and I went on our honeymoon to the resort May 26th through the 31st. We stayed in the Platinum suites and are so glad we did!! It's the way to go if you can afford the extra cost. We lucked out and got a beautiful ocean view. We lounged by the platinum pool mostly and the lounge had everything you needed just a few steps away. Everything about the hotel is beautiful, as many others have stated. They do their best to make the resort feel luxurious. The grounds are nice and will only continue to improve with time. The people were very nice as well. The floor is very slippery when it rains, I think I slipped about a dozen times...lucky for me my husband helped me!! Be very careful!!! The ONLY complaint we had about the whole trip was the food. It seemed like we were always hungry. I know the reviews are very mixed on this point and I went in with a very positive attitude. I don't usually care much about food and didn't think it could actually affect the trip but it did...just a little. The breakfast buffet was great, no complaints really there. We never made it to the lunch buffet because we were usually too hungry by 12:30 so we just ordered room service (which was good! expect about 45 minutes wait...more if it's raining). The dinner buffet was not so great. The variety was different and the food was a little unusual. Not what I would expect of a buffet. If you have been on a cruise I would say that the buffets are actually better on a cruise than at this resort. We made 4 reservations for the a la carte's. We actually enjoyed the mexican only problem was the only time they had was 10:00pm. We went to the grill the next day and the biggest problem was that they didn't have a good selection. I tend to eat more simple foods and there weren't many options. If you like to be adventurous with your meals than I'm sure this would be no problem. The Italian (also at 10pm) was just ok. The lasagna was cold and tasted a little like chef boyardee. By the last night we were over it and just ordered room service. We were scheduled to go to the japanese grill which I hear is nice. Anyways, I want to be sure and say the presentation of the food and waiting staff and service is excellent! Unfortunately, both my husband and I were dissatisfied with the food.
We had a great trip overall and if you have any questions you can ask. It was beautiful and memorable!!

5  Thank kesheb4
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess over Memorial Day. We arrived early in the day, so check in was a breeze. Our room was ready by 1pm, so we were able to check-in early. We tried to upgrade to Platinum, but were told they were booked.

What I liked about the resort:
-Beautiful resort, we did not mind the large size and enjoyed walking the grounds (we are training for a 20-mile walk in NYC next weekend, so it kept us in shape!)
- Our room was nice, clean and cool and was located next to a pool (we were next to the platinum area, so it was nice and quiet).
-the wait staff seemed friendly and helpful. They tried their best to please the guests, but I can see why others may feel frustrated with limited English. Luckily, my husband speaks Spanish (just enough to get by), so the staff continually

expressed appreciation for him speaking in Spanish.
- The bartender in the lobby was friendly and efficient. Even though he was always busy, he attended to the guests as quick as possible (they do have to put up with a constant flow of drunk guests, so you have to give them credit! The last morning he remembered that I just needed hot water for tea! great memory.
-The beach was nice and plenty of beach chairs, towels, etc. The water was nice and blue.
The restaraunts were nice- the food was well prepared at the Mexican and French (warning VERY small portions), but the Fondue was just O.K. (too much work for me).
-The rooms were made up daily and towels stocked daily. My husband put the tip on the bed, which would prompt the maid to change the sheets. Putting a tip in the fridge insured it would be stocked when need.
-- What I was excited about was No Bugs in my room. The mosquitoes were very limited and no bug bites the whole time. I wore bug spray the first few days, but did not see a need after that.

What needs improvement:

-The buffet was average and I agree with the selection being limited. When they ran out of toppings for the omelet bar, that was it- they did not bring any more toppings even though there was another hour left. Food did not always look fresh and was just warm.
-The restaurants were always empty, even though everything was always booked (maybe 10 tables with people at them). We ate at the Mexican at 10:00 at night, the Fondue at 9:20, and the Le Fleur at 7:20 (the only early reservation we were able to get). The service was excellent though and the staff really tried to be professional.
-The airconditioner in our room made VERY LOUD banging sounds all night long, waking us up throughout the night. One guest actually opened the vent and turned off the blower to stop the banging sound. Then they turned the ceiling fan on to circulate the air at night. We just lived through it, as we had not tools to open the vent.
-The fountain outside of my room was not turned on very often, and there for was a potential mosquito hazard.

-The staff was not always well informed of local sites. My husband lost his passport and we needed to get to Merida to get an emergency passport. We were given the wrong time for the bus to Merida, wrong driving distance (they said 3 hours- it was almost 5), and wrong fees for the bus (they said $10, but it was $28 each way). We wasted $25 the first morning taking a taxi to the bus station in Playa del Carmen, to find out the bus left at 6:15 am (not 7am), so we had to go the next day. We ended up renting a car and then paid $70 in tolls! The really rip off the tourists. So it took an entire day (4 1/2 hours each way) and over $300 for all expenses by the end of the day. It was a very long day and of course, have could have been avoided if my husband would not have lost his passport!

Overall, even with all of the drama surrounding the lost passport. we had a good time. Staff tried to be helpful as possible (just not always accurate). I think everyone that works there tries there best, but they are understaffed, so they are stretched so thin. Making sure to tip the staff often ensures prompt service (they basically work for tips, so please remember this if they do a good job- tip them at least a few dollars daily.

The weather was perfect and the staff was friendly. The Cozumel Highlights trip was nice, although due to the rough waters, we could not snorkel in a good area, so it was so-so. Driving the jeeps around the island was fun for my husband, lunch was just O.K., but that is where we suspect we ate/drank something contaminated ( we continue to have GI issues even now that we are home). Do not drink the water off of the resort- this includes ice cubes (this may be the contamination site (-either the ice or the food, we will never really know , but we are still paying for it 4 days later.

(NOTE- do not lose your passport- you will be flagged by Immigration when you return to the U.S. (even with an emergency passport) and you may miss your connecting flight! The wait for immigration was 4 hours (since we were U.S. citizens they did move us through as promised in time for our flight. We made it with 2 minutes to spare- very stressful. We finally got our bag 2 days later, but Thank you to American Airlines for helping us with this crazy day!!

Word to the wise: Investigate the location of the consolate in any country you are planning to visit. hopefully you wil not need it, but it is nice to have in case.

9  Thank be4thyme
Reviewed May 30, 2008

I spent 10 nights at the GRP. I don't recommend this hotel and I would never go back. Customer service is null especially at the front desk, the rest of the staff was friendly. Food is not edible even at the a la carte restaurants. The japanese and seafood you have to pay extra, i managed not to through the concierge, I did not try the japanese but the seafood was really disgusting.
The resort is beautiful, huge but the walk is lovely, I did not mind it. The buffets were better than the a la carte but after a few days you get sick of the same foods. drinks were ok. The rooms were never cleaned, the beds were made but i don t think sheets were changed and they always had black spots. Towels were sometimes spotted with god knows what, it looked like washed spots of blood.
I have read almost all the reviews and no one mentioned this......DO NOT USE THE PHONE ............I placed two calls from the room with my credit card for some reason I was having a problem with my cell phone, I came home last night and this morning I was o the phone with american express and to my surprise i find out that I was charged on the 28 for two international calls for 15.90 each and the 29 th for 39.90each. Mnd you I did not stay on he phone for more than 3 minutes and I left my room at 9 on the 29th after I finished packing, got dressed and went to breakfast, I did not even look ath the phone.....This is plain robery... am waiting for those charges to go through, snce they are still pending and i am going to dispute them and I am not paying those thiefs a penny...........lease DO NOT USE THE PHONE.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Payton71
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I just got back today from a four night, five day stay and I miss it!! The Laguna Villa Suite is worth the little bit extra. I had a great time but I read reviews so I knew what to expect. My only complaint would have to be the food. The breakfast was good but other than that I wasn't impressed. You also have to get cutsomized to their drinks. I like Michelob Ultra and Bud Light but learned to like Corona real fast because that's the only choice. Don't expect jager or patron either. Their mixed drinks are good though. We went with a small group so we enjoyed eachother's company. The included spa was awesome. Make sure you book your dinner reservations when you get there!! The concierege is right next to check-in so just get it over with. Don't go to the "steakhouse". Steak wasn't even on the menu. The japanese was pretty good. We were going to try the fondu but decided to go into Playa for mexican so we wouldn't be disappointed again. I also recommend the Xel Ha excursion. It's all day and it includes your drinks and food so it's worth the money. Everyone complained about the rocks at the beach but they didn't bother me too bad. When you're in paradise and looking at beautiful water compared to Galveston, you can look past a few rocks. Oh yeah, the "DVD library" is a joke. It consists of like ten movies that play in spanish and english. There are a few channels in english like the E channel, Fox News, and some others that will switch back in forth from spanish to english but I didn't go there to watch T.V. so no big deal. Overall I had a good time. Just don't let the little things bother you and you'll have a blast!!

• Stayed: May 2008
3  Thank HoustonSrk
Reviewed May 29, 2008

I went to the Princess with my boyfriend, this was our first vacation together; we are 19. Overall, I would say that our stay was a pleasant one. We booked through a travel agent, the flight was quick, and the check in was sort of non-existant for us because in the tour bus on the way to the hotel they had people fill out a short form for the hotel and bracelets and keys for rooms were given out; when we got to the hotel around 10am the guy told us that all our rooms were ready which was a good surprise. we just carried our own luggage and found our room okay. not so hard, although the map was a little confusing. the hotel grounds are beautiful; we liked walking around the huge resort ^ ^. We got a room on the third floor, spacious and nice. Our shower didn't leak. the jacuzzi didn't look so clean so we never used it. although i did notice the safe was a bit suspicious (sticker thing coming off at one of the edges) My boyfriend and i always made sure we never left anything so valuable in there, we carried it with us if we could, and so we had nothing stolen. Rooms were made everyday around 3pm. we had cute towel arrangements. our view wasnt so great though. i would recommend requesting a room that is facing the centre of the hotel. Our agent had called us before the trip and advised us of the construction and asked us if we wanted to move/go to another hotel/or get a refund. we just stuck with it, and the construction didnt bother us so much either. Unless we were in our rooms in the afternoon which we weren't, the sound didn't get to us. the beach is really pretty, i dont think you really need water shoes. The pools are really great too.
We had no problem with towels, even if we were getting them late, like at 5pm. No problem with getting beach chairs by the beach or by the pool. we liked the bars, the bartenders always work so hard everyday. yes you have to wait, but it's not like you don't wait for one if you go to a club here, so it didnt bother me. The food at the buffet was really yummy, but definitely not something i expected to find at a 5 star. The a la cartes werent so great either, because we found that a lot of the food were salty. we ate a la carte dinners every night, because i thought they would be spectacular food, but they werent. 2 restaurants had the same soup on the menu...the worst would be at the seafood restaurant and the italian. i had lasagne and it looked and tasted like the frozen ones you can get at grocery stores. miso was good, but cant really call it japanese because i've experienced such good japanese in vancouver i guess. Oh yeah. Reservation for the restaurants went smoothly as well, i would say it took me 5 minutes. we went to playa del carmen 2 times and cancun once. the shuttles to playa fill up quickly, so make sure you get vouchers in advance. the bus is really comfy though, and cooler with air conditinoing than most taxis. we played tennis (i didnt see anyone play tennis during the week we were there lol) you have to go to the concierge and the deposit is
$20 which you get back after you return the raquets and the balls. ccheck out was a breeze as well, took 1 minute. because we had to check out at 12pm, they have a storage for our luggage and also the shower facility. at nighttime, there are daily shows and other little stuff like a tiny band playing wonderful music by the bar downstairs or the night market, random fire shows and stuff like that. Overall, it was a great time down there except for the people that annoyed me with their rudeness. I would recommend this hotel, but honestly i wouldn't go back, just because i dont like to stay at the same place twice.

7  Thank kikibear