“So EXCITED to be going back in less then a week.”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #82 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Last year me and my wife were married and had our honeymoon at this resort. It was the greatest time of our lives. Once a month we would say how much we missed it. Luckily we are going back for our one year anniversary and were bringing my best friend and his wife. We are so excited to be going back. Cannot wait for friday. It's like Christmas. Hopefully we see some of the staff ( that we still remember by name). The staff is that great that we remember many names from a yer ago. The place is beautiful. Food is very good. I never had a problem w anything being stolen. Make sure you use the safe in your room. If you do go some excursions you must do is (coco bongo, tulum extreme ,xel ha). Once again so excited and hopefully Manuel and Raul are still serving in our swim up bar.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Brad K
There are newer reviews for Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Other than a beautiful stretch of beach and nice pools, this hotel offers a decidedly sub-standard experience for its guests. A few highlights:

- Horrible food. Let me say it again: horrible. Most of the buffet dishes are entirely inedible. Dorm food is preferable.

- The whole enterprise is run like a military operation. And by that I don't mean efficient (which it's not). Guest comfort and convenience is not a priority. Want towels? You had better remember to bring your "towel card" or they won't give you one. Your wrist band won't do for this. Want two towels? Tough luck. Lose your towel card? Pay them $20. (When I asked why they do this, they said that previously guests took 2 or 3 towels... oh the horror!). Want sunblock? Unlike most resorts, there is none by the pool and none at the beach. Forget to bring some? The standard tube costs $27 DOLLARS (not pesos, DOLLARS) at the store.

- You pay $40 for WiFi, but getting a signal is almost accidental, even in restaurants, the lobby, etc. You constantly get dropped, and every time that happens, you are forced to log in again with a long user name and a password. It won't remember your device, and the log-in screen takes several minutes to load and activate.

- Have a special request? Any minor special request? They don't care. They have rules that are made for their convenience, not yours.

- I asked for a late checkout since my flight left at 6. They finally budged and let me exit at 1pm instead of noon. But lo and behold, they deactivated my room key at noon anyway, so I had to trudge back and forth between the lobby to get a working key and then bring back my bags.

Stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find one in a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Travel039448
Gina G, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. We value all guest feedback as an opportunity to continue improving our services and products for our guests. We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to the food and the service.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future to show you how we improve all the observations that you did.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Sure it's a beautiful, grand resort on a very nice piece of real estate with gorgeous water, but why not earn some stars from making your guests more comfortable on their holiday. Had I known I needed to book a Platinum suite to even begin to enjoy some good service I would have considered it; having stayed at a few smaller resorts with a full star lower rating (and no more cost) I think I'll just go back there next time.

I wouldn't say there was anything overly wrong about this resort but there were not many things that were overly impressive either. I'll outline a few Pros and Cons of our experience as Junior Suite guests.

:: PROS ::

- GROUNDS: The resort is beautiful! They definitely earned their star rating by laying down a lot of marble/granite tiling and keeping up with all the garden maintenance.

- SECURITY: Felt very safe. Heard of some issues arising but generally there was a good presence of staff to deal with any issues. Safe in room was helpful.

- SPACE: Enough lounge chairs to go around so that you're not always searching - both at the beach and by the pools (except at high times at the beach it go a little choosy)

- Our ROOM was nice and was kept very clean everyday, we only had a Junior suite so didn't bother to hang out in there except to sleep. Would recommend an upgrade to get a better location (see below comments)

- The BEACH was beautiful, very nice sand, excellent sandy shelf into the water (only up to shoulder height in the water for a few hundred meters). Not much for snorkelling (I heard if you walk North up the beach 10-20 minutes theres great snorkelling in a kind of bay that beats the guided tour we paid to be on). Enough space to spread out and stake in for the day. Bar and BBQ grill on the beach were quite busy but good.

- ACTIVITIES: We used the Best Day Travel guys which are in the resort from about 8 until 3pm to book a few tours and really enjoyed their service. They were trying to sell you on anything, just honestly wanted to know what you wanted out of your excursions. They're not really anything to do with the resort (I think they are contracted through WestJet) but I'd hit them up rather than the Concierge or anyone else (prices are the same through them than direct to the tour companies except they will guarantee refunds if the tour company doesn't follow through).

- The DIVING shop on the beach (same as the Dive stand in the middle of the resort) were good guys to go with for scuba and snorkelling (a tad expensive but they knew what they were doing at least and were surprisingly organized).

:: CONS ::

- My biggest pet peeve was the BOTTLED WATER. They tell you not to drink the tap water and offer you 2-3 bottles in your room. We went through those in the first day and half and they didn't restock the mini-bar until the day before we left (5 days later) despite repeated requests. When asking staff or full service bars for water you're only options are a plastic cup or buying a bottle from the gift shop (ya, buying a bottle of water from an All Inclusive resort!!!) Such a simple thing would have gone a long way to make our stay enjoyable.

- A la carte restaurants were busy to book, not convenient to book (have to walk up to lobby 24 in advance and book even if there is space - annoying when you're trying to join your friends reservations that day). Only went to a couple restaurants and wished I'd just gone to the buffet (kind of preprepared feeling and not overly tasty)

- I never found any SERVICE overly helpful or exceptional or above the bar. Servers were polite as they needed to be but nothing more. This goes for food and drinks. Too much staff focus spent on cleaning and trimming the resort grounds where they needed more bar staff. I may have been spoiled from other resorts but everywhere else I've been there's been staff that offers to get you a refill while you're lounging around (at least a few times on the trip) - not once did anyone ever come up to us either on the beach or by the pool and clear a drink, or make conversation, or offer a refill on their way by.

- For us the resort was far too large which made it feel impersonal. Prepare to walk (however the walk is beautiful so the walking is not much of a downside). We have spent a few weeks at some smaller resorts that were a full star rating LESS but felt a great deal more comfortable and the service more personal.

- DRINKS were average at best, nothing fancy. House wine was terrible (both white and red). Corona on tap everywhere which was nice, Modello in mini-bar (however that only got stocked once for us as mentioned). Mixed drinks in bar all tasted pretty artificial but I think that may be true of most resorts. Coffee was like nothing I've ever tasted... and hope I don't ever have to taste again. I think if you stayed in the Platinum or Adult sections you would feel the upgrade - I noticed their bars were a lot nicer and the service a lot better.

- BEACH wouldn't have felt crowded except the resort authorized vendors' huts that were right in your view. I have zero idea why they would put them there instead of closer to the back of the beach. If you're going for a memorable experience at your resort, people should be able to see the beauty of the Caribbean ocean and exceptional sand. I do remember it, but its clouded with memories of reassuring vendors that I don't need a massage or to buy something.

- No included WIFI. I thought it was 2013, but maybe not. You can purchase WiFi, but a day pass will cost you $20. Think you're better off in one of their two internet cafes? Try $20/hour! Don't get me wrong, it was nice to unplug from the world but I would have preferred if it was by choice.

- Towel service was a drag. Tip: Take your towel cards out of your welcome package before you walk to the ONLY towel pickup/dropoff point in the resort. Towels are $20 if you fail to turn in your towel cards upon checkout. (Room keys are $100)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank canosoup

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.
We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations.
About the issue with the bottled water, allow me tell you that what occurred is not at all a common situation and in no way represent our overall service. Every day we restock the minibar with differents kinds of drinks like sodas, bottled water and beers.
I personally will talk with the manager of this area to take action on the matter.

Regarding our staff we know that they play a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours help us to improve every day.

On the other hand, as you may know in Mexico the beach it is public, therefore we cannot prohibit the access to the people in town, we regret if this situation affected your stay in our Hotel.

Despite your initial impressions, I do hope we can correct our shortcomings and invite your friends or family in the future for a seamless vacation from arrival to departure.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We traveled to this resort as part of a larger group in May. I had spent too much time prior to our trip reading reviews on this website and I was a little apprehensive. The travel horror stories that you find on this site have the potential to really bias your perception of a trip! My biggest concerns were getting sick from the food/water and protecting my belongings. Now that we are home, I have to say that some of the information I came across was very helpful, and some of it was complete rubbish.

We ate our first meal of the trip at the buffet and decided then and there that making reservations at one of the restaurants (website horror story) would be a waste of our time. The selection at the buffets was expansive and delicious, but then again, we are NOT picky eaters and are willing to try anything. My favorites were the grilled cactus, the fresh fruits, the beet juice at breakfast and the numerous ways they served jicama! We are also not picky about our drinks. We had a few cocktails at several locations and enjoyed them, and also drank the water at the buffets with no problems. So, no repercussions from the food or water (website horror story).

We made sure to lock our valuables in the safe before leaving the room and always took both room keys with us (great pointers from other reviews). We carried a small bag to the beach/pools and never had a problem leaving it unattended while enjoying the water. Granted, we never left anything in plain site, buried phones/cash in the bottom of the bag and used a small clip to secure the zippers, and placed towels over the bag... just common sense security measures.

The room was nice and clean. Yes, there is a musty smell. The beautiful water fountain right outside our room and the gorgeous tropical landscaping make it impossible to avoid this smell. I'll take a little musty in exchange for the sights that Mexico's climate affords! No, my sheets were not changed everyday, but that is clearly explained in the room literature as an environmental conservation effort. Okay by me!

Yes, the floors are marble and the walkways are polished concrete. They have to be that way in order to stay clean and beautiful in a tropical climate. Yes, they are slippery when wet. Just be aware and be cautious. I spent quite a bit of time barefoot to avoid issues and enjoyed it!

The beach is amazing! I came to appreciate the clear delineated line established by the vendor huts. The beach is CROWDED (duh, isn't that why people come to this place) and to have a line drawn that says "Nothing but YOU past this point" allows people the chance to enjoy a more pristine beach.

Again, we were part of a larger group that worked in concert with a travel agency, and so our transport arrangements from arrival/check-in through check out were well organized (website horror story). If we do this again as just a family, we will use an agent. I think many headaches were avoided because of this!

Our trip was short (3 1/2 days) and we were on the go to get the most out of it, so our contact with the staff was limited, but the waitstaff was friendly and everyone we passed on the grounds offered a cheerful "Hola!".

There is a running joke in our family that we have experienced extreme good fortune in all our trips, and this one was continued the streak. But we also approach every trip with only one priority... QUALITY TIME with each other. We weren't there for the food, the booze, the service. We were there to spend time with each other in a place other than our everyday lives.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jennifer P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We feel lucky to have had the opportunity to serve you and your group.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service has always been our mission.
I am glad to hear that you got your own opinion about our Resort and this is very good.

We want you to know that we truly enjoy sharing our passion for our destination with visitors and want you to walk out the door feeling refreshed.”

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future and wish you the very best.”

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just returned from a week's vacation and we stayed in the Yucatan Platinum on the Riviera side of the hotel. Check in was smooth but found the fellow was a little impatient at times and not overly warm and engaging. Maybe he was having a bad day who knows and there were a lot of us to check in as we went down as a group.
One of our concierge's in the Yucatan Platinum lounge by the front of the hotel lobby should be in a different role and not one dealing with the guests. Because of him and the check in experience, I rate this resort a 4 and not a 5. The Yucatan conceirge was not accomodating towards my spouse and her requests, when she brought me along the next visit, he was marginally better. Angel in the Yucatan lounge was much better to deal with. I have to say that our requests with the conceirge centred around dinner and those arrangements. There was nothing difficult or demanding around the requests being made and my spouse is the most easy going and forgiving of people and their approaches. For this to be a call out I think is significant and should warrant further training or discussion by the hotel management.

Grounds of the resort were beautiful and immaculate. Walk from our room was about 10 minutes to the beach and not an issue for us at all ever. Not one of us in the large group that we were ever considered hopping on the shuttle as it was an enjoyable walk. Free 24 hour room service came in handy at times and delivered in 30 minutes with tremendous service.
Called front desk for extra towels one day and they were delivered within 30 mins with a call back from them making sure we received them.

We sat in the roped off platinum section of the beach and was impressed with Yara and her " butler" service. We tipped her often but she was also great with others who never tipped her as well.

The water definately had some rocky sections. If you want to avoid the rocks the best spot is directly in front of vendor huts which was in our experience rock free.

I have a hard time believing some of the negative reviews I read before arriving. This resort has something for all ages -- party pool if you're into that, quiet pools if that's what suits you. The entire resort is super clean with staff constantly working and focused on maintainence.
There was nothing wrong with the food at this resort at all -- the buffet will be sure to please everyone. Of course in a buffet you can't expect to like each of the dishes and selection however I can't believe anyone would ever go hungry.

The a la carte restaurants were good -- steak, le fleur, sushi, oriental and japanese were what we tried all were good with fine service. As we had a large group, the conceirge's abilities to assist were a bit limited. In dealing with the managers of the restaurants directly, we were well accomodated to have us be seated at the same time and eat at earlier times than that which the conceirge was prioviding. The managers of these restaurants, I found went above and beyond to accomodate and please. Of course, within their abilities to do so.

Our group had young adults ranging from 18-25 and they had a great time here. We are in our 50's and enjoyed our stay and would definately come back. The platinum lounges close to the beach were nice because you could stop in and pick up bottled water,drinks,coffee and free interenet was available along with copies of USA Today and New York Times. Fresh snacks, full bar were available throughout the day.

I must say the party pool bar and main beach bar were under staffed and at times had lengthy wait times on many occassions. Also, at the party pool the servers were not the most engaging and friendliest. Our kids commented that this would have rounded out their experience a bit more. It seemed too that if you were not constantly tipping they treated you a bit differently at the party pool. I guess if you are there for a few hours, the constant tipping can get very expensive. Regardless, the regular service was fine they just are not the most cheerful folks for a party bar. Having said this, I guess when you are drinking and having a great time your view on things could be a little biased when it comes to these guys having to deal with partiers all the time.

The resort felt safe. If anyone ever raised their voice or something erupted it was quickly handled by security...they showed up quietly, marshalled people along politely and gently. Just their presence calmed things down. If any vendors on the beach were troublesome they were also somehow there again.

One thing about the vendors on the beach, when you are there for seven days, the daily requests to have a massage, buy string beads and goods became a bit annoying. A firm no was always accepted however, that you had to daily and sometimes several times a day say no became a bit much over the course of the week.

Overall a most amazing trip and experience by the people who work at the resort and understand that they are there to serve for their livlihood. We all of us in the group, agreed that we will return their at some point in the future.

We took a quick visit to the spa to enjoy the free wet service anemitites available to us. Having visited many spa's my wife gave this a lower rating. The steam room was not steamy, the pool a bit too warm. The hot tub was really great, especially the fountains for massage and the lounge chairs that were full of massage jests from head to toe...never experienced that before!

The check out was pretty smooth. A bit confusing, some of us were given bus boarding tickets while others were not causing some to run back to the desk at time of boarding. Some consistency here would be best for the hotel guests. Overall a most amazing time and thank you Princess hotel, Playa del Carmen for that!!!

Room Tip: Yucatan Platinum Riviera for us was the way to go and we'd do that again in a heartbeat!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you and your group. It is also a pleasure to hear that the entire group enjoyed their vacations among us so much.

We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more. We will share your comments with Angel; he will be delighted to read that his work was so appreciated.

On the other hand I have been noticed you mention the security and let me tell you that one of our priorities is to protect the guest’s physical integrity and their valuables.

We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just got back on May 1st. Weather of course was wonderful for 6 days.The grounds are impeccable. The staff is very friendly. The beach is very crowded..made worse by the vendor huts which take away from the water sight lines. If you want shade on the limited beach area you need to get up early to "reserve" your chairs with towels..which is supposedly a no-no. Everyone does it. You shouldn't have to pay for WiFi either...this is 2013!!! Also the ala carte restaurants that you have to make reservations for..there always were more open tables than occupied tables?? Seems like they need more wait staff so more ppl can make reservations at these restaurants. My gripes are minor and nothing that should keep you away from this beautiful and expansive resort! Enjoy..you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: When checking in try haggling to get a Deluxe room.They are very close to the beach.We almost upgrad...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jacoccia
Gina G, Gerente at Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the time you took to write about us.
We are very happy to hear you liked the hotel and our service.
Be sure that we will be working in all the details that you mentioned to improve our service.

We look forward to welcome you again in the not too distant future to ensure you another amazing getaway.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

this property is huge, I mean HUGE! They provide golf cart rides from the front of the resort via a wide lane that runs along the outside rim of the resort. This is also how they move around luggage and services as well. This ring road would also be great for runners and walkers to maintain their exercise regimens.

*The grounds are gorgeous and impeccably maintained. There are pool/ lounging areas for whatever you are in the mood - conscientious adults, young adults drinking too much and being very loud with loud music, family areas, private pool / lounge areas if you are in the proper buyin tier, and at the beach there are ropes delineating service areas, again based on buy in tier. On the beach there are cabanas where you can get massage, there are also cabanas of vendors, unfortunately blocking quite a bit of the view, and only in the lower tier areas, the Platinum beach had no vendors.

*Food is good, but unexceptional. house wine is bad, reconcile yourself to buying a bottle for your meals.

*Take your own plastic cups/glasses,the flimsy little plastic ones on the beach are a handling, and environmental nightmare.

*we had the lowest tier room, it was lovely and quite comfortable, with the exception of the pillow -Take your own pillow.

*be sure to pay attention to the resort website when deciding on accommodation.

*As of April 2013 internet use will cost you 20USD per 24 hours!

* there are lots of seating spaces to visit with friends, share a drink, or read a book

*the spa is gorgeous and worth a visit

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Debi K

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. Our guest's opinion is very valuable for us, this is the only method to improve our services and know what our guest's preferences.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed our Resort, the room, the spa and the service provided for our staff, thank you for noticed.

We look forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Kind Regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#5 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Allegro Playacar
Allegro Playacar
#84 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!