Just returned from a week's vacation and we stayed in the Yucatan Platinum on the Riviera side of the hotel. Check in was smooth but found the fellow was a little impatient at times and not overly warm and engaging. Maybe he was having a bad day who knows and there were a lot of us to check in as we went down as a group.
One of our concierge's in the Yucatan Platinum lounge by the front of the hotel lobby should be in a different role and not one dealing with the guests. Because of him and the check in experience, I rate this resort a 4 and not a 5. The Yucatan conceirge was not accomodating towards my spouse and her requests, when she brought me along the next visit, he was marginally better. Angel in the Yucatan lounge was much better to deal with. I have to say that our requests with the conceirge centred around dinner and those arrangements. There was nothing difficult or demanding around the requests being made and my spouse is the most easy going and forgiving of people and their approaches. For this to be a call out I think is significant and should warrant further training or discussion by the hotel management.
Grounds of the resort were beautiful and immaculate. Walk from our room was about 10 minutes to the beach and not an issue for us at all ever. Not one of us in the large group that we were ever considered hopping on the shuttle as it was an enjoyable walk. Free 24 hour room service came in handy at times and delivered in 30 minutes with tremendous service.
Called front desk for extra towels one day and they were delivered within 30 mins with a call back from them making sure we received them.
We sat in the roped off platinum section of the beach and was impressed with Yara and her " butler" service. We tipped her often but she was also great with others who never tipped her as well.
The water definately had some rocky sections. If you want to avoid the rocks the best spot is directly in front of vendor huts which was in our experience rock free.
I have a hard time believing some of the negative reviews I read before arriving. This resort has something for all ages -- party pool if you're into that, quiet pools if that's what suits you. The entire resort is super clean with staff constantly working and focused on maintainence.
There was nothing wrong with the food at this resort at all -- the buffet will be sure to please everyone. Of course in a buffet you can't expect to like each of the dishes and selection however I can't believe anyone would ever go hungry.
The a la carte restaurants were good -- steak, le fleur, sushi, oriental and japanese were what we tried all were good with fine service. As we had a large group, the conceirge's abilities to assist were a bit limited. In dealing with the managers of the restaurants directly, we were well accomodated to have us be seated at the same time and eat at earlier times than that which the conceirge was prioviding. The managers of these restaurants, I found went above and beyond to accomodate and please. Of course, within their abilities to do so.
Our group had young adults ranging from 18-25 and they had a great time here. We are in our 50's and enjoyed our stay and would definately come back. The platinum lounges close to the beach were nice because you could stop in and pick up bottled water,drinks,coffee and free interenet was available along with copies of USA Today and New York Times. Fresh snacks, full bar were available throughout the day.
I must say the party pool bar and main beach bar were under staffed and at times had lengthy wait times on many occassions. Also, at the party pool the servers were not the most engaging and friendliest. Our kids commented that this would have rounded out their experience a bit more. It seemed too that if you were not constantly tipping they treated you a bit differently at the party pool. I guess if you are there for a few hours, the constant tipping can get very expensive. Regardless, the regular service was fine they just are not the most cheerful folks for a party bar. Having said this, I guess when you are drinking and having a great time your view on things could be a little biased when it comes to these guys having to deal with partiers all the time.
The resort felt safe. If anyone ever raised their voice or something erupted it was quickly handled by security...they showed up quietly, marshalled people along politely and gently. Just their presence calmed things down. If any vendors on the beach were troublesome they were also somehow there again.
One thing about the vendors on the beach, when you are there for seven days, the daily requests to have a massage, buy string beads and goods became a bit annoying. A firm no was always accepted however, that you had to daily and sometimes several times a day say no became a bit much over the course of the week.
Overall a most amazing trip and experience by the people who work at the resort and understand that they are there to serve for their livlihood. We all of us in the group, agreed that we will return their at some point in the future.
We took a quick visit to the spa to enjoy the free wet service anemitites available to us. Having visited many spa's my wife gave this a lower rating. The steam room was not steamy, the pool a bit too warm. The hot tub was really great, especially the fountains for massage and the lounge chairs that were full of massage jests from head to toe...never experienced that before!
The check out was pretty smooth. A bit confusing, some of us were given bus boarding tickets while others were not causing some to run back to the desk at time of boarding. Some consistency here would be best for the hotel guests. Overall a most amazing time and thank you Princess hotel, Playa del Carmen for that!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll. Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon). A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico