I selected this resort because of the great comments. The few derogatory comments here focused on stuff that isn't important to me. I selected Playa because the area is awesome. You are missing out if you don't get to the city on the free shuttle or head out to one of the adventure parks or Mayan ruins. This was my 3rd all inclusive and I plan to return to the Princess. The resort was 99% full and it didn't feel crowded at all.
The staff is friendly. The people who live in Playa are very happy and happy to have tourists visit and spend money. I never felt unsafe albeit I didn't venture too far from HWY 307.
The grounds are very well maintained. Maintenance crews work round the clock to polish the marble floors. The Princess is a large resort but it's beautiful so enjoy the walk. The areas that need attention are few and far between.
The rooms are magnificent. My only complaint was noise. We were near the lobby and waves of loud drunkards flowed out of the disco at night into the common areas near the lobby. We were moved after a couple nights. If you want quiet at night, get a room away from the lobby.
The restaurants are either al a carte or buffet. I usually dislike food at buffets, but there was a good selection and the food was mostly fresh and hot. Reservations are required at the al a cartes and the dress code requires long pants. Reservations are a hassle because they start taking them at 2pm - prime pool time. I think if you pay for platinum you are given priority. Large groups who aren't platinum may have a difficult time getting the same time because non-platinum people get left overs. I only ate at 3 of the al a cartes. The Grill is by far the best. The Italian was pretty good. I wasn't impressed with the Teppanyaki show or food.
The beach had an odd set up with stands out front and it was a little rocky in places. Regardless, there was plenty of room to find a good place.
Taxis in the area are expensive. If you plan to venture out or have 3 or 4 people you may be better off getting a rental car. A GPS with Mexico maps is a must if you aren't familiar with the area.
The entertainment varied at night. There was a variety of bands and singers who were pretty good. Keep expectations low and you will be happy. There was some entertainment at one of the pools but we generally hung out at a different pool. Drink service at the pool was scarce.
Xplor and Xcaret are awesome! Shopping in Playa was an interesting and fun day. We also went to Tulum. Tulum is worth the time but we got a tour that required stops at other resorts. The tour guide rambled the whole way to Tulum without any eye contact and there was a crying child who drove us all insane. Pay for a taxi if you don't want or need a tour guide.
Overall this resort is a solid 4 or 4.5 star. People who are dissatisfied with this place must be used to 5 star resorts where the staff is geared for pampering guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll. Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon). A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico