“Decent 4 Star, 5 Star Wannabe”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #81 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed from April 20 - 27/08 and were celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary on the 26th. We booked through Signature Vacations (Holiday Market Travel). Unfortunately we had to travel on Skyservice with this package, really and truly the worst airline out there.

I see other people have complained about Air Canada Vacations not rating this hotel properly, but then neither did Signature Vacations. I believe they get the rating from the hotel themselves.

This is a decent hotel, but definitely not the promised 5 stars. As it only opened in December, there are still many glitches to work out, mostly in the service area. I attended the briefing by the Signature tour rep, and his first question was if anyone had read the reviews on Trip Advisor. Some people said they had and he responded by saying "Then what are you doing here?"

He has done this job for six years and worked at pretty much every hotel on the Riviera. He told us that this hotel had already changed management twice since opening. Theft has been a major problem at the hotel. While we were there, on about our fourth day, three men came to our door around five in the evening. We were just back from the beach, and they entered abruptly when my husband answered the door. I was changing to have a shower and scrambled to cover myself with a towel. They said they were from maintenance and wanted to know what was wrong with the room. We had a broken toilet seat which we had signalled to maintenance three days earlier, and my husband thought they were here to repair it. One man went through the room and appeared to check my balcony door all the while looking at all of our belongings scattered througout the room. The second man opened the closet door and looked at the safe (which was locked), and the third followed my husband into the bathroom.

They left shortly after, but we both felt very uncomfortable by the encounter and I brought it to the attention to the front desk who knew nothing of maintenance checks. They referred me to the concierge who knew nothing of it either, and then asked me to fill out a form explaining what happened. The form was actually a standard theft report. They said they would get back to me, but never did.

To back track a little, I must tell you that probably one of the worst experiences in this hotel was check-in. The staff was rude, surly and totally unaccomadating. Our only request was for a top floor room somewhere reasonably close to the beach. We also mentioned that we were celebrating an anniversary. My husband had knee surgery one month prior and didn't feel he could walk too much. However, as we retire early, we like to be on the top floor which tends to be quieter. We were told that they were only requests, and so none of them were honored. When my husband became somewhat annoyed, we were told to come back later. We had arrived at the hotel at about 11:15 a.m. He was initially going to give us a room even though it was before check-in, but then said we would have to wait about three hours. We went to lunch and then came back at three. The same room was once again offered. I said if I were going to take the same room I wouldn't have waited almost four hours. I had to wait again, and finally at 4:30 was begrudginly given a top floor room, but it was nowhere near the beach.

Although new, the resort appears unfinished. Everything is painted stark white, and it makes everything look blank. It appears as if the whole resort is covered in primer. A shame as there is so much potential to add some character. The lobby is bare, blank and lacking any personality or charm. About 20 statues that are supposed to be installed on the grounds are missing leaving blank concrete mounds in their place. The overall construction workmanship is generally poor. You can see the place was built in a hurry.

The resort is huge, and the walk from the lobby and main restaurants to the beach is about a 5 - 6 block walk. Our room was situated about 2 blocks from the lobby, and hence about 4 blocks from the beach. There was supposedly a shuttle service to take you around, but despite wasting 20 to 30 minutes on many occasions, it only showed up once. The vague photocopied plan of the resort gave very little clues as to where one was actually going most of the time, or as to what was available or where to find it.

The room was very well laid out, but the promised iron, iron boards and coffee maker were not there, nor did they ever materialize despite several requests. There is no pen or paper or any resort information in the room either. If you enjoy reading before going to sleep, this is not the place as the lightbulbs in the room are atrociously dim. Although the room was clean and well laid out, there was a constant sewer odor emitting form the bathroom floor drain at all times. Yes, the shower leaked under the door, but not much, and a towel on the floor solved that problem. It's unfortunate there was no shelf in the shower as you had to put shampoo on the floor all the time. Also the towel racks in the room were falling off the wall. The housekeeper usually came around three in the afternoon, except one day when she didn't come at all, but after calling, someone arrived within a half hour. The floors were swept daily, but never washed.

The resort grounds are beautiful, but several years will be needed before the gorgeous palm trees actually have any shade bearing leaves on them. Everything is newly planted and hence immature . Don't count on sitting under the shade of a palm tree. If you want shade, you must be up early. As a natural early riser, I was usually at the beach between 6:15 and 6:30. I was not alone. This was the time of day you could get a nice palapa. One morning I came at 6:50, and I believe I got the last one available. The beach is beautiful and generally clean, but not nearly big enough for a resort of this size. Chaise lounges are sardined in, and there is a roped off area on the beach which the lounges must stay behind. The larger sandy area is part of the public beach. The dirtiest part of the beach is the hundreds of cigarette butts that smokers leave behind. There are some pebbles and rocks in certain areas, but nothing to get alarmed about. I wore no shoes and had no trouble avoiding them.

To the left and the right of the hotel is undeveloped land, accessible by the locals. The beach areas to the left and right are therefore dirty, and considered unsafe. One lady had her camera ripped off her shoulder while walking alone, late morning just slightly the right of the hotel property. Besides there is really nothing to see either way, except another large resort being constructed farther down the beach to the left.

I tried to make restaurant reservations the first day we were there. I was pretty much told nothing was available. I pleaded that I had just arrived ( I didn't even have a room number yet), and that it was our anniversary on the 26th. I was finally able to secure a reservation for 7:20 in the French restaurant, and I was only otherwise offered the Japanese or the Mexican at 10:00 p.m. I declined as I am generally in bed by that time. The food at the French restaurant was good, and the only hot meal I had all week, but my appetizer (foie gras), which really was just regular liver pate was the size of a quarter in thickness and diameter. Good food, but ridiculous portions. I can't say for any of the other restaurants because we never ate there. One day at the beach I hear a couple beside us bragging that they had secured six reservations. He didn't say how, but I assumed he paid under the table.

So we ate buffet for all of our other meals, a hit and miss venture. Some food was quite good, some was atrocious and most was just mediocre. The common thread was that everything was cold, with the exception of eggs or omelettes in the morning that you had to line up to get. Of all the resorts I've stayed at this place had the least selection in all buffet areas, be it salad bar, hot dishes, bread etc.

Getting coffee in the main buffet was a task, as was wine with our meals. We were usually close to being finished before we could finally get service. This didn't seem to be the case at the beach buffets, but for some reason, other than breakfast, you cannot get a coffee after your meal unless you go out and line up at the bar. The main buffet seemed understaffed, and despite tipping everywhere it didn't seem to make any difference to the level of service.

There is a shuttle service into Playa del Carmen where we decided we would like to go one day, but when we went to get it were told it was all reserved for the next three days. We were never told ahead of time that this was something that needed to be reserved well in advance. We took a taxi - $13. each way.

A couple of nights there were beach BBQ's, One was reserved only for Air Transat passengers. Another was for Platinum guests. As a Signature guest who wasn't Platinum, we were kind of made to feel like chopped liver, as it didn't seem we were entitled to much.

We travel at least twice a year and have been to about a dozen all inclusive resorts in the past five years, six on the Mayan Riviera. So I can say I have a basis form comparison, and I must say that although this is not a bad resort, it is far from being a five star, and I doubt that it ever will be. It is a decent four star hotel, and with a lot of work may be a 4 1/2 star, but unlikely ever a 5. There are simply too many issues in regards to service, some which are difficult to achieve because of the sheer size of the resort. For the same money, you can do much better. I've stayed in resorts rated 41/2 that were far superior to this. Barcelo Maya Tropical, Grand Palladium Riviera, Riu Yucatan, Barccelo Maya Beach, Bahia Principe Akumal (all similar priced) and all far superior.

We always go away for our anniversary, and despite the travel agent mentioning it on our request list, and my stating it at check-in and to the concierge when I made a dinner reservation, this is the first hotel we've stayed in that never made any acknowledgement of the fact. Generally a fruit basket or a bottle of inexpensive sparkling wine is sent to our room, (an inexpensive gesture on the hotel's part, but one that goes a long way in regards to customer satisfaction).

On our last day our check-out was noon, but we were not being picked up from the hotel until 10:25 p.m. We asked if we could keep the room longer and were told abruptly that we would be charged $20.00 and hour for every extra hour we stayed in our room. We checked out at noon and stored out things with the bellboy. We were able to have a shower late in the day by the lobby, but there was no hairdryer, shampoo or any amenities other than a towel provided.

Would we stay here again? Definitely NOT. There are too many better places to go for the same money or less. I haven't attached any photos as there are many photos availble for this resort and although attractive, it was the least attractive of any we have stayed in, and therefore we took very few pictures. I know people say that if you go with the flow or don't sweat the small stuff you can have a great vacation. To a certain extent this is true, but there were too many small issues to overlook - I've only touched on a very small amount of them. This may also be easier to do if your are knowlingly staying in a 3 or 4 star hotel, but if you are told you are in a 5 star and expect 5 star service, this is not the place to be.

10  Thank caldosh

Reviewed May 2, 2008

Our group consisted of 3 couples arriving on April 17 until the 24th. We had all read the reviews and had mixed feelings of what we should expect. Although many of the reviews seem to have the same complaints and we kept in mind that everyone's expectation are different. Your still not sure. We were all booked in villas and l had not read any reviews about them
We arrived at GRP on the Sunset side at 11:30am expecting our villas not to be ready, but were given room keys right away. During our short check-in time we were promptly greeted with a a delightful fruit smoothie drink. YUMMY! Nice start.
We were given directions to our rooms. Our luggage arrived shortly after us to our rooms. The villas are absolutely beautiful. Well worth the little extra we payed for them. We had a fairly large living room area. There was a beautiful king-size bed, with a large assortment of pillows to pick from. Directly behind the marbled headboard is the double size Jacuzzi bathtub. There is also a large walk-in closet, with two separate vanity areas on either side of the double doors that lead out to a lovely outdoor garden shower. They are totally blissful after spending the day around your own private pool area, soaking up the sun and having butler services that was fast and friendly. By having the villas we had a concierge service located at the pool area. They truly took care of everything from booking as many as a la cart dinners as required, to replenishing our fully stocked fridge, to help plan a birthday party in one of the restaurants/ (my husband arranged that one without me knowing) I celebrated my birthday at the Italian restaurant. The food was amazing and they were so sweet to me when singing Happy Birthday and presenting me with my own personal cake and a bottle of tequila.
The overall staff was extremely friendly and were always willing to help when asked.
The only down side of this trip was listening to a very small amount of people complain. Do l think their complaints were warranted, l am not sure. But l do think some of them came with that attitude and it had nothing to do with the resort.
I would definitely recommend this resort to other people. Be prepared to do some walking as the resort is really big. But there is so much beauty to see along the way.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
8  Thank cherbear23
Reviewed April 28, 2008

The Grand Riviera Princess is a brand spanking new (about 5 months old) all inclusive resort near Plays Del Carmen. We booked the resort back in December and decided to go for the slight upgrade Deluxe Junior Suite/POOL. It was WELL worth the few extra bucks. We were on the first floor, with a balcony that actually had steps right down into the pool. This was GREAT !!! We walked down to the beach twice, but liked the pool so much better due to this balcony arrangement. We found the service to be terrific. This was all the way from checkin with Miguel at the front desk up until check out time. Everyone there was always smiling (with us anyway) and always had a pleasant HOLA !! or BUENAS DIAS for us. The service in the restaurants was good as well. The chambermaid did a nice job keeping the room clean and the bed made. Every afternoon found a new Towel Animal waiting to greet us when we returned after a day in the sun. YES, there were some BUGS, but this is the tropics, and you will find bugs there. A little "OFF" and some "RAID" sprayed onto the balcony floor kept the problems away.

The BREAKFAST buffets were all excellent. They had a fresh omlette sation that offered about 10 different fillings for freshly made omlettes that were great. Lots of fruits, juices, cheeses and other goodies were available for the taking as well.

We really had only 3 gripes about the week and property.

1. The food was not so great. There are several "specialty restaurants" included with the A/I package. However the quality of the food was just mediocre. The exception was the "Miso" asian restaurant.This was the best of all. better quality food plus a show at the hibatchi grill.
2. Again with the restaurants - one is told that reservations MUST be made for the specialty places. However, one must either wait on line in the AM or do as we did, ask the concierge for assistance in making the reservation. We were told that all of the specialty restaurants get totally booked very quickly, but whenever we arrived to dine, the places looked to be only 1/2 filled. Never understood why the difficulty getting reserved.
3. Again the restaurants - We were only staying for 5 nights. We were told that we could only eat "specialty" 3 of those nights with the other 2 at the buffet. Those staying for 7 nights, get 4 specialty nights. For us this was a problem because the buffet food was edible, but barely. We found very little that we wanted to try.

All in all, this was a very relaxing 5 nights/6 days. The property is great. It is very pretty there, and will be even more so when the plantings have more growing time.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
13  Thank jbk1211
Reviewed April 28, 2008

We stayed at the Riviera side of the Princess hotels from April 11 – 18. With Airtransat. I would recommend bringing some food on the plane. Our flight left around 4:30pm and we arrived at the hotel around 10pm. They supplied a light snack and by the time we arrived at the hotel and checked in we were starving. The dinner buffet closes at 10:30pm. Room was jr. suite deluxe number 8123 on the second floor looking out on the grounds, no pool view. No problems with cleaning of room or bar restock. It was done everyday. We were happy to be close to the lobby because the a la carte restaurants and buffets are located there and in the evenings we hung out at the large lobby bar playing games. The Riviera side is bordered by construction but the noise was just during the day and we used earplugs for early morning noise. Some construction dust but hardly any mosquitoes on our side. The Sunset side is bordered by mangroves and I think that is why there are more mosquitoes. Another plus to being by the lobby are the computers. The Transat office has 2 computers that are available to use. (As a side benefit, if you happen to need an extra washroom in cases of emergency, just run to the lobby washroom. It came in handy one day).

Resort: The resort is very modern looking with beautiful marble everywhere. It was easily the largest we have stayed at, some may like this but I felt a bit overwhelmed by the size and amount of people. I couldn’t wear most of the shoes I brought because of the walking, but I don’t think this is too much of a problem because this was the only exercise we got. Also, we went with another couple and because of this brought 2-way radios to contact them around the resort, which was a great convenience.

Food: The Japanese restaurant was very entertaining sitting at the cooking table, but this must be specifically reserved. We didn’t do this ahead of time but the host asked us to wait 10 minutes and if they have any “no-shows” we could get the table in their place, which is exactly what happened and well worth it. Both veal choices at the Italian restaurant were excellent and by far our favorite of all the restaurants . The lamb chops at the International were also very good but the ostrich was terrible, prepared like meatballs but tasted more like liverwurst with bad seasoning. I have had great ostrich back home many times and this was not. A bit disappointed in the Mexican, the food tasted good but was not hot, however that could be hit or miss. The buffets are like other resorts we have stayed at. Nice selection but can get a bit boring at times. Between the two main buffet restaurants is an outdoor lounge. We picked up cappuccino’s there for breakfast and brought them into the buffet instead of drinking the coffee served.

Beach: I would recommend water shoes for the few spots of rocks in the water.

Tulum & Cenotes: We rented a car one day. Found a better deal online so the resort rentals gave us extra time with the car to compensate. Tulum is about a one hour drive from the resort. It was very interesting and beautiful but recommend going early in the morning or later in the evening when the sun is not so hot. There is very little shade. Also recommend taking the trolley to the ruins, it is only 2$ but in the scorching sun we were happy to get a break.
Drove to Grand Cenotes, which is another 5 minutes away and swam in the underwater cave system. This was a highlight. They charge $8 to enter and another $10 to rent snorkel, vest and flippers. Bring snacks and water with you.

Playa Del Carmen: they have free shuttle buses that leave at 10am, 11am, noon, 1pm and 6pm. You must reserve them ahead and get a bus ticket.

Leaving: Have your flight info, eticket ready for the airport bus, they want to check that you are supposed to be on that bus and not trying to get a free ride to the airport or on the wrong one.

We had a very nice time and are sure others would too. I would not return to this resort simply because we like trying others.

14  Thank WLSToronto
Reviewed April 27, 2008

We enjoyed our stay and most negative points from the reviews are true except the theft issues (cant honestly say I felt unsafe at any time) I wanted to give a few helpful hints. -You can catch a ride to the rooms at the far end of the resort by asking the bell desk in either lobby or a security guard, they are all on radios and a bellman will meet you at the start of the walkways on the outer edge of the resort and drive you on a golf cart. - ake a stroll on the back walkway when you are on the way to the lobby or restaurants the walk is shorter and you can catch a ride - Take some time to get to know the staff helping you even if you dont speak spanis, try it goes a long way. - Tip please even one or two dollars it means so much and if you didnt bring any money smile and talk, the staff have some great stories. - If the lobby bar is too busy at night you can get a drink from the bars in the restaurants, some of the al a cartes have a lounge and the bartender is more than happy to help you make a drink. - spray a few squirts of bugspray after the shower and it helps a lot - check out a website called playa info for helpful regional tips and to meet some people from your area travelling as well. Have fun we did!!!

7  Thank sherbear2008
Reviewed April 25, 2008

First let me premise this by saying that I have always flown Air Canada Vacations and have travelled in the past few years with Air Canada Vacations to Playa Pesquero in Cuba, Occidental Grand XCaret in the Mayan Riviera, Royal Playa Del Carmen in the Mayan Riviera and also the Royal Cancun in Cancun. This year as well we travelled with Air Canada Vacations through Multitravel to Grand Riviera Princess in the Mayan Riviera from April 15th to April 22nd inclusive. My partner and I have always felt very confident in the ratings that Air Canada applies to the various vacation spots they advertise and up until this point, I feel that those ratings have always been very accurate and reliable. This was certainly not the case this year with a five star rating given to the Grand Riviera Princess. We arrived on Tuesday, April 15th and were booked in the Platinum section. Upon arriving at the hotel there was no instruction or direction that in fact, even though we were staying on the Riviera side of the resort , that we had to check in on the Sunset side of the resort. We therefore wasted over 45 minutes in line on the Riviera side only to be told once we reached reception that we had to go over to a different line at the sister resort. Once checked in, we were only given a barely legible photocopy of the map of the resort and absolutely no direction with respect to the various services offered. I understand now they have that problem rectified and that there is a platinum check in on both sides. Once we reached the platinum section, I had to ask the concierge for everything that was promised to us in the Air Canada write up, i.e., beach bag, spa coupons, tequila, etc. It seemed if you didn’t outright ask, they were not going to make this available to you. The room was well appointed, however, the workmanship was exceptionally poor with flooding showers, no toilet paper, no Kleenex, no toiletry rack in the shower. The bathtubs in the bathroom and on the balcony were unclean and the floors were unswept. We ordered room service several times and each and every time, the order that arrived was incorrect and had to be sent back. There was major construction right outside our balcony (within 15 feet) and we were never made aware that there was ongoing construction at this property. At most times throughout the day, you could hear power saws, etc., which at some points was quite noisy and annoying. The food in the buffets was always cold, probably because the dishes were kept on warming trays and not the deep dish steamers that most resorts use. The chefs who prepared the food could be seen cross contaminating raw beef and chicken consistently using the same utensils and cookware for everything. We ate at the Grill restaurant on the second day we were there and both my partner and I quickly came down with a severe case of food poisoning. In fact we were not able to leave our room for three days. I visited the resort doctor who was supposed to be on call 24/7, at 8:00 a.m. one morning where his office door posted his opening hours as 8:00 a.m. At 8:30 he still had not arrived and I called the Reception who after several attempts of paging him, finally located him. He finally came into the office and looked at his fee schedule and looked at me and quite simply said “what do you want lady, do you want me to look at you or do you simply want drugs”. I told him I had food poisoning and he wrote me a prescription and told me that I had to go into Playa Del Carmen to pick it up. I explained that I was too weak to go anywhere and he shrugged his shoulders. I contacted the concierge at the Platinum section and they kindly arranged for the prescription to be delivered to me at the resort for a fee which I gladly paid for. For the rest of the vacation, we ate only ice-cream, dry toast and drank bottled water. I would have tried to arrange an early flight home if I could have, however, I did not feel that I could travel in the condition I was in. At check out, we ordered a bell boy the day before to transport our luggage to the main lobby. We reconfirmed these arrangements . Predictably, no bell boy arrived and we ended up dragging our luggage to the main lobby of this resort in order to meet our transfer to the hotel.

Simply put, I feel that travellers should be alerted to some serious concerns around food safety in this resort and lack of service. Many travelers were wandering around asking each other for direction since that seemed to be the only way that anyone could get any answers. Certainly the staff was not properly trained and did not take any concerns seriously. I am a mature adult and not interested in vacationing at an all-inclusive with less than a five star rating. This resort clearly fell far short of that designation. Admittedly the resort itself was beautiful to look at, some staff tried exceptionally hard, the beach was definitely worthy of a five star rating, however, the service and the food did not exceed what you would expect in a three star resort, let alone meet the minimum expectations of a five star. To end up with food poisoning is simply unacceptable which led to 3 days being completely incapacitated and 5 days overall being terribly under the weather. As mentioned above, we have been to many resorts and have always had excellent experiences. My hope is that Air Canada reviews its commitment with this resort and in fact adjusts the rating to more accurately reflect the level of service that is so obviously lacking.

Pros - beach, pools, some friendly staff who tried hard, spa and
beautiful gardens.

Cons - service and food.

6  Thank prayinforsun
Reviewed April 24, 2008

We arrived home today (April 24th) after a very pleasant and enjoyable stay at the Grand Riviera Maya Princess. We had NO problems what so ever. The room was impeccable, clean sheets, towels everyday. Stocked mini bar... that we only used once. Mixed drinks and Corona's on the patio, around the pool and in the bar were more appealing than sitting in our room drinking. Food at the Buffets, morning, noon, and dinner were excellent, lots of variation. I did read quite a few reviews after we booked and before we left for Cancun, and I must say that I was a bit apprehensive but as we had already booked and paid for our vacation, I was hoping that we would not encounter the same problems that some others had. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, even giving us Spanish lessons, and making sure that we were enjoying ourselves. The beach was a bit rocky, but with water shoes, this was not a huge problem. Sitting around the pool, soaking up the sun, and yes we did burn - even with SPF 50... I can only say that we would recommend this Hotel to our friends. We will definitely book and stay at the Princess again.
Terry & Susan - Victoria, BC

20  Thank Nana44Victoria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!