Stayed here February 23 - March 2, 2013. We were BLOWN AWAY by this hotel. Its everything you could ask for in a 5 star resort. Lets be clear, this isn't like the resorts you see the celebrities go to, but for the average person, this is luxury!
Important thing to note: This hotel is the mirror image of the Grand Sunset Princess, which is aptly located directly on the same property. From what I gather, it is the same hotel, just one side is named the Riviera and the other is the Sunset. You are allowed to eat at either of the buffets and everything else is shared, including the 6 main pools. The gym, theatre, bars, restaurants and spa are all shared. The only thing that is separate are the lobbies, meaning you have to check in and check out of your respective lobby.
THE HOTEL - The grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept. There are people working 24/7 to keep the grounds and common areas clean. There are 6 main pools and others that are for the use of the platinum or lagoon villa guests, respectively.
THE ROOMS - We were in room 7245. This was one of the junior suites. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our room. It was cleaned every day with fresh towels and the mini bar was restocked every day as well. The junior suites are located in the quiet area of the hotel, the deluxe suites are by the pools so you will tend to get noise in the morning, the platinum rooms are by the beach and from what i heard are somewhat noisey. Some people have been complaining of dampness or moldy smells in the room. Our room smelled like that when we first got in but we kept the screen door open and turned on the A/C and the smell went away. You have to remember - it is humid outside!! This is normal for any hotel.
THE FOOD - there literally is something for everyone, you just need to try a bunch of different things the first day or two. Yes some of the food is nasty, but there is a lot of really yummy stuff at the buffet and every night has a different theme ie. Thurs night is Mexican Night and Friday night is Seafood Night. This does not mean that the food is strictly Mexican or Seafood but that on those nights there are a lot more of those types of foods. The a la cartes are great. We did La Hacienda and Miso. La Hacienda was alright but MISO was excellent, we did both the Oriental and Teppanyaki. DEFINITELY BOOK THE TEPPANYAKI, the stuff they do with the food is amazing and it tastes GREAT!!!
THE ENTERTAINMENT - Every night the entertainment team puts on a show in the main theatre at 930 pm. The shows are very entertaining! They have an excellent choreographer from Mexico city who has worked on some great routines, also they have a break dancing crew who comes in a few nights out of the week that are amazing. I think they won one of the American reality shows for dance crews. Also, they have bands play in the main area on most of the nights and have pre-shows around 8 pm that include dancing lessons, a fire show and a fashion show.
PARTYING - there is one pool that is the party pool, you'll see it, this is where you want to be if you are going to party, there are always plenty of people having a good time here as well as fun music playing and games such as tequila volleyball and water polo happening. The other pools are quieter if this is not what you are going for. There is also a disco/club in the hotel that is really fun at night.
EXCURSIONS - We booked an excursion with Sea Pro Divers on the beach, they have a large hut on the beach to the right of the hotel. They also set up a booth by the towel exchange on the hotel property. Depending on what type of trip you are looking for, you may want to book with them. The Best Day tours were DOUBLE THE PRICE! We booked the Sea Turtle and Cenote Snorkeling trip with Sea Pro Divers and no one else signed up so we had a tour guide to ourselves! We only had to pay $60 each and the trip started at 745 am and went until 3 pm. It was FANTASTIC! We swam with the sea turtles and got to explore the cenotes!
BEACH - The beach is beautiful! No you do NOT have to pay for your beach chair unless you want to sit in the Chill Out area. There are plenty of places to sit with nice tiki huts to sit under and excellent views of the beach. There is a bar on the beach to get drinks and they have a BBQ going during the day to get food. The BBQ is ok. The food is normally cold tho, and they only serve hamburgers, hot dogs and tortilla chips with various fixings you can put on. Some people have said you need water shoes due to the rocks. We brought water shoes and never wore them. Yes there are some rocks but not that many and you can SEE them so you can just step around them.
Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. I have no complaints at all! Great value for your money!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll.Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon).A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and HRS so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico