“Immaculate grounds, excellent food, beautiful beach and MORE...”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton
“Immaculate grounds, excellent food, beautiful beach and MORE...”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here February 23 - March 2, 2013. We were BLOWN AWAY by this hotel. Its everything you could ask for in a 5 star resort. Lets be clear, this isn't like the resorts you see the celebrities go to, but for the average person, this is luxury!

Important thing to note: This hotel is the mirror image of the Grand Sunset Princess, which is aptly located directly on the same property. From what I gather, it is the same hotel, just one side is named the Riviera and the other is the Sunset. You are allowed to eat at either of the buffets and everything else is shared, including the 6 main pools. The gym, theatre, bars, restaurants and spa are all shared. The only thing that is separate are the lobbies, meaning you have to check in and check out of your respective lobby.

THE HOTEL - The grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept. There are people working 24/7 to keep the grounds and common areas clean. There are 6 main pools and others that are for the use of the platinum or lagoon villa guests, respectively.

THE ROOMS - We were in room 7245. This was one of the junior suites. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our room. It was cleaned every day with fresh towels and the mini bar was restocked every day as well. The junior suites are located in the quiet area of the hotel, the deluxe suites are by the pools so you will tend to get noise in the morning, the platinum rooms are by the beach and from what i heard are somewhat noisey. Some people have been complaining of dampness or moldy smells in the room. Our room smelled like that when we first got in but we kept the screen door open and turned on the A/C and the smell went away. You have to remember - it is humid outside!! This is normal for any hotel.

THE FOOD - there literally is something for everyone, you just need to try a bunch of different things the first day or two. Yes some of the food is nasty, but there is a lot of really yummy stuff at the buffet and every night has a different theme ie. Thurs night is Mexican Night and Friday night is Seafood Night. This does not mean that the food is strictly Mexican or Seafood but that on those nights there are a lot more of those types of foods. The a la cartes are great. We did La Hacienda and Miso. La Hacienda was alright but MISO was excellent, we did both the Oriental and Teppanyaki. DEFINITELY BOOK THE TEPPANYAKI, the stuff they do with the food is amazing and it tastes GREAT!!!

THE ENTERTAINMENT - Every night the entertainment team puts on a show in the main theatre at 930 pm. The shows are very entertaining! They have an excellent choreographer from Mexico city who has worked on some great routines, also they have a break dancing crew who comes in a few nights out of the week that are amazing. I think they won one of the American reality shows for dance crews. Also, they have bands play in the main area on most of the nights and have pre-shows around 8 pm that include dancing lessons, a fire show and a fashion show.

PARTYING - there is one pool that is the party pool, you'll see it, this is where you want to be if you are going to party, there are always plenty of people having a good time here as well as fun music playing and games such as tequila volleyball and water polo happening. The other pools are quieter if this is not what you are going for. There is also a disco/club in the hotel that is really fun at night.

EXCURSIONS - We booked an excursion with Sea Pro Divers on the beach, they have a large hut on the beach to the right of the hotel. They also set up a booth by the towel exchange on the hotel property. Depending on what type of trip you are looking for, you may want to book with them. The Best Day tours were DOUBLE THE PRICE! We booked the Sea Turtle and Cenote Snorkeling trip with Sea Pro Divers and no one else signed up so we had a tour guide to ourselves! We only had to pay $60 each and the trip started at 745 am and went until 3 pm. It was FANTASTIC! We swam with the sea turtles and got to explore the cenotes!

BEACH - The beach is beautiful! No you do NOT have to pay for your beach chair unless you want to sit in the Chill Out area. There are plenty of places to sit with nice tiki huts to sit under and excellent views of the beach. There is a bar on the beach to get drinks and they have a BBQ going during the day to get food. The BBQ is ok. The food is normally cold tho, and they only serve hamburgers, hot dogs and tortilla chips with various fixings you can put on. Some people have said you need water shoes due to the rocks. We brought water shoes and never wore them. Yes there are some rocks but not that many and you can SEE them so you can just step around them.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel. I have no complaints at all! Great value for your money!!!

Room Tip: If you are debating between deluxe junior suite and junior suite, I would say go with the junior sui...
6 Thank T G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,851)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My family (husband, 3 yr old son and brother) just returned from our 7 night stay at the resort.
Having spent much time in the Mayan Riviera a decade ago, I was familiar with the area but had never stayed on a resort in the area so everything was new to me.

The first impression is stunning: grandiose, impressive and marble as far as the eye can see. The architecture and grounds of the resort is some of the most elaborate and artistic I have ever been to and immediately conjures up an element of style and fanciness.

Beware if you have a small child: there are water features EVERYWHERE so if you have a kid (boy) who loves to run and is fascinated by water be cautious. Also, take a good stroller because the amount of walking is very far to get from your room to the main area and to the beach too.

The pools are lovely and there are 13 so literally something for everyone's tastes. The "party" pool is at the centre and we stayed off to the side of it across the bridge, so we could still hear the music but not be troubled by all the drinking and yelling hooligans.

The food is above average for a resort and they take great pains to be artistic about their food. I suggest going to the restaurants over the buffet for dinners but it is important that you line up at 1:45pm (no later) to get the time and restaurant you want as they only open at 2 and the times get snapped up. Luckily, I was savvy and got every restaurant at every time I wanted. Mamma Mia (Italian) and the La Fondue (Swiss) were faves of ours but you will do well with any of them.

If you have booked into a Junior Suite you are considered on the lowest rung of the fancy totem pole; do not attempt to book Room service- unless you want to pay (if you were a "Platinum" member you wouldn't have to). The Junior Suite Deluxe is what we ended up in (I asked for an upgrade as it was my birthday and I was granted one!) which was a nice upgrade as it had a Jacuzzi bath which was necessary for my son. We didn't realize however that not every suite had this and for us this would have been a deal breaker as we needed a bath. Luckily we didn't have to make waves, but it would have been a disaster otherwise. Take heed when speaking to your travel agent or booking reference if this is something you need.

The room were nice and clean and overall not too musty (but really, every resort room in Mexico has that "smell").

The beach was lovely though at every turn you get bombarded with requests for Spa and massage treatments but it was a nice change from the resorts in Puerto Vallarta where you are constantly harassed with silver and mexican chochkes at every turn. The waves were a bit rough but it was still a beautiful ocean front and the shells and sand made for a great time!

For those people looking to travel with children younger than 4 it is important to note that they have strict rules about their kid's club and will not allow you to enter into the club (it is very small and not at all fancy but does have a jungle gym which is perfect for toddlers) if your child is younger than 4. They wouldn't allow me to come in with my son and only after pleading (my son had seen the slide and was getting angst-ridden) did they say ok because no one was in. They all seemed to think it was a silly rule too but knew that they had to adhere to it. Oh well. This would have also been a deal breaker for me.

One last really unfortunate piece of bad service is that they are not prone to emergency situations. My husband's Visa card was frozen because the Visa company thought there had been strange activity on it since we used it in Mexico and we needed to call their hotline (the 1-800 number doesn't work from Mexico) so that we could remedy the situation and get the card back in working order. The front desk refused my husband and said that he was not able to make a long distance phone call even though it was money related and I thought that this showed poor taste. It wasn't as if he was going to call family or anything. We were lucky we had a cell phone but in the end the stress of having to go back to the room and set everything up from there could have easily been avoided.

If you want Wifi (but are in the Junior suite section) and have a portable device (IPad, blackberry etc.) hang out at the periphery near the Platinum suites: you will most definitely pick up their signal for free and can use your email and browser to your heart's content. Otherwise, you are facing a $10/30 minute charge to use the internet cafe- highway robbery!

Overall, this is a beautiful resort- very clean (though often the parts that they should have been cleaning like dirty cups around the pool would stay there for days on end! strange!) and stunning ground. Much nicer than the 4-5 star places I have stayed at and it was a good value.

Just be careful of some of the rules (they are strict here) and you will enjoy yourselves. Have fun!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Jodie K
Philadelphia
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed here with a friend for a long weekend getaway. We enjoyed our rooms, the large expansive property and the all inclusive benefit. While this property is quite large, the restaurants are divided into smaller spaces. The food was very good. The breakfast buffets offerings differ from each of their four buffet restaurants. We were only there for a long weekend so we didn't even come close to trying all the restaurants and bars. We dined at Hacienda, The Grill, and the Italian restaurant, I can recommend each of these. We booked the standard junior suites, which were nice, but did lack the basics that I come to expect in hotel rooms such as tissue, clock, and an iron. If you upgrade to the Platinum level, these rooms are well equipped and also offer bathrobes and slippers. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Consider the Platinum Level for more in room amenities.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Phillytravler1
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We actually stayed here in October 2011 but the options wouldn't let me go back that far.
Anyway, my boyfriend and I saved up to go here on vacation and I must say, it was worth it. Booked through AirCanada vacations and was offered a departure from Ottawa (Ottawa-Montreal-Cancun) for only a little more which is nice because we didnt have to drive to Montreal or Toronto and then pay for airport parking. Plus we had the comfort of flying out of a smaller airport (shorter security and check-in etc...). The arrival at the Cancun airport was very hectic to say the least. Took us a long time to find the AirCanada reps but once we were all together we were brought to our resort on a very nice, air-conditionned van. The ride was relatively short (about half an hour...I think) and you get to see many of the other resorts on the way. First things first, the resort is HUGE. It's pretty much two resorts that share the same restaurants, beach, bars etc... Check-in was relatively fast. When we arrived at the resort, (around 2Pm if I remember correctly) our rooms were not ready yet... which was fine I guess, with the exception of having to wear our "canadian clothes" in the Mexican heat lol. We finally got our room around 4oclock and it was a great room. We upgraded to a swim-up deluxe room which offers a balcony with steps that lead right into the pool along with an AWESOME bathroom complete with a huge shower and a two person jacuzzi tub. The upgrade itself is worth it for the bathroom alone. The swim-up option itself sounds cooler than it actually is. It was nice and all but impractical. I didn't find that we used it as much as we thought we would. Just something to think about. We did get to see one of the villas though and I must say that they are TOTALLY worth it.

The grounds and impeccable. The staff takes great pride in their work and every lawn, shrub and flower is perfectly groomed. There is also a really neat greenbelt that runs through the centre of the two resorts which allows you to see a few iguanas and a few birds as well as the cutest things you will ever see: the coatis. They're kind of like a Mexican raccoon but so much cuter.

Our room was right in the middle of the resort which meant a decent walk to either the lobby (where the buffet and most of the restaurants are) or the beach...but was fine with us. We were there during their "down-time" so two of the à-la cartes were closed. We did use most of our à la carte reservations. We did the Asian, the italian, the mexican, the seafood and the swiss fondue restaurants. The food was... okay. Not terrible but not great. The buffet food was quite cold most of the time and tasted not too bad. Wasn't terrible by any means. The à-la carte restaurants were actually pretty good. We went into the resort not expecting much in regards to food but were actually kind of surprised. I personally found that the service of the staff was impeccable, though this is probably mainly attributed to the fact that it was the down time for the resort and therefore there were much less customers. I did find the waitstaff to be a little bit demanding when it came to tips, though. However, a few bucks brought you a long way. As for the drinks, they were okay. The liquors were not sub-par like at many all-inclusives which was nice but the mixes were pretty terrible lol. Everything seemed to be made with sub-par syrups that tasted like medicine. The drinks were pretty strong but once you find a drink that you really like (be sure to experiment), stick to it because it might be hard to find another one.

The beach itself is really nice...with the exception of the vendors and cabanas blocking the sun and your view of the beach. There were very little chairs available despite it being their down time. I would hate to want to find a chair in their busy season...though this is case with almost every resort. Theres a little pool and bar with lots of chairs that is really really nice and hidden behind the Riviera side of the resort. Hard to find but just look for the multi-coloured balconies. Not many people go here so its nice and quiet. It's on the outside of the resort.

One thing you must do when you're at this resort is visit Playa Del Carmen. It's very touristic, but a very fun experience. This is where you need to buy your souvenirs. You'll see a lot of the same stuff from shop to shop so you'll also be able to figure out what a reasonable price is for most of the stuff. A word to the wise, on't buy anything from the first few shops on the strip. For one, they're way overpriced because you don't know any better. Also, some of the vendors will come up to you and say something along the lines of "hey don't you remember me? I was your waiter at such and such resort? I work there part time and run this shop too." and then try and get you to overpay for some souvenir or other. Don't laugh, because it works. They know the colours of every single resorts wristband and will use it to try and form and personal connection. It's a genius strategy really. Anyway, a $15us (if I remember correctly) cab ride form the resort will take you right to Playa Del Carmen where you can easily spend the day browsing shops, and indulging in authentic Mexican food for awesome prices. There is one of those god-awful Senior Frogs at the end of the beach too for those of you whom have never experienced it lol but expect to pay a lot more for drinks and such than you would at any of the other restaurants on the strip. If you're worried about safety and such while you're there, I wouldn't worry too much. For one, it's purely a tourist destination. Most of the people you see in the area work at resorts like the one you're staying at. If you're worried about drug violence, you're in the wrong area of the country to worry too much about that. A peculiar part of Playa Del Carmen is seeing very american businesses like Starbucks and Sunglass Hut. It was kind of funny really and of course we HAD to go into Starbucks.

As for excursions, we didn't really get to do a whole lot for two reasons 1. We were restricted by money, many of the excursions are $100+us and we just couldn't afford it and 2. There just happened to be a huge hurricane warning while we were there lol (more on that to come later).
We did decide to spend $65us and book a day-long excursion to Coba, the mayan temple. The only one you can still climb I might add. We booked through our hotel and later realized it would have been cheeper and easier to rent a car and make the drive yourself. Booking through the resort made it mostly hassle free but also made for a VERY VERY long bus ride to about 10 other resorts to pick up people. Very long day. The drive itself is about an hour and a half from the resort but it was about 3 hours by the time we picked everyone else up. From my understanding, the entrance is only $5us and parking only $3us. The guide is $65us and splittable between more than one person (i.e. if you find another couple willing to split on a guide, it's only $15us each etc...) so I think it would have been a better bet going that route. Plus we would have had the car for the day so we could have maybe done more than one Mayan temple. But thats all beside the point that this excursion is a MUST SEE! Even if you arent a history buff or anything of the sort, simply taking a bike ride through the jungle and climbing the massive Mayan temple (albeit TOTALLY unsafe lol) is one of the coolest things I have EVER done in my life. Be sure to bring a camera and take plenty of pictures. And if you do decide to drive to the park, definitely get a guide. When you book through the resort, the guide is included. For about $100us you can book a day trip to Chichen Itza but the ride itself is 4 hours each way we were told.
Many other excursions are offered through the resort and we wish we would have been able to do a little more. The cenote and reef expeditions sounded particularly interesting but the day we planned on going, we couldn't because of the hurricane warning.

Now, on to the hurricane warning... While we were there, there was this huge hurricane warning and basically all of our excursions were cancelled for 3 days while we were there. I do have to say that the hotel staff was impeccable at keeping us updated and safe. At one point when it looked like the hurricane was going to be a very bad one, they had informed us that we were going to convene in one of the big conference rooms. Turns out it wasn't all that bad. (bad is relative lol) and there was just crazy amounts of rain and wind. I have to commend the staff for keeping the floors as dry as they could and cleaning up at unimaginable speeds the day after. the grounds took a hard punch but the landscape team did a fantastic job at getting it back to tip top shape. All in all, we lost about 2 days worth of vacation time because of the hurricane but funnily enough it was still a pretty neat experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SkylerTee
kansas city
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The standard I use for comparison is the Palace Hotel chain, with Le Blanc at the top. This is a nice facility but some things do not come up to the Palace level. This hotel is NOT near the Paseo in Playa Car but is isolated along the main highway. 20 minutes to Playa Car by cab First of all, this is a huge complex, so be prepared to walk even though there are trams running. It is really a two class hotel. Platinum and Laguna level are at the top. This gets you really nice rooms near the beach, your own lounge/lobby with concierge 24/7, free room service, better towels, better drinks and snacks, and reserved beach and pool areas. It does not cost much more than the other levels and I think it is worth it. The platinum rooms are very large, with an indoor and outdoor hot tub. TV’s are outdated but OK w/ HDMI. Internet is free but not very good in the rooms but fine in the private lobby. There are many other pools where the party hardy crowds hang out and drink till they drop. They offer swim up pool rooms but they did not look all that great. The activities staffs are at the larger pools and seem to be pretty good. The beaches are far better than the Playa Carmen beaches but still rocky especially as you wade out. Strongly recommend water or beach shoes. Normally flying insects are not a problem but for some reason mosquitoes got me good, but not my wife.
The grounds are really beautiful and constantly being maintained. Our room was very contemporary but showing wear and tear. To be fair, they appeared to be making repairs to woodwork to many rooms. Water is not drinkable in rooms, but plenty of bottled water. No snacks in mini-bar and fridge not always well stocked. The drinks are plentiful, small and probably a little watered down. In the platinum lounge, if you want something special, such as a Port, they will find it for you without charge. HINT: bring or buy an insulated mug for your frozen drinks, as it will stay cold a lot longer than their plastic cup.
Food is a major issue. The buffets are less than average, with bland taste, limited selection, and way too much time sitting on the steam table. Desserts are really bad. House wine is free, all else is extra. However, the 8 specialty restaurants are very good. You need reservations. Like most Mexican resorts, all the employees are micro managed and have no decision making authority. So if you show up without your little dinner reservation ticket, you will have to insist on being seated….especially since the room is never full. Your concierge can be a big help in these situations. Selections are very limited in the specialty dinning, but well done. Finally, they have another restaurant called Chill Out which is not part of the all-inclusive. This was sort of annoying but we did go there to celebrate. It is very beautiful on the beach, especially at night. The lobster dishes were very good and the crème Brule was simply outstanding….one serves two easily. Expect to pay around $120/couple w/o drinks or wine.
Did not see much of the entertainment but there was always music at night. They shut the pools down at 10 pm, which is good as it keeps the noise down. They have no time share or vacation rental programs at this hotel, which means no one is bugging you about buying into these deals…..a welcome relief which even Palace has not done.
The only major issue was at check out when their credit card communication systems went down and they could not process any card for charged incidentals. They told me I had to pay cash or I could not leave. Did not respond well to that scenario. We had plane to catch and could not wait for their systems to come up. I pointed out this was their problem not mine. When they refused to release out luggage to the taxi, I had to threaten to call the tourist police and they finally took a manual imprint of my card as payment.
In summary, this hotel is a good value for the money and is less expensive than Palace but does not live up to Palace standards, especially in the buffet food area. The checkout problem was irritating but probably a rare event. For an overworked, stress out middle age couple, this was a good place to veg out and relax. I will defer to younger visitors as whether it met their needs.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get a Platinum level room. No guarentee regarding King bed or view
5 Thank urczar
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I just got back last week and stayed at the Grand Riviera Princess. When we got there, check in was quick and the lady who helped us was really nice. However, we upgraded to a jr deluxe suite (has a jacuzzi in the bathroom and direct pool access). We are aware that only 42 of these rooms are available with the swim up pool so we knew we might not get one. However, the lady at the reception told us ours for sure had the pool and that we were lucky because they were on high demand. Very eager and excited to get there, we finally got to our room only to realize that it is not the room we had been promised. There was no swim up pool and a moldy smell was coming from the walls. We called the front desk and she told us that it turns out there wasnt enough rooms. Exhausted from our long travel, we decided to let it go and just enjoy our trip..we still had the jacuzzi in the bathroom which was nice.

The next day we decided to check out the resort. Its a nice resort, but huge. So for those who have mobility issues its best to stay at a smaller resort. Thankfully our room was close to the buffet and beach :)

The food at this resort was very disappointing. The same meals were cooked day after day and there was absolutely nothing that we ate and were satisfied by. The service was not too good either...by the time they came to offer us a drink we would already finish our meals. We understand when its busy sometimes its hard but most of the time that we ate the place was empty because we would be there early morning or late at night. We had to serve ourselves for the drinks which was a little annoying but we didnt mind.

The beach was nice but very busy. If you want to get a good spot (or a spot at all) you have to be there by 8am latest and put a towel down on a chair to reserve it.

The thing that made this whole trip a disappointment for us was that my iphone got stolen right out of my room. Two people have access to the rooms, the maid and the mini-fridge refill guy. At 4pm we decided to go to 5th ave and assuming that no one else would have reason to come into our room i felt comfortable leaving my phone on the night stand. When we came back it was missing. Hotel security and the manager came and combed through the room and found nothing. They checked to see who came into our room and claimed no one did but could give me no reason as to why my phone was gone. They told us if we wanted to call the police and make a report we had a right to do so.

We decided not to because we were aware things like this could happen in Mexico sometimes and partly blamed ourselves for not locking it away. However, 2 days later we went for breakfast. Before we left we opened our lock to get some money to leave for a tip..we were gone for about 20 mins and when we got back our safe wouldnt open. Confused and frustrated we called security again and they couldnt give us a reason as to why it wouldnt open. During the time that we were gone, the minifridge guy had come in and refilled the drinks. We didnt want to point fingers and we didnt but that said it all. Our safe had been tampered with, our personal items stolen..we were worried what was next.

We decided that maybe making a police report might be a good idea and prevent this from happening to future guests. However, the resort wouldnt let us make the call claiming that police were not allowed to come to the resort because it was private property. We said that we just wanted to make a call and they wouldnt transfer us. This all happened the night before we left so we decided just to let it go because we were leaving the next morning and didnt want to deal with anyone anymore.

All in all, the resort is nice, the staff is somewhat friendly but overall security and protection is a disaster. We did not feel safe while staying there and slept with one eye open every night. We found a disgusting huge cockroach in the room one night as well which was the cherry on top.

If you're looking for a relaxing, nice vacation book somewhere else. We barely ate at the resort because of how bad the food was :(

4 Thank ana b
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 4, 2013

As a solo woman traveller, I was very happy with the resort and especially pleased with the Laguna Villa Suites area of the resort. Alejandro was one of the conceirge staff for the separate oasis and he made lots of helpful suggestions to ensure my vacation was even more pleasant.
Food was good and beach was very nice for both walking and swmming. I would recommend the resort and especially the Villas.

Room Tip: The upgrade to the Villa was very well worth it......lovely large room and they had fun outside show...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank val-mn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,315 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,513 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,372 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!