“Great family trip”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Great family trip”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We have been here 2 times and had a great experience over all. I think if you go with a positive attitude you will have a great time. The problem with people and their negative reviews are that they pay a lot of money for their vacation and expect to be treated like royality and one thing goes wrong and it's the end of the world for them. If you can go plantinum it is worth it, your experience will be good overall. Yes the food in the buffet are not that good, but who cares there are lots of variety to choose from. I would recommend the day you arrive get your reservations for restaurants done right away and you will find the food better. We booked the fondue and we enjoyed it a lot. If you can afford the expense, book a night for the chill out dinner it is so worth it, we put our 9& 5 year of in kids club and had a fantastic dinner near the beach. The kids club is great, the girls are so nice and really take good care of your children. The beach is good, the rocks are hard on the feet and their is a lot of garbage in the sea but if you go on the clear spots you are good. We had no problem finding spots on the beach you just need to look and the service is ok in platinum but it's nice to get up and get your own drink once in awhile. Service this time in restaurants wasn't as fast and good as our first time but we feel we are on vacation and what's the hurry time is no issue. When we arrived we encountered a very drunken couple who were arguing with each other and swore a lot in front of our children when we we checking in but what can you do, there will be some people who come to this resort and really take advantage of the free drinks. Also just so people are aware some people think that just because you are in platinum area they think that people with children should not have their children in the private platinum pool. If you want to have a adult only vacation don't come here or go to the adults only section. A very rude French lady yelled at my son because he accidentally splashed her while in the platinum pool swimming and having a great time. Yes you know who you are and I hope you feel good about yourself making a young child cry who was enjoying himself. We honestly feel that you will have good vacation if you make it a good vacation. Just relax and enjoy the time you have with your family and never mind the ignorant people who are miserable with themselves and want to ruin your vacation and their own. I think people are so wound up with anything that goes wrong and it ruins their vacation. We enjoyed our vacation so much that we will be back next year. I also think that a lot of people should tip, just because it's all inclusive doesn't mean that you don't need to tip, these people do work hard to serve you. You leave a tip at any restaurant in your own country, why do you feel you should do it here? All in all come with a positive attitude, ignore the bad reviews you have read, these people who write these bad reviews are miserable and should just stay home if they can't enjoy themselves while on a vacation.

Room Tip: Go platinum...
4 Thank mcoulas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,884)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
London, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed in the Villa Laguana section from Dec 8 to 16th. We arrived late, about 3 am in the morning, only to find out they didn't have our room reservation. They didn't have us booked in until Dec 10th, and only for 3 days. Because it was so late, the said they would put us up for the night if I provided a credit card. (The room charge per night was about $400 per night.) The next morning we met with our West Jet rep and after about 45 minutes, he had everything fixed. Apparently, there was some data entry errors. My credit card slip was returned and there were no further issues with the room.

That evening there was some sort of disturbance in the room upstairs. I am not sure what was happening, but there was definitely someone in trouble. I called security and no one came. I tracked down a worker, who did not speak English, again no one came. Finally I was tracked down another worker and told him what was going on. He was quick to call for back up and help finally arrived. (Unbelivable that it would take almost a half hour to get security when I clearly said there was someone in trouble upstairs)

After this, I was truly concerned about what the week would bring., but everything worked out well.

The resort is huge. Lots of pools, lots of bars and lots of food.

The room - We had a Laguna Villa. It is located close to the front of the resort, close to the restaurants and the lobby, but far from the beach. The room was big and spacious. It had lots of closets space, stocked bar fridge and a safe. There was a large closet at the back of the room. When we opened it up, we were surprised to see the outdoor shower. Seemed strange at first, but you got used to it. Was a little weird at first to be showering and hearing people walk by at the same time. (It's just the ceiling that is opened. When we looked up all we saw was palm trees). With the villa, we had wifi in our rooms - when it worked. We mostly had to sit on the terrace in order to access it. The villa's also have a private pool with our own concierge and bar.

The food - there was always food available. The buffet had a large selection but it was very bland. It seemed like the same thing over and over again. That being said, you definitely didnt go hungry. We tried a couple of the al la cartes - the Swiss, the Grill and the Italian. The Grill was by favourite and I was pleasantly surprised by the Swiss. There was also a platinum buffet one night. My husband loved it, but I was not impressed. It was way too busy. If you chose to stand in the line, by the time you got there, your choice was gone.

The beach - was a little disappointed with the beach. When walking towards the beach, there was always an awful smell. Not sure what it was. The beach was rocky and seeweedy at spots. The worse part of the beach was all the vendors. The resort claims that because they dont own the beach, they can stop the vendors from coming. I have a hard believing that as there are established huts on the beach (blocking the view). As well, we walked down the beach, in both directions. There were no vendors to be found at the other close by resorts.

The pools - there were lots and lots of pools, but they were cold. Finding a lounge chair was not a problem. There was lots of sun or shade around the pools.

The grounds - clean and always maintained. They were always cleaning or fixing something.

The entertainment - almost seemed not existant during the day (although we did stay away from the "fun pool" for the most part) Nightly shows were okay. At times it was way to loud in theather, to the point it wasn't enjoyable and we left. The shows when the animation team performed I found to be better than when they brought shows in from elsewhere.

Overall, we had a great time and the resort was beautiful. Would I go back? Probably not, mostly because there are lots of other places out there that I would like to try out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I was a little concerned about this resort due to some negative reviews but not to worry, the resort is excellent overall. We stayed in the Riviera Platinum section which was really close to the beach and worth the upgrade. The rooms were really spacious and nice, the platinum lounge was a convenient spot to stop in for a drink. I thought the beach was O.K (I preffered the beaches in Playacar), the rocks and seaweed were mostly in front of the platinum beach area, if you went to the middle of the beach (in front of lifeguard stand) there were no rocks or seaweed, all sandy bottom, very nice!! There is the smell eminating from the mangrove swamps but after a while you don't notice it. We did notice in the water about 50 yards out in front of the lifeguard stand there was a hole in the sea floor that spewed warm water, not sure what it was.....a hot spring?
The pools are unbelievable! My kids spent as much time as possible swimming in them. There is always smeone walking around taking drink orders or just swim over to the various pool bars and get them yourself.
The food at the ala carte restaurants was very good, we especially enjoyed the Tepanyaki restaurant they put on a great show and the food is great. The fondue restaurant was surprisingly good as we did not know what to expect having never had fondue before. The buffets were adequate, i suppose they were no better or worse than a typical resort buffet, you surely won't starve. Also, we went downtown on the free shuttle and had a great time, as usual we went to Carbonicitos for lunch and the food was excellent,even the kids loved it and they are not easily impressed.
The service on all levels was excellent and all the employees that we met were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this resort to anyone, not only was it extremely family friendly but it would be great for couples young and old. It is so big, with so many options I can't imagine anyone not having a good time.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Platinum, you won't regret it
3 Thank Greenskeeper19
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I have nothing negative to write about this place and peopple going should ignore Any negative review and see for themselves! We stayed from the 4 to 16th of December on arrival we had a free upgrade to a jacuzzi suit, the bell boy was there with our suitcase and carried it up to the top floor. We had a lovey view of the sea.... Yes there were also trees in the way but you could still see it and with it not being poolside it was lovely and quiet! We went to the beach a lot and liked the adult only section there was a lovely waitress called Yara who couldn't do enough for you. We enjoyed all the ala cart restaurants and the buffets were great too. I don't know why some complain so much about the food they have obviously not travelled around Europe ; ) I have travelled all over the world but this was the furvast my husband has travelled and he was overwhelmed by the place and country. We would definatly not hesitate to book this hotel again if we ever travelled back to mexico.....truly amazing!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank kirst26lee31
Vancouver
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My brother got married here a couple of weeks ago and everyone in our party had an amazing time! This resort is only about 15 minutes from playa del carmen and they offer a free shuttle which is a bonus. The resort itself is immaculate, clean, modern, and has beautiful grounds. There are a tonne of different pools and no shortage of poolchairs. It was better than other resorts in that sense. People were not saving chairs with their towels. The beach is gorgeous!! Plus the service is amazing. No matter where you are on the resort there is always a server that comes by to get your drink order. Amazing, fast, and friendly service at all the restaurants. The unlimited a la cartes was also a bonus. I've never had such delicious food in my life!! Every single a la carte was amazing. The buffet food was your usual buffet food, nothing over the top but has everything you need.
This resort seems to cater to a lot of couples and young adults, there weren't many children at all. I loved the disco there, awesome music. Great shows in the auditorium or out in the courtyard. The shows are definitely the best I've seen at any resort.
I tried to go to the gym a few times but its mediocre. It has several treadmills, bikes, and ellipticals. There are two universal gyms which suck, and a basic rack of freeweights up to 60 lbs I think. The archery and shooting were fun tho... I didn't do it but another member of the group did.
Some of the downfalls of the resort which are few include: slippery floors, I fell a few times because there's marble floor everywhere and trying to walk in that in heels is a little risky if it gets wet. No free internet anywhere, its like $70 for the week and is only able to be used by a laptop (no smartphones/ipads), there are internet cafes and you get 30 mins for $10 but you don't have to use it all at once. Expensive room service, it was like $12 for a salad that you could just walk down to the buffet to get. Other people didn't complain but my room was a little musty smelling and all my clothes were damp by the end of the trip, but that's expected with how humid it is there.
In summary it was one of the most amazing resorts I've been to. My brother's wedding was at the gazebo and it was the most beautiful wedding I'd ever seen!!

2 Thank Travelbug_ruverbug
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Let me start by saying I am an avid traveller and am very picky. Went her with my family. 4 adults and a 3 and 5 year old. We stayed in the platinum suites. In our party some stayed on riviera and some stayed on sunset side. Both were fantastic. Our first night our reservations got messed up and we had to stay in a junior deluxe so I can honestly comment that staying platinum is much better. Soooooo many perks and anyone without the platinum bracelet is escorted out of the platinum areas promptly. The rooms are beautiful and very clean. The buffets for me were so so but pretty average for buffets. You won't starve by no means. We ate at 5 ala cartes. The grill, teppanyaki, and mama Mia are definitely top notch and are better then some Canadian fine dining that I have been too. The French was not really my thing but still decent and the fondue restaurant was horrendous and nothing fondue about it. After dinner we waited 20 mins to get our dessert and ended up leaving. That was our only disappointing experience with service. The staff her are beyond amazing and go out of their way to ensure your happiness. The beach is amazing white sand that streatchs forever with multi blue colored water that was as warm as a bath. Never had troubles finding chairs. The ambience is breathtaking. Now for my fav part. The kids club. WOW. I am an over protective concerned parent who doesn't let just anyone watch my kids but..... The girls at the kids club are amazing. Our kids never wanted to hang out with us after breakfast they wanted to go straight to the kids club. When there they played games had tennis lessons, went for lunch, did crafts, went to beach, played in playground and so much more. Because its for 4-12 we ended up paying one of the girls to be the nanny for our 3 year old and keep her in the kids club with her brother. We also had the supervisor of the kids club come off the resort with us and come to xel ha for the day to help with kids when we were snuba and snorkaling. The girls are so gentle with kids but also no when to be concerned and ask the kids not to do something harmful to them. We became so close to them that they and us and our kids geared up cause we had to leave. If you have any questions about the kids club please email me. The mini disco also at night is run by the girls. You can hire them anytime to babysit. Most have university degrees and are living at the resort to make extra cash after they've finished school to be able to move out and start their carriers.they are constantly taking courses for their job. Enough about the amazing girls....we are going back next Xmas and rarely go anywhere more then once no matter the experience but overall the location, staff food, rooms, beach, entertainment and so on we're amazing and can't be beat especially for the cost. Hope this helps!!! And enjoy your trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Laurenbp
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Visited the Riviera Princess from Dec 12 to 19 for our honeymoon and we had a WONDERFUL time. I'll try to hit the key points that I think would be helpful for people.
FOOD: Keep in mind we aren't picky eaters but we found there were LOTS of variety. Always hot and only had to wait for a table at the buffet once at 7pm (high time). If waiting would drive you bonkers, aim for a bit later, like 8pm. Only complaint for the buffet is that you have to be seated and cant pick your own table. Lots of a la carte options and never had any trouble booking these a day or two before. I even saw a couple requesting if they had extra room the night of and the staff accomodated them. If booking Miso, make sure you ask for the ones at the grill. Much more entertaining! Keep in mind there are buffets for breakfast and lunch at the end of the resort close to the beach as well.
ROOM: Cleaned thouroughly everyday, all appliances worked great and water pressure was A1. Never ran out of hot water. A couple tips though... if you are out on the balcony at night, you will become the buffet (bugs!). And secondly, when booking a room I suggest just paying for the basic room as many people get upgraded to the suit for free as there aren't many basic rooms. Glad I recieved this tip as it saved us about $400. Basic room only has a shower where suit has jet tub and shower.
GROUNDS: It's a big resort, but don't count on any trolleys, there almost non existent. But if you're moderately able bodied and not a total couch potatoe, you'll be fine. From end to end it might be a 12 minute walk. And its a beautiful walk! Grounds are well maintained and lots of lizards, birds, etc to entertain you.
POOLS: Are everywhere. You will always find a recliner and the staff are very good at keeping your drinks full for you.
BEACH: It is true, it is rocky for the first thirty feet or so and then it smoothes out. Unfortunately, my main complaints are in this area. Not many loungers for the amount of people that want them and they made a really bad decision in lining vendors up between the loungers and the water, totally blocking your view!! Not the end of the world though, espeically when there is so much pool space.
TRIPS: Chichen Itza is awsome, but 2.5hrs away. So keep that in mind! Rio Secreto is a lot closer, only 40 min away and only a half day trip. Only downside is you cant take any pictures while in the caves. They have they're only photographer but they charge you $25 per picture or $100 for all of them. Whichever trip you go on, good idea to ask for a boxed lunch the day before and pick up at main desk.
EXTRAS: There is LOTS and LOTS of children. Can be a pro or con, but good to keep in mind.
There are free shuttles into town, but WARNING they only have one shuttle in the evening to bring people back so be prepared to pay about $40 for a taxi back. The shuttles book up fast too by 8am the day before.
There are no clocks/alarms in the room (or on the tv). So make sure you bring your own alarm (Ipod, whatever) or request a wake up call. We asked for a wake up call twice and they were always right on time.
Outlets are just like at home, didn't have any problems with flat iron, chargers, etc. No three prong plugs though.

Ok, hope that was helpful! Happy traveling!!

Room Tip: Book basic room, good chance you'll be upgraded anyway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Maya Tropical
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Bel Air Collection Xpu Ha Riviera Maya
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!