I booked my holiday, and then like others before me I read many reviews on Trip Advisor and some were positive some were not. Fortunately for me, my experiences mirror the positive.
We had chosen in advance to upgrade to the Platinum suite, and although we have no basis for comparison, were very impressed with our accomodation and the extra services (24hr complimentary room service, wifi, premium drinks, preferred dining every night, location to beach) it included.
All the staff were friendly and helpful from the minute we arrived, we were checked in and found our way to our room very quickly. We din't get our drink (glass of bubbly) on arrival due to a large group checking in just before us, and the refills not getting there quick enough, but it was not a big problem at all, as soon as we got to our room we had alcohol on tap!
The room was very spacious and clean (couldn't fault housekeeping), and we had no problems throughout our stay. I like a firm mattress and slept very well every night. We didn't have much of a view as we faced inwards towards a row of tall jungle bushes, rather than towards the beach, which was a shame, but not the end of the world.
The private concierge service that is offered to the platinum suites is so helpful and really useful, they can make all your dinner reservations directly for you, and check on any local information you might need, saving you a trip to the main reception. It was the same few concierge for our whole stay and it was nice to be recognised when you had a query. Talking to other guests during our stay this platinum benefit was certainly worth it, they had waited for ages to make bookings, and the reservation times weren't great, where as we got what we wanted every time.
The platinum suites are located right down at the beach end of the hotel and although they have a private pool area with bar and snacks, the beach is so clean, and also has a butler service and a BBQ snack area, so your really spoilt for choice. You are also only a stone throw away if you want to watch the sun rise or set, we did both, and it was well worth the early morning.
You do need to be quick in the morning if you want a poolside bed in the private area, although your not supposed to, everybody reserved these by about 8.30 each morning.
Having a private bar within the platinum complex with drinks available all night was certainly a nice touch, we enjoyed pre dinner champagne with canapes by the pool on several evenings and it was always nice to have one last drink knowing you were so close to your room at the end of the day.
Whilst I don't want to complain about the food, there was certainly enough of it, and the quality of produce was good, my only criticism would be that it was a little bland, there is lots of choice between all the restaurants on offer, and the buffets, but none really impressed us, with the exception of the French restaurant, where the steak was excellent. Breakfast was always good, with lots of choice, and dessert always looked amazing but was mostly just a collection of coloured gelatinous gloop, not that I minded as there was always plenty of fruit, yoghurts and icecreams. You will definitely not go hungry though, and if like us you except that they are trying to cater to a neutral international palette, you will be quite happy.
Being platinum guests we were very close to the buffet restaurant at the end of the resort, and were offered an a la carte service at breakfast and lunch if we wanted it. It was then quite nice to go up to the main lobby area for dinner in one of the many restaurants.
There is a golf buggy service down each side of the hotel, (Riviera and Sunset) this runs every 15 minutes so you never have to wait long, it picks up and drops off at the platinum reception so again nice and convienient. This is great druing the day when it is very warm if you want to get up to the main reception for any reason, and although it runs well into the late evening, we found the ten minute walk back after dinner very pleasant with all the lights on around the very well kept grounds.
The hotel is only a ten minute taxi journey from the centre of Playa Del Carmen so you can easily go shopping or eat out whenever you want to. The concierge at the main reception will either book you a place on the free shuttle bus or arrange a taxi. We opted for taxi's as there was always plenty of them, your not time restricted, and they are very reasonably priced.
The beach is lovely, and very well equiped with beds and bars, as well as other activities and little stalls for souvenirs, it was never busy due to the season, and so we always found a quiet spot to sit without walking to far. I would advise you take or purchase dive shoes (the hotel shop stocked them) though, as the location is a little rocky, and without them swimming in the sea could be a very painful experience for your feet!
We were extremely lucky with the weather, it stayed at 28-30 degrees of sun / cloudy sun every day, and although our stay was during the rainy season we only had a couple of heavy short showers, always in the evening and never effecting our plans as a result.
There are a few shops within the hotel complex, these are very expensive if you just want some basic toiletries or food snacks, but only marginally more expensive for gifts and beach equipment, especially if you need it there and then and are not planning a trip into town. The big benefit is that with the exception of the jewellery shop, (discount negotiation strongly advised) you don't haggle for your purchases, and not bothered while you browse. Playa Del Carmen is great for all your little bits and pieces, but can be a tiring experience, and the hotel has them aswell if you forget one or two.
They also have quite a large spa, we received a 50% voucher to use within 24 hours of arrival and we are very glad we did. We both had a swedish masssage and although it would have been very expensive at normal price, it was well worth it with the voucher, and a really nice start to our holiday. You can also opt for a massage on the beach through the hotel spa, but if you walk up and down a little there are many providers at much better rates.
I have stayed in a few large resorts and this seemed a very typical all inclusive large resort within it's price bracket, it was only about 50% full due to the time of year, so I have no idea what it would be like at peak season. Whilst I know that there will always be bad where there is good, we were lucky not to experience any, and so we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone considering it as an option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa is located on the stunning Riviera Maya, just three kilometers from the famous Playa Del Carmen, in beautiful surrounds, with large and spacious natural parks and the delight of a good tropical weather. Besides our fascinating beach, renowned for the clear water and splendid sea beds, typical of the east end of the Yucatan Peninsula, the Hotel invites you to discover the huge wealth of the archaeological remains of the Maya culture in this area. After crossing the spacious lobby the splendid "Paseo de los Dioses" is reached, which invites the costumers to discover the charm of the hotel. It is a gift to our senses to enjoy all our facilities that can be found to our left and right on the way to the marvelous beach awaiting for everybody at the way of the pleasant stroll.Opened in December 2007, Grand Riviera Princess offers 674 fully equipped rooms with a range of services that give the clients a variety of possibilities to choose from: Junior Suite, Junior Suite Deluxe (some with direct pool access), Platinum Suites and Laguna Villa Suites (ideal for the most romantic honeymoon).A fascinating Spa is offered to all the clients, and the most complete activity program during day and night. A range of services in the varied and international selection of top quality food provide the perfect counterpoint when sharing moments of peace and calm with excellent meals in beautiful and inviting specially decorated surrounds, some of which are by the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsClick, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort And Spa
- Grand Riviera Princess All Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Riviera Princess Hotel
- Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico