“Fab time at The Princess!!”

Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa
Ranked #79 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Fab time at The Princess!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was only here one night, as part of a work related trip - can't speak highly enough, I was in a Platinum room where the patio had direct access to the pool....loved it!!!! can't wait to go back. I'm a vegetarian and the food was fab! fresh, I had a made to order eggs, the guacamole was superb....the room was spacious and the bed very comfortable...had great sleeps my entire time in Mexico...great service, lovely people, polite staff, clean hotels....really great trip!!!!

Room Tip: A platinum room with direct pool access from your patio is really nice! I didn't use the spa al...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TorontoTraveller2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,841)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

All in all this place was excellent. I have to give the lowest mark to the food. It was good quality, fresh and well presented but (except for the regional specialties) on the mediocre side, even in the specialty restaurants. Just plain good food and lots of it, all the time. I guess I'm just saying don't go here expecting a gourmet experience (at least at the non-platinum level). Plenty of American/Canadian/British comfort food, lots of vegetables both fresh and cooked (a vegetarian would be fine here; a vegan, not so much), Mexican regional specialties and cooked to order entrees (and omlettes) as well as plenty of breads and desserts.

As for the rest: what a beautiful, fun place to escape to. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. There is an amazing swimming pool that snakes throughout the complex filled with bars and jacuzzis. There is a loud portion of the pool but also many quiet, almost private little inlets and rivers. Our room (Jr. suite deluxe) was well appointed, clean and comfortable. Everything worked and we slept well on the comfy bed. Our balcony overlooking the pool was spacious and open, yet private at the same time. The staff, all of them, are helpful, courteous, knowledgeable and happy... all the time. Our room was kept in tip top shape by the same maid our entire stay. Any requests (more water, towel, pillows) were met quickly and nicely. Great service with a smile.

There's lots to do within the resort and you can take outside excursions. or you can float in the pool all day with an ever filling Magarita. But the beast part of this place is the wonderful beach. Fine, almost white sand, lush vegetation and the calm blue Caribbean Sea are all around you under your palapa. There's a walk up bar (waiter service at the platinum level) and all day BBQ (burgers, hot dogs, chips, guac. etc. and a daily lunch special). The water was shallow and warm, rocky in a few spots, low waves. You can take a walk for as long as you want on the beach. The beach is surrounded by a mangrove swamp so you can't see the resort behind you. They could use some more comfortable/larger beach chairs, At 5' 11" I found my feet uncomfortably hanging over the end of the chaises.

This was a wonderful place and I would definitely return. I should add that my partner and I felt totally comfortable there as a gay couple.

Room Tip: The "Junior Suite Deluxe Pool" suites seem cool at first with their private pool entry fro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dfreelon13
windsor
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times and going in April for the forth time....There is no better resort in the world that is a better bang for your buck...You are paying 3 star prices and getting 4.5 star experience. Bars are everywhere, never have a problem getting a refill, 7 or 8 restaraunts and dynomite gathering area every night. The Laguna section rocks...It is Adults Only...Don't listen to the complainer's that have no respect for the locals and can't wait to get home and write a bad review on trip advisor cause they expect to be waited on hand and foot and treat the locals like they are beneath them....Of course your trip sucked...You are paying cheap prices to go to this resort so don't expect 5 - 6 star exerience...If you want that then pay for it, but don't rip the resort because you have no concept of reality.. I have employee's from there on my Facebook, I have never had a problem comunicating with them, maybe because I treat them with respect so they will actually try to speak with me as opposed to saying no speak englias...Did you here that allot...Probably...The food in the restaruants is awesome...Need to pick the good stuff in the buffets, but that is the same at every resort..The rooms rock, and the pools are great...They constantly have trains going up and down the resort to get from one side to the other...Get a clue...I just found the last review to anger me....I don't work there but I feel that it is the best bang for your buck resort wise in the world...I have been to allot of places and $1100 a person out of Canada for 7 days there is awesome..

Room Tip: Laguna suites (WOW---24 hour free room service)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank feehar
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have returned from this resort on the 21st September 2012. All I can say is this place is wonderful, I am reading some of the other bad reviews now and have to say rubbish!!

The hotel is immaculate. The staff are on duty 24 hours a day it rained one night and they were in the pouring rain sweeping the rain away at 23:30. The rooms were cleaned every day towels changed every day.

The pools were under maintance but is nice to know they are being looked after and cleaned there was lots of other pools to use.

The food what can I say in the buffet itself massive prawns, lobster, pork, beef, chicken, tacos. And much more deserts were fab I never had a bad day. I did eat in the Chinese restaurant it was nice. Steak house was nice as well u did Have to book but it was not a problem.

Our first choice rep Pablo was brilliant had an issue first couple of days with mini bar but after we told him it was filled every day after that. We did go down to the beach a few times just a little bit hassle but we just said no thanks and that was the end of it.

I did many trips chit zen itza. / amazing
Xplor/ brilliant
Swam with turtles/ beautiful
Swam in cenotes / what can I say omg fab
Jungle maya/absailing,zip wires, snorkel brilliant
Captain Hook/ very corny

All in all

The most amazing holiday all I can say is paradise . And I would go back to this resort in a heart beat.
Don't let the bad reviews put you off, I DO NOT HAVE A BAD WORD TO SAY ABOUT THIS PLACE

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Vicky M
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just got back from this resort today. Overall we really enjoyed out visit but there are some things that could be improved.

First, the good...

I found that the vast majority of the staff were very friendly and attentive. The bellmen working the front of the resort were great throughout our stay of getting us the taxis we needed and explaining to us the costs and expectations. Likewise, they did a fine job of taking care of our baggage at check in and checkout.

I found the buffets throughout the resort to be very good also. I thought there was a good selection of good quality foods and there was always something good to eat that could be found. I definitely wouldn't starve here.

I also very much enjoyed the beach here. It is sandy quite a ways out into the water which made for easy water play.

The grounds here are quite beautiful too. I enjoyed the neatly manicured flora throughout the resort. There was also interesting wildlife to be seen. Iguanas wander freely through the resort along with the occasional Coati. It was also a lot of fun to see the crocs swimming around under the bridge at Club Chill Out.

The pools were good although it appeared a number of them were closed for maintenance during our visit. The water in some pools was VERY warm. I liked this. There were plenty of deck chairs to be had so it was a good place to relax.

Some things that could be better...

There is no easy place to grab a snack in the pool areas. If you want to eat, you need to get semi-dressed and go into one of the buffets and be seated. It would be great if there was a little snack bar out there to grab a quick bite, like nachos, or some fries, something like that.

The resort is very long if that makes sense. There is a relatively small beach area and is spread very far from lobby to beach. It is desirable to spend time at the beach but so much of the activity, food, clubs, shows is near the front of the resort. It is a long hike. There are shuttles every 15 minutes that take you from end to end at the resort but they frequently full and you must wait for another shuttle or start hiking.

Also along the hiking topic, it is kind of hard to explain, but there are no short cuts. We stayed in the platinum suites which were very close to the main pool areas but there is no easy access. You have to around several building to get to something a few yards in front of you. You kind of have to have been there to understand that maybe.

I didn't care much for the restaurants that had to be scheduled. We ate at Miso one night. It was good but we were disappointed to not have seating at one of the chef stations. We’re not sure how we could have landed one of those tables. We also ate at the Fondu place one night. It was kinda gross but I admit, that Fondu maybe just isn’t my thing.

Our room was… okay. The beds were VERY comfortable. I slept wonderfully every night. Our bed was actually two full sized beds pushed together. That was weird, but it worked somehow. It was like a giant bed. I liked it. The general upkeep though left something to be desired. Some cracking on the walls and some general wear and tear. The worst part was our deck. The wood on the deck was literally rotting away. The railing was loose and the deck just simply wasn’t safe to use. I’m baffled that they would just leave the deck in this condition and continue selling this room.

Outside the rooms when we would walk by some areas in our building there was a foul, sewage smell, not sure what that was.

One day while we were there, there were some VERY obnoxious drunk women in one of the pools. They were stumbling over themselves, annoying other guests, being belligerent, trying to pick fights and basically making fools of themselves and everyone in the area uncomfortable. Hotel security was there but for some reason was doing very little to intervene. They would talk to the women and would watch them but wouldn’t do anything to take them away or stop them. This went on for hours and hours. It was one of the more bizarre things I have seen at one of these resorts.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Riviera Princess is good, not great. If I had to do the trip all over again, I’d probably take my chances elsewhere. We’ve stayed and the Barcelo Maya before not too far from here and found that resort to be a bit better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JDVDH
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I have never written a travel review, but felt compelled to warn others about this resort. IT is all SMOKE & MIRRORS!!! I felt confident booking my vacation here because it was rated 4stars, but have NO idea how anyone could consider this place even close to 4 stars. Upon arrival we had to wait 3 hrs to get in our room (we arrived at the resort around noon)...we were directed to one of several buffets offered only to find the food was worse than anything I have ever eaten in a school cafeteria. As we walked back to the front desk to get our room keys (which took FOREVER! this place is so big it takes forever to get anywhere which is fine except you can't get any assistance over the room phone (they don't speak a lick of English) & have to go to the front desk & wait in line to get any questions answered!! One of the main hotel pools with swim up bar was drained & under maintenance. We had a swim up room (that was sold as adults only) but there were kids swimming all around our room. The pool water was actually hot (we jokingly referred to it as the jacuzzi) The margaritas, liquor & mixers included in the all-inclusive is the cheapest I have every had & the only beer offered is corona on tap (I actually wonder if it is really corona) & Modelo in the minibar. My travel partner got sick the first night from the cheap tequila & syrup they use for the margaritas (she only drank 2). Another MASSIVE inconvenience is that you can't just go eat at the restaurants at your leisure...you have to make a reservation & come to find out there is only ONE girl at a desk making reservations for the entire resort. We waited in line for 45min to make a reservation only to find out the TAPAS restaurant we wanted to eat at was closed...most of the other restaurants were completely booked for the time we were there except for random odd times... Throwing our hands up in defeat, we again attempted the dinner buffet which was worse than the lunch buffet. The room smelled like sewage & we had to call at 4pm in the afternoon to get housekeeping to even come clean, constant banging doors in the halls all night, the mini-bar in the room is an absolute JOKE (one canned bear of model, a sprite & a bottled water). And don't think you can just relax on the beach! Vendors walk around & try to sell you goods & services as you are trying to relax. I could hardly finish a page in my book without being bothered!! I could go on & on about how bad this resort was but the bottom line is that when you are on vacation everything shouldn't be such a struggle & ABSOLUTELY NO ONE we came across that worked there cared about customer service or what they could do to help.... We left after 2 days into our trip (had booked for 5days) and were told we couldn't get any of our money back (booked with vacations to go). On the bright side, I think I lost 5lbs on this trip just from starvation! Don't Waste your $ at this resort! Pay a bit more if you have to & go somewhere else!!! Learned my lesson the hard way...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Katie S
Torbay
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I am so sick of seeing negative reviews about this hotel. Reviews like them caused me worry, stress and almost a change of holiday when there was no need!! Here is a real review, straight to the point from a 20 something couple who enjoy holidays each year to a variety of countries. We were on the basic package and travelled with Thomson.

Check - in: quick, easy and got an upgrade - simple!

Room: large, clean, working air con and free mini bar. Jacuzzi bath didn't work but it was part of our FREE upgrade so we didn't bother complaining. We much preferred a refreshing shower after a day in the sun.

Complex: The complex is large but it's not a polar expedition to get from one side to the other. Unless you are over 70 or have mobility problems, the walk is fine. It takes 10 minutes from one side to the other and the scenery is beautiful along the way. So unless you hate moon lit strolls, lushous surroundings and after dinner conversation - maybe take the shuttle after your meals! We loved it and a little light exercise didn't do us any harm.

Staff: WOW - whoever said the staff were rude and unattentive must have spent their evenings in the restrooms!! Every single member of staff said Hola to us. Generally we passed about 5 members of staff during our walks to dinner/breakfast, were greated by someone every time we ate and waited on by someone every meal. Not including the maids who greated you kindly each day. Thats a total of around 20 Hola's and friendly smiles each day - who can complain?!? We served very quickly when sat in the open air bar area and waiters in the restaurants were always very quick with our drinks.

Food: Something for everyone. At breakfast there were pastries, cold meats, yogurts, fruit, fried and scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, hash browns as well as many mexican options. The same for lunch and dinner. Every night was themed in the buffet restaurants - oriental, italian, french, mexican etc. and if you wanted a change, the a la carte restaurants were great. We ate at the Italian, steak house and Miso (cooking show). We went to the reservations desk at the suggested time and booked our tables at reasonable times... no problems. If you were lazy and left it until the last minute, I could see why you would have problems getting tables so... don't so that!!!

Facilities/beach: There were so many pools that we made sure we sat beside a different one every day. They were clean and never a problem with loungers. If you like music and entertainment the party pool is great, if not there are many other pools that are quite and relaxing. The bar maids generally take orders from people sitting near the party pool or ajacent pools as this is where the bar is.... makes sense! The beach was fantastic, always easy to find a lounger. The food and bar on the beach is very handy and good, quick food. The water is great! Yes there are rocky areas but i didn't need water shoes, there are clear patches that are not hard to find ( infact there is a clear patch directly infront tof the main walkway). The water was lovely, at times it was not as clear, generally on windy days but mother nature works in these ways - it didn't ruin our holiday... we just swam to a clear section!

Entertainment: Great early shows for the kids, live music ofr adults later. Late night productions in the theatre as well as markets, fashion shows, fire shows and mexican music and dancing - we enjoyed every night.

Location/trips etc: The hotel is situated on a large strip of other hotels, all within a mile or so of each other. As a result, unless you walk up and down the beach, there isn't any where to go. However you can easily get a taxi down to Playa del Carmen and other near by towns for a change of scenery or go on one of the many, many excursions. We signed up to be Dolphin trainers for the day at a local park which was absolutely amazing!!! you can also visit mayan temples, snorkel with turtles, explore the jungles via jeep or speed boat etc. etc The location of the hotel did not hold us back from having a good time!!

All in all, we had a great holiday. You do get what you pay for but in this instance we were very pleasantly surprised. The basic package did not hold us back in any way and the perks of the premium package seemed pointless - we enjoyed ourselves reguardless! The all inclusive option was fantastic, meaning you could eat every hour of the day if you really wanted to!! We made sure we were relaxed and focused on enjoying ourselves and as a result ... we did! People who search for things to complain about will find something. Don't let these people ruin your holiday.

I would highly recommend the Grand Riviera Princess!

Room Tip: We stayed in block 6 (6114) - we were 1 minute from the beach, seconds from two fo the breakfast/lun...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
26 Thank hannahd21
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#58 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,291 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,505 reviews
Catalonia Riviera Maya
Catalonia Riviera Maya
#8 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 8,344 reviews
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Grand Riviera Princess All Suites Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!