“Depends what you're looking for...very, very expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
northern illinois
“Depends what you're looking for...very, very expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

Just got back from the Rosewood Mayakoba.

The Good:

1. The rooms are very nice. Big, comfortable, and the plunge pool is very nice (if they get the temperature regulated for you)

2. Very quiet if that's what you're looking for.

3. Generally, the staff is very courteous.

The Questionable:

1. 2 bowls of Special K, a fruit plate, and coffee was $45.00. I travel extensively and this was by far the most expensive resort I've ever seen. Mozzarella, tomato salad and a glass of white for lunch $45.00. Starting to see a trend?

2. Quiet. Too quiet for us. We like our privacy, but you quite literally don't see hardly anybody at the resort. The main pool - maybe 2 or 3 people there at high point. The oceanfront - maybe 20 people and still out of lounge chairs.

3. The food. I didn't think it was very good at all (especially for the money). We ate lunch at the resort every day. Chicken fajitas were ok. Salads were ok. Burger was ok. Also, the restaurants hours were somewhat limited.

4. The resort is sooo spread out. You either wait forever for a golf cart (they claim a cart comes around every 10-15 minutes) or you walk in the heat. We waited one night when we were dressed for dinner for nearly 30 minutes - after we had called for a cart twice.
Otherwise, you walk and walk and walk - almost 20 minutes to get to the beach from our room.

We would not go back to this resort. If it rains, there is literally nothing to do unless they happen to have a spa opening.

If you like "people watching" or being around people you will not like this resort.

If you like a variety of dining options, you will not like this resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank landshark71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Korean first
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

What a great experience. After one day you feel so relaxed and at home. The accomodations are excellent (an all suite property; each with a private plung pool, outdoor shower, and sundeck), the service is top-notch, and the food is delicious. Each suite comes with an attentive butler. Rather than a "beach resort" you must come expecting a "unique jungle resort that just happens to have a fabulous beach." As with many hotels in this area, the beach is removed from most of the guest suites by thick mangroves. Golf carts zip your around. Very exotic! I see quesitons about what do do with pre teens and teens. Not a lot at the resort except to swim, sun and spa (and OMG the spa is heavenly) - but if they tire of that, head over to nearby Maroma Beach for jet skiing, snorkeing, fishing, lunch under palms on the beach, etc. Or into Playa del Carmen (about 15 mins from the entrance to Mayakoba) for shopping (great for teens) and great dining options. Lots of great al fresco restaurants there. Also, several eco-parks (like Xel Ha) are not very far away. Great idea for a day and easy to combine with a few hours at Tulum (Mayan site). We all decided it was our favorite get away in a long time and can't wait to go back. Highly recomended.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank resortsrme
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

We stayed here six nights in April and it was absoutely fabulous from start to finish. The facility is amazing, service is impeccable (they know your name and use it), pools are beautiful, rooms are gorgeous, restaurants are great. It was beyond our expectations, everything is nearly flawless. I can't think of anything to complain about -- but if I had to, I would say that the room is a little too warm.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Missoury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

We are coming back from a recent trip to Rosewood Mayakoba Riviera Maya, we are frequent visitors to this area of Mexico, we usually stay at the JW Marriott but a friend of my wife told us to try the Rosewood, she stayed there with her husband one month earlier and their comments looked great to me.

I could write a long review but the end will be the same if I would write a short one, THIS HOTEL IS BY FAR THE BEST WE’VE EVER STAYED, you won’t regret it!!

When we arrived at the airport, we were greeted by FAMAR Transfers, I have used this company before and they are highly recommended, sometimes the airport could be craziness and FAMAR is easy to find and the vehicle ready to get on board, our driver Jesus was very professional. At the hotel, the doorman Alex was waiting for us, he was very attentive all the time. At the check in we were offered to be upgraded and we asked to see different rooms, I can assure you that there is no ugly or small room at the Rosewood. The entire hotel is a well kept place, my wife was very excited to be there, The Club de Playa, The SPA, the food, the wine selection, everything is top notch.

The location is perfect, just 15 minutes to get to Playa del Carmen, we realized that this place has changed a lot since last time we were there, this is a safety place and we had dinner at La Bodeguita de enMedio, this is a Cuban place located at the end of the fifth avenue, my wife loved the mojitos.

We decided to come back to Rosewood next year!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

We just returned from a week-long stay at the Mayakoba Resort, where we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The deluxe lagoon suite was beautifully designed, spacious, and accomodated all our needs by providing 2 full bathrooms with 3 showers (one of which was outdoors.) This came in handy when we needed to shower simultaneously, as there was no arguing between our two young teens about who got to use the shower first! I especially appreciated the way the bedroom had pocket doors that we could open or close for privacy. The plunge pool overlooking the natural mangrove lagoon and the private sun deck were positively decadent and made us feel like we were staying in a private villa.
The service was also excellent: friendly, helpful, and attentive. Anything we needed was attended to with promptness and courtesy. The housekeeping was superb. Our room was always immaculate no matter the time of day and we were always stocked with fresh towels and comfortable bathrobes. The butler assigned to our suite even unpacked for us. The only downside was that the service at the restaurant could be slow at times.
I also used the spa facilities on two separate occassions and found the experience very relaxing and rejuvenating.
What I liked best about the Mayakoba was that, even though there were lots of families with children of all ages and the hotel was filled to capacity, one never got the sense that the place was crowded. All in all, I would recommend this resort without reservation and hope to return there for a future vacation.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

First off, I would like to say that I have visited Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos, Cap Juluca in Anguilla, and Eden Roc in St. Bart's. My husband and I are major foodies and majorly picky about hotels and vacations. This place was our favorite with our children. First off, this was the busiest week of the season, and the only time that was apparent was at breakfast. It was crowded in the Casa del Lago restaurant, but the service was still exemplary. They serve a green juice that is so delicious and healthy, and my children loved it. When we arrived, my children were exhausted, and they didn't make me do anything. They told me to check in the next day. I really appreciated their sensitivity. The room was spacious and perfectly laid out. Our three children were able to sleep comfortably in a room that was separated by pocket doors that we closed at night. We never heard a peep at night. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The rooms are lovely. Beautiful marble floors and bathrooms. Outdoor shower, deep tubs, and two bathrooms. We also had a lovely deck that led to a lagoon. My daughters loved going out on the deck in the morning and looking at the birds and fish. There are two amazing pools. One is at the main house, and my children played for hours there. The service at the pools was amazing. Frozen grapes, popsicles, mango sorbet, chocolate milkshakes served every 20 minutes. The pool by the beach is beautifully laid out and it was nice to go from the beach to the pool easily. The beach was nice, but not heavenly. It was quite windy, and the surf was a bit rough. In all our years vacationing with our children, they have never used a kid's club. At this resort, they loved it. The staff in the kids club really made the experience fun (puppet making, pottery painting, egg hunt, water balloon war) and my kids were asking to go. The food at the resort was amazing. We loved the Mexican specialties, as well as the more traditional dishes. We ordered guacamole and chips twice a day and my kids ate it up. The cocktails were delicious, and I would have had many more if my level head hadn't prevailed. The best margaritas I have ever had. Overall, it was a great vacation and worth the money. The staff are incredible and everyone addresses you by name. They go the extra mile to make you happy.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth R
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

The title says it all. For a $950+/night room, we got sick from the food there and our entire experience was ruined. And as much as the chef tried to deny that it was the food, that is the only plausible explanation given that we had been there several days and had never left the property.
We were bedridden for about 48 hours with intense vomiting and diarrhea. And for a 2 year old, that can be life-threatening. I only wished I had argued to get a reduction off our final bill, which was expensive, to say the least...I overheard someone else at check out trying to get a reduction because his daughter got sick too.
I also know we were NOT the only ones to get sick...friends of ours also got sick, so it wasn't a coincidence.
We were there the first week of march during our kindergartner's spring break and I feel it is too late to call Rosewood's HQ in Dallas to express my disappointment, but felt it necessary to warn others. I specifically booked this resort hoping NOT to get sick under the belief that such a pricey resort would take extra precautions with the handling of food.

SAVE YOUR MONEY. Go somewhere cheaper. This is probably the priciest hotel in the area. Not worth it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family