“Wonderful trip with young children”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wonderful trip with young children”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

I was a bit nervous after reading previous reviews since we were bringing two young kids (ages 3 and 1) and didn't know if the resort would be kid friendly. We were pleasantly surprised and our children as well as my husband and I had a great stay. They have a kid's breakfast buffet, menus, kid's club, sand toys, etc that make it a nice place for a family getaway. There were tons of families (as well as couples) so it was a nice mix. We booked a lagoon suite which was great for us and we loved the plunge pool as well as the amazing bath tub (one day we even got the boys a bath and they filled it with bubbles and balloons...a big hit). The only downside to this room is the connecting door to the next door suite. We could hear everything when the other occupants were nearby (and the first couple there brought their ipod speakers and blared terrible 80s wedding band music)...which also meant they could probably hear a crying kid. Luckily they have other doors that close off the bathroom/closet area) and the noise was greatly reduced. I also was thinking the food would be mediocre but we were happy to discover that everything we ate was really yummy - beachside, at the main restaurant and also room service. As the previous posts mentioned, the hospitality was great. Everyone was very nice and helpful. The spa facilities are beautiful although my treatments were okay. Overall, we would definitely return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank rrhsunny76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed February 10, 2010

My wife and I take a long weekend every year to celebrate the fact that our Anniversary and my birthday fall on what is usually the most miserable week of the year to be stuck in New York. This year, we decided to try the Rosewood after reading reviews in a few magazines and right here. We were not disappointed.

The greeting at the airport was efficient, and we were at the front desk in 35 comfortable minutes. The roadside scenery is not the usual Caribbean display of poverty and shacks. As you leave Cancun and get into the area of Playa del Carmen the road feels largely empty. The entrance to the hotel is a huge concrete, glass and steel structure that frames a gorgeous lagoon and villa scene. A five minute, very bumpy ride gets you to the front desk, where an almost surreal level of service presides.

After a quick check in with a lovely female staffer, you are escorted to an elegant boat and driven to the dock of your room. We booked an oceanfront suite, about a six-minute cruise through a jungle lagoon surrounded by teak and glass casitas. The suite consists of an ell-shaped space, the bed and a seating area along the glass doors to the terrace overlooking the beach, and a dining/bar area at the entrance. The baths are large and elegant -- double sinks, round tub, an open shower with a pedestal, all lit through full-length windows opening to a small rock garden and privacy fence. There is a safe, and good hanging space in the closet, but clothes storage shelves are skimpy. Big drawers would have been useful under the makeup console. The beds are awesome (Hastens I think).

It is clear every staffer at the hotel has received serious and excellent hospitality training. They seem to do everything never to use the words "No" or "I'm sorry." Any reasonable request will be met. I arranged a tennis session with a pro, spa appointments, and even to be served a steak while watching the Superbowl in the bar area without a hitch.

Our plunge pool was small but nice and warm. The pool at the beach is lovely, with a great lunch menu and absolutely fawning and perfect service. The sun angle made our private deck shaded after about noon, so we used the pool deck every day for drinks and lunch and sunning. Some screaming kids put an edge on the last day, but a 20-minute foot massage listening to the ocean soothed that!

The golf course is a beauty. Like most Caribbean courses, with the wind up it can be a bear, but I managed to break 80 easily from the backs without much of a struggle -- the shot values are classic, and the greens were very fast and true. The PGA was coming the next week, so conditioning was ballistic. There are some very long walks between holes, and I saw no caddies, but the GPS screen on the cart was very helpful when it worked, which was most of the time. Good practice range and short game area, excellent pro shop, serviceable bar and snacks.

The food at the three restaurants is very good. The sushi bar has a small variety of fish, but it is impeccably fresh, cold and clear. The rolls were excellent. The main restaurant surprised us -- we both had roast suckling pig from the regular menu, and it was a tender, delicious rectangle of meat, with a crisp skin and a developed, complicated sauce. Lunches of seviches and salads at the beach were all terrific.

The only negatives at the Rosewood are: 1) the distance from the main house and lower-tier rooms to the beach, and from the beachfront suites to the main house and spa. You seldom wait for more than 4 or 5 minutes for a golf cart, but you don't want to forget anything! 2) Another issue is the beach -- the water is generally calm and very shallow. You have to go pretty far out to swim, and except right in front of the pool, the bottom goes from sand to slimy rock fast. 3) The seemingly isolated resort is, in fact, surrounded by hotels as far as the eye can see, and some are pretty ugly. The guests at these hotels walk and jog up and down the beach in an endless (if not vast in numbers) procession of etiquette-free gawkers. Sitting on our deck by the ocean was like being in a shop window on Madison Avenue. People didn't just glance at us, they stared, with crooked necks and gaping mouths, from 10 yards away. The hotel staff was fast to prevent them from setting up shop on our beach or ever coming anywhere near the room, but there was no sense of privacy whatever from 9 AM to sunset, except in the room with the curtains mostly closed. Not much the hotel could do about that! What feels like a tranquil jungle inside the resort is more like a South Beach strip hotel once you're on the beach. Still, it did not distract from the lovely setting or our enjoyment once we got used to it.

This is a unique and great property. The prices are incredibly high for Mexico, but I guess they figure extortionate rates and lower occupancy vs. merely high rates and higher occupancy is a balancing act. It's not great value for the money, but if money is not an object, it's a great experience for your memories. I would return for a long weekend again in a heartbeat, thought if the prices go up even a dollar, I'll look elsewhere next year!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeONYC
Austin, TX
Reviewed January 17, 2010

After reading Trip Advisor for weeks prior to selecting this property sometime in September, I thought it only fair that I join and comment on after my trip so that others who may also be considering the Rosewood for their honeymoon or special vacation have the opportunity to read the latest and greatest from real travelers just as I did. While my review may be a bit scatter-brained, and during parts mention the few negatives, I cannot emphasize enough that I am a fairly well-traveled and a VERY particular person, and that the bottom line is that I would HIGHLY recommend this place to anyone who really likes (and just as or more importantly doesn't mind paying for) what I believe to be perhaps the finest trip money can buy. So, here goes it...

1.) While most reviews mention the service, it really should be mentioned again. Five Star, A+++, service. If I had a dollar for every "it is my pleasure" I heard during the trip, it probably would already be paid for! They know your name, know your ordering tendencies, and more importantly, strive to make sure that every request is not only met, but met with a big smile and in a very timely fashion. I have told people upon my return to Texas this afternoon that if I called and told them I need someone to hold my book and turn the pages as I read on the beach, it would have been arranged in a matter of mere seconds. Sure you are paying for it, but these guys and gals really do make you feel like they care.

2.) The resort is not near as spread out as I feel as though others make it seem. My biggest fear in going was that staying in the lagoon suite (least expensive room) would be a pain as we would be too far from the beach. That was not at all the case. While we used the carts on occasion, had they not been available we would have never complained. If you are going to stay in the least expensive rooms, I highly recommend you to try to stay in the rooms in the 300 range. They are in the exact middle of the property, and no more than a five or six minute (beautiful and peaceful) walk to either the beach or the main restaurant/spa. We were in 318, and aside from the convenience had absolute privacy in our back yard. The shower, outdoor shower, plunge pool, room etc were all as good (or maybe even better) than advertised, and even after looking inside three other (and more expensive) rooms decided that 318 was just perfect for us.

3.) The food was good, not great. That said, admittedly I am a pretty big food snob. We thought that the breakfast buffet was very good and consistent, though we did grow a bit tired of it on days six and seven. The lunches both at the pool and at the main restaurant were not as good, and in our opinion too expensive (though the portions were more than generous). My preference for lunch would have been a little less food, a little more quality. Dinner, like breakfast, was certainly good enough, though the restaurant environment at night was a little blah. We ate one night at Amber at the Mandarin and Safron at Banyan Tree. The hotel provides transportation, and the food and environment in both instances in our opinion exceeded that of the Rosewood (however, the trips over there further reinforced just how nice the Rosewood property itself was as the grounds and attention to detail throughout the resorts simply put were not even comparable). We also went into Playa three times for dinner (La Parillia=good local Mexican-- not fine dining, but good food and a very fun night, Negrosal--- don't go--- after going there I was/am very surprised that Rosewood has it on its recommended list as it was perhaps the biggest disappointment of the trip, and Yaxche= local Mayan-- again not fine dining, but good food, and quite a bit of fun). Our plan was load up on breakfast, get through lunch, and have a big dinner. In all instances, the dress was surprisingly more casual than both my wife and I prepared for.

4.) While they allow children there, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to take them (or for that matter, that any kid would really enjoy it). I think that while the website photos do a wonderful job showing the architecture etc, they do not provide proof of just how relaxing and or quiet this place is (and presumably is meant to be). The beach is not much as far as recreation as there are large quantities of rocks and very minimal waves, and the accommodations lend themselves much more to the honeymooning couple as opposed to the family of five. On a couple of occasions we heard families complaining of their kids running out of things to do to the staff. I guess all I can say is that when I was twelve I had no appreciation for $30 breakfast buffets or private outdoor showers. People, take your kids to Disney Land!!!

5.) In closing, here is just sort of an off the top of my head list of other things of concern or question I remember reading on this site, and what my experience with them was: We had no issues with bugs. We were offered a discounted upgrade, but nothing like I had read about in the past-- again, after looking at other rooms we could not have been any more thrilled with 318. Playa the city was to us a bit of a disappointment. Lots of junky craft stuff and tacky t-shirts. I am still trying to figure out what is so "European" about it, and believe that aside from an opportunity to get away from the resort the typical Rosewood guest would only enjoy and occasional dinner there and perhaps one night of window shopping. We felt safe the whole time. We took a number of cabs, and were always surprised at not only how friendly everyone was, but also how well everyone's English was. The spa was amazing. We received a number of treatments, and not only enjoyed them, but also the steam/shower/grounds etc. Again, attention to detail here is as far as I have seen one of a kind.

I think for now that is it. If I remember more, I will try to figure out a way to get back online and let you guys know. I cannot emphasize enough how much fun we had, and what a wonderful escape it was for us. I look forward to visiting other Rosewood properties as the opportunities present themselves, and am hopeful that this helped answer any questions that you may or may not have had...

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank BAC46
chicago
Reviewed January 12, 2010

My husband and I visited Rosewood Mayakoba during the first week of December. We have been to Mexico several times, including the Riviera Maya area. We usually use our hotel as a launching pad to discover the surroundings. But this time, from the moment we entered the property until the cab picked us up at the end of our stay we did not want to leave the resort. Everything was top notch. After check-in you are whisked away in a private boat to your room on the lagoon with your Butler waiting for you outside your room...this is the most amazing way to begin your vacation. Our butler was so nice and helpful and introduced us to our room. I believe we were in a regular lagoon room but it was more like a small apartment/suite...I've never taken so many showers in my life since I could not get enough of the outdoor shower. And the private 2nd level sun deck was a nice touch. We spent the early morning and late morning hours on our private outdoor area enjoying our plunge pool.

I usually do not think you need to spend so much money on a high end property in Mexico since you can usually get superb service without spending so much money but in this case I have to say it's absolutely worth every penny. The spa was one of the nicest I've ever seen and the restaurants/bars are gorgeous. The food in the main restaurant was not amazing; we preferred the ocean front restaurant. There were some service glitches here and there but they were so minimal; it was irrelevant. You are taken to the beach in a golf cart since it's quite a distance from the rooms (unless you are ocean front) but this didn't bother us in the least; it was quite fun. The staff got to know us after a couple of days and felt like they really cared about making our stay the best ever. Even the lifeguards inquired about our stay and took us to a reef just off the beach in a kayak for some snorkeling. Do not hesitate if you are thinking of going to this property. Keep in mind, this is not a 'party' atmosphere, it's more about relaxing and escaping but you are just about a 15 minute taxi cab ride from Playa del Carmen where we went one night to party. So, in summary, it was one of the most beautiful resorts we've ever stayed in and highly recommend it.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maggychicago
NYC
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Spent five nights at the Rosewood mayakoba in early August. The suites (practically a large apartment) are incredible. We had a spa suite which was the most gorgeous duplex. Very quiet, beautifully decorated. The hotel was fairly empty and the service was impeccable. One day we had the entire main pool to ourselves! Food in the restaurants was excellent and the breakfast was incredible. We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We spent six wonderful nights at the Rosewood Mayakoba this December and had the best vacation of our lives. The campus and service even beat Las Ventanas, the Rosewood property in Los Cabos, where we took our honeymoon a few years back.

We had a deluxe lagoon suite and although it was not on the ocean, it was incredibly beautiful and serene. The suites are top-of-the-line luxury. The private plunge pool overlooked the lagoon. Inside, there was a living and dining room, beautiful bedroom, changing area and plenty of closets, guest bathroom, enormous bathtub in the master bathroom, along with an indoor shower, a private outdoor shower, and roof deck. I particularly loved the outdoor shower and wish there was some way I could have one in my condo in NYC!

We were a short walk from the Spa and one of my favorite things was the 8:00 a.m. class. It was a FANTASTIC workout and a little different each day (arms, abs, yoga, etc.). The gym and sauna/steam room/showers were also great. I particularly loved the showers that had one side that was glass and looked into what is best described as a tropical courtyard (although 100% private).

We were also a short walk from the main dining room, central pool, tequila bar, game room, lobby and shops. The breakfast was included with our room and it was amazing -- a combination of a buffet and ordering off a menu (you could order as much as you want) -- and anything you could possibly want was there. Try the "green juice," which is so yummy. I miss it already. We also had some great dinners on the resort -- and of course a lot of appetizers and cocktails while at the pool.

The beach and beach pool was a short and fun ride on a golf cart. I thought I would be annoyed by having to get a ride to the beach, but it was so fast (the carts come by every few minutes) and it is fun and a good way to see the campus.

One of the best parts of going to Mayakoba was the service. Nothing short of fantastic! We had two main butler (Russell and Ale) and they were so personable and took great care of us. In fact, all the staff, from maintenance workers and ground staff to the managers, were so friendly and welcoming. We left completely spoiled.

We had dinner one night at the Mandarin next door and the Rosewood staff will drive you there and the Mandarin staff will drive you back. I thought the food was just okay, but it was worth it to check out the resort, which is very beautiful and grand. We also spent an evening in Playa del Carmen, which was a lot of fun. We had drinks at Mosquito Blue and then dinner at Yaxche, a Mayan restaurant.

Great days trips are to the Mayan ruins. Tulum is about 30-45 minutes from the resort and Chichen Itza is about 2.5 hours away. The resort has an arrangement with a rental car company and the car was dropped off for us. We did Tulum one day and Chichen Itza the next. It could not have been easier.

The Riviera Maya is a beautiful place to visit. It was an easy 3 hour flight from New York City to Cancun and then a short drive to the resort (they picked us up). Now is a great time to visit because people are not traveling to Mexico as much because of the Swine flu scare and the drug violence (that's in another part of Mexico and we felt 100% safe in the Riviera Maya, including walking around Playa del Carmen at night).

In short, this new resort has lived up to the Rosewood reputation and we'll definitely be going back very soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nyctrinity
NYC
Reviewed December 26, 2009

2 NYer's were looking for the perfect hideaway for our honeymoon and we found it here. The key was getting a suite ON the beach. The whole place is beautiful but the rooms on the lagoon are facing just that - a man-made lagoon. The 2-tier suites that face the ocean and give you a panoramic view of the ocean - is okay. BUT - to hear the waves all night and to have a HEATED plunge pool AND to be about 10 STEPS from the ocean - you should stay ON the beach in a beach suite. You will not be disappointed. The help is great, like other reviewers said - they DO know your name after a few days. The room service was timely, and delicious. The restaurant had a wider menu and while fairly empty - was awesome. We had the best Thanksgiving meal ever there!
You get around the property by waiting a moment for a golf cart or calling for one to pick you up - and then you get scooted to the spa, restaurant or front for a taxi into town.
The rooms are beautiful. the grounds are as well.
Overall - there was nothing the least bit negative about this place. But remember - for the ultimate - stay ON the beach.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple