We spent six wonderful nights at the Rosewood Mayakoba this December and had the best vacation of our lives. The campus and service even beat Las Ventanas, the Rosewood property in Los Cabos, where we took our honeymoon a few years back.
We had a deluxe lagoon suite and although it was not on the ocean, it was incredibly beautiful and serene. The suites are top-of-the-line luxury. The private plunge pool overlooked the lagoon. Inside, there was a living and dining room, beautiful bedroom, changing area and plenty of closets, guest bathroom, enormous bathtub in the master bathroom, along with an indoor shower, a private outdoor shower, and roof deck. I particularly loved the outdoor shower and wish there was some way I could have one in my condo in NYC!
We were a short walk from the Spa and one of my favorite things was the 8:00 a.m. class. It was a FANTASTIC workout and a little different each day (arms, abs, yoga, etc.). The gym and sauna/steam room/showers were also great. I particularly loved the showers that had one side that was glass and looked into what is best described as a tropical courtyard (although 100% private).
We were also a short walk from the main dining room, central pool, tequila bar, game room, lobby and shops. The breakfast was included with our room and it was amazing -- a combination of a buffet and ordering off a menu (you could order as much as you want) -- and anything you could possibly want was there. Try the "green juice," which is so yummy. I miss it already. We also had some great dinners on the resort -- and of course a lot of appetizers and cocktails while at the pool.
The beach and beach pool was a short and fun ride on a golf cart. I thought I would be annoyed by having to get a ride to the beach, but it was so fast (the carts come by every few minutes) and it is fun and a good way to see the campus.
One of the best parts of going to Mayakoba was the service. Nothing short of fantastic! We had two main butler (Russell and Ale) and they were so personable and took great care of us. In fact, all the staff, from maintenance workers and ground staff to the managers, were so friendly and welcoming. We left completely spoiled.
We had dinner one night at the Mandarin next door and the Rosewood staff will drive you there and the Mandarin staff will drive you back. I thought the food was just okay, but it was worth it to check out the resort, which is very beautiful and grand. We also spent an evening in Playa del Carmen, which was a lot of fun. We had drinks at Mosquito Blue and then dinner at Yaxche, a Mayan restaurant.
Great days trips are to the Mayan ruins. Tulum is about 30-45 minutes from the resort and Chichen Itza is about 2.5 hours away. The resort has an arrangement with a rental car company and the car was dropped off for us. We did Tulum one day and Chichen Itza the next. It could not have been easier.
The Riviera Maya is a beautiful place to visit. It was an easy 3 hour flight from New York City to Cancun and then a short drive to the resort (they picked us up). Now is a great time to visit because people are not traveling to Mexico as much because of the Swine flu scare and the drug violence (that's in another part of Mexico and we felt 100% safe in the Riviera Maya, including walking around Playa del Carmen at night).
In short, this new resort has lived up to the Rosewood reputation and we'll definitely be going back very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rosewood Mayakoba is situated on the Riviera Maya. This luxury resort in Mexico offers spacious suites and is located south of Cancun and north of the charming seaside village of Playa del Carmen. Surrounded by the emerald embrace of the jungle and caressed by warm Carribbean breezes, is a resort of rare luxury and indulgence. Rosewood Mayakoba is imbued with the unique spirit of Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. A journey to this serene world, immersed in the dense green perfume of the jungle, captivates the soul with unimaginable tropical beauty, and pure, simple refinement. The ecological enclave of Mayakoba is a new, enlightened model of true luxury hospitality that celebrates the land without compromising it. Mayakoba embraces the government restrictions on development and mangrove preservation which has always been a top priority for the developers and designers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Rosewood Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rosewood Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Rosewood Mayakoba Playa Del Carmen
- Rosewood Mayakoba Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico