“Excellent Resort!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Excellent Resort!!”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We went for 6 days on July, for our Anniversary. We booked the tranfer from the hotel (I must say that this is good only when you are arriving because that guarantice that they will be waiting for you for check inn with frozen mojitos...when leaving take a regular taxi that is 30% the value of the hotel transfer and it is just the same..).
They gave us an upgrade from a Lagoon suite to a Ocean view suite...GREAT!!
The room was huge, with separate living room, balcony, an upper floor wtih a round day bed, a big plunge pool with warm water, everything was perfect!
The staff is very friendly, they call you by your name.
We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for the golf cart to take us to the lobby.
The beach is very nice, you can snorkel in a reef that can be easily reach with the canoes.
The nicest rooms seem to be the beach front, they are right on the beach (but they are smaller than the rest). We would prefer one of those if we go back, choosing the first ones that are close to the services areas (600 to 608).
The restaurants are all good and the food very afordable.
The best is the breakfast!!
Just go!! you will love this place

3 Thank Pam70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2009

The Rosewood Mayakoba Resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico, was the destination for our annual family excursion this year. What a fabulous trip! There aren't enough gushy adjectives to describe the hotel, its restaurants, the beach, and the service.

A hotel representative and cars and drivers were on hand in Cancun to meet us at the lovely international airport--a shiny, air-conditioned Mercedes SUV for us and another SUV for the luggage, golf clubs and scuba gear. If you have any trepadations about the drive to the resort, put them aside. It was a short 30-45 minute drive on a four-lane divided highway. Our driver was excellent, and the ride was most comfortable.

The bad press Mexico has received worked to our advantage. Our accomodations were upgraded to two commodious luxury suites, each with plunge pools and numerous balconies.

Food in all of the restaurants was delicious. Breakfast at Casa del Lago was an eagerly anticipated event every morning. Starters consisted of a lavish buffet that most hotels would have considered more than adequate for a complete meal. But not the Rosewood Mayakoba. Entrees are ordered from the menu and prepared individually. By special arrangement, this feast and breakfast via room service were included in our room charge.

Due to the low occupancy in the resort, dinner was served alternately in two restaurants: Casa del Lago for fine dining and Punta Bonita for less formal dining. Both were outstanding. While I have read negative comments about the value and quality of these two restaurants, I must disagree--that was not our experience. We enjoyed wonderful food for prices that equaled what one would pay in any major city. We also had drinks and light fare at Agave Azul Raw Bar, which was also delicious.

The swimming pools, lagoons, extensive grounds, and beach were totally wonderful. Everything was sparkling clean.

Service was excellent--exactly what is expected in a five-star setting.

Our eight-year-old granddaughter loved the Kids' Club, the swimming pools, the beach, their plunge pool, and everything else at the resort.

We were all sad to leave and would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank TravelCritic_9
Montreal
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Although very different from the three Rosewood Caribbean resorts we have enjoyed (Caneel, Jumby, and Little Dix) Rosewood Mayakoba Riviera May, Mexico did not disappoint us. From our arrival to our departure our five day stay was excellent. The small things like the boat ride to our suit, the yummy treats and cool scented towels pool side added to our experience. Add to this a staff which there are no words to describe food ( on every menu) by far the best I have ever tasted, who could ask for more? If only my pictures came close to showing just how beautiful this resort truly is!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KDBMontreal
Houston
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Every member of the staff went out of their way at all times to be helpful, gracious, and friendly. Oftentimes we were greeted by name and always with a smile. It seemed to us that the management and staff were keen to deliver a level of service that was incomparable, anticipating and fulfilling our every wish. Kudos especially to the concierge staff, front desk staff, Casa Del Lago staff, Club de Playa staff, and our english butler. Here's a tip - go NOW!!! Since the resort was only 20% occupied at the time of our vacation (July 10-14, 2009), we were treated to a free room upgrade from the room we reserved for $400/night to one that normally goes for $900/nite. And what a room it was, 100 feet from the beach with a beautiful view of the lagoon from our private plunge pool. We will never again experience such bliss and happiness - until we return for our next vacation.

1 Thank KnightsTemplar
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We've been very fortunate to have travelled extensively, and we have to say this resort is as good as it gets. We felt like family. A place where everyone knows your name. "With pleasure" is heard over and over. Amazing suites, attentive staff. We're ready to go back.

2 Thank travler153
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Rosewood for our honeymoon and we could not have had a better experience. We are both well travelled and have stayed at 5 star resorts all over the world. I usually do not write reviews, but this resort was that impressive. We were upgraded to a beach villa, but all the villas were amazing. Even the cheapest of all the rooms is still a villa with pool. The service was amazing and we were greeted by name daily. The food was amazing(we are also food wine snobs) and the wine cellar had a great selection. I love playa, and will probably not ever stay anywhere else except the Rosewood. I promise you will not be disappointed!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foodie-winelover
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We just got back a few days ago and I am excited to say you will LOVE the Rosewood along with the other Mayakoba resort just next door, the Banyan Tree. The two resorts combined perhaps make up the finest destination on the planet for a vacation. People always talk about Thailand and Asia as the finest but when you can be at your destination in a short plane flight and arrive in pure paradise this is where it's at! We spent a week at the Rosewood and although we did not stay at the Banyan Tree we ate a dinner there and also got a tour of the rooms and property.

All the reviews are spot on about beauty, service, location and amenities...it does not get any better and these hotels put most 5 star hotels world wide to shame. First of all and very quickly, anyone who has concerns about health issues, safety or swine flu should leave the United States and move down to this location......it is one of the most pristine places you will ever go to. The airport in Cancun is spotless......the media has blown all of these issues out of proportion and do not believe a word of it! Even Playa del Carmen was spotless. We couldn't find a piece of garbage on the ground. It is a shame these people have been losing jobs and businesses because of this. I have been traveling to this region for almost 30 years and I have always felt healthy and safe no matter where I have stayed. Thankfully the crowds seemed to be picking up the last part of our trip.

That said, here are some highlights that might make you consider staying at this hotel. It is now a no brainer for us, we will be back.

* Easy to get to. 30 minute drive from Cancun airport. 10 minutes North of Playa del Carmen, so if you want action it is very easy to get to. It now costs 17.00 from this resort to Playa each way not including tip. Upon arrival you feast your eyes to one of the most beautiful resorts available. We used USA Transsfers/Entertainment Plus Co. You pay when they pick you up at airport and its 90.00 round trip. Check out their web site. Cabs are more as is the hotel car.

*Check in is a breeze and it is so much fun to take in all the beauty. You start relaxing immediately.

*The food is the finest I have ever had at a hotel. I thought it was better than any Ritz or Four Seasons we have been to. Anything can be prepared off the menu if you have any special dietary needs. The breakfasts were fabulous as well as the beach side food. We ate one night at the Banyan Tree Thai restaurant and loved it...plan on spending 200.00 for two people. I am sorry to say we did not eat at Casa del Sol due to many trip adviser reports but we will definitely give it a try next time. We ate at a great restaurant in Playa one night and found the food and service to be wonderful...Cocina 38. Right on 5th Ave and 38th. Nothing fancy but very good food.

* I find the Rosewood hotel and the Ritz Carlton Cancun the only hotels around the globe to make Margaritas EXACTLY the way I like them... using no synthetic mix and adjusting the sugar level any way you want it...Bravo on this. Don't complain that drinks are pricey at these resorts, how do you think they pay for this heavenly arrangement. Margaritas are 17.00 each and other drinks less. If you are trying to save money in this department stock up at a store on the ride from the airport and put in your fridge but it is vacation and part of this price is the outrageous service. There were some fabulous wines which is usually a no go in Mexico. Every night they have a special theme to check out, wine and cheese tasting, tomato night, Greek night and so forth.

* The spa is the best I have ever been to and I am a spa junkie. It puts some of the well known U.S. ones to shame. It's not too big and not too small...just right and you can use it when ever you want, not just if you get a treatment like many spas require. I loved the pool at the spa for swimming laps. No one was ever there and it was fun to use. You could go use the sauna, steam, cold or hot plunge pools, seven headed shower, any time also. The gym has state of the art equipment and is wonderful to work out in. I had four different treatments and all were fantastic. The only one that was less than outstanding was the detox wrap. They do not have a Vischy shower and there was nothing in this session that even remotely made you feel healthier, hardly any rubbing either, and a lot of the time you spend showering off. You might as well use the seven headed shower in the main spa with the salts and oils they give you to rub on your body yourself. That was my only complaint about my treatments. Other than that there is nothing not to enjoy. We got a spa brochure from the Banyan Tree and I am sorry we did not spend a day over there for treatments also. They had a huge variety and the spa looked unbelievable. Again, how nice to be able to use two different spas on the property!

*Rooms were amazing as every one has said. We were upgraded from a lagoon beach side to an ocean view beach side...basically the difference was huge...the ocean views sit on top of the lagoon beach side rooms and as far as I am concerned had the very best views of any of the rooms, along with the most privacy. You sit up real high and your plunge pool over looks the entire span of blue ocean not just the patch in front of you like the beach front ones. I would now always book the ocean view ones when we return. When you walked by the beach fronts you could see right into their rooms unless they had the curtains closed, so this kind of defeats the purpose of having that view. Not that I was looking in peoples rooms but when you walk the beach you do tend to look at the rooms. The ocean fronts are also smaller and do not have a big outside private space, they also do not get the sunset like the ocean views do each night. That said, the price is almost the same and each person will certainly have their own preference. The real biggies are the deluxe ocean views, they are huge and look amazing for a bigger family. The beach side lagoon rooms looked dark with no light at all, we were glad to have been upgraded Their only plus was being very close to the beach itself like the ocean views. All of this said, any room in the resort would be wonderful. Look at the hotel map and you will get an idea of where things sit.

* We got a tour of the Banyan Tree rooms next door and they will also knock your socks off...much larger spaces, almost like suburban town homes with Asian flare. Huge pools, separate living room house, gigantic bath rooms, amazing closets and a kids bedroom and bath room upstairs that is enormous, your own grill and extremely private. The only draw back in my opinion was the darkness of the decor. Lots of the furniture was dark and heavy feeling. Again very lovely but I did prefer the Rosewoods contemporary stone and glass look...this is just my preference. I loved the fact that the Banyan Tree had bikes you could ride any where. The Rosewood does not have bikes and I am asking the management to please consider this also.....this is a must at this resort. Just in case your interested in the pricing of the Banyan Tree rooms they told us they were lower priced now than usual due to low occupancy. The two bedrooms went for 800.00++ and they said they normally start at 1200.00++. Beach front suites were much more expensive.

*We saw plenty of kids at the resort and the kids corner (for ages 3-10) looked wonderful. It is right next to the beach pool so a perfect set up for kids to keep busy and then also hang out by the pool. All the kids that we saw there were super well behaved...have no fear on this.

*The beach is wonderful. Some days you would have some floating seaweed and some areas were rocky but for the most part you can walk for over 20 miles and find tons of heavenly sand and gorgeous strips of water every where. You will see how the area has grown but they keep a height restriction in this region unlike Cancun which really keeps the charm. The Rosewood beach set up is fabulous. Cabanas are free if you desire some shade and there is not a bad spot any where near the pool or beach. I do think it probably gets crowded during high season though. Sandra and Gabriel are outstanding servers. Their personalities beam happiness. The big pool near lobby is amazing and as everyone says it rarely gets used. We used it once just to experience the grandness of it...the cement chairs that sit in the water are amazing to tan on. Do give it a whirl.

* There is a little secret if you like fishing and do not want to do the boat charter thing and drive 30 to 60 minutes to your location. My husband did a charter out of Aventura. This tour was recommended by the concierge and..... NOT a good choice. After driving 45 minutes to get to the charter my husband found out every one else had canceled and he was the only one going out.....no problem, except no one on the boat spoke English and not once did they talk to him or ask him if he needed any thing. He also said they didn't go out far and no fish were caught like they usually do in this area...total rip off. We wished we had listened to Trip Adviser advice on this one. The consolation was the fishing he did with the life guard Rafael (Rafa) at the Rosewood. Thank you Villa for this tip...you are also a very special man! Rafa will bring you out on a small Cat just past the reef (no charge) but please tip well. My husband caught the biggest fish of his life (about 35 pounds) and he had a blast. Rafa is an amazing guy and one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He will help you with kayaks and snorkeling gear also. They do not charge for any of this but I would encourage tipping these people well as they are extremely generous and kind. So if your not up for a charter just go out with Rafa right from the property, you wont be disappointed.

* The entire Mayakoba complex is eco-friendly and the architecture is built to work hand in hand with nature and the preexisting environment. Pictures do neither of these resorts justice for this reason...They are much better in person. Both resorts are truly 5 stars. I laugh when I see people say the Royal Playa Del Carmen in town is 5 star, we have stayed there also and believe me that hotel is like a 2 star compared to the Rosewood or Banyan Tree.

The golf carts work nicely although I am sure during high season you can end up waiting for them...This is why there needs to be bikes! We tipped every time we rode but I can tell they do not expect it...again the charm of good service.

* We did not use the butler service but I am sure they can come in handy if there is something you need done. Running errands on vacation can be tedious.

To conclude I would like to say that the Rosewood vacation was our best yet and we will surely return. Thank you to their wonderful staff for making this happen. Thank you Trip Advisers for providing useful information helping me in my choices for travel!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple