“We want to go back....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore
“We want to go back....”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This fabulous resort in near Cancun is part of a complex of 4 new hotels called Mayakoba. The rooms can be reached by ferry on the lagoon (shared by all hotels) or by golf cart. Our room came with a personal butler who explained all the amenities that came with our room.
The bathroom had a huge tub and a circular shower but couples also have the option to bathe in the outdoor shower in the back. The room also came with a Nespresso machine, which was a welcome treat after the watered down versions we had in Mexico City.
The resort had 3 restaurants, including a Japanese sushi bar serving pairings of mescal and sushi. We opted to eat at the restaurant near the beach, which served delicious Mexican fare. In the evening we feasted on a wide variety of tacos while being serenaded by some local musicians. The main restaurant serves International fare as well as breakfast. It was the best breakfast spread we had on the trip, with a large selection of cold cuts, cheeses and pastries (must try: citrus glazed cronuts) and made- to-order dishes like lobster omelette and huevos rancheros.

The beach is a stretch of white sand but the strong waves and rocky bottom did not really encourage swimming. We moved to the pool which is heated with bubbling water and covered cabanas for lounging. My daughter loved that the hotel has a cart of snow cones with a variety of sweet syrups like vanilla, coconut and pineapple.

It was a shame that we were there just for 1 night. We would love to come back just to enjoy this hotel for a longer period of time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Lourdes A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
Park Slope, NY
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Rosewood Mayakoba is undoubtedly the nicest vacation resort our family has visited. We surprised our two children with this 6 night trip to celebrate a year of their hard work in school and all four of us believe this was the best, most peaceful, luxurious experience we have had.

Once you arrive you know you are in for something special. Check-in is quick, informative and courteous and then they transport you to your suite in a electric boat. Our lagoon suite was near the main lobby and pool but they take you the long way (just a few minutes) and by the time you get there you are completely relaxed and at home. Our butler, Nathan, met us at the room and helped to answer any questions we had. He was amazing our entire stay, just checking on us and making sure we had what we needed our that we were enjoying our relaxing time. He arranged for a private boat tour of the extensive lagoon system which really is a great hour event for the family. He even tried to apologize for the one brief spell of rain we had and offered to have popcorn sent to the room.

The rooms are beautifully appointed. Great outdoor shower, spacious tub that both my children enjoyed bubble baths in (arranged by the staff). Relaxing plunge pool overlooking the lagoon with bird calls that are straight out of one of those sounds of nature cds.

The beach is very nice and you can enjoy the ocean (agree that if you bring water shoes its easier as they have had some recent erosion that has uncovered some rocks). Our family spent hours in the ocean and then also spent time in the infinity pool overlooking the ocean.

The restaurants were all terrific. Casa del Lago was our favorite for dinner. Mexican night at the beach was great and the sushi restaurant was very good as well.

What sets the resort apart is the service. I believe you can find great beaches, nice properties and good food at many places around the world. We have. But we've never found a vacation spot that combines each of those with a level of service that just hits the target with every single interaction, And we're an easy family as all we wanted to do was relax and sit at the beach or in our plunge pool, visit the spa/gym a few times and eat our meals. But every single person we interacted with made our vacation the best one possible. They made us feel welcome and extremely comfortable. Thank you to the entire staff for making this trip such a great experience for our family. We will be back and we will stay longer next time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank CBtripper
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Rosewood. I cannot say enough great things about the staff, service, food and our overall experience at this resort. The car service/driver was waiting right outside the airport - had cold towels and bottled water waiting. Short drive to the resort and there was not a single disappointing moment during the entire stay. Easy check in and lovely boat/eco tour on our way to the room. We stayed in a Beachfront Studio Suite and it was gorgeous. Reserved bikes and rode all around the beautiful property. Ate at all of the restaurants - food was delicious. Had a blast on the golf cart rides - never had to wait more than a few minutes for one to go by our room. Johana (our butler) was so thoughtful and helped us with various reservations, recommendations and whatever things we needed during our stay. I absolutely recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic escape!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are directly on the beach and are a short walk to the beachfront restaurant/bar and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KelleyM968
Dallas
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Truly amazing resort. My gf & I had the most relaxing 6 nights after a long year of working too hard - well worth it. It's expensive but worth it in my books - the rooms are incredible, the privacy is appreciated, the staff is extremely pleasant/awesome, and I could go on forever so I'll stop there. We stayed in the deluxe overwater lagoon suite and we decided we loved it way more than we would have the oceanfront suite. It's a really unique room, every beach resort has beach front rooms - never do you get a beautiful room overlooking a lagoon that is 5 minutes away from an awesome beach. Food was excellent as well, really enjoyed Agaze Avul (sushi/thai). Also, only 15 mins away from Playa Del Carmen and 45 minutes from Tulum. I'm sure I'll find my way back there again in the near future.

Biggest tip I have is that the beach is rocky, bring water shoes and you'll be generally unaffected by them. The rocks may have been part of the reason why no one was typically in the water - seemed like we were enjoying it all by ourselves!

Room Tip: Love the overwater lagoon suite - we thought about switching to an ocean front and decided we just l...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fehzan
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is my second time at this hotel. We have came back and it is excellent as my first visit. The staff is very nice, the room is big and everything is clean and good. All restaurants served great food. I'm sure we are coming back, my family and I loved it....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank ACJI97
Sextons Creek, Kentucky
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I had one of the most amazing trips at the Rosewood. The location is beautiful, accommodations are amazing and the staff is wonderful. All and all we couldn't have asked for a better anniversary gift. We want to thank our truly wonderful kids for sending us on this once in a lifetime experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank WIlliam C
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 1, 2014

This resort is a giant step up in service and catering than almost any other resort I've stayed. The staff here "get it" and will always go above and beyond to make your stay the best anywhere. The ambiance of this property is very exclusive but without being stuck-up or snotty. The loaner beach cruiser bicycles were one of the highlights for me, I loved riding in the fresh breeze to the restaurants and spa. The rooms are unbelievable! They are practically homes and each features a private plunge pool which is so refreshing. The pools were luxurious and the restaurants had good food. The breakfast buffet was the best food, in my opinion. It was European style complete with fresh cheeses and fruits but full American style breakfast could also be ordered. The beach at this property is not the best I've seen but I hardly noticed with all the other wonderful perks of this property. This is in the jungle so don't forget bug spray. There were a few families that checked in toward the end of our stay which I found a little odd because I think children would be bored out of their minds at this property. I think it is more appropriate for couples or perhaps a girls' spa getaway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends