“Luxurious, Modern, Extraordinary”

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 28, 2008

I have just returned from six days at the Rosewood Mayakoba (my husband and I were there to celebrate our fifth anniversary), and I cannot find the words to adequately describe this incredible place. It was paradise; I cannot recommend it highly enough. Please go if you have the chance--you won't regret, and, like us, you will probably find yourself planning your next visit before you even leave the first time. Before I go into detail, just let me say that I travel a lot and am very picky about hotels, and this is hands-down the nicest resort I have ever visited with the best service. Though we have lots of places we want to see all over the world, we have already agreed to come back here every year--it is that good. (Plus, from Chicago it's a 3.5 hour flight and then a 40-minute ride to the resort, so it's even worth it for long weekends.) Now the details, by category:

1. The suite interior. We stayed in a beachfront suite (they have several types of accommodation, but only the beachfront suites, as I understand, open up directly to the beach), and we would not consider staying in any other type. First, the interior is modern, beautiful, and ridiculously spacious (this would apply to all the suites, not just the beachfront ones). There is a dining area, a huge sleeping area with a massive bed, as well as a couch, chair, and flatscreen tv. The bathroom is an event in itself, with two separate vanity areas, a large closet, and indoor/outdoor shower, and a bathtub larger than most wading pools. While it is a big space, it is nonetheless very warm and inviting as the designer used lots of warm tones and rich woods. It is gorgeous, and no detail was overlooked. We also enjoyed the in-suite Nespresso machine and tea press. On the technology side, there is free wifi, tons of movies on demand, and a Bose sound system.

2. The suite exterior. THIS is the reason we would not consider staying in anything but the beachfront suites, as they open up to a huge private deck with an eating area, two lounge chairs and an umbrella, your very own plunge pool, and, last but not least, the ocean. Although the resort has three separate--and amazing--pool areas, we hardly left our deck. We just didn't feel the need to with our own pool right there (it's about 6 feet wide, 12 feet long, and 4.5 feet deep, I would guess). Even though the temperature was nearly 100 degrees everyday we were there, with a heat index of about 110, we were very comfortable--we would read in our lounge chairs beneath the umbrella, enjoying the strong breeze from the ocean, and when we became too hot, we could jump into our pool mere inches away or walk to the ocean, maybe 50 feet away. It was the best of both worlds. Plus, we were still at our own suite with easy access to the bathroom, the mini-bar, room service, or anything else we might need. At night, we enjoyed falling asleep to the sound of waves.

3. The service. From the driver who picked us up at the airport, to Eduardo who welcomed us upon our arrival and gave us a tour by boat on our way to our suite, to JC , our very own "butler" for the week, to every single person we encountered (housekeeping, room service, restaurant staff), we were endlessly impressed by the level of service we received. Everyone was kind, incredibly helpful, and spoke amazing English (I speak a little Spanish but didn't really need it).

4. The restaurants. We enjoyed a lot of in-room dining during our stay (again, with that great deck, we couldn't pass up breakfast and sometimes dinner on the ocean), but we did visit the main restaurant, the beach restaurant, and the spa cafe and loved the food at each place. We are vegetarian and had a little trouble at the main restaurant as pretty much every main dish contained animal products--which is totally fine. We try to be flexible on vacation and don't expect special treatment; we can always find something. We usually don't even mention our dietary restrictions, not wanting to cause anyone extra trouble, but we had mentioned it to JC our first day when we were discussing food choices. Well, he must have made note of it thereafter because everyone knew. For example, I ordered something at the beach restaurant that contained meat (the description didn't note that), and the waiter came back to tell me about the meat and to suggest an alternative. At the main restaurant, we were just going to order sides and salads, but before we got the chance, our waiter said that he noted that we are vegetarians and that the chef would like to come to our table to discuss options with us (he had great suggestions and--without us even asking--offered to make anything off-menu that we might like). There is also a game room and a tequila bar, though we didn't make it to either...this time.

5. The fitness facility and spa. I used the gym several times, and it was great--all new equipment (3 treadmills, 3 bikes, 5 or 6 ellipticals , lots of weights), fresh towels, snacks, and water, etc. My husband got a massage and thus was able to see the interior of the spa; he said that it was incredible, the massage was one of the best he has received, and the spa's facilities were impressive--a steam room, plunge pools, a sauna, and so forth. After our workouts and/or spa visits, we hung around to swim in the spa pool and enjoy lunch at spa cafe. I highly recommend it.

6. General comments/conclusion. Though we did not participate in any this time, there are several recreational activities offered through or near the resort as well; these include kayaking, snorkeling, wave-running, sightseeing (visiting towns and nearby Mayan ruins), etc. The resort also has its own golf course. This is a phenomenal place--definitely check it out if you have the chance.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank klm11
There are newer reviews for Rosewood Mayakoba

Reviewed September 17, 2008

We stayed at the resort for 8 days and the hotel was empty. 8% occupancy. We were in a Lagoon room, which is BEAUTIFUL and very spacious. However, being on the lagoon we were BIT UP SO BAD. Our 20 month old daughter had bites all over her face and arms (and we sprayed her non-stop with bug spray). One night we had to leave our dinner because the bugs were so bad. AND they only had one dinner choice -- outside. The staff was being bit just as bad.

The food was just average -- our daughter had virutally nothing to eat the whole time. She ate the ham and turkey at the buffet for breakfast and lunch because nothing else tasted good. We had to go to the store to get yogurt because they said they didn't have any. However, when we came back from the store, they kept it until the morning and then brought us the wrong kind -- activia -- and it is not what we bought and made our daughter go to the bathroom non-stop all day. Many means were cold or not cooked properly. I would NOT recommend the food at all.

People who were staying in the beach front rooms had NO problems at all. They are paying more so they are getting different service. We had so many problems that we think they were happy when it was time to go. The staff tried really hard but each person gave us a different answer.

When we arrived they said they didn't have cribs -- only pack and plays. My daughter immediately climbed out of the pack and play and would not sleep there. They ultimately found a crib but we were told by other people that they had a crib in their room when they arrived. Because it is kid friendly and only 2 kids at the whole resort, something was wrong with the story.

I also fell down by the dock in a very unsafe area (the boat driver told me that people fall there daily) and I really hurt myself and they never even asked again if I was ok and wanted me to pay for the aspirin from the giftshop so that I could deal with the pain.

the resort is really lovely and the staff are very nice but we had serious inconsistencies. I am not sure if it will make it if things continue like this.

Thanks and Good luck.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
10  Thank lwindrow
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this beautiful resort along with our 1 year old baby in July. The resort was beautiful and elegant. We have traveled many times to Playa del Carmen and this was by far one of our best stays. Usually we stay at the Royal Hideaway but, with our baby, we had to stay at a family friendly hotel. This was elegant, classy and very family friendly. The food was good but we found to be expensive. We stayed at an Ocean View suite and as soon as you open the door to your suite you have the view of the ocean! We were just steps away from the water. This was very convenient having a small toddler so, If he got fussy or tired we could just walk a few steps and we were back in the room. I cant say enough of how beautiful the view was and how nice and clean the rooms were. One of our favorite was that the hotel offers a complimentary Nespresso machine in every room. The butlers were always at our service and very friendly. Overall this was a wonderful hotel. The service still needs a little work but overall it was a wonderful stay and a beautiful resort. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank valpar
Reviewed August 31, 2008

WOW! WOW! WOW! What an amazing property. My boyfriend and I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Rosewood, where we were treated with impecable service. I have stayed at the finest hotels in the world and I must say this has been my favorite and most satisfying experience. Because I have traveled so much, I have become extremely critical when judging hotels. This hotel sets the bar for any 5 star property. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The suites are beautifully decorated and all have plunge pools. In addition, a butler is at your service, whether it being to make you reservations, pack or unpack your suitcase,draw you a candle lit bath or bring you a free tequila bottle and Fiji water every day. Each and every staff member is eager to help and will do anything possible for you during your stay. They all remember your name and suite number and make you feel very special. The food was excellent and the restaurant service was great. The beach is the most beautiful beach...kiyaks and sail boats were free and the snorkeling tour we went on was the most gorgeous underwater experience. There are golfcarts and Duffy boats to transport you around the property. I suggest the boat, of course, where you go thru the lagoons and can see a crocodile or two if you are lucky. The resort has 128 suites but we hardly saw anyone, we felt like we had our own private vacation. The spa is excellent, the therapists are great and they serve a special juice and a fruit salad after your treatment. If you are willing to spend the money, indulge in the private romantic dinner for two, where you have a candlelit table with firepits and tiki torches around you, right on the beach. We felt like we were on one of those reality tv shows that go on the romantic getaways. It was the most incredible experience. I definitely would choose this resort over any other in Cancun/Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen. If you can splurge, go for the beachfront suite...it's paradise! We will definitely go back to the Rosewood...it was worth every dollar spent!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank awaxie
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba for 4 days at the end of July. We were celebrating our 10th anniversary and wanted to return to the Playa del Carmen area where we had had a good experience on a previous vacation, staying at the Royal Hideaway. We are in our late 30's and vacation 1-2 times a year, but I wouldn't say we are big travelers.

Traveling without our children and for an anniversary, we were looking for something very special. Bottom line: we absolutely loved this resort. Here are the high notes.

The entrance to the resort from the roadway is far nicer than the many you pass coming from Cancun. Its modern and distinctive, and set a great tone for our stay.

The resort buildings and grounds are beautiful. The architecture and design are clean, modern and stylish. The designers used lots of mohogany, fine stone and glass and it really works. There is a beautiful pool at the main buildings, and a second down by the beach, which is a 5 minute golf cart ride from the main area of the resort. Note: If you stay down by the beach, you are dependant on the circulating golf carts to take you to the main restaurant, bars and spa. We stayed in #209, a suite on one of the lagoons and we were a very short walk to everything but the beach (which we rode a cart to) and we were glad we did.

Here's were it really gets good...

The suite blew us away. Lots of space, beautifully designed with tons of sunlight, yet pretty private. This was an over-the-lagoon suite with a plunge pool and garden shower, which is a walk-out from the massive bathroom. Lots of glass and sunlight in the bathroom and garden, but completely private. Other things we loved...6 massive mahogany sliding pocket doors which shut out all the light from our bedroom, spacious living room with flat screen TV, double teak lounger on the deck, AND an input jack for my iPod on the room's Bose sterio.

The gym and spa were just off-the-charts great. Its unbelievable that we had the use of a great gym and massive locker and treatment areas, including sauna, steam, rain shower, cold plunge pool and relaxation room, all at no extra charge. My wife and I spent 1-2 hours every morning before breakfast just because we could. Loved this.

The beach side pool was good. No struggle for a lounger, but this was off season so the place was only 40% full. I was disappointed at the infrequency with which the wait staff checked in with us by the pool. There was an offset though, timely refreshing of my melting ice bucket and complimentary cold face clothes passed out in the afternoon.

The beach was beautiful. Not every resort around Playa has a great beach. Rosewood does.

Lets face it, you care who's in the lounger next to you. The clientele was perfectly reasonable and upscale as you would expect. There were some families with small children but the children were very well behaved in every case.

The staff was great and very courteous. I expected nothing less. Other areas of service were very nice. Make sure you utilize the laundry service because your clothes magically appear the same day, perfectly done and packaged up in cute little logo bands, and thoughtfully put away in your closet! Loved this!

We love food...I wouldn't say this food was world-class, but it was delicious. This is Playa, after all, not New York. Good wine list too. As important, it seemed very reasonably priced.

And I've got to mention the Tequila Bar. Hundreds of obscure and not so obscure tequilas, occasional live music, and delicious appetizers to nibble on, open each evening at 5pm. I thought this was a great idea and really enjoyed it.

That's it. We've raved about this place to anyone who will listen and we'll definitely be back. Do yourself a favor and go.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ASP89
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We spent three nights in room 615, a beachside suite with close proximity to the ocean, closer than the rooms at Las Ventanas in Cabo, and closer than the rooms at the nearby Mandarin resort. The 900$/night plus 27% was a good deal for this beachside room. Property is fully booked during November and December.

Great vibe and great service. Free valet parking. Free internet. The boat to your room is a relaxing touch and we saw three baby crocodiles in the lagoon. The personnel and butlers were fresh faced and less jaded than the employees at Las Ventanas. The fact that it has only been opened 6 months is a plus for everything but the food....

Food: we ate at all the beach restaurants and would rank them in terms of flavor 1. Fairmont, 2. Mandarin Oriental, 3. Rosewood. In terms of atmosphere: 1. Mandarin 2. Rosewood 3. Fairmont is a bit dowdy and outright ugly in comparison. You can walk along the beach to the Mandarin Oriental, Fairmont -- and that was one of the nice things about staying on the beach -- the proximity to the other establishments. And the ability to walk along the beach and dine, then walk home.

Make sure to have your butler draw your bath.

It's really three different resorts: The Lagoon side, the beachside and the Spa island. Most families stayed in the larger lagoon side suites. There was a young twenty something couple in 614 that were nude most of their stay and seemed to enjoy each other. There is other topless activity on the beach so if you have a problem with it or are prudish, better to know ahead of time.

There are only 16 rooms on the sand, all small and really designed for a couple. Room 600 is right next to Beach pool and might be loud but could be good if you bring kids and want to be close to the kids club and kiddie pool. 604 to 615 are all far enough from the pool and very private. 616 connects to the presidential suite, 617 is the main body of the presidential suite, 2 bedrooms, media room, large butler's pantry, plunge pools off both bedrooms.

Both Korn and Seal have stayed in the Presidential Suite.
The master bedroom of the Presidential Villa (618) has a large pool and abuts the Viceroy (currently there was no construction activity). If the viceroy starts construction again, could be some noise. But our dates (aug 21-24) it was at a standstill. Once the viceroy is completed, there will also be more beach traffic. Right now is a good time to visit the rosewood mayakoba.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank spurg
Reviewed August 18, 2008

We returned two weeks ago from a five night stay. The rosewood was one of the most beautiful properties at which we have stayed. Service was very friendly and for the most part prompt. We were with our 2 year old daughter and the hotel was very accomodating to her needs. Beach and pools were very nice. The room was the nicest in which we have stayed. The only aspect I did not enjoy was the food. The breakfast buffet was very good but a la carte items were not as good as one would expect for the prices. Lunch/dinner was once again expensive but the dishes were not very flavorful. Having our 2 year old with us did not allow us to venture out just for food.

I would overall rate the hotel 4.5/5, and give it 5/5 if the food were better. This was a great luxury property if you want to bring kids along. I would not come here for a quiet/romantic getaway during school holidays, as there will be many young children there.

• Stayed: July 2008