“Best hotel ever”

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, CA
“Best hotel ever”
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We went to Rosewood during the first week of June 2008. Really can't say enough good things about it. The rooms are far and away the best of any hotel we've stayed at; large, elegant and tasteful. The bottle of tequila in your room upon arrival is a nice touch. The service is very, very good, the grounds are gorgeous, and the beach is amazing. Some people might see the short tram ride to the beach as a drawback, but we thought that it made no difference at all. The tequila bar is a lot of fun, and that food is very good, if not amazing. The spa is also top notch.

Only downsides: The golf course is a little pricey for what it is, and there's not a ton of nightlife. Nevertheless, we can't recommend the resort highly enough if you're looking for a romantic getaway where you can lie by the pool without a care in the world.

• Liked — Rooms, pools
  • Disliked — Nada
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank We_like_2_eat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
Dallas
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We just spent 4 days and 3 nights with our entire family, 6 adults and 6 children, at the Rosewood. We had 4 of the beachfont suites that were about 50 feet, across a powder fine sand beach, from the waters edge. The suites are very modern, in design, with seemingly no expense spared. I cannot say enough about the management, butler service, wait staff, and in fact every member of the property staff. They were without flaw. Our needs were anticipated, our evey request was fulfilled. The children
wanted a soft drink that was not stocked at the resort. The staff found it, in town, and brought it to us. The chef, at our request, prepared a special meal featuring dishes from all regions of Mexico. It was excellent. Not only was there no parking fee, for our rental cars, the cars were cleaned spotlessly. The property is beautiful.
My one suggestion, for the resort, is to possibly have more casual lunch and afternoon items on the menu at the beachfront restaurant.
I am a customer of Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton and they typically provide an excellent product however, Rosewood Mayakoba takes it to a new level.

• Liked — Ocean front suites, and the service
  • Disliked — distance from shopping
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank PopsDallas
MI
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My new husband and I stayed at the RM from July 22-28 for the first half of our honeymoon. I can honestly say that the RM has the most beautiful grounds and suites of anywhere we have ever stayed. We were on the spa island, the suite, and views from, were to die for. I think we were the only couple staying on the SI so it was very private and quiet. Even if there were couples in the suites on either side of you it is built up in between so you wouldn't really be able to see them much unless you were trying to. Actually, the whole resort was pretty laid back and quiet. It seems to be the type of place to go if you want to just have privacy and peace and quiet. In my opinion they should make it an adult only resort.
The service was wonderful, our private butler was very attentive and prompt. All staff was willing to help in any way they could. Our pool was too warm when we got there and we called to ask for it to be cooled down..the next day it was much cooler and more relaxing.
Most days we ordered lunch in the room, it was always there within 45 minutes and they would come pick up the dishes whenever you wanted.
The food was decent but not spectacular. I didn't have anything at RM that made me think "wow, this is really good". We did a tequila tasting in Agave Azul, which was excellent. I recommend this if you get the opportunity.
FYI: It is cheaper to open a bottle from the mini bar and drink that then to order drinks at the pool. The 200ml of Appleton we drank was $48 as opposed to $15 small margaritas...and everything has a 25% service charge at this resort. So 2 drinks at the pool came to about $40 with service charge and tip. (I didn't feel as if anyone had their hand out for a tip, on the contrary, I felt everyone was very grateful for any tip given... I worked in service for many years in college and would never NOT tip, I consider that very rude and cheap)
We set up a 5 hr tour with one of the drivers from the hotel who took us out for an authentic Mexican breakfast, to Tulum and then to a private beach for lunch. What a great trip that was. At Tulum we were set up with a private tour guide who was very informative and interesting. The beach we went to had excellent food and was so beautiful, it was a perfect day. This service was about $400 plus $100 for tip
In summary, this was an amazing resort, amazing vacation and someplace I hope to go back to in the near future. It is expensive all around but so worth it. If 2 people are going for a week expect to spend close to $2000 just on meals and know ahead of time the food there overall is pretty good but not spectacular.
My hubby and I loved RM...and you have to have a mojito made by Jorge at the martini bar....OMG!!! So good

• Liked — the suites, the views, the privacy, the location
  • Disliked — price of drinks and quality of food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank waterlvr
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 10, 2008

Just returned from a week's stay at the Rosewood with my s.o. I was fairly nervous after reading some the earlier TA reviews, but we found our stay to be enjoyable and very relaxing. We booked through Rosewood's website, and took advantage of a summer discount rate (breakfast included).

The natural surroundings and design of the resort are the true standouts, as others have mentioned. The website photos definitely do not do the place full justice. We stayed in a Lagoon Suite, and found the room to be very spacious. Great indoor and outdoor showers, roof deck, plunge pool, and sitting/dining area. The resort didn't seem anywhere near full capacity, so there was little overcrowding... it was always easy to find a pair of chairs with an umbrella at the beach and pools. Other highlight was the spa/gym complex. The gym is not large, as others have mentioned, but the equipment is decent enough. Even better, though, is the locker room/spa, which features a sauna, steam room, whirlpool, etc. We often ventured over to shower there after working out because it was so relaxing. My s.o. also had a sports massage and was very pleased with it.

Only real drawbacks are slight inconsistency in service, and the price/quality ratio with the food. We found most of the staff to be very friendly and accommodating, but this isn't a place (at least yet) where there's the genuinely proactive guest service many would expect of a resort of this cost. I didn't mind it at all, since the service was always responsive if you asked for something and it was hardly substandard (no major snafus), but it is an area for improvement. Still, the quality of the facilities easily overcame the occasional staff inattentiveness.

The food was much better than I expected after reading some of the other reviews -- solid breakfast buffet with made-to-order entrees, and Azul Agave's ceviche and the offerings at Punta Bonita were good, esp. the warm chocolate cake. Definitely pricey, though. You can expect to spend $70 for breakfast, $70-100 for lunch, and $200+ for dinner; drinks are $13-15 each.

My major tip would be to rent a car. We were very glad that we did. It made sightseeing and venturing off property for other food options very easy since Rosewood has complimentary valet parking. Driving there was much easier than I expected, with good signage.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aej007
NJ
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Rosewood Mayakoba is sensational. My Lagoon View Room was big enough to live in, architectural details stunning: 10' ceilings, floor to ceiling pocket doors that bring the outdoors in, huge indoor tub bath, indoor shower, outdoor shower, private patio, private roof top patio and private personal plunge pool. The resort is quiet, nature oriented, single story and thoroughly modern. Bird life abounds. It is not an enormous hotel, it
is intimate and special. The rooms are spread over many acres.
The staff could not be more accomodating. Each guest has
a personal private butler. The food was excellent and all water
and ingredients purified. The spa is enormous and spotlessly
clean. The beach is pristine and the local sand as soft as baby
powder. The beach provides a wine cooler of ice cubes and water all day long in addition to wet towels to cool.
Tropical Storm Dolly visited on my trip and the resort moved beach front guests farther back to safer rooms during one rainy night.
No attention to detail was spared for a guest's personal safety
on or off the resort. They will collect you at Cancun Airport in
the resort's Mercedes SUV, complete with ice water and cool
towels for the weary arriving traveler.
Ask for suggestions about activities. I visited Tulum, swam with
dolphins and shopped in Playa del Carmen. I was travelling
alone, and not once did I feel in danger or jeopardy in any area.
As an experienced salsa dancer the concierge knew a staff
member who danced in Playa del Carmen. I went to La Bodeguita Del Medio, a Cuban Club, that has a two hour free
lesson. Approximately 50 people showed up and even without
a partner, they rotated dancers so everyone got a basic lesson
and two hours of fun, authentic dance time....they dance their
salsa on one, not two. Is was hot, but it was a great time. There
were kids, older folks and people from everywhere on the globe.
It was people who just liked to dance and have a different kind
of night out.
The resort's website photos do not do justice to the beauty
of this hotel. It is expensive but worth every penny.

• Liked — Beauty of Resort
  • Disliked — Waiting for a golf cart
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank PJP2008
New York, NY
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My wife and I visited the Rosewood Mayakoba from July 13th-19th 2008. The positive is that the property is beautiful. The rooms are really nice and big and all have decent sized plunge pools.

Throughout our stay we found the quality of the food to be poor with high prices. We live in New York, so we are used to paying high prices, but we do expect decent quality food. We ended up eating dinners at the neighboring resorts. The Mandarin Oriental's beach side restaurant, and The Fairmont's Las Brisas were similarly priced to the Rosewood restaurants and were MUCH better in terms of both quality of food and service.

In addition to the poor food quality and service at the Rosewood restaurants, in the evening it seems that all of the restaurants have a major mosquito problem. However, instead of recommending that people sit inside to avoid the mosquitoes, they pretend that the problem does not exist. So, every night people would start eating outside and then end up moving in.

After spending the our last few vacations at Four Seasons resorts, we were expecting the Rosewood to be of similar quality, being that it was similarly priced. Staying here showed me that you do not always get what you pay for. Over the course of our trip we got used to a very mediocre standard of service where in general the staff seemed inconvenienced by even the smallest request and also seemed to always have their hands out for tips. Many of the staff members did not even speak English well enough to communicate simple things like directions to areas of the resort.

Waiters at the beachfront pool are impossible to come by. We tried on several occasions to order drinks. Each time, we received the same reply, “let me get your waiter”. This is not the correct answer at a luxury resort. This is the correct answer at a Howard Johnson's. Sometimes we just had to wait a very long time for any kind of service, and other times, the waiters just never came over.

I actually timed how long it took for a waiter to get to our chairs one day. The funny thing was that he never got there, even though as soon as I sat down I asked someone to send over our waiter. We stayed at the chairs for 45 minutes and didn't see one waiter.

The fitness center is tiny. My wife and I like to go the gym everyday and found that if there were more than 2 or 3 people in the gym that it got very crowded. There were no barbells at all and very few free weights and machines.

My wife and I were very excited to visit this resort and really could not have been more disappointed. Our disappointment was due to the poor food quality and service, which were far below what we have come to expect when paying these kind of prices.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Liked — Nice rooms.
  • Disliked — Poor service.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
48 Thank ogold80075
al1eng
Reviewed July 28, 2008

You'll be hard-pressed to find a better resort in the Caribbean or Mexico. Based on early reviews, most of the 'kinks' have been worked out. We loved this place. You'll spend an arm and a leg, but so what. If you're looking to splurge and not have to go too far, here's your place.

3 cons:
First, mosquitoes - but hey, you're at the edge of the jungle. They do the best they can keeping them down. Second, alcohol sticker shock. $15-18 for drinks is ridiculous. We went out and bought our own stuff. Only other minor negative is kids at the beach pool. They really do change the mood, but not much you can do about it except get up and go somewhere else. Honestly, it's not really a place I'd take my kids.

Everything else was A+. Service was over the top. The suite was perfect. We ate at all 3 restaurants there - food/service/ambience was first class. Breakfast served in the room was a perfect start to each day. We would go back in a heartbeat. The area is being heavily developed, so it may be a different place by next year, but for now it's heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if this resort gets named #1 in the Caribbean by next year in a few of the polls. It's that good.

• Stayed July 2008