“Great resort inspite of rain”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Just back from a week at Rosewood Mayakoba. Wonderful service
made a lovely resort even better. Great accommodation, nice restaurants,
good spa, but the personalized service (nearly always called by name)
was outstanding

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,836)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Amazing, amazing property. Specific Items I loved
* All the fruit and water you could want, included
* Complementary 'refreshers' on the beach (fruit popsicles, bites of chocolate covered cheesecake, Mexican Candy)
* Temple massages, clean your sunglasses, and refreshing snacks included; on the beach
* Cannot say enough about the butler service (Quick tidbit; We went to another property for my sister's birthday and our butler had a cake sent to our table at the end of the meal)
* Nice hiking trail around the property
* Secluded outdoor shower
* Huge, Huge room. There were 3 of us; and we didn't want to share a bed. Plenty of room for a roll away without disrupting the flow of the room.
* The roof had a seating area; sun bathe or read
* Private plunge pool

Mild drawbacks
* Not an easy place to swim if you like the ocean. Make sure you have water shoes. The rocks are hard
* Somewhat limited food choices. But that's everywhere when you go to a tropical destination

Room Tip: I do not think there is a bad room in the place
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank joey1603
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear joey1603,
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay here at Rosewood Mayakoba. It was terrific to read that you felt it we are an amazing property and truly appreciated the constructive feedback regarding the swimming.. Unfortunately we had a storm come through and uncover some rocks in the water.. We are pleased to report that the underwater surface has improved as the sand has returned to cover most of rocks. In addition we are installing an artificial reef system just off shore to ensure we capture even more sand to make it the best possible beach and water exprerience. More to come shortly..
I believe that great vacations are not the sole product of a few marquee experiences, but instead are made great by the hundreds of special moments and little details that accumulate throughout the day. That’s why we place such an emphasis on timely, proactive service, as you experienced firsthand with our butler staff. So great to hear of the personal touches they provided for you.
I hope you have a chance to return to Rosewood someday in the near future, because we would love the opportunity to host you again. Until then, if there’s anything we can do, please feel free to get in touch at your convenience.
Warmest Regards,

Graeme Davis
Managing Director

Reviewed October 30, 2013

First off, the resort is beautiful, service was great, food was great... except for the one meal which gave us food poisoning.

We came down with food poisoning a couple of days into our stay. We hadn't even had the chance to leave the resort. We spent the rest of our trip recovering. I spoke with two different butlers about it. No one really seemed to care; management never inquired about it or apologized. We didn't even get a refund for the meal that made us sick let alone the money we completely wasted for the days we were recovering. I complained to Rosewood corporate and got very little followup as well.

I realize that getting food poisoning there was probably just plain bad luck but the complete lack of concern about it was extremely bad service. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere where management will care if they make you sick.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
49  Thank romkey
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Hello Mr. Romkey.Thank you for taking the time to review your previous experience from February with us. While I was pleased to read you thought the resort was beautiful and the service was great as well as the food, I am very concerned you came down with food poisoining the second day you arrived and felt we didn't care. I researched your feedback from when you stayed back in February and read the comments from the butler that we offered doctor services, provided complimentary beverages to keep you and your partner hydrated.. We did conduct a full inquiry while you were here on property and had no other guests ill.. Gastro intestinal illnesses such as what you had can take days to progress into your symptons and may not have even happened at our resort. So it is very difficult for us to assume that our food caused your illness. We take exceptional pride in that we are fully Crystal certified reaching the highlest level of safety and security for food and beverage handling in the country of Mexico.. We are one of only 135 hotels nationally to receive this certification. Above all food and beverage safe handling and our guest's health and safety is of the utmost importance.. If we have one guest fall ill and it ruins their vacaction, then we have failed in providing an exceptional experience for which we strive for. In your case, we certainly apologize again that you fell ill and felt we didn't follow up. I would be glad to talk to you more in detail and you can reach me by email at Graeme.davis@rosewoodhotels.com so we can discuss what else we can do. We do hope to have a chance to be able to speak.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

stayed here for 8 nights of our honeymoon. stayed in an island suite. we would definitely recommend that room which is basically your own 2 level villa on the water with it's own hottub/pool. super relaxing, great service, very unique setting.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We came here for a destination wedding - wonderful spacious suites and excellent service from the entire team - very impressive. All food, spa, gym, pool and beach options made for a great stay. Better than first-world service. Looking fwd to returning.

1  Thank jovoyvanair
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The RMK was amazing. We stayed 5 nights and we were impressed (5 star) by almost every experience. Our room was by far one of the best we have ever stayed in. The service was by far some of the best we have ever had. The personal butler was willing, and did anything and everything we asked. The beach buttler was amazing. They would bring/replenish our water before we would even ask. They moved the umbrella and put cold towels on our heads with out us asking. In that regaurd they anticipated our needs before we could even think of them. In my view that is true 5 star service.

They offed us a complemetary upgrade upon arrival but we found our original room to be more our taste. The lagoon suite was everything my wife and I could ever want in a room. It was tucked away (couldnt see anyone/hear anyone) it was like we were all by ourselves which for us was what we love. That doesnt mean the service was so far away that it took forever to get things again 5 star on both accounts.

The access to everything was quite easy. We had bikes and rode them most places which added to the fun of our vacation. However, if you need a cart they come every few minutes so if you dont want to pedal the cart is an easy way to get around.

The only reason we cant give this resort a 5 star rating is the food. We found it to be really hit and miss. Breakfast was great (I had the chorizzo burrito and toast every day) the selection was really good and very fresh on all accounts. The staff even remebered my name and preferences and seated me and poured our drinks before we could even order (again 5 star). The bad we had dinner at 2 of the 3 resturants and room service. The 3rd was the upscale resturant and it was closed because it was the low season (that doesnt bother me like it would many reviewers). The food at Punta Bonita was just ok. There were again highs and lows. My wife and i both rated our entire meal as average. Then we went to Agave Azul her food was great (sushi and ceviche) my food was sub par (pad thai). The worst however was the room service. We both had sub par meals. We were both craving some red meat and orderd the kobe beef burger. The burgers were both "pressed/premade" patties that must have been old/freezer burned. With a place this upscale I would have thought they would have a head chef or better culinary experience.

Overall i would not hesitate to go back again. I was worth every penny (the hotel and staff made up for the food). My wife and i look forward to a return trip and other Rosewood properties.

Room Tip: We didnt use the spa so we cant comment on that. If you are looking for secluded location the lagoo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark L
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to experience Rosewood Mayakoba.. I was delighted to read about your Wow moments and to know that overall you had one of your best stays ever. We take particular pride on our service having just won Conde Nast Traveler Magazine's Readers Choice award as the Number 1 resort in Mexico and Number 15 in the world, it is a testament to our employees who care so much for each of our guests and create those exceptional experiences. Unfortunately with your experience we missed the mark in several areas of the restaurants and room service.. I have taken your feedback and shared them with my Food and Beverage Director and can assure you we are following up as we must ensure we create the very best experiences in all areas.. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your details. We do make our own hamburgers fresh blending Prime top sirloin, Kobe, and for extra moist and richness we add rib eye as well. My apologies you received less than exceptional food quality in the burger and the Phad Thai and thank you again for this valuable feedback. I am so glad that overall you won't hesitate to return and do look forward to welcoming you home here at Rosewood Mayakoba. If I can be of any personal assistance please don't hesitate to reach out. Next visit the Burger is on me!!! Warmest Regards...Graeme Davis...Managing Director

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Rosewood Mayakoba was outstanding in every respect. The accommodation was first class as were the amenities. The food was excellent and the service from staff was exemplary. We really enjoyed our holiday and if we return to Mexico this will be the place we will stay.

1  Thank Alan-65 B