“WOW!!!!”

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #2 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The RMK was amazing. We stayed 5 nights and we were impressed (5 star) by almost every experience. Our room was by far one of the best we have ever stayed in. The service was by far some of the best we have ever had. The personal butler was willing, and did anything and everything we asked. The beach buttler was amazing. They would bring/replenish our water before we would even ask. They moved the umbrella and put cold towels on our heads with out us asking. In that regaurd they anticipated our needs before we could even think of them. In my view that is true 5 star service.

They offed us a complemetary upgrade upon arrival but we found our original room to be more our taste. The lagoon suite was everything my wife and I could ever want in a room. It was tucked away (couldnt see anyone/hear anyone) it was like we were all by ourselves which for us was what we love. That doesnt mean the service was so far away that it took forever to get things again 5 star on both accounts.

The access to everything was quite easy. We had bikes and rode them most places which added to the fun of our vacation. However, if you need a cart they come every few minutes so if you dont want to pedal the cart is an easy way to get around.

The only reason we cant give this resort a 5 star rating is the food. We found it to be really hit and miss. Breakfast was great (I had the chorizzo burrito and toast every day) the selection was really good and very fresh on all accounts. The staff even remebered my name and preferences and seated me and poured our drinks before we could even order (again 5 star). The bad we had dinner at 2 of the 3 resturants and room service. The 3rd was the upscale resturant and it was closed because it was the low season (that doesnt bother me like it would many reviewers). The food at Punta Bonita was just ok. There were again highs and lows. My wife and i both rated our entire meal as average. Then we went to Agave Azul her food was great (sushi and ceviche) my food was sub par (pad thai). The worst however was the room service. We both had sub par meals. We were both craving some red meat and orderd the kobe beef burger. The burgers were both "pressed/premade" patties that must have been old/freezer burned. With a place this upscale I would have thought they would have a head chef or better culinary experience.

Overall i would not hesitate to go back again. I was worth every penny (the hotel and staff made up for the food). My wife and i look forward to a return trip and other Rosewood properties.

Room Tip: We didnt use the spa so we cant comment on that. If you are looking for secluded location the lagoo...
3  Thank Mark L
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Mark,
Thank you very much for taking the time to experience Rosewood Mayakoba.. I was delighted to read about your Wow moments and to know that overall you had one of your best stays ever. We take particular pride on our service having just won Conde Nast Traveler Magazine's Readers Choice award as the Number 1 resort in Mexico and Number 15 in the world, it is a testament to our employees who care so much for each of our guests and create those exceptional experiences. Unfortunately with your experience we missed the mark in several areas of the restaurants and room service.. I have taken your feedback and shared them with my Food and Beverage Director and can assure you we are following up as we must ensure we create the very best experiences in all areas.. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your details. We do make our own hamburgers fresh blending Prime top sirloin, Kobe, and for extra moist and richness we add rib eye as well. My apologies you received less than exceptional food quality in the burger and the Phad Thai and thank you again for this valuable feedback. I am so glad that overall you won't hesitate to return and do look forward to welcoming you home here at Rosewood Mayakoba. If I can be of any personal assistance please don't hesitate to reach out. Next visit the Burger is on me!!! Warmest Regards...Graeme Davis...Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,803)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Rosewood Mayakoba was outstanding in every respect. The accommodation was first class as were the amenities. The food was excellent and the service from staff was exemplary. We really enjoyed our holiday and if we return to Mexico this will be the place we will stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan-65 B
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights in October 2013. The service is what you would expect. It was amazing. Every employee you greet waves or speaks to you regardless if they are landscaping, driving a bike, or cooking.

The resort is spread out which is very nice. You really are in your own personal villa. It never seemed crowed at all and we were there when the resort was fully booked.

The personal plunge pool is awesome for a day of relaxing in your own space.

Saphron is the Thai restaurant at the sister property on the compound. They offer free transportation over to it. It was very good with an amazing view with tables on the dock.

I really like at the restaurants when you ordered a cocktail they brought the bottle and poured it in front of you. They would ask if you wanted a little more? For $14 cocktails, I think I do!

The spa is great. Their signature massage is a 90 minute with a coffee scented oil. Do yourself a favor and tell them you do not want the 25 minutes of mild foot scrubs and rubs. It is a waste of time during the massage. I learned this my first time there and told them on this visit and they happily tailored the massage to 90 minutes of true rubbing.

Great stay. Be prepared to spend some cash. Once you get here you probably will not leave the resort so it can add up with meals, drinks, etc but well worth it.

This is our second trip in a year and we will continue to visit the Rosewood Mayakoba.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We just spent a long weekend at Rosewood.
It is a beautiful place where they cater to all your needs. Whether you are in the mood to socialize or you need privacy, this place provides it all. A fantastic pool with an ocean view or a plunge pool outside of your room....it's up to you.
It is a big resort so walking it is a hard task in the sun. But, free bikes are provided on a first come basis and the staff is always looking to give visitors a lift on the golf carts that make the rounds.
My only gripe is the condition of some parts of the resort. The bathroom mirror had some odd streaks down the middle that I could not identify, the siding on the buildings seems to be coming off in some area, and, at least in our room, there were holes in the door where a lock had been replaced. None of these issues are a big deal but not what I expected from such a well regarded place.
Finally, take advantage of the free bug spray............

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This stay was the ultimate experience we have had in our 40 years of travel.
The strike factor was the grandeur of it all.
Accommodation super star comfort.
Reception greeted by the manager Mr Schmidt who welcomes you.
Style all the way and spoilt WHILE YOU ARE THERE.
Staff is very well trained to welcome their guests.
Courtesy and gratitude at every level.
You feel like you are a part of the entire Resort family.
The spa experience is TRUELY one to behold.
Comparably the Oberai hotels Amarvilas and Udaivilas have comparable service.
Congrats to the management of Mr Rand Davis on offering such a high level of comfort and experience at Rosewood Resort.
We will be back SOOOOON IN FULL FORCE.
Rustam and Virginia

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Rustam13
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We thought because this hotel was so "high end" our 6 year old would be unimpressed, even a little bored-...well, the three of us had and unbelievable time- we stayed towards the end of the summer and met family for 5 days of relaxed, luxurious fun! From our airport-hotel transportation (arranged through the hotel) every detail made us appreciate the fact that we were getting the best quality for our money. The staff was accommodating, attentive and courteous, our room upgraded through the Amex Fine Resorts program, the welcome amenities, the boat ride to our exquisite room... The breakfast feast was delicious, our others meals at the hotel really excellent. The attention to detail is what makes this place so amazing... Our son enjoyed the kids club, and making his own pizzas in a rustic oven. We took out the Hobby cat and we enjoyed the beach and the pools and the sun! We have travelled extensively and this hotel is by far one of our top choices for a fun, relaxing, spoiled vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was my first trip to Playa del Carmen, so I cannot benchmark Rosewood with other hotels nearby, but I am confident to say it is difficult to find such an amazing place anywhere near. Moreover I think it is very hard to find more than a handful of resorts in the world with such a good service and attention to details.
Let me start:

SERVICE
- I always think service it is not important if accommodations are good enough. Well this is completely wrong when you encounter such level. Mexicans known to be are "world champions" for slow service and missing requests; well in Rosewood this could not be more untrue. Every request and detail, from a meal order to simple lift on the golf cart was accomplished on a spotless yet kind and refined way. Everyone from the valet parking to the concierge and waiters perform this job in such a delightful way. 10/10 on this

- ROOMS
we stayed on a deluxe overwater suite. I strongly recommend this room, which combines all modern comfort features on generous size, combined with the intimacy of being over the mangrove awaken by beautiful birds and and ducks; yet only 2 mins away from the pristine beach. We visited a more expensive beach suite, which lacked the intimacy (rooms are paired together) and the special feeling of being inside the jungle.

- INFRASTRUCTURE
great modern facilities, with 3 stunning swimming pools and all what you can expect for a top 5star resort.

- FOOD
The Resort has 3 restaurants, each one with its unique stile (Mexican, Japanese, and International Cuisine). The quality of the food was great, even the casual meals on trays brought to the beach tasted wonderful. My only comment here is, I wished we had 2 options of restaurants for breakfast instead of just one. Even though the menu and the buffet where good in size, having the same options 5 days in a row becomes kind of boring (yet tasty).

I strongly recommend Rosewood for couples; but although kids are welcome on the hotel I would not choose it for a family vacation.

Finally, take into consideration that the hotel has only ~160 suites, yet a team (over 550 people) and infrastructure to accommodate a much larger crowd, meaning it is nearly impossible for anyone to feel crowded or having to wait for service, etc.

Room Tip: overwater deluxe suite
1  Thank SuroAB