“Quintessential Hospitality in Paradise”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Manhasset, New York, USA
“Quintessential Hospitality in Paradise”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My wife, daughter (age 10), and son (age 9) stayed at Mayakoba from 8 August to 17 August. The words, "Exceptional", "Incredible", "Beautiful", "Elegant", "Tranquil", "Serene", "Accommodating", "Genuine", "Caring", and "Friendly" come to mind. Having had the privilege of traveling the world extensively and staying in many fine hotels and resorts along the way, I can confidently say that Rosewood Mayakoba ranks among the top. The property itself, which is set amidst a maze of brackish water lagoons filled with wildlife that represents more than 50% of species found in the local ecosystem, is stunning and impeccably manicured and maintained. The beach is pristine, the pools and pool areas spotless, the cabanas and chairs extremely clean and comfortable, and the water sports equipment (e.g., Hobie Wave sailboat) incredibly well maintained. The magnificent rooms are beautifully and tastefully appointed. Perhaps more importantly, the lush property and fabulous rooms are complemented by an outstanding staff - quite simply, lovely, warm people who made our stay exceptional with their genuine caring and desire to make ALL guests feel so welcome and very special by doting without being overbearing or obtrusive. The staff-to-guest ratio is high and the hotel team knows its guests, addressing each person (children included) by name with a highly personal touch. It is clear by the effort put forth by ALL members of the staff, without a single exception, that this is their avocation as much as it is their vocation; they are genuinely pleased to make your stay better. Staff members are highly trained in their profession (and they have perfected their profession as an art) with little touches like handing guests an item such a a credit card, check, or receipt with two hands extended outward, much like one would expect when traveling in Asia.

I nonchalantly asked a question about coconuts to one of the ubiquitous golf cart drivers who whisks guests about the property, giving all a chance to really appreciate the flora and fauna; he sought me out at the pool 30 minutes later with coconuts husked and iced so my children could enjoy coconut milk.

The staff just could not do enough for us. If you wished for something, it just seemed to appear.

Imagine sitting on the beach in the hot sun and having a hotel member offer to clean your sunglasses and give you a complimentary cooling head massage, complete with cucumber slices on the eyes, and a cool towel on the head. It's a bit like what I expect heaven to be like!

We were assigned a delightful butler who unpacked our bags upon arrival and ensured that each item was neatly folded and placed in the closet to the point where our closets and drawers looked like a picture from a high-end store. My wife snagged her bathing suit cover-up on the luggage - no problem, the butler repaired the cover-up. And, I would be remiss if I did not mention that our wonderful butler also packed all of our bags for departure.

Finally, I must mention the housekeeping staff. Aside from maintaining immaculate rooms, they have the highest integrity. One day, we left our room safe open, complete with exposed hundred dollar bills, passports, jewelry, and electronics. We returned to the room to find a sign in front of the safe informing us that we had left the safe open and that, for our protection, hotel security had inventoried the contents and locked the safe with a new code.

In summary, Rosewood Mayakoba is an exceptional resort with an exceptional staff who provide a first-rate, exceptional travel experience.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room on the property.
7 Thank Tanzer22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Admittedly, we approached this family trip to Mexico with some trepidation. After years of hearing very mixed reviews on others' trips (to other resorts), we just were sort of avoiding Mexico in favor of destinations less developed and touristy. This year, though, with a 5 and 9 year old in need of entertainment that might go beyond 7 straight days of sand castle building on quiet beaches, we decided to give Mexico a try. As satisfied (even loyal) customers of other Rosewood properties (Little Dix Bay, Caneel Bay), Rosewood Mayakoba was an easy choice for us.

We have never come back from a family vacation so wholly satisfied. Some details:

The service is just plain outstanding. What makes it so is staff who are not only attentive and thorough, but gracious, approachable and friendly. Also fantastic is the Butler Service. For us this made a difference in that the Butlers were always available “in the field” so as we were lounging by the pool, we could ask for a dinner reservation to be made – or ask for a recommendation for an off-site excursion and it didn’t require a special trip to the Concierge desk (also very helpful) or back to our room to make phone calls.

The physical surroundings of the resort are spectacular and we particularly enjoyed the way in which many staff members went out of their way to tell us about the flora and fauna. Our kids loved the boat ride through the lagoon and the daily nature trip (one for kids and a separate one for adults) is great. The beach is similarly beautiful with powder-soft sand and surf that offered some entertainment for our kids but was not too rough.

Rooms are well-appointed; bright, airy and immaculate and the private outdoor spaces attached to each room are wonderful. The AC works very well and beds were perfectly comfortable.

The Rosebuds children’s program is fantastic. Located right near the beach, there’s a daily calendar of activities which start on the hour – most of which are free. It was a nice break for our kids from the sun and a nice break for my husband and me. The kids loved it and asked to go most days.

I will write separate reviews for each of the restaurants but a general note that the food was excellent and convenient.

Finally, there were many, many “surprise and delight” items – too many to recount – but some examples include poolside sunglass-cleaning, poolside head massages and fresh snacks served throughout the day. It became an item of amusement to us how popsicles (homemade with local flavors) seemed to appear exactly when we needed them.

In short, we cannot wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Edgingin
west palm beach, fl.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

There isn't much about this beautiful resort that hasn't already been said. I had the pleasure of being there for 5 days...3 days it rained...but I still loved every moment of it. They must handpick and train each and every staff member. They treated everyone so well...but not in an ostentatious or phony way...genuine care for your comfort. The knew it was my birthday and left a lovely cake in my room. The rooms are enormous as are the bathrooms and spotless. The whole resort is soothing, restful and above what you would expect. I can't say enough about the breakfast buffet. It was superb...and then they hand you the menu to order from that! Wow! fabulous. The dinners we had in all 3 restaurants were wonderful. The bartenders at the bar were extremely knowledgeable and friendly. I felt completely safe there..and though I traveled with my son and his family, I would not hesitate to go there on my own as a single woman. We got picked up at the airport by Jesus and were greeted with cold towels to freshen up and drinks.
I made use of my plunge pool daily...skinny dipping (very private so you could!) and we even sat in it while it drizzeled with a bottle of wine. I encourage everyone to go there at least once...you will want to return over and over again. The only problem and it had nothing to do with the hotel was going through Customs upon arrival! 3planes must have landed at once and they were not equipped so it took a long time. The problem was with the lack of staffing and not with the hotel.
The hotel would like to change that for their guests but their hands are tied! It was like being in a manicured jungle...worth the trip! PS..my grandchildren enjoyed the children's club where they were well watched and played with. They had games, activities and movies.

Room Tip: any room you pick would be good.
2 Thank lvchickie
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Though I am only 26 I have been blessed with being able to travel in my life. I've been to a vast list of states, countries, and islands and I must say that THIS is the best place I've traveled to yet. The service is better than anything you would be able to experience any where else. They know you by name, they get to know your likes, and your personal butlers will go out of their way to ensure that you are having the time of your life. We stayed right on the beach in a huge villa that Gweneth Paltrow once stayed at as well as Steve Tyler, we were assigned a butler who was absolutely amazing. Anything we requested, anything at all could be done for us even if it wasnt listed or it wasnt on the menu. If you have the money to spend and you want an unforgettable experience please come here and stay on the beach like I did--it is worth it. This is the ideal trip for family, couple, or honeymoon. We had a private catered dinner with an exec. chef right in our backyard, private pools connected to each bedroom, huge comfortable beds, amazing tubs/showers. EVERYTHING about the place I just kept saying "Oh my God" to. To think that some people live like this 24/7 is something I can't wrap my head around. The restaurants are amazing and your butler will escort you to them via fancy golf cart. The weather was perfection and the entire experience was like some never ending fantasy that I can't wait to escape to again (going again this March)! The spa was out of this world I highly recommend going for massages and facials!! The ONLY downside to this place is you will seriously need therapy when your trip ends and you get back to the real world!!

Room Tip: Get one on the beach!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SarahEramo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel is stunning, the staff are so friendly, welcoming you by your name. Suites are enormous and beautiful with stunning bathrooms and the outdoor shower is incredible. Food and wine choice is delicious.Breakfast was fabulous. Our butler frank was lovely and came to chat to me every day to see if he could assist us , including booking restaurants and trips. Would love to visit again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Simply Gorgeous!!!! The service is incredible! They greet each guest by name. Immaculate! Gorgeous beach and the rooms are spectacular! the staff cannot do enough for you. Quiet , relaxing, Great for couples and families! Simply Breathtaking!

2 Thank melissa c
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The setting, rooms,service and breakfast are at the best there is. Ideal for a quiet, relaxing stay, away from it all. Try the bicycles to get around in the resort. Not sure there is much to do for children though. The spa is magnificient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple