“Amazing!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Westchester, NY
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We just returned from 5 days in paradise. My husband and I were looking for somewhere to relax, unwind, be pampered, eat well, and have some fun too- Rosewood met all our expectations & then some. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty, its as if they can not do enough to please you. The rooms are huge, clean, and having our own private backyard overlooking the lagoon was a wonderful treat. We also loved the private sundeck upstairs.
The spa Sense is top-notch, and I had one of the best swedish massages of my life.
The food is great- the breakfast buffet is not to be missed, and if you dont care for one of the many selections on the menu, they will make you anything.
We spent two nights in playa del carmen for dinner which was a nice break from the serenity at the hotel. Great restaurants and bars, and only a 20 minute ride into town.
The pool and beach are both breathtaking, but i would say that its not really a beach hotel as the sand and water can be quite rocky. We mostly spent our time on the pool lounges overlooking the sea. Beautiful!
What really makes this hotel exceptional are the people who work there. They are the lovliest employees who genuinely seem happy to work there. Why wouldnt they, its so gorgeous!
Our butler, DJ was phenomenal. He was not too intrusive, but seemed to always be there when we needed him. We really didn't need to use the concierge because DJ took care of everything. He even unpacked for us!
Also worthy of mentions were Gabriel at the pool bar- happiest man on earth!
Hugo, Jose, Damian, and many more that I cant remember, all were outstanding!
Rosewood, thank you for a truly memorable stay!

Room Tip: We were in the 400's which is a bit far from the lobby and beach, but there are golf carts ridin...
6 Thank Beth K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in February 2013 for 8 nights for our anniversary. We stayed on the adult-only Spa Island since this was a getaway from our three daughters at home. The room was fantastic - much larger than we actually needed for just the two of us, but we LOVED the heated plunge pool and the outdoor shower. We were happy to stay on the Spa Island for most of the trip, mainly just to escape from the inordinate amount of poorly behaved children (which we were not expecting at such a high end resort). We avoided the beach and beach pool for this reason. However, we could not avoid the crowds of kids at breakfast (which was delicious). I felt they should have tried to seat adult only groups in one area of the restaurant with families with children in another. My appetite was ruined one morning when a young boy next to me in a banquet was distracted from throwing the cushions onto my feet by instead playing "chef" and mixing his green juice with his mom's latte making a gross curdled concoction while I tried to enjoy my food. We ultimately started asking to be seated away from children, but there were so many that it was usually impossible. Granted, this was in the middle of February, not exactly high season for school break travelers...

I would suggest dining at the beach restaurant for dinner - the traditional mexican tapas were wonderful (don't miss the softshell crab tacos). Skip Agava Azul altogether. The main restaurant in the lobby is okay for dinner maybe once during the trip... but a little stuffy for our relaxed spa week in flip flops.

The Spa is amazing! Definitely take advantage of the ability to use the facilities daily. The only downside is that poolside service at the spa pool is lacking. We often had to search someone down to order drinks/lunch by the spa or spa pool.

We are accustomed to traveling to to an island that takes us 30 hours to fly to, but were hoping to find a quick quiet escape in Rosewood Mayakoba for long couples weekends here and there. Not sure if we'll return since the point is to have a break from our three kids at home, rather than be annoyed by other guests poorly behaved children.

Rosewood - I would suggest finding additional ways to make couples traveling sans children feel like they're on an adult getaway (maybe add an adult restaurant on the spa island, or have suggested dining times for families with young children?)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank KAVS46
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My spouse and I took a 3-night, 4 day relaxation vacation to the Rosewood Mayakoba. It certainly hit the spot. For a resort with 120 rooms, the service was impeccable (note: the service was still not as good as some smaller resorts I've visited, but the fact they were able to pull off what they were with 300ish guests is really amazing!). The beach chairs were immediately reset once someone left, tables in the restaurants were instantly reset also, beach and breakfast service were fast and efficient (which is basically never the case at island/beach resorts!), a treadmill was immediately cleaned once someone got off, etc. This means everything basically looked as though no one had been there even though the resort was 85% full while we were there. Loved that.

The food was very good. I would recommend the main restaurant for breakfast (excellent Mexican breakfast specialties!), the beach restaurant for lunch (tasty light pizzas and ceviche), and the sushi restaurant for dinner, unless it's taco night, in which case definitely visit taco night at the beach! :) The sushi restaurant also includes the tequila library; we ordered a tequila tasting and learned a lot about tequila from the waiter - educational and obviously fun! The food at the main restaurant for lunch was a bit bland. Even our waiter handed me Tabasco without me asking. We left the resort one night to try Saffron at the Banyan Tree in the Mayakoba complex, and this was a nice experience too; Rosewood provides a free shuttle between the two resorts, which makes going back and forth very easy.

I would reiterate the many suggestions to nab a bicycle as soon as possible at the start of your stay. The paths are nicely paved/stoned, and the rides are quite enjoyable. Plus, you won't have to spend your precious vacation time mulling around for the golf cart shuttle, even if they do come pretty frequently. Not to worry - the basket on the front holds a pretty sizeable beach bag.

The butler we had was a little odd but did his job pretty well (his packing skills were weak...I came home to find everything that had been placed neatly in a drawer squished into and wrinkled in a plastic bag).

The gym was EXCELLENT. Not only did it have the most up-to-date equipment, but Cesar kept the place spotless, refreshed, and in order. He volunteered to help people work the machines without them having to ask. I took one of the fitness classes offered in the outdoor gazebo, and it was a lot of fun; Cesar was a very enthusiastic teacher! My only criticism is that they should've let people know about the classes the day before; I couldn't find the information anywhere except that morning's "event newspaper", even after having asked the butler to send us a new schedule for the days we'd be there. Because the classes are usually at 8 or 10 am, oftentimes reading about it at breakfast was too late to partake.

Though there were kids there, they were all very well-behaved. The RoseBuds kids' programs looked awesome (pinata making, eco tours, etc.).

We took the 30-minute boat eco tour and enjoyed it a lot. There are gorgeous birds and other animals in the Mayakoba complex, and this was a fun way to learn more about them.

We also went to the spa (I went twice). The facilities there were GORGEOUS. The treatments were very nice but not like out of this world. They are also very expensive, even as compared to other high-end resorts I've visited ($214 for a 60-minute facial that didn't even use steam, lasers, microdermabrasion, oxygen, etc.?).

In all, it was a great experience, and we would certainly consider going back given how easy and nice everything was - perfect for relaxation!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nicest people you'll meet. Natural beauty and immaculate landscaping. Helped make my 12 year old's birthday very special. Great place for couples with or without kids. The Kids Club kept them entertained at the right times, within easy distance of us at the pool and they could come and go as they [ or we ;) ] pleased. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: I did not mind being close to main reception building since it allowed us to walk to meals if we did...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just returned from a 5 night's stay at Rosewood with my husband - this was our "babymoon". Read some 3-star reviews on Tripadvisor after we had booked the hotel and was a little concerned re: service, kids, bicyles, food etc. but need not have worried! We had the most fantastic time! I'll address some of the concerns we had initially as other reviewers have done such a fabulous job explaining the rooms/facilities/surroundings on many of the 4 and 5 star reviews.

*Check in / General Service - Absolutely top notch. Upon arrival, we were greeted by our last name, served a chilled welcome drink, then taken to reception. Check-in took 10minutes, then we were provided a map and provided a brief explanation of where the restaurants were etc. Whisked down to the motor boat upon where we were provided fresh hand towels and driven to our suite. Once we arrived at the suite, the butler was waiting just outside our suite to greet us (our luggages were already there of course). Gave us a brief tour of our suite, where all the switches were etc. The service around the pool/beach was also good with frequent replenishment of water bottles and buckets of ice though a couple of times the drinks orders were a little on the slow side to arrive. The restaurant dinner service was also a "tad" slow at times but more on that later... Throughout our entire stay, everyone was so friendly and helpful - always providing service with a smile. No complaints here.

*Golf carts/Bicycles - We requested two bikes on Thursday morning with our butler, she said there was currently a shortage but some should free up later as people were checking out. I asked her to leave the bikes outside our suite and by 5pm when we arrived at the suite from the beach, the bikes were there. It should be noted that some guests seem to "abandon" there bikes during their stay at various places, so it does take time for the staff to locate the bikes and have them sent back to the lobby area upon the guest's check out etc. We didn't mind the wait at all as we had the golf carts which were constantly whizzing by to take us from our suite to the beach or lobby area whenever we wanted. We stayed in suite 414 - which is under a 10min walk to the lobby but a 30min walk to the beach. However, since the moment we arrived, the golf carts were never a problem. If we didn't spot one as soon as we stepped out of our suite, we simply had to walk 2-3minutes before one came by to offer us a lift to whereever we were headed.

*Kids - surprisingly still a number of young kids at Rosewood during our stay (tried to avoid school/easter holiday period because of this very reason!). Was only bothered the 1st day - when we were relaxing by the beach pool and 2-3 kids were constantly bombing into the swimming pool/yelling/screaming along with their father who kept throwing football/frisbees in the pool for the kids to catch by diving into the pool. Albeit this lasted only an hour or so it was still highly annoying (as I was trying to relax and have a snooze!) Besides this incident, no complaints about the kids - all well behaved and supervised.

*Rocky/shallow beach - Yes, the beach is indeed rocky. Lot of pebbles/rocks along certain entry points in the beach for the first 3 meters max. There is also at some points a "dip" in the sand so best you don't fly running into the beach or you will be in for a shock! After the first day though, we got the handle on this problem. We could tell by watching other people, where the rocky points were. There are some entry points where are there NO rocks or dips - so you just need to watch yourself the first time and be observant of others to find the best path into the water. We never had issues with the rocks after our first day. The beach is shallow - its waist deep even if you go further out into the sea - which for me, I actually enjoyed that as I am not a strong swimmer! The actual beach wasn't too busy/crowded, so it was easy to relax on the lounge chairs.

*Food - This is the only part I did not fully enjoy. As mentioned before the breakfast menu/buffet is fabulous, especially the fruit selection being so fresh! Recommend the "green juice"! Service was also great during breakfast. Lunch at Punta Bonita (next to beach pool) also has a good menu and is fairly priced but the dinner selection isn't quite as promising. The food is expensive - which should be expected at a resort - however the quality of the food was not matching the price being paid. For 2 people, expect to pay around $130-$150 for dinner (incl tax and tip) with 1-2 drinks being included. We ate at Azul twice (Japanese/Tequila Library). The sashimi pieces were nice - they come in 8 pieces for $18 a plate. Sushi roll prices are around $15-18 mark per roll - LOT of rice on the roll which I didn't love but anyways. Fried rice was $25 or so from memory and that was pretty average. Food was "ok" not great and for the price I would expect something better than ok? Service was a tad slow (but I was on vacation so trying not to let that get to me!) Room service is much cheaper and the food was actually good - so this might be better value. Didn't have dinner at the main restaurant (Casa Del Lago) so can't comment on that one. Had dinner at Saffron in the Banyan Tree - again prices are similar (high $10's for appetizers, mid $30's for mains) and enjoyed that restaurant setting more than the settings at Rosewood as it felt more like an actual restaurant versus a resort restaurant. I also didn't think mocktails at $13 each were appropriately priced - Saffron had it priced at $9 mark which is more appropriate for a non-alcoholic beverage. Overall I would hope the quality of the food improved more in the future at the resort to match the prices being charged.

Would love to see an actual bar near the beach pool area - so people can just sit outside and relax having a drink whilst people watching and what not. Loved the spa treatment and the facilities were great - we didn't use it at all because we were keen just to relax in our plunge pool after the day at the beach.

Tips - We went via Walmart in Playa Del Carmen before arriving at Rosewood. We bought a few cans of beer and the staff were good about stocking it in the fridge for us upon our arrival. My husband just took some cans with him to the beach and put it on the bucket of ice which was provided. You could do the same with sparkling water, soda etc if you don't want to pay $6 for a can of coke on the resort.
- Make sure to go on the eco-tour boat ride which leaves at 11am - takes 30min and you can see the different wildlife that live around the mangroves.

1 Thank ilsy80
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Ilsy80
Thank you very much for your review and feedback regarding your recent Babymoon with us. I was very pleased to read that you gave us a "Best week ever" review and enjoyed hearing all the positive points. Thank you as well for your constructive feedback on our Agave Azul restaurant. While we receive many positive comments on the food and service there, I understand it was not exceptional and I will definitely go back with my Master sushi chef and culinary team to review your feedback and ensure we are delivering consistently a great experience with good value. Appreciate as well your comments on pricing of mocktails.. I have reviewed the pricing and have already made the change to $9 as you are correct, at $13 it was not a great value and priced similar to regular cocktails. While we only provide the freshest of ingredients including fresh squeezed juices, we need to always ensure we do not overcharge. Many thanks for the feedback and look forward to having you return hopefully with your new son or daughter.. Congratulations and wish you the best.. Warm Regards..Graeme Davis..Managing Director
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 24, 2013

5 star hotel with excellent customer service. We brought our 7 month old and they couldnt make the trip easier for us. We also used a babysitter at night which we highly recommend. We will definitely return!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank telzer
Cozumel, Mexico
Reviewed April 23, 2013

if you are a distinguished classy traveler of ego upscale locations this is the best location in the world, let alone Mexico.
Carved out of the jungle this property sits on man made lagoons filled with fresh cenote water the color of the Caribbean Sea. You arrive by a electric powered duffy boat to your suite...exceptional experience..
I stayed in suite #408 which was an over water luxury lagoon suite you must try this suite unbelievably wonderful experience I could have stayed there for a month!
I could live in the bathroom..
Indoor and out door showers..
the bed was a dream...
I cant wait to go back maybe during the PGA Mayakoba Classic in November.

Room Tip: #408 is a special over water suite, romantic and private, you are in the heart of the jungle with a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business