“Great setting but way too many flaws for a 5 star hotel!”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great setting but way too many flaws for a 5 star hotel!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We were so excited about this stay and we are overall very disappointed. My husband and I are well travelled and we were lucky enough to experience some of the best hotels of the world. This is the first time that I feel the need to write a review since we have never experienced such a bad service. We arrived apparently too late to check in with the boat and we didnt get cold towels or drinks. The setting is impressive and our suite is gorgeous (415). We thought that the suite would be very private since we have no one overlooking. The problem is the housekeeping team which is the worse we have ever experienced. If you want privacy in your room, you just won't get it. The hotel provide a tiny bag with a pale drawing to indicate if you want the from serviced or if you don't want to be disturbed. The staff just don't care and they ring the overly loud bell at anytime. Sometimes as late as 9 pm for checking the turn down service which is supposed to have been done already. Each day we came back to the room we found housekeepers in the room even if we had left clear instructions by note, email and with our butler. One day, we had a team cleaning the terrace whilst we were sleeping on the long chairs whilst one housekeeper kept receiving calls on his mobile! Again tonight we were awoken by the bell whilst the do not disturb sign was on. I am 6 months pregnant and it took us 3 days before we could use our pool since it was way too hot (36 degrees) when we arrived and we had to ask 4 times and 4 different people before it got sorted out. We also had problems with the concierge not responding to emails with requests for the same day apparently due to some internal confusion. The butlers really go out of their way to try to resolve problems and it's a shame the quality is not the same in the other teams.

The breakfast at the main restaurant is truly delicious (when they don't forget your order like today) and the pool team is very dedicated (when they don't forget your order like today). The food at Punta Bonita is delicious and we tend to go mostly there. You should try the restaurant Saffron at the nearby hotel it is amazing!

The beach is not so great and full of rocks. I fell in the water and hurt my knee when I hit the rocks at the bottom. I lost my sunglasses and they were found the next day by security which was very much appreciated.

For a hotel of this price, the service is really deficient and the hotel needs to look into its internal communication system. We would not recommend this hotel and we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Overwater deluxe suites are amazing but offer no privacy since the bell is too far from the door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Melanie T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Korean first
Austin
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 (three kids ages 8, 6, and 2) all had a wonderful time. The staff, kids club, rooms, service and food were fantastic. We went during full occupancy and it felt empty, which is amazing. We had a deluxe room on the water with a pier and dunk pool. The accommodations were spacious enough, but will go for a 2 bedroom next visit.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
nyc
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I really have nothing negative to say to justify not giving a 5 star rating but I just felt it was pricey. Not too pricey but just not leaving with that feeling of having cheated the holiday gods. The service is wonderful, the rooms amazing, the food delicious (particularly the breakfast buffet) and nearby attractions fun (Xplor, Xel Ha). I think if it was just my husband and I it would get a 5 star. We took our 4 and 5 year old kids. Our 4 year old was not a fan of the kids club so that was a shame. Our 5 year old loved it. I suspect that was more to do with the kids than the hotel though. The beach is blah at best. Looks good but not swim able. Too many rocks. We went to Tulum for the day and the beach was perfect there. Overall great place to be if you want to get away from it all and spoil yourself. If you have kids and want to bring them along for the ride is probably choose somewhere like paradissus reserve in the DR. It will just feel like better value.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank angelainnewyork
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear Angelainnewyork
Thank you for your recent visit with us and for providing the feedback. I was pleased to read that you felt nothing negative to say and we should have a 5 star rating except for the feeling we were pricey. We are confident that our pricing is very competitive and on par with similar ultra luxury properties around the globe.. We have approximately 500 employees supporting our 128 suites with a tremendous amount of fresh produce and supplies flown in from around Mexico and the world to create the very best possible experience. We do offer many amenities that are included in our pricing such as internet, complimentary watersports, kids club, bicycles, access to our spa and fitness area, hometown newspapers, bottled water in suite and poolside, multiple amenities pool and beachside and daily eco tours to name just a few of our complimentary services. We have many guests who do feel it is the perfect place to get away as a couple and also the perfect place to also bring their children as we are spread out on 1,600 acres,only 128 suites and 132 swimming pools. Plenty of space for everyone to have their own private experience to be pampered by our butlers or be active pool and beach side with our staff to serve. We are certainly not for everyone and those that truly want to experience one of the very best resorts in World and in Mexico, Rosewood Mayakoba is the place. We are delighted that Trip Advisor readers have chosen us as the number 1 Luxury Resort in Mexico. We are on Conde Naste's Hot list, on their top 100 best in the world as well as our spa tied for 2nd place as best spa in Mexico also in Conde Naste.. Some great accolades that you our guests have given us.. We truly appreciate receiving the feedback and will continue our relentless passion to be the very best. I hope you'll give us another try in the future so we can show you it was worth it. Warm Regards..Graeme Davis.. Managing Director
NY.NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Giligans Island meets Fantasy Island (even though it's on the mainland.)
Gilgans island came without "A single luxury!" but this had every amenity you could want or need. We were attended to meticulously. The food was mostly excellent. The help was supremely friendly. The grounds are beautiful.
We arrived and they put us on a boat, with refreshments out of the tropics, to ferry us to our gorgeous suite. I swear we were looking for Tatoo calling to Mr. Rourke. But the fantasy doesn't have the double edged sword, like in the tv show. Walk, bike or golf cart to the beach. Sipping margaritas, piña coladas, beer, whatever you desire at the beach or beachside pool or your own private lagoon porch. What a treat. I was skeptical about Sushi in Mexico and I live in NYC so I know fresh, fine sushi... I was surprised at how good it was. It was one of several fine choices on the property. Sailing, kayaking, paddle board all free (at that price it should be free.) lovely spot for high quality r and r and r and r! Enjoy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Playa Del Carmen- Mexico
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Back at Rosewood Mayakoba and this resort still is having the same impact than the first time I visited this place. The Arrival experience is so romantic and effortless. The Boat ride to your suite set the right atmosphere for the stay and the Staff is just amazing. I stayed here in January for a few days and the staff still remembers your name. I chosen again to Stay in the Over Water Deluxe Suite. This suites are just amazing with Ton of Privacy super large and a view in to Nature which is unbeatable. Mayakoba is a truly amazing resort from the Waterways, to the Natural Jungle and Mangroves and a stunning beach. I can only recommend this for anyone looking to a great romantic getaway or special celebration. The entire Staff is so accommodating and professional in all aspects , from the Arrival to your suite with your Butler greeting you to the Valet guys.

Loved the breakfast and the Lunch at the beach Restaurant, amazing ceviches and mexican food.

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe overwater suite. Just amazing and super private
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bjoern K
Delighted to have you back again and thank you very much for the kind feedback. I too believe that the overwater suites are the best in the property.. But everyone has their own personal favorites as do I. The amazing feeling of lounging out on your terrace or in your plunge pool over the lagoon waters watching the wildlife go by is truly magical. Look forward to seeing you back for your third visit and many more after that. Warm Regards..Graeme Davis.. Managing Director
Lafayette, California
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My family (husband and two boys ages 12 & 10) just returned from a 5 night stay at Rosewood Mayakoba. This is truly a gorgeous resort--dramatic lagoon setting with elegant facilities, spacious and comfortable suites, and a lovely beach/pool set-up. The staff, without exception, is comprised of friendly, lovely people who are trying to make guests' stays terrific. The beach-side amenities (head massages at your lounge chair, sweets and treats every hour, etc.) were a fun surprise. In most aspects, the Rosewood Mayakoba rivals any 5-star resort around the world. We've been lucky enough to stay at a number of Four Seasons resorts, for example, and the Rosewood is certainly on par with them as far as the actual facility and setting.

I always appreciate and faithfully use Tripadvisor reviews in trip planning, and I wouldn't be doing my fair share if I did not offer some candor in one significant way in which this resort hasn't gotten their formula figured out, and that's with the food/restaurant service. Across the board, I felt the food was just too heavy and rich with over-complicated preparations and/or "curve ball" exotic ingredients that aren't mentioned in the menu description. I love wild and crazy food as much as the next guy, but I like to know what I'm getting before it is sitting in front of me, and I don't want heavy food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It sort of surprises me that the resort isn't a little more in tune to healthier food options and lighter, simpler preparations. While the kitchen is clearly willing to modify recipes, I found it annoying to have to pick through the menu this way...and it was tough with kids who are a little less forgiving of a surprise dash of truffle oil on their morning eggs!

I also was a little underwhelmed by the quality of the table service. At some meals we would sit way too long before our waiter even greeted us to take a drink order, which were then slow to come. At breakfast, on 2 mornings, we had to wait over 10 minutes while they brewed more coffee before we got served. Really? Was it a surprise that people were going to want coffee in the morning? We learned to ask for a carafe to have at our table so we could refill ourselves because otherwise it was a long wait for refills. I realize that sounds very Type-A American to get freaked out about waiting a bit, but when I'm at a 5-star resort paying 5-star prices for everything, I don't expect to have to flag down waiters to have my coffee or water refilled, or remind the waiter a second time for something I've requested...you know? We tried room service one night just because we were burnt out on all the rich food (the room service menu is a little more mainstream fare), but that was annoying in that we waited almost an hour for the food to arrive. The whole dining experience was definitely an odd gap in the qualityof hospitality at the resort that, unfortunately, was an issue three times a day no matter where you went on the property.

So, I cannot say enough nice things about the property itself...it's truly gorgeous, and the staff is trying awfully hard to make guests happy. But the dining leaves a lot to be desired in my book and makes the overall experience at the resort something short of 5-star. I might be a harsh grader here, but 5 stars should really mean something, and this Rosewood still has kinks to work out before it's on par with the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carltons of the world.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
13 Thank yolozin
Dear Yolozin
Thank you very much for sharing your review and providing us with this valuable feedback. I was very pleased to read that in most aspects we rival any 5 star resort around the world. However, I was also disappointed to read that we fell short on your culinary and restaurant expectations. We take great pride in providing the freshest of ingredients and creating both simple and also creative dining experiences. Your feedback that your children had truffle oil on their eggs suprised me as much as it must have suprised you. Having three children myself 16,12, and 7, I know these suprises and flavors can cause some disappointments with both you and the kids. I have gone back to my culinary team to ensure we don't have any suprises on the menu that are not communicated properly with our guests prior to ordering. As culinary tastes are very personal and everyone has their own idea on what is the best meal, I can tell you that we have received a tremendous amount of accolades on the quality and experience in our dining venues. Our lobster tacos at lunch are famous. Our reknowned Spanish Chef Nestor's personal paella at Casa Del Lago is truly world class. Everyone loves our sushi and Tequila bar with the freshest seafood flown in daily. But I would agree with you that waiting for coffee for more than 1 minute at breakfast time is not our standard and can assure you we have reviewed this to ensure that our guests receive coffee, juice and water before glasses or cups are empty that way there is no wait or asking.. We must anticipate our guests needs well before they need to ask. Otherwise we have failed in providing the flawless experience. Truly appreciate your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to create a perfect experience for you and the family which I know we can.. Warm Regards...Graeme Davis..Managing Director
NJ
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We just returned from a week at the Rosewood Mayakoba and it went beyond our expectations. We were greeted when we checked in with a cool towel and a drink and was escorted by boat to our room. Our room was very large compared to other high end resorts we have stayed out. The butler greeted us as soon as we checked in and meet all our needs, we reserved bikes to use throughout our stay but found the gold carts readily available to take you around the property,
Breakfast and lunch were the best meals. My husband was on a gluten free diet and they went out of their way to accommodate him. The chef came out at most meals to ask what he would like.
We ate one night I. Playa Del Carmen, fun for one night but the transportation is expensive, we ate one night at Saffron at The Banyon Tree next door which was excellent. There aren't any other restaurants close to the hotel so we ate most of our meals at the hotel.
The beach amenities were a big hit with my teenage son, head massages everyday and food and drink samples almost hourly. It was wonderful!
My husband and son golfed, they booked thru the Internet and saved some money by doing so. They loved the course, the spa is also top notch,
I would definitely return

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lagoon suites, loved the location. Walked to breakfast me the gym but needed a shut...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family