“One of the Nicest places that we have stayed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“One of the Nicest places that we have stayed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We are currently staying at the Rosewood Mayakoba, Room 303, and I would have to agree with many of the comments posted here. The Rooms are very nice and the service is wonderful. As most times in life, you get what you pay for. There are a few dings that would stop this resort from obtaining a 5 star rating. One thing they cannot control is the out of country tariffs so I would recommend bringing your own wine and booze, duty free shops. One thing that can be controlled is the food quality at the restaurants on the property. I am comparing them to fine dining options that we have at home and not all inclusive type hotels. For the meal plan, it is about a wash, whether you choose to pay as you go or as we did, the modified plan, which includes breakfast and dinner. The breakfast buffet is great, as is the lobster tacos at the beachside restaurant. We arrived yesterday and had dinner at Agave Azul, the octopus preparation was not my favorite and some of the sushi was dryer than I would have liked. You do not go to a foreign country expecting to get the same quality as the country of the food's origin or the US for that matter. We probably will not dine there again during this trip. Last night we went to the one "upscale" restaurant on property, Lago. I had the Wagu beef tenderloin, the temperature was fine but it came out a little colder than I would have liked and not salted at all. I would recommend that the chef taste the food going out first. My wife ordered the grilled lobster with calamari and the lobster was perfect. My son ordered the rib eye and again it was perfect. My daughter had the short ribs which were a tad dry. There are some great dishes here and some that need reworking. I would recommend maybe adding some local dishes that are easily perfected. Tomorrow night we will be having a private dinner on the beach so we will see how it goes. In the meantime safe travels and happy eating!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank arnassar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Korean first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a fabulos time on our family holiday. It was a long way to go but it was well worth it. The resort is fabulos in a great location. The facilities are superb, the people are very warm and welcoming and make you feel very special. The pools where very good and child friendly, the restaurants were also very good with plenty of choice. The Rosewood forms part of 3 hotels all linked together. The Rosewood is better than the Banyan Tree and the Fairmont in terms of atmosphere and overall quality. The Rosewood is set in a Nature reserve so you will see all kinds of wild life including crocodiles. Don't let that put you off. It's an amazing place.

The beach was a little stony but it was well maintained and clean.

The accommodation is modern and is well maintained.

Overall, 10 out of 10.

Some advice if you are planning to play on the golf course. I booked a round to play on my own. Despite emails confirming this was ok I really struggled to achieve this. I did eventually play on my own but I had to insist they maintain the promises that where made. It's a great golf course.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian W
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

We came for my sister's birthday - a gathering of adults who are used to nice places an who all travel a lot. It was expensive but just disconnect your brain from your wallet and enjoy it. At the top of the list was the service staff - top to bottom. That is a great compliment because the grounds are beautiful and the rooms are very well featured. Wages are low down there so don't be cheap with the tips even though 15% gets added to everything. Many of those very nice people make minimum wage which is $5.00 per day.
Mayakoba was cut out from jungle and mangrove swamp so the sound of the birds in the morning is amazing. We also had the hotel arrange a private tour of Coba and Tulum - good tour guide plus driver for a wonderful Mayan antiquities experience. Don't miss that! A shopping day in Playa del Carmen is a short cab fare away. Some very nice stores mixed in among the T shirt shops and tattoo parlors.
Only markdown...the dinners. It is an all inclusive (except alcohol) and given how deluxe everything was we were surprised that the dinners were basic hotel fare. Except the breakfasts, which were terrific. The fresh fruits exceptional.
Finally, we never saw Cancun city but the ride from the Rosewood to the Cancun airport was easy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EdandJane
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We had our wedding at the Rosewood Mayakoba in November of 2012 and I can't think of one negative thing to say about the venue or our experience as a whole.

First, to start off with the venue in general, I have stayed at some pretty nice places but the Rosewood Mayakoba is so far my favorite. Everything, from the outside environment, to the rooms, to the service, is phenomenal. I did read some reviews that the service was lacking for some guests, and admittedly the two times we stayed there it had to do with our wedding (including the actual week of the wedding). So perhaps the staff was especially attentive to us. But our guests also raved about the service and we had 112 people there, so at least that week the service was right on par. Also, no complaints about the food!

The rooms are amazing - huge, clean, and comfortable. We had the ocean view suite during the week of our wedding, which we enjoyed as the plunge pool on the roof overlooks the ocean. But I have to say our favorite room is their most "basic" room, which is the Lagoon Suite. Unless it is really important for you to be on the beach or overlooking the ocean there really is not a reason to upgrade. My husband and I stayed in the Lagoon Suite during another stay and we both really like the layout and privacy of the room.

I think a nice plus of the resort is that it is only a 10 minute drive to Playa del Carmen. It's very easy to navigate if you are renting a car, or the resort can call a cab. We had no issues with cab service going either to or from the resort, although cabs can be kind of expensive so I do recommend renting a car if you are staying for more than a couple of days and/or plan to do some exploring.

On to the wedding - I don't know if I have the words to really express how amazing of an experience it was. Not just because it was our wedding but also because of the talents and accommodations of the Rosewood. From the moment we showed interest in having our wedding there, the staff was extremely attentive and communicative. E-mails were answered in a timely fashion and it was very easy to schedule a call if we had more detailed questions or concerns that needed to be addressed. They really made us feel special, like we were the only couple considering getting married there (which we most definitely were not!). And this treatment did not stop. They were very easy to work with throughout the wedding planning all the way through to the post wedding wrap up.

Another thing that impressed us was how accommodating they were with pretty much everything. They worked within our budget. I don't think we got a flat out "no" to any of our requests. If we wanted to do something but couldn't because of budget issues, logistics, etc., the venue worked with us to find an alternative. In fact, I really can't think of anything we really wanted to do but couldn't. They truly found a way to make everything we wanted happen. And they were great with coordinating all of our guests and rooms. There were a few snafus here and there but they were worked out quickly.

We had events at Casa del Lago (outside), Punta Bonita, and, of course, the Palapa. The Palapa is pretty impressive on a normal day when there is no event. But decorated for our wedding it was absolutely stunning. The setup was perfect and it is right on the beach so you really can't beat that! It was such a perfect venue for us. And the food was spectacular! I imagine it can be challenging to cook great food for that many people and have it come out at the same time, but somehow they did it. My husband and I, as well as our guests, were very happy with the food - from the cocktail hour hors d'oeuvers to dinner to dessert.

The Rosewood does have "preferred vendors" and although I did some shopping around on my own I ended up using all of their vendors (DJ, hair/makeup, flowers, decor, and lighting). The vendors were all extremely easy to work with and they all spoke excellent English, which was a plus for us because unfortunately my husband and I don't speak Spanish very well. They were also very attentive and communicative.

Last, although everyone we worked with at the Rosewood was wonderful, it wouldn't have been the same without their event coordinator, Arianna. It was really her efforts that made our day, literally. She was with us every step of the way, and also advocated for us, which was especially important as between the resort and all the vendors there was a lot of coordinating. If there was a miscommunication or an issue with logistics or cost, she made sure that it was resolved as quickly as possible. I don't think our weekend would have been the same without her. Anyone who is considering getting married at the Rosewood is lucky to have Arianna as a wedding coordinator!

I would recommend to anyone to have their wedding at Rosewood Mayakoba. It was truly an unforgettable experience for us!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ARae436
Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

If you're wealthy, with young children and relaxed standards, the Rosewood Mayakoba might be just the place for your next family vacation. If, on the other hand, you think that for $2,000 a night the facilities should be impeccable and the service flawless, you will come to understand the disappointment we occasionally felt during our recent stay. Overall it was very pleasant, but there were a number of notable deficiencies that need to be addressed to bring it up to the expectations we have for a Rosewood resort.

Most of the shortcomings we noticed suggest insufficient investment in construction and upkeep. We had a beachfront suite that offered a lovely view of the ocean and the breaking surf. The beach was close enough that it was just a short walk to the beach club, but far enough away to afford acceptable privacy in the room. While the room was nice enough and well equipped but for the lack of a full length mirror, the quality of the construction and finishes was troubling if you care about these things. By this I'm referring to the very sloppy caulking between the counters and the wall and around the shower glass, the tattered edges on the screen door, the very tired tracks for the sliding sun block panels on the equally tired and worn wooden patio and the uninviting plunge pool. The covered aluminum pull rods used to open and close the drapes were bent and one broke off after the first use (notably, it was promptly repaired and didn't require further attention). The myriad light switches were confusing, the lampshades were crooked and somewhat soiled and several of the hangers had broken clips. Giving the resort the benefit of the doubt, it could be that the local community doesn't offer craftsmen with the skills to finish out the units more finely, but the the other deficiencies are a matter of care, attention to detail and investment in maintenance.

While these items detracted somewhat from the overall favorable physical impression, by far the most annoying feature of the resort is the transportation system. As others have noted, the Rosewood Mayakoba essentially is comprised of two parts: the reception/spa/main dining facility and the beach club/beach suites. The Lagoon suites are in between the two. Because of the distance from one of the primary areas to the other, there is a system of golf cart buses to provide transportation between them. We were assured that the carts circulate regularly and pass every 5-7 minutes. This was mostly true but the exceptions were notable - for example it took 20 minutes for one of them to arrive one morning to take guests to the spa for a scheduled workout class, which of course was missed. Relying on a public transportation system is efficient and convenient in a large urban environment but loses its appeal at a high end resort.

There is a very elegant daytime solution to this lack of independent mobility which unfortunately is so poorly handled that it's almost worse than the problem it intends to address: bicycles. Upon arrival you will notice a rack of blue bicycles available for guest use around the resort or to ride along the nice bike paths to the other hotels in the area. While these understandably are rugged, low-tech machines, the sight of happy visitors gaily pedaling about immediately lightens the heart. Sadly, the joy of anticipation is short-lived when you are advised that there is a waiting list and you are in the 15th position. We arrived on Thursday afternoon and got our bikes at lunchtime on Saturday. That there isn't a bike available for any guest wanting one is inexcusable because the solution is so obvious: buy more bikes! It is a simple lack of investment and the guests suffer as a result. But it's worse than that. The shortage brings out the worst behavior in guests who can't understand why there aren't enough. The very first time I used mine, taking it to the spa for a treatment, it was stolen by another guest. The response of the valet in charge of dispensing them was that it happens all the time. When I enquired about taking one of the two that a couple had just returned I was told that they were already reserved for someone else, but they would find mine and get it back to me promptly, which ended up being Sunday morning. For the lack of a few thousand dollars in capital investment the resort frustrates its guests, converts the least ethical of them into thieves and makes the honest ones feel like suckers. It is truly inexplicable in a Rosewood facility.

On the bright side, the spa facility was very nice. It's off by itself on a little island and is very private and relaxing. The outdoor yoga and other group classes under the big palapa are very well done. The workout facility is well-equipped and well-maintained. The dressing rooms were beautiful, though towel hooks by the large hot tub, sauna and steam room would be a welcome addition - though they might detract somewhat from the excellent appearance. Staff were attentive and helpful, however requiring guests to fill out an appraisal form after any service is a touch annoying.

The service flaws came in a couple different varieties. Dinner service at the Punta Bonita restaurant by the beach was slow and disorganized and was only a little better at Casa del Lago. Lunch service at Casa del Lago was interminable, even though (or perhaps because) it was nearly empty at 1pm. Lunch at Punta Bonita was reasonably efficient. We generally were pleased with the food in both venues, though the white wine by the glass was only very slightly chilled in both places and returned to room temperature in short order.

Room service was reliable except for the one time we needed it to be delivered on time. On that occasion, at 6:45 on Sunday morning, we received the usual promise of delivery in 30 minutes or less. After 40 minutes the kitchen called to apologize for the delay and promised it would be there within another 10 minutes. The coffee, granola and yogurt arrived 70 minutes after we ordered it and 15 minutes after one of us had to leave. No further apologies were offered. Of less significance, the resort appears not to have coffee mugs unless you order cappuccino even if you request them specifically, preferring instead to use small cups with saucers. On one occasion the coffee came with no cups at all, causing the server to rifle through the in-room amenities to produce the espresso cups provided for use with the Nespresso machine. When that solution was rejected he managed to fetch two unmatched cappuccino mugs. It wasn't until the third morning that we began to receive the daily morning paper that was offered at check-in.

We sometimes felt we were engaged in a battle of wits with the housekeeping staff. Though unseen, they seemed to exert a willful dominance over the room and our possessions and insisted on leaving things the way they wanted them to look and be arranged rather than how we had left them. This included replacing fruit that we had patiently waited to ripen and removing shopping bags that had been stored by our luggage for future use. I understand that it requires the housekeepers to exercise subjective judgement, but there should be some way of training the staff to clean and organize the rooms while respecting the the way the guests have arranged things.

One of the nice hotel offerings is an Eco-tour of the canals and lagoons that surround the Rosewood and adjacent resorts. The tour consists of a boat trip narrated by a biologist who helps spot and identify the interesting array of local flora and fauna. This sounded like fun so on Friday evening we signed up to take the trip the next day. In the morning we were advised that the scheduled trip had filled up with kids and we might not enjoy it so a private trip was recommended. We gladly agreed and only later discovered that the biologist would not be joining us and the trip instead would be led by one of the boat captains. He did his best and we enjoyed the trip, but we couldn't avoid the feeling that we had been subjected to a bait and switch - a feeling that was reinforced when we saw the real Eco-tour boat go by, with the biologist and no children.

The staff at the resort are plentiful and unfailing in their pleasant, upbeat and polite attitude. It feels distinctly churlish to criticize the friendliness of hotel staff, but four days of exchanging buenos dias, buenas tardes and buenas noches with virtually every employee one encounters (housekeepers, landscapers, pool attendants, room service deliverers, cart drivers, butlers, valets, etc - literally dozens in a day) begins to feel more burdensome than friendly. They do seem truly happy to be there and to be serving you, especially the omnipresent and slightly cloying butlers, but the absolute uniformity of the courtesy makes the cynic in me wonder if some form of physical punishment doesn't await the staff member who fails to verbally recognize and greet a guest. In most cases it seems as though a smile and a nod would be sufficient.

On the whole, the above critiques notwithstanding, the service staff really seemed to care about creating a fun and relaxing atmosphere. One of the bright spots of our stay was the pool attendants at both pools. They were easy to find and eager to please, adjusting chairs and umbrellas, refreshing towels and bringing water and an assortment of afternoon snacks.

One note on the pricing policy: while there may be competitive reasons for doing so, listing a price and then adding a mandatory service charge is slightly misleading and also confusing to guests. Does the fee mean that all the service is included and therefore you shouldn't tip anyone? It didn't say that anywhere and the staff seemed perfectly happy to accept tips. All the food bills added another 15% service charge but also allowed space for additional gratuities. It seems to me that service is either included in full or it isn't. The ambiguity causes discomfort to the guests who want to recognize service but aren't sure if it is proper of if the server ever sees anything that isn't delivered in cash. Other resorts, such as the Lodge at Pebble Beach, have what I consider a better system - they charge a service fee but then don't allow tipping of the staff. I think most people prefer the clarity of this approach.

Prospective guests should be aware that this is a family resort. There's nothing wrong with that and it's great if you're planning to vacation with your young children. But if you're looking for peace and quiet and don't prefer the abundant presence of occasionally noisy, splashy children (especially at the beach club pool, which most of the time seemed more like a water park than a luxury resort) you should look elsewhere. There are places to get away, such as the very nice adults-only spa pool, but it feels a bit like a second class accommodation since most people go to a beach resort because they want to hang out by the beach. The environment at the pool by the Casa del Lago is a bit more relaxing.

Some of the comments above may seem overly critical and I should point out that none of the noted deficiencies prevented us from having an enjoyable and relaxing stay. The resort is in a beautiful spot and has much to offer. With almost any other label on it we would have been quite pleased with the experience but it simply didn't meet the very high standards we have come to expect from the Rosewood brand. We're glad we tried it, but we won't make a return visit.

Room Tip: They are the most expensive, but the beachfront suites are really the way to go.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
24 Thank Singerie805
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Singerie805
Thank you very much for your extensive feedback and review. After all of your detailed feedback I was pleased to read that you had an "enjoyable and relaxing time" and you felt the "resort was in a beautiful spot with much to offer". We can appreciate your point of view and of course as I have said in many of my replies to other reviewers. All of us here at Rosewood Mayakoba strive for flawless experiences with every guest feeling fabulous about their stay with us. Over this past year we have had tremendous success and continue today giving that experience.. I was taken by surprise on your comments though regarding the friendliness and politeness of my staff and that they were overly friendly and that perhaps we punish them if they do not recognize our guests.. My staff are my greatest asset and are the heart of the resort.. All 500 of them love what they do and I treat them all with the utmost respect and care as I truly believe that if we take the best care of our staff as we do our guests, my staff will genuinely care for you and it works.. My staff are friendly and caring and will say hello to all our guests because they love our guests and as I, appreciate immensely the opportunity to have our guests stay with us. I have shared your comments regarding maintenance, housekeeping, Eco Tours and food and beverage to my leadership team and will certainly follow up as we just like Las Ventanas pride ourselves on creating flawless experiences. The bicycle issue is challenging and we have taken notice already.. We have 80 more bikes on the way and should be here in two more weeks. Our apologies for the inconvenience. We are family friendly as we are also couples or singles friendly. We have over 130 swimming pools on our property with every suite having a private plunge or lap pool, and three large pool, one of which is adults only and is very peaceful with full amenities. Most any ultra luxury resort will have their moments during holiday periods where there may be additional families with Children and we welcome both as well as couples as we are set on 1,600 acres of beautiful tropical lagoons, forests, and beaches with which there are many places for our families and couples looking for peace and quiet. Regarding service charge policies, we do include 15%service charge which does go to all the employees in the resort both behind the scenes and in front. However, we do allow our employees to accept additional gratuities as we have found our guests truly do want to offer more to recognize and appreciate those special employees that went well above and beyond. Lastly, I do appreciate your feedback saying that your comments "may seem overly critical" and that the noted deficiencies did not prevent you from haivng an enjoyable relaxing time.. Again, we are greatful for that. However, we are not resting on that feedback as we are relentless and passionate to create a perfect experience for every guest to enjoy, recommend and return.. Thank you again for your feedback and do hope you will give us another try so your next review will be as many of our guests already say "Rosewood Mayakoba is the Las Ventanas of the Yucatan".. Warm Regards..Graeme Davis Managing Director
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

The resort is beautiful. It sits on the ocean and a lagoon. The rooms overlooking the lagoon make you feel that you are in the middle of a jungle. One can truly relax and decouple from the world. Yet one is only an hour away from Playa Del Carmen going one way and an hour away from Cancun going the other way. Plus, one can go visit Tulum, a magical place and a must see.

The food is good (the beach restaurant has an innovative dinner menu), but the food prices are over the top. A typical lunch for two costs $55.00 and with a glass of wine and one beer it can top $75,00. Maybe the owners think that those who can afford staying at a luxury hotel can also afford expensive food prices. Maybe thats true, but who wants to feel overcharged?

I would recommend the resort but make sure that before you go, you mentally prepare yourselves so that you don't spend your vacation time "sputtering" when each food bill comes. Or like us start sharing the main course. Or even better, the resort, should rethink their food pricing.

P.S. The Mexican white wines are at least somewhat in a "normal" price range and quite good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank DCMomInChief
Dear DCMominChief
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and so glad to read that you thought the property was beautiful and that you would recommend. I was however disappointed to read that you thought our pricing was too high and you felt overcharged. We do fly in the freshest of ingredients from around Mexico and the world as the Mayan Riviera does have some wonderful fresh products and seafood but not enough to satisfy our guest's high expectations. We do ensure that we charge a fair price for the quality of food we serve and are quite competitive with other ultra luxury resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean. I agree with you that our Mexican wines are fabulous and many are on par or better with Californian variety. Unfortunately, there is a very high import tax on American wines and thus the pricing is inflated to cover those taxes.. I would encourage all of our guests to try our incredible Mexican wines from the Baja peninsula.. Gerson our Sommelier/Restaurant Manager has our entire wine list on an I pad to enjoy and read all about the wines and help you select the best for you. Thank you agian for the feedback and do hope you will try us again and look me up so I can meet you personally.. Warm Regards...Graeme Davis.. Managing Director
Omaha
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for our kids spring break in March 2012 and would definitely NOT return. We used our AMEX Plat FHR to book the room at the Mayakoba. The room itself was really nice. Very spacious, with nice bedding, an amazing bathroom area and a sun deck area on the roof. The big downside was the food and food service here. We have stayed at other Rosewood Resorts and loved the food so this was a HUGE disappointment. We even contacted the GM after our first meal to complain about the service and food quality and were assured it would be better for the remainder of our stay. It was not. We ate at all the venues but were just not impressed. Our friends who stayed here just after the opening had the same experience but we hoped they would have figured out by now. The big problem is that you are too far to just pop into or walk anywhere else to eat. So you probably need a car to do it right as cabs are a hassle. The beach was nice but the areas for shade are very small and are snatched up at 12:01am in the morning so be prepared. The beach area was supposed to have activities but again a disappointment. They had had a private party there a week before and were still tearing down the venue. Sad. I would definitely not return to the Rosewood Mayakoba that is certain.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank ckayjr
Dear ckayjr
Thank you very much for your review even if it is from last year March 2012.. Much has happened since you were here a year ago. We have made sweeping changes since I arrive in March of last year including changing every menu in every outlet and added a new sushi and asian restaurant in our Tequila Library.. Since we have made these changes, many of our guests have given us outstanding reviews on the overall Food and Beverage service. However, . even today, we receive feedback telling us there are still a few opportunities to improve to make it a flawless experience. I enjoy the challenges to create the perfect experience for every one of our guests knowing how difficult it is to please everyone's own taste.. With that said even today we are changing the menus to keep them fresh and cutting edge to ensure we can exceed the most discriminating palate. Please give us another opportunity and come try us again.. reach out to me directly or your travel agent and let us create the perfect experience for you. my email is graeme.davis@rosewoodhotels.com.. I am always available to ensure our guests leave with the best possible experience. Our apologies for last year and look forward to making it up to you. Warm Regards. Graeme Davis.. Managing Director