“The best experience of our lives”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Bogota, Colombia
“The best experience of our lives”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We went to Rosewood hotel for our honeymoon with very high expectations and they were completelly fulfilled. The cullinary experience is outstanding, offering superb and ellaborate dishes at every restaurant they have. All the staff at the hotel were more than friendly to us, very helpful all the time, and always with a big smile on their face. Can´t describe with words how happy they made us.

, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Sr. Higuera thank you very much for the glowing praises and to know we have created the best experience of your lives together at Rosewood Mayakoba! Congratulations on your wedding and thank you so much for choosing us for your very special honeymoon! We take great pride on creating those special moments and experiences every day and so glad to read that once again we made a difference for you and your wife. Look forward to having your return for those annual anniveraries or any occasion just to enjoy our genuine hospitality.. Wish you both all the very best and warm regards...Graeme Davis..Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Korean first
Ardmore Ok
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at Rosewood Mayakoba 5-30-12 to 6-03-12. Even though it rained a large majority of our trip, we had a BLAST!!!! This resort cannot be beat. From the time we arrived, until we checked out, we were treated like royalty. Every single employee went above and beyond. I can't imagine anyone not being 100% satisfied with every aspect of this resort. Thank You Rosewood Mayakoba for giving us an experience we will never forget!!!!

Room Tip: lagoon suites provide more privacy.
1 Thank Jana M
Austin
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our third visit to Rosewood Mayakoba in three years. Our first two visits were outstanding. The third was absolutely spectacular. The new GM has raised the standard of excellence even above and beyond what we normally expect and receive from a Rosewood property. The staff and service were wonderful, making us feel very comfortable and welcomed, and catered to our every need and desire (being very proactive and gracious without being obtrusive). The architecture, surroundings, rooms, and décor are incredible – beautifully integrated within the beach and mangrove forest natural environment. We had several meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) at their two main restaurants and the quality and service and setting was uniformly and consistently great. For the first time, we visited the two other Mayakoba properties (Fairmont for lunch at Las Brisas; and Banyan Tree for dinner at Saffron). The architecture, setting, and layout of Rosewood were much more to our liking, and as such we would not consider staying at either of the other two for future visits. However – Saffron was excellent – the décor and food exceeded our high expectations. Fairmont on the whole seemed less elegant and more dated; Las Brisas had a more broad (i.e, generic) lunch menu, yet it was not as tasty as lunch at Rosewood’s beach restaurant Casa Bonita – a head-to-head comparison of chips, salsa, guacamole, and fish tacos yielded a clear winner in Casa Bonita, for about the same price. Again -- having stayed there now three times, there is plenty more I could say; for this most recent trip suffice to say that there is not a single opportunity I could give for any constructive feedback or things that we would have wanted differently. When the General Manager and Resort Manager meet you upon your arrival and departure, and check on you periodically throughout your stay, you feel very well taken care of. One final comment and recommendation – the spa area is perfect. My wife had a massage which she loved. But we came each day to the spa to enjoy the adult-only spa pool (which is sparse or empty each day), along with the well-equipped fitness center, and the men’s and women’s areas – private outdoor showers, drench shower, cold plunge pool, steam room, sauna, whirlpool, and so on. You leave very relaxed after spending time there. Feel free to contact me through this site if you would like more detailed information or have specific questions.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great choices, it all depends on your needs and interest. We've always sta...
5 Thank John H
, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Hello John! Cannot thank you enough for returning to us again for the third time!!! So glad to read that you have noticed the changes we have made around the property.. We continue to maintain a relentless pursuit in creating the perfect experience for every guest.. I can say we truly have the best team of employees. We take pride in creating a great environment for our team to feel inspired every day so they can feel great about taking care of our guests and constantly train to create the best experience... So glad to read as well that you enjoyed again all the property and to know we have the best chips, salsa, guacamole and fish tacos out of the properties you compared at our Punta Bonita restaurant!. I will certain share those comments with my culinary team! I too love the spa area and was pleased to read your additional comments.. We have received many accolades on the spa and were just voted by Conde Nast Traveller's readers poll as being tied for 2nd place in all of Central America and Mexico as having the best Spa. So nice you pointed out the experience at the spa as it is a magical setting. Look forward to seeing you back for your 4th visit and again thank you so much for your continued loyalty in Rosewood Mayakoba. Safe Travels and warm regards...Graeme Davis...Managing Director
Calabasas, California
Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you are considering staying here I can't say anything bad about the experience. I have stayed at all of the highend chains and can't remember an experience like this. The resort is expansive and well maintained. The food is Great with two dining options with excellent food. Breakfast is excellent with a main menu and buffet our breakfast was included, no matter what we ordered it was included for example sometimes the coffee in hotels is not strong enough so I order cappuccino, most resorts charge extra, the rosewood didn't There is a tequila bar with tapas as well. The tequila selection is among the best I've seen. Expect to pay for the premium brands but the prices are not outrageous. My wife and I ate and drank well and spent about $300 daily on incidentals. The spa is beautiful as well as the gym. the rooms are spacious, we had a beachside lagoon suite. Very nice and spacious. Very comfortable beds and linens.

We have stayed at the grand velas down the road also nice, but no comparison to the rosewood. Grand Velas is great for families. I would not bring my kids to the rosewood because I feel it is more of a couples resort but kids do come and appear to have a great time. Hope this is helpful.

10 Thank love69totravel
Memphis
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I'll keep this review brief, as plenty has already been said about this resort and it holds true. We just returned from a 5 night stay and we could not have been happier with our stay. This was my first stay at a Rosewood resort and we are converts. Not only can I not think of a problem during our stay, I can't even give a suggestion for improvement. People who know me and my past reviews of hotels will find this hard to believe.

The staff is truly amazing and clearly well trained by management.

The rooms on the canals (mangroves) are stunning, providing a nice contrast after a day at the beach (and a really up close look at wildlife from your plunge pool). If you're into architecture, you'll be wowed everywhere you go, from your room to the restaurant.

Cocktails and food were quite good. No sugary, neon green margaritas. Fresh ingredients are the rule for food and drink here.

Not sure what else to say other than "go and enjoy".

4 Thank bwhite00
graeme d, General Manager at Rosewood Mayakoba, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear BWhite00,
Thank you very much for the kind words and glad to know you have found the perfect place with amazing service. We do take great pride in having a team of employees that truly care about service and take great pride in their resort. You chose a great suite over the lagoon which I too believe are magical watching the over 200 species of animals going by in the lagoons. Never a moment goes by without seeing the magic of nature pass by. Thank you as well on the food and beverage comments.. We do go the extra step in squeezing all of our own fruit juices and even extract our own special vegetable juices daily for our restaurants.. Glad to read you noticed the special touches. It was terrific to read that you are now "Converts" to Rosewood Mayakoba after your first visit and we look forward to welcoming you home again very soon.. Thank you very much again for the glowing review and your recommendation... Warm Regards...Graeme.. Managing Director
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I usually dont write reviews but we had such a fantastic vacation last week that I feel I should share the experience. I normally try to stay at top hotels so I dont have to worry about anything. I've never written about any of them. Well I got that and more on this vacation. We travelled with our three children to Rosewood for a week of R&R. We were greeted promptly at the airport and then at the hotel. The general manager also greeted us at the entrance and personally made sure that our room was to our satisfaction. I booked the trip through my AMEX so We were upgraded to a three floor private residence by the beach. Wow! Our butler (nick) made sure that we had everything. He would meet us in the morning at breakfast and take down anything that we needed. the staff all knew our names and the children's names.

I think the children enjoyed the trip more than we did. They would be in the kids club, on eco-tours, at the beach, and in the pool. They had activities and just lots of fun. I would highly recommend this hotel both for couples and for families. I cant say enough. I'm looking forward to going back next year.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade and a residence in the 500's
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank lazerdoc
Dear Doc,
Thanks so much for the glowing praise... Great to know that you and especially the kids had a great time with us... There is so much for children to do within Mayakoba and the surrounding area of Play Del Carmen and Tulum... Lots of fun culture for the kids and plenty of space for all to spread out at the resort so everyone can have their space and enjoy the natural serenity. We can't thank you enough for joining us on your first visit and do look forward to your return next year or sooner with the entire family....Bring some friends!!! Wish you a great summer...Warm Regards...Graeme...Managing Director
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed May 24, 2012

where to start..

• Wherever we went, the staff knew our names
• The staff seemed anxious to help
• If someone did not know the answer to your question, they found someone who did an brought them to you
• Grounds were clean and everything looked perfectly manicured, like a postcard picture
• Although there were people around us, we never felt crowded
• Rooms felt more like a vacation home, and that is how they welcomed us.. to our home
• Excellent food and I’d recommend dinner on the beach and/or in the wine cellar
• Spa was nicely isolated, which added to the relaxation
• We left the resort relaxed and thinking of our next trip

Room Tip: Lagoon suites were very peaceful and private
2 Thank DJRKC