2,020 results
All reviews punta bonita plunge pool lagoon suite outdoor shower la ceiba jose maria agave azul spa island sense spa banyan tree golf cart butler service eco tour four seasons sun deck personal butler las ventanas
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just got back a week ago from Mayakoba. I have to say my husband and I were in pure bliss! Aside from the check in woman who we both thought was snobby and not very friendly, the rest of the stay was perfect. Gabriel was such a friendly and accommodating pool server. All the rest of the staff was great. The food at both restaurants were good, not great. We had everything from sea bass to lobster pizza to ceviches of all types. Catch of the day was nothing great, even our server didn't sound too enthused about it, but I tried it anyway. Room was spectacular over the lagoon. The birds chirping every morning was amazing! Would definitely go back! Couldn't really go in ocean, lots of rocks and water was rough.

Room tip: Loved over water lagoon.
2  Thank travelerRockville_MD
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We spent 10 days here during peak February break (presidents day week), as well as a few days afterwards. It was truly like two hotels.

During break - kid fest
- almost every party staying at the resort seemed to have kids with them. Some babies, few over 10 or 12. The resort can definitely accomodate the traffic - you do not need to wait for chairs or miss out on a chair at either location (pools or dining). However, the noise level was higher than anticipated.

After break - Rosewood tranquil
- reminded us of Las Ventanas, but a little more laid back and definitely much larger than Los Cabos. Quiet, serene, breaktaking.

The service is not Las Ventanas, but its definitely better than other resorts. (E.g., definitely better, more personalized service than a Ritz)

We enjoyed our stay but toy with the idea of being there when there are less families. We did travel with our kids (10 and 12).

The resort actively markets to families with babies and toddlers, so expect to see at least a few families with kids at this resort any time of the year.

Accomodations, grounds, buildings - as stellar as noted in other reviews.

Room tip: If you like the beach, ask for a suite in 300/500/600; found the 100's near the spa have a great view. We spent most of our time in 400 - which was a perfect blend.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
7  Thank Lisa D
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We visited the Rosewood Mayakoba in February 2012 and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, were looking forward to a luxurious vacation. We should have put more stock in the negative reviews – our experience was anything but the luxury we anticipated.

First, there are some positives. The rooms are incredible -- they are large and well maintained. Likewise, the plunge pools are large and can be heated to an almost hot tub-like temperature, which is very nice. The complimentary snacks at the pool and beach are excellent and far better than we’ve received at Four Seasons and other comparable hotels. The hotel also provides complimentary coffee and cookies in the morning, but does not advertise it and we only happened to stumble upon this on our last day. The gym is nice and well stocked with equipment (although it did start to smell and become cramped when I shared it with 5 other guests during a mid-day rain storm). Finally, much of the staff is lovely and accommodating. (However, as noted below, there were some staffers who were downright rude) Also, if you are willing to pay for it, have the hotel make arrangements for a driver to and from the airport. This was lovely and made the start and end to our trip stress free.

On to the disappointments:
1. There is construction on the beach. It is loud and was going on all day, every day during our stay. This is a different construction from some of the pictures on Trip Advisor of the unfinished residences that are visible from the beach front rooms. Perhaps because of this construction, guests are cramped together at the beachside pool and only about 10-15 beach chairs are available on the slice of beach not directly in front of the construction.
2. The beach itself is narrow (i.e., not much width between the stairs leading to the beach and the ocean). What this means for guests of the Rosewood is a constant stream of walkers from other hotels coming a bit too close for comfort. There is an all-inclusive Sandals to the left of the hotel and it’s guests tended to walk the beach past the Rosewood and towards the Banyan Tree (which is to the right of the Rosewood). For this reason, if you are staying in a beach front room, I would recommend requesting one that is farther away from the pool area. The beach is a bit wider there and/or the rooms more set back, so those rooms looked to be a bit more private.
3. The pools have issues too. The pool that is adjacent to the beach is quite small. During peak vacation time, I suggest you get up early to get a spot this pool. At one point, there were four or five couples in the pool at the same time and it was virtually filled to capacity. Since space was limited at the beach, we tried the pool next to reception and the restaurant one day. This pool is large and there is plenty of space, but there are a few problems. First, here is absolutely no breeze at the lobby pool and it was HOT. We could not sit there all day and certainly not in the middle of the day when the sun is at its strongest. Second, the balcony of the breakfast buffet overlooks the pool and we found it odd to be laying out below diners. Note that the lounge chairs at both pools and the beach are extremely uncomfortable and we expected better from the Rosewood.
4. The food is not acceptable. I know that many have praised the food in their reviews, and perhaps we are more critical because we live in New York City where there are excellent Mexican restaurants. All of the food -- in every single restaurant and from room service -- was low quality and poorly prepared. Much of the food tasted like it was premade and reheated (have you ever eaten microwaved steak? Disgusting) In fact, we were told by one waiter that we could not make changes to dishes on the menu because the food was prepared before service. I personally had stomach issues for days after returning home and wish I had heeded some of the older reviews that mentioned the same. Some culinary advice: (a) Skip the tequila bar, except for the beverages. The food there is inedible and the menu is too limited; (b) Breakfast is the best meal of the day at the Rosewood and room service was a notch better than the restaurant offerings; (c) Don’t expect Mexican food offerings like table side guacamole or authentic Mexican rice, we’ve had better from Uncle Bens; (c) The small plates at dinner at the beachside restaurant were the best the hotel has to offer.
5. Overpriced is an understatement when it comes to eating at the Rosewood. None of the prices on the menus include tax or service charge. An ocean side pizza listed at about $12 probably turned out to be closer to $20.
6. The breakfast buffet is the best meal of the day, but it too is extremely expensive and the staff does not offer the less costly options unless you specifically ask (so thank you to Trip Advisor members that included this in their reviews!). To me, this is just poor form. But, make sure to watch your bill at breakfast. Even when we told our waiter that we wanted the continental buffet and did not order anything off of the menu (which is part of the regular, all inclusive buffet), our waiter charged us full price because he noticed that we took some cheese off of the buffet. We had done the same on all prior mornings and were never advised that cheese was not part of our dining selection. (I mean, it is sitting right next to the fruit) The resulting exchange to lower the bill was quite nasty and left a sour taste in our mouths.
7. Upon arrival, the hotel puts a “hold” on your credit card of an outrageously large amount. It probably was three or four times more than our actual bill. While this amount is not charged, the hold, the front desk admitted that the hold takes a few days to be released after checkout. This is not only strange, but it could cause a problem for someone with a low credit limit on their card. Our conversation with the front desk about this practice was tense and two different staffers could not properly explain the practice.
8. Bring bug spray, especially if you plan to sit on your patio overlooking the lagoon.
9. Do not expect peace and quiet. Rooms are either attached or spitting distance from neighbors. This means that you cannot sit on the patio or be in the plunge pool without hearing your neighbors if they are doing the same.
10. The wireless is spotty if you are trying to connect to the Internet with more than one device at a time. In other words, you cannot both be on laptops at the same time.

Room tip: We preferred our lagoon room located on the path to the beach over those closer to the fitness center. This way, we could quickly walk to breakfast and could catch the golf carts en route to/from the beach. If you are staying in a beach front room and do not mind that you might see the remants of unfinished construction, consider asking for a unit farther away from the pool where it is quieter, the beach is thicker and the units are set back farther from the ocean.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
65  Thank SKara
Reviewed February 27, 2012

My husband and I just returned home from an 8 night stay at the Rosewood Mayakoba. There was good and bad, and for me, I would have needed a perfect experience to give the hotel five stars. First, the good...

1. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous. We stayed in a studio lagoon suite. They are clean, large, private and amazing! There was nothing missing here. We thought our location in Room 318 was terrific too! Just a short walk to anywhere we wanted to be.
2. We spent our days by the pool away from the beach (there were a lot of little kids at the beach pool and since we were traveling without our teenage kids......)
3. George, an attendant at the pool. He was awesome! He set up our chairs every day and kept checking throughout the day to see if we needed anything.
4. The unlimited complimentary bottled water. I am a HUGE water drinker and to have this amenity was great!
5. The friendliness of the staff. Everyone always says hi and smiles, but I would not say that people knew our name by the end of our 8 day stay.
6. The "amenities" handed out at the pool. Every couple of hours, the pool staff would hand out a little smoothie or taste of food.
7. The spa/workout room. Both are complimentary, so take advantage of them! Although the workout room is small, the equipment is state of the art and there are towels, snacks and water. Every afternoon, I would take a nice swim in the spa pool (aka the adult pool). Then, my husband and I would either go for a steam, sauna or jaccuzi.
8. The restaurants were accommodating with food. I am a picky eater, and they allowed me to make changes to the dishes.

The bad:
1. As the week went on, and the resort became more crowded, the service at the restaurants was much slower and less attentive than the beginning of the week.
2. The restaurants. We found the food to be good, but not very gourmet. However, we did leave to go to the other two resorts at Mayakoba (the Fairmont and Banyan Tree) for three different meals. I have to say that those meals were stellar! Also, the hotels offer complimentary shuttle service between all of the Mayakoba resorts
3. The lack of help from the concierge. We had requested through our butler to have a reservation at El Puerto at the Fairmont. He confirmed it for us. When we should up for dinner, they said that there was no reservation for us. We ended up calling over to the Rosewood, where they tried to tell us that our Buter had changed the place; I knew that was not true. Anyway, my point is that the other two times we went to the other resorts, we went on our own volition and had no problem getting a table. So, there was no need for the conceirge or butler...go on your own and experience these resorts yourself.
4. Complete lack of nightlife. Although it is nice to have peace and quiet, there were absolutely no guests out after dinner....not hanging by the pool or in the bars. Perhaps if the hotel had some kind of music or entertainment, it would draw more socialness
5. There is really no beach. My husband and I are not beach people so this didn't really bother us, but I could see it being an issue. The beach is very small
6. The spa. Our body wrap and massages were average at best.
7. The beds were too soft for our liking.

11  Thank stephj18
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We came here on our babymoon for 5 days the beginning of February. Everything was what we expected and more! I was only 15 weeks along so barely showing yet almost every single staff member knew we were on our babymoon and asked how I was feeling everyday (or how the baby was that day). The service here is out of this world. They made our stay so relaxing and enjoyable. I would highly recommend it if you can spend the money and want a quite trip. The pools were always perfect temperature and the never crowded. Only downfall is not many food options on the resort but be sure to take advantage of the Fairmont and Banyan Tree restaurants to get some variety (note: some restaurants in Fairmont are closed on Monday nights, making the other restaurants there very busy. Save Rosewood restaurants for Monday night for sure). Also, the spa is amazing! Highly recommend!!!! We are going back to Rosewood for an adult trip after the baby is here!