“It was the most amazing vacation we have had”
Review of Rosewood Mayakoba

Rosewood Mayakoba
Ranked #1 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“It was the most amazing vacation we have had”
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We arrived at the Rosewood Mayakoba and from the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty! The hotel is gorgeous and our villa was just beautiful! The food and the service were impeccable. We will certainly be back!

1 Thank vanessajoffe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (488)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2011

My wife and I just returned with our 10 month old son from a week at the Rosewood Mayakoba and it was wonderful. I can typically find at least a couple things to note that need improvment but everything here was first class. The service was outstanding -- I can't recall a single time it was anything but. The staff knew my son's name as soon as we arrived and remembered it througout the trip. The facilities were all in great condition -- pool restaurant, spa etc. The design of the place is really striking as well. I would highly recommend for families or just couples. It also felt very safe and secure for those of you that may be worried about the headlines from Mexico -- at no point did we ever see or feel anything out of the ordinary -- it really wasn't even a consideration once we arrived. We stayed in the beachside lagoon view rom and it was great -- close to the beach and the pool but very quiet and private too. All round a great experince -- certainly on par with One & Only resorts and other luxury properties.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank TFamilyNYC
New York City
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My girlfriend and I just stayed at the Rosewood Mayakoba from May 25 until May 30. The Rosewood was everything I hoped it would be and more. It's simply beautiful, the service is just amazing, it's peaceful, relaxing, the accommodations are terrific. There's really not much more you could want if you are looking for a romantic, peaceful vacation.

I won't describe everything about the property as many have done that already, though I will say, there's still something awesome about being taken to your suite in a boat to your private dock, even if you never get on the boat again during your stay. Having a suite overlooking the lagoon is amazing. I loved having the plunge pool, even if I didn't use it all the time. It was great to have for certain moments.

We enjoyed a one bedroom, two bath suite (we were upgraded at check-in). It's just incredible. The bathroom with outdoor shower, and the tub and regular shower that faces a private glass wall is spectacular. The suites are just amazing. The grounds are gorgeous. As for getting around. I had read about people walking or wanting to stay closer to the beach or lobby for shorter walks, etc. I will say this. We stayed in an area that was not really convenient to walk to either area (though in reality, we probably could have walked to the lobby area, but we were on vacation and had no desire to do so). But the golf carts come by so often to escort you wherever you want to go that to me, it doesn't matter where you stay on the property. We never had a problem waiting for transportation to go anywhere.

I also have to compliment the service. The service is more than top notch. Everyone is so friendly and helpful, it's almost unreal. Somehow, by the second day, everyone knew my name and was always calling me by my name and asking how they could help. It's amazing, and really makes you feel special while on vacation.

For the pool areas, most people go to the pool by the beach. We were there a few times but loved going in the morning to the pool by the main lobby. It was always more quiet and peaceful. The pool is amazing, and with less people there, you really feel like you are in paradise and the servers there can really give you personal attention. Every so often they come around with treats like ice cream, ice pops, and other goods, always bringing you bottles of water, etc. If you think of moving your chair, they are there to assist you. I'm not one to give personal shout outs in reviews. I always found that weird. But I have to give credit to Russell, our server at the Lobby pool who every day was nothing short of the best. Manuel was great too, as were others, but Russell was our guy.

The beach pool was beautiful too, just busier during the day. When we went, we went towards the late afternoon when it settled down, and even were there one night close to 7:00 p.m. It was so peaceful, it was perfect. The beach is nice, just not very big. The sand was nice though to walk on.

I'm not a huge foodie, but I thought the food was very good. Only problem we had the whole trip was Taco Night at the restaurant by the beach. The service was slow and we got the wrong orders when it did come (we even had to remind them about our appetizers we didn't receive that came with the meal), etc. Not a big deal. We were in paradise and refused to let a poor taco night interfere with our trip, but when they charge you $45 per person for tacos, it should be better than that. We're not complainers so we didn't say anything, but the infamous taco night became the running joke of the trip.

We also ate at Saffron at Banyan Tree one night. I'm not a Thai food guy, but the restaurant was so beautiful, you should definitely give it a try. It's also great that you can charge it to your room at Rosewood. The free shuttle between properties is great, and it's nice to be able to see the other properties at Mayakoba. We personally thought Rosewood was nicer, but in truth, you probably can't really tell unless you stay at a property, but it made us appreciate Rosewood even more.

The Rosewood spa was tremendous too, though the pool at the spa, in all honesty, was not very clean with lots of leaves floating around. It's surrounded by a lot of trees, so it's hard to keep clean (we were told by a guest they cleaned it that morning, so it must be just hard to keep clean where it's located). We had a couples massage one day and thought we'd spend the hours before the massage at the spa pool. No deal. We were there for about 15 minutes and went back to the lobby pool. But everything else about the spa is beautiful and first rate. The massage was in a hut (I don't know what to really call it) overlooking the lagoon, and the therapists were brilliant. Being a guy, I requested a masseuse (I've made that mistake before), but all therapists are female, so I was covered.

All in all, the place is amazing. It was an unbelievable vacation. The service is just better than top notch. They make you feel so special, and any request you have, they are right on it. The place is relaxing, it's everything I hoped it would be for a trip with my girlfriend. I would recommend it to anyone I know thinking about going there or a place like it. It's top notch all the way.

3 Thank bluedevil
Denver
Reviewed June 3, 2011

My husband and I visit Playa del Carmen with my family typically 2x per year. We did not stay at the Rosewood Mayakoba but we enjoy visiting the local Top-End hotels for dinner. We first dined at Punta Bonita and had a slight issue with our entrées. HOWEVER, after I contacted the hotel and voiced my concerns, we were pleased to revisit a second time only to have a 5-Star experience. The food is fabulous, the service is wonderful, and the hotel is truly beautiful and one of a kind. I appreciate their attention to guests concerns, even when they are not staying at the property. I believe this really sets them apart as a 5-Star facility.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank love4vacations
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2011

This resort, about 35 minutes south of Cancun, had a guarded entrance.The weather was perfect. The air was balmy. Lots of flowers are used in the landscaping. The suites were beautiful and well appointed. Our dock and a plunge pool were below the patio where we had breakfast and watched the colorful tropical birds and iguanas on the island across the lagoon. We had a private outdoor shower and a rooftop sun deck where one could watch the stars at night. Housekeeping was discrete and competent. The ice bucket was always full and the whole place was pristine clean. The food at both restaurants was excellent. We ate at the Punta Bonita Restaurant down by the beach most often. The chef there even prepared a special meal for us. There is a spa and golf course which we did not use. They seem to be giving a stab at ecological correctness with water treatment, mangroves and undeveloped areas.The place is pricey and high end...and a great experience!

1 Thank MayL_11
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We went to Rosewood Mayakoba on our honeymoon, it was a last minute decison and it was a bit expensive, yet it was the perfect decision. We stayed at the lagoon suite and it was amazing. It had all we wanted from the private pool to the sundeck and 2 terraces, one at the pool side and the other in the 2nd floor, we were surrounded by the lagoon and lovely green scenery. Also, the suite was amazing inside out along with a huge space for the bathroom, tubs, and outdoor shower. People there were very friendly and smiling, which was a cheerful thing to have. All requests were met with attention and in a very timely manner even the smallest requests were taken in consideration. I would really love it to go back on our anniversary next year:)

Room Tip: Lagoon Suite had it all and stil close to beach