“Phenomenal”

Ranked #1 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
“Phenomenal”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

This was the most absolutely perfect resort. Everything to the smallest detail was perfect.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Torrid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Korean first
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My girlfriend and I just returned from a fantastic 7-day vacation at Rosewood Mayakoba. Although I have traveled extensively throughout the Caribbean (and a few in Mexico) at most of the “top-rated” properties, this is by far my favorite resort.

Here is how I would rate each component of the resort:

Room: A+
I booked via AMEX Platinum so at the time of check-in, we were upgraded to a huge two-level Deluxe Overwater Lagoon Suite. From the water, you enter through the a foyer which opens up to a dining room and then a living room with a huge flat screen TV, full size bar and powder room with a shower. Floor to ceiling glass ran on one side of the entire room. Upstairs, a large bedroom overlooked the lagoon and the bathroom was amazing. It spread both indoors and outdoors with a shower in what I call a private courtyard. Although the walk to the beach was about 8-10 minutes from our suite, it was a nice way to get a little exercise if we decided to walk. Golf carts ran often so a quick ride was always available.

Food: A
We thoroughly enjoyed the cuisine at the three restaurants. We ate breakfast every morning outside at Casa Del Lago (CDL). The cold breakfast selections and juices were tasty and the accompaniments of eggs, pancakes, French toast, etc. from the menu were all very good. We typically ate lunch at Punta Bonita (PB). The selection of salads, sandwiches and snacks were again excellent. We split going out to dinners between CDL and PB. CDL was more formal and offered more American cuisine like pastas, beef tenderloin, duck. PB was more casual and had a Mexican and Tapas flair. Two nights we ate off-property at Banyan Tree and Mandarin which I would recommend doing. We also had some sushi and cocktails at Agave Azul Raw Bar. If CDL has the wine and cheese tasting, definitely do it.

Pools/Beach A
The resort has three fantastic pools. We really enjoyed the CDL pool where the size, views, service, and architecture are all incredible. I am not exaggerating when I say that we were the only people using that pool most days. Complete serenity. The beach infinity pool at PB was also beautiful. This is definitely where people (and their kids) go during the day. Plenty of cabanas and chairs around the pool and on the beautiful white, sandy beach. The ocean was clean and spectacular with just light waves to enjoy. Since my last visit, the beach has definitely shrunk so hopefully there are plans to increase the beach/sand area like they did in many other areas around Cancun.

Spa: A+
My girlfriend enjoyed a relaxing massage one day at the spa. She was very complimentary of the facilities and staff. They were very pleasant and professional. The facilities are some of the best you will ever see. Definitely splurge and book something.

Golf: A+
I played some golf right after the PGA tour was at El Camaleón. The course bends through three distinct landscapes - tropical jungle, dense mangroves, and oceanfront stretches of sand with holes bisected by massive limestone canals.
Course was in fantastic shape so book a tee time and enjoy a quick round of golf as I didn’t see too much play going on.

Service: A+
We were very impressed with the responsiveness, caring, and thoughtfulness of the entire staff at the resort. It all began with a quick and efficient pickup in their Escalade from the airport and finished the same way. Everyone from the pool wait staff, waiters in the restaurants, spa attendants, even the people that drive the boats and golf carts really took great pride in always addressing us by our names and always being very proactive in delivering an amazing client experience. If you are used to Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton service, you will love Rosewood Mayakoba.

I would highly recommend this luxurious property to the most discerning traveler. Please feel free to email me with any questions or if I can provide you with any additional insight. Adios!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank esposch
NYC
Reviewed April 13, 2011

On most levels a seasoned traveler will find this to be well worth the $$$$$ ! The design was well thought out except for some minor issues in the bath. The staff in general is a step above the rest. The food was good nothing extraordinary... You must try the tamarind margarita with habanero chili infused tequila!!! The spa was special. If your having a good year as a result of the market go for it , you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank vimatravel
colorado
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We loved the Rosewood Mayakoba. Our townhouse was sumptuous with all the amenities, including a complimentary bottle of milagro tequila. The property was beautiful, peaceful and chock full of birdlife on the lagoons. The beach is beautiful although we sometimes preferred the main pool because it was more protected from the oceanside wind. The staff was excellent and the restaurants served delicious dinners. We ventured off the property to COBA and had an excellent private tour with a gentleman named Oscar, followed by a swim in the cenotes and lunch in Tulum which was by far our favorite meal of the entire 5 days. We will undoubtedly return in the future when we are craving the beach, the ceviche and the perfect margaritas.

Room Tip: Call reservations, they know which rooms work best
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank coloradomd
Sydney
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Arriving into the reception area we were just taken back with the beautiful view..the friendly welcome was nice and warm..
The boat tour showing us around the lagoons and explaining the place was truly great
And then we got into our room...we were welcomed by our private butler...the life of the rich and famous :)
the first thing we saw was our own private plunge pool...oh god...n then we walked in...I swear I don't think I can ever stay in a normal hotel...ever again!! It was huge and gigantic!! I almost got lost trying to get from the bathroom to our bedroom!!
Huge closet space...indoor and outdoor shower and a lovely terrace sitting area..
This is what paradise feels like...and I am glad I sure came here...LOVE IT!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rmjose8
New York City
Reviewed April 8, 2011

I have recently returned from a weekend getaway at the Rosewood Mayakoba. I was traveling with my husband for a quick and easy getaway to celebrate his birthday and enjoy some time alone, leaving our 3 year old back in NYC with family.
Traveling to the Mexican Riviera Maya is a piece of cake from New York and most other major U.S. and Canadian cities making this a perfect, simple, luxury getaway. Being that I am a travel agent specializing in Luxury and Corporate Travel, I arranged a VIP meet and greet service. As soon as I stepped from the plane I was met by a representative who quickly escorted me through customs and immigration avoiding all of the lines. I had only carryon luggage so it was just moments before the representative located my driver from The Rosewood Mayakoba and I was on my way. The hotel is about a 45 minute drive from Cancun Airport. The hotel will send a luxury suburban vehicle to transport you.
The RW Mayakoba is a contemporary property with a Mexican flair. The public areas are very impressive architecturally and make an impact from the moment you arrive.
The property has two very different sections, the lagoon section, and the beach section. You must be aware that very few rooms at this hotel are located near the beach. If you can afford to “pay the premium” for a room located in the beach section – it’s a must! Personally, I was confirmed in an entry level room which is called a Lagoon Suite however I did tour every other room category. The one thing that I can attest to is that every room at this property has “WOW FACTOR”.
The lagoon section is where most of the 128 suites are located as well as the Lobby, the main restaurant, the sushi bar, the Tequila library and billiard room. The beach section is where you will find the more casual restaurant, the infinity pool and the kids club. The two sections are separated by half a mile walk or can be easily accessed by golf carts which are continually shuttling guests around the property. The hotel is surrounded by crystal clear canals in and all of the rooms are located on water. All of the rooms are extremely spacious, private and luxurious. All are equipped with a private a plunge pool, ( the "overwater" suites are the most impressive rooms within the Lagoon Section). As for the décor, the suites are quite contemporary, but yet very nicely integrated with the surrounding nature, mainly a combination of stones and woods. The bathrooms are all very impressive. Most bathrooms have very sexy outdoor shower gardens, huge bathtubs and beautiful tiles. All rooms have very nice sitting/lounge area.
The overall service is excellent and the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful; you are also assigned a private butler to help you with any special needs. The food was quite good as well, featuring mainly authentic Mexican and continental cuisine.
The pool and beach area of this property are exceptional. The infinity pool literally hangs over the very white sandy beach. I have experienced almost every luxury hotel located on the Riviera Maya and I have to say that this hotel has one of my favorite beach/pool areas. In general, the hotel is very “adult like” however they do cater to children. I was pleasantly surprised to see an infant wading pool and a very nicely equipped kids club within the beach club area. If you are a couple traveling without kids I would strongly suggest staying away from this hotel during peak times such as Christmas/New Years, Presidents Week and Spring Break as I could imagine that it might become a bit overcrowded with kids by the pool area which is not very large or spread out. However, if you are a family traveling together and require connecting rooms, book early because the hotel does have a limited supply of connecting rooms.
All in all I recommend this property as a fantastic getaway for both high end families and couples. Please feel free to email me with any questions or if you would like my help recommending the best room locations, etc. and learn about any extra perks I can provide

Room Tip: Email me for best room numbers/locations
Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank aprotraveler
London
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Beautiful hotel. Rooms set on waterways. We stayed in the standard lagoon room and it was huge with a beautiful plunge pool, courtyard and outside shower. As a couple without kids we were glad we stayed there as families tend to gravitate towards the beach villas. Personally we preferred the lagoon villas as they were more private than the beach which were very exposed to people walking along the sand or overlooked the restaurant and pool. Those on the waterways were much quieter and spread out around the resort. This did mean you did look for a buggy to take you to the beach although you could walk. The main pool was beautiful and much quieter ie adult based than the beach pool which was the child focused area. the beach wS nice although next to the hotel is a half built set of villas where we understand the owner ran out of money to complete. Compared to other caribean hotels this is a lovely place, a little like an Asian hotel and it still looks very new as it's so well cared for. Great service and friendly staff. Would definitely return

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple