“Perfect Place”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #9 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Looking for a perfect place to chill, relax and enjoy the beach near Playa del Carmen? Petit Lafitte fits the bill. A quiet place just north of downtown Playa del Carmen ; about 45-50 minutes south of the Cancun airport. Awesome beach; and we enjoyed the bungalow lodging 200 yards from the water; loved the breakfasts and dinner (and we could barely finish all the food served to us).

Staff was exceptional! Totally took care of us -- stellar service and surpisingly great food at breakfast and dinner (included in the room rate we were quoted). My friend and I were there during the very low season; we got a great rate and we were some of the only guests at the hotel for the week after Labor Day. As a result, we felt like we had the place to ourselves; beach was nearly empty; staff was particularly attentive and hospitable (not that they wouldn't be when busy as well, but it made our time there very special).

Some of our favorite staff? David, the conceirge, bartenders Chucho (Jesus) and Box (Victor) as well and servers Geovany and Baldemaro and everyone else who made our stay so special.

A taxi to Playa was $140 pesos one way. We went in twice, but did rent a car for the day to go to Tulum (and the hotel staff took care of this for us and the rental company picked us up to go into Playa to go the car, which was nice).

Upon arrival, we took the ADO bus from Cancun Airport to Playa for $106 pesos and then a taxi to Petit Lafitte for $140. It was easy! And we were two women traveling solo upon arrival (and not together upon arrival). Very safe and not much Spanish required...

We were happy to chill at the hotel and beach most days, but I might consider renting a car next time. Between the transfer from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to Playa or other destinations, it might be worthwhile. Then again, who wants to drive home from Playa after a couple of margaritas?!!

Petit Lafitte is truly a special place, one I'm glad to have experienced. WE LOVED IT.

This is a simple, rustic, yet elegant place on a great, quiet stretch of beach just north of Playa del Carmen. This is not your typical resort that caters to Americans looking for an all-inclusive resort on the Riveria Maya. It has a Mexican feel and vibe to it, and that's why it was so special to me and my college buddy travel companion. It was really perfect.

The road in from the main highway is in pretty bad shape. We called it the Beirut road for fun. If possible, take the road leading in to the Hotel Princess and the follow signs from there.

Great place for couples. And my friend and I thought it would be particularly fun for an adult group of friends looking to have a great time for a special celebration, or just a good time. Get a bungalow if you can -- they are private and right on the sand, if not ocean front. Easily accomodate 2 adults, could manage 3-5 in a stretch (there is a loft double in most but I'm not sure how comfy it would be to be honest).

This place is so great I'm reluctant to tell others in the event it's "discovered" and too difficult to book in the future! SHHH. Don't tell just anybody!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank Bobeana
Write a ReviewReviews (1,590)

Reviewed September 10, 2010

We have had a great time in Pettit Laffite, the place is charming (beautiful beach and sea - a lot to see when snorchling, lovely garden), bungalows cozy and comfortable (air con, fridge...), very friendly and helpful staff, excellent food and drinks, a lot of possiblities for activities (diving, trips...).
We would love to come back, we can recommend the end of August as school starts in the US and there are not many people around.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marketa_tejcova
Reviewed September 7, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Petit Lafitte for 7 days in mid-August and we just love this place! If you are seeking a beautiful beach, clear blue/turquoise water with white sand-this is the place for you. If you are looking for more of a party atmosphere then I would recommend elsewhere. There are approximately 15 bungalows and 30 hotel rooms. We must have seen 20 guests our entire stay. Yes the rooms are basic, but they are very clean and the A/C works great. Here is a summary of a how we spent a typical day here:
Sleep in a little ( hey we're on vacation!) because breakfast is served till I think 10 or 1030.
Eat breakfast.
Hang out at the beach all day, reading, swimming, sunning and napping.
Eat lunch on the outdoor deck-they have the best ceviche!!!
Take an afternoon siesta to soak up some cool A/C in the room.
Have a before dinner drink. Eat dinner. Have more drinks; by the way the bar is next to the beach under a big palapa. You can have some drinks while listening to the waves and watching the moon reflect on the ocean.
Repeat day 2 through 7.
We did take a taxi for 12.00 US into Playa one night for drinks, and although it was fun, we really enjoyed unplugging back at Petit Lafitte.
Lastly, Hola to Victor at the bar--he makes the best Margarita we ever had! (ask for the Don Julio tequila). Also the Mango Margaritas were great! Hola to Javier, (yes Javier I will bring my whole family next time) Giovanny , Martin, Manuel, Felippe,David, Eduardo, Mariano. These guys are always smiling.
Besides all the wonderful things as mentioned above, it is the staff who really make this place great with their friendliness, smiles, charm and kindness! We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jfish930
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Totally awesome. We went for the upgraded bungalow and it was awesome. Food was awesome. Bar was awesome (Jesus = best bartender ever). Free wifi near the pool and dining area. Very happy!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ybarsabal
Reviewed August 30, 2010

My husband and my three year old were left more than satisfied after having stayed at Petit Lafitte. We were sad to leave after 11 days of kind and gentle service, clean and comfortable accomodations, good food, nice long sandy beach and gorgeous weather. Petit Lafitte is different from the big and busy surrounding resorts, Petit Lafitte accomodates no more than approx 50 people. We had a bungalow right on the beach with a perfect ocean view. The hammocks in the shade were a fabulous addition also. All we can do is recommend this place, to young and old. HAVE FUN AND LOOK FORWARD TO LOVING MEMORIES.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Thepack119
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I highly recommend Lafitte, I had a great experience. What can I say, everything. If you are looking for a place to relax, that is quite, very friendly, great service, with a nice pool and a great bar next to the beach that provides a great variety of fresh food and drinks of all kind.

OK let me list the highlights

1- The service was very friendly and very knowledgeable of what to do and where to go in Playa. They all are always very helpful and everybody makes sure you are doing ok and have a good time while you are there.
2- The rooms are very nice and comfortable, always very very clean, right next to the beach (I noticed that in the other hotels you have to walk quite a distance from you room to the shore line, and are also more expensive)
3- The Location is perfect. Not too close and not too far from Playa del Carmen, the perfect distance. When you first get there, the road is a bit bumpy and is not very sophisticated, but when you get to the hotel and get settled and look around then you realize what a great place it is. You have two options, you can take a taxi or you can rent a car. Renting a car is easy and if you do it online with Alamo or Hertz is cheaper
4- I was very impressed and very happy with the food. Their cuisine was amazing. I was there for 10 days and they never repeated the same dish twice, they always had something different to offer for dinner. The quality and presentation of the food was excellent. AGAIN, I was VERY HAPPY with their food, their breakfast, lunch and dinner are fantastic!
5- After dinner I could stay at the pool late at night listening to the ocean or by the bar having a drink, by the way the bar that provides a great variety of fresh food and drinks of all kind all day
6- In general the atmosphere of the hotel is perfect and you feel like family

I am definitely going back and I have been telling my friends to go there if they are looking for a place to relax close to Playa del Carmen

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

This was our first time staying at this quaint little gem. First and most importantly, the beach is gorgeous and not crowded at all. Swimming and snorkeling were perfect. the water is so blue and clear. The hotel is kept very well and our room was spotless. We stayed in a premium standard ocean view. All meals were excellent and the margaritas are to die for. They use fresh squeezed lime juice and none of that sugary mix. I highly recommend a mango margarita. Drinks are reasonably priced especially when ordering high end tequila. $8 for Don Julio. The staff are the most friendly and hospitable people I have ever met on vacation. They made sure to get to know us and traeted us like family. The pool is fabulous too. It is clean, deep, and refreshing. We had a wonderful time and plan on going back soon.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple