“Relaxing and Beautiful Vacation”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #9 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I just got home from Petit Lafitte, this hotel is nestled away from all the big hotels and it is the most beautiful treasure we found. We stayed in one of the bungalows, it was being in your home right on the beach. The food was amazing and the service is outstanding. Free internet access made connecting with the outside world a breeze, if you want to ;-).

Room Tip: Stay in one of the bungalows.... you will not be disappointed!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Hola Michele,

Thank you for your brief, but very positive review. We are honored to be considered a beautiful treasure found for a vacation among friends. Our idea when creating the concept of Petit Lafitte, came from the original Lafitte experience of Capitan Lafitte on a pristine beach and the hospitality you would receive when visiting a far away friend or family. So to hear you say it is like having a little home on the beach brings a smile to our faces. Thank you for liking us and for sharing your views with others.

Kind Regards,

Iván Fuentes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,592)

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I chose Petite Lafitte because I wanted to stay in a Bungalow. They do have hotel rooms, though I was looking for a different vacation experience. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor, and hence my choice Petite Lafitte. I cannot say enough for the warm welcome from Luis the personal assistance from every one and the lovely accommodations. Our bungalow was a rustic, ocean view, very roomy unit. It was extremely cozy, coffee maker, beds so comfortable, lovely bathroom, fantastic A/C unit, though the breeze is lovely and really do not need it and a fridge. The food.....what can I say, every day there was a delicious buffet for breakfast, with a variety of fresh fruits, and juices, pastry and cereals. However, there was also a lovely breakfast menu to choose from and could have both. Dinner was set up the same, lovely buffet, along with excellent menu choices and sides. The property has about 20 bungalows and 30 rooms, a lovely pool and beautiful beach. I loved every moment of my 8 day vacation. I cannot wait to return. It is a fabulous hideaway and my type of vacation. It is great for the bohemian, for the single person who loves to travel alone, a honeymoon, and a great place to celebrate a special occasion with friends as I had. Long gone are the days where I vacation at a huge property with a mile walk to the beach. I intend to become a yearly guest. It is not a place for spring break partying. Petite Lafitte is a laid back experience, which I searched high and low for and finally found it. When my friend and I left, the staff warmly hugged us good bye with sentiments of a safe journey. I cannot say enough how much, I loved this place. BTW there is lovely exotic bird sanctuary on the premises with Tucan's and Peacocks, truly lovely. Thank you Petite Lafitte! Always stay small and intimate, you are truly a gem and rare find!!

Room Tip: bungalows 1, 2, 3, 4 and 11 are great, actually, all the locations are a few seconds to the ocean on...
1  Thank Paula B
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear 791paulab,

We’re honored that you chose Petit Lafitte for your special celebration among friends. Nice that you stayed for 8 days. I think that always the first and last days are to unwind and to travel. So around 6 “free” days are awesome. Glad to hear that you are no longer the large resort types, and definitely a 60 step walk to the beach beats a mile walk any day. Thank you for your mention of the exotic bird sanctuary. As I’ve stated before, it is a big passion of one of the partners. We hope that happy, satisfied feeling last you a long time and that your eagerness to return drives you our way next year!

Greetings to the Big Apple from “Playita”

Iván Fuentes

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just returned from Petit Lafitte. Stayed at this hotel from 4.02.14 to 4.10.14.
Great vacation. This is a small resort hotel on one of the best beaches I have been anywhere. We stayed in the 2nd building from the beach. It does not matter where you stay at this resort, you are under 1 minute walk away from a great beach.
White soft sand and turquoise water. The beach was never crowded with plenty of shade if you wanted. The weather was perfect, with 9 days of sunshine and 85f temps. The rooms are a good size , and very clean. The food was excellent.
If you want to relax and enjoy tropical beach , this is the best place.
It s near Playa del Carmen , if you want nightlife.
Thanks to all the staff of this great resort for their excellent service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Hola paulguns,

We hope your return to New Jersey was a pleasant one. Thank you very much for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your 9 day stay and the uncrowded beach. We too enjoyed your company, and nice personalities. Thank you for blending in so well with the nature of things here and for sharing your review. Also thank you for the lovely photos you posted.

We hope our roads merge again sometime,

Best wishes.

Iván Fuentes

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Lisa and I stayed a week at Petit Lafitte at the suggestion of a friend, and we were so very happy with almost everything. We had been looking for the perfect spot to get away from the snow and cold, and Playa Del Carmen in February sounded devine. We first went the route of looking at all the big all-inclusives, and were wowed by the variety, the extravagances, and the prices. And we were a little leery of them, because neither of us is a big drinker, and we really were not looking to hang with that crowd. As well, neither of us eats a lot, and while having multiple restaurants might be nice, it really seemed like overkill.
Then a friend of Lisa's heard about our plans, and what we were looking for, and suggested Petit Lafitte. We looked at the web site, and it looked more and more like what we were looking for. And we booked a bungalow as soon as the airline tickets were decided.
We were blown over by what we experienced. The atmosphere was so laid back, and the people (both staffs and other guests) could not have been nicer or more courteous. We were especially appreciative with David (the concierge) for giving us helpful hints, and helping us to set up a few of the excursions that we went on while we were there.
We ended up in Bungalow 10, a beach view bungalow that was only one cabin back from the beach, and we had wonderful views, and breezes. The room was wonderful, and provided everything we desired. And having no TV or other distractions was a godsend.
Lisa especially appreciated how easy it was to set up a beachfront massage. Just sign up for a slot in the book at the front desk, or just stroll over during the day when the masseuse wasn't busy. The masseuse had a lovely tough, and helped Lisa to get out of the hectic day-to-day work mode, and learn to just relax and do nothing...which is quite a trick.
Another nice thing we appreciated about Petit Lafitte that fit us perfectly was the restaurant. Unlike a lot of the big resorts, only breakfast and dinner is included. But for Lisa and I, that was more than enough. We tried something new almost every day for breakfast, and everything was quite tasty. And the dinners were relaxed and truly enjoyable, with a couple of tantalizing entrees to choose from every night. As I recall, the stuffed salmon we had the first night of our stay was delectable, and the Mexican buffet night allowed us to try little portions of lots of authentic Mexican dishes. And while we did not order a lot of alcohol while we were there, the wine selections with dinner were very good, and enhanced the meals.
After a glorious seven days at Petit Lafitte, Lisa and I decided that the only thing we would change is to add more chocolate desserts, and maybe cut back on the flan. But that is probably our American side showing through.
Needless to say, as we were waiting for our shuttle to take us back to our flight, we made sure to reserve the same bungalow and week for next year!

Room Tip: While the beachfront bungalows look wonderful, we were perfectly happy with the beach view bungalow...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cycling_Man2009
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Cycling_Man2009

Wow, so you made your reservation for next year’s return before you left??
I mean…what a great honor!!. Thank you so much. That is the best reward for our efforts in trying to create special moments for our guests. We are so glad that you and Lisa liked our little hidden spot on the beach for your week in Mexico’s Caribbean Coast and even happier that you took Lisa’s friend’s advice to visit us. You are right about the kind of guests that come here, they tend to be open minded, friendly people that are as enjoyable as the staff. That gives Petit Lafitte an extra dimension. Thank you for using our little spa services and speaking so highly of our masseuse.
As you know we all live on word of mouth commendations.

Thank you for your visit, your review and your already existing reservation for 2015.

Have a great rest of the year and enjoy your summer.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had been here once before, for only 2 nights, and we got invited to join a wedding reception happening that night! Almost everyone there had been coming back for years. This visit was for 3 nights, on the tail end of a seminar week at another hotel in Playa. Our next visit will definitely be for longer. So many good reasons! The staff is great, service friendly and good. Our ocean view from our room was priceless! It's such a small, lovely place, right on a gorgeous beach ! The food is very good also. Our last night was a Mexican buffet, with the best bean soup I've ever had! Bean soup that we're still talking about! I asked for poached eggs with my chilaquiles one morning, and got 2 perfectly poached orange yolk eggs that they put on tiny pancakes! The rooms are simple, and you do have to put your toilet paper in the waste basket, not the toilet, which may not be for everyone, but to me it's OK, because this is such a wonderful place!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chefnd
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2014

Mr. chefnd,

Are you a chef? It sound like it , not only because of your nickname in this forum, but also because of your appreciation for something like poached eggs!! I mean we’re delighted you found such pleasure in the care for details, as delivered by our staff. We hope next time, your stay, as you intend, is a longer. I would give you a technical explanation on the toilet paper issue but, It has to do with the environment and with engineering. Nothing major, I’ll save the details. :)

Thank you again for your second visit and wee you next time!

All the best!

Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a nice six night stay at Petit Lafitte which included incredible views of the azure ocean, good food and friendly staff. Most people miss the pleasant small private zoo (well kept exotic birds and a few animals just next door, ask the guard). Our only complaint was the rooms. Although clean, they are old and not remodeled (our fan didn't work, the AC was noisy, and the beds were rather hard). We had a gorgeous partial ocean view on the third floor. Be aware that there aren't any elevators. It is hidden away in a very peaceful setting a few miles north of Playa del Carmen. We would stay again because it is still a great value.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear kpjpsp,

We’re glad you chose Petit Lafitte for your 6 day, family vacation and wish to thank you for your kind review for the staff, the food, the service and the location. Yes we are in the process of remodeling the rooms, but as the hotel is open and busy, it is a lengthy process and there are still some units we have not done yet I believe this was your case. I am also wondering If you turned on the ceiling fan with the interrupter located by the bed side table. If you tried just the little chains than hang from the fan, that may have been the cause of the problem. We check every single room prior to delivery the day of arrival and this things don’t go unnoticed.
It is nice that you enjoyed the animal refuge center. It is the passion of one of the partners of the hotel, and it is also a noble cause.

Thank you very much for your review and we hope that you comeback to Petit Lafitte sometime in the future.

Best of Luck and happy trails.

Ivan Fuentes

Reviewed April 9, 2014

For our visit Petit Lafitte was nearly perfect. I didn't want some mega, highly populated, lines of chairs grand hotel. Just simple, nice, small ...boutique. It fit the bill. If you want quiet, close beach access, and a place where the staff cares ... this is it. If you want a lot of activities, modern (US style) amenities, etc. this is not. Food was good, staff was great, rooms were ok. The hotel is older, but some could perceive this as quaint where others may think just old.

Room Tip: Choose ocean view. Also the bungalows don't have TV. This may be perfect for some, but restricti...
1  Thank juwila

Hola juwila!

Thank you for your review, that even while it was brief, it depicts our style in comparison to that of large resorts. We are so glad that you considered it nearing perfection. I often tell our coworkers that perfection lies in the eye of the beholder (like beauty) so basically I am admitting that we clicked!

Thank you very much for you words and for your preference.

Warm regards,