“Just Perfect!”

Ranked #6 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Just Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just completed another stay at Petit Lafitte, and nothing has changed-it is still wonderful!! We have been coming here around the same time for years, and meet up with a circle of friends from around the states who we met over the years at Lafitte.
Lafitte continues to be a wonderful place, with an exceptional staff. Jesus the bartender is one of the nicest and most accomodating people you will ever meet, and David, the concerege, consistantly goes out of his way to make sure you are always comfortable. The rest of the staff is totally attentive and will have remembered your name and preferences within a short time of your arrivial.
If you want glitz, and a beach crammed with people, this is not your place. If you want a small Mexican hotel right on the beach that you will totally enjoy, this is your place. Once you come, you will return time and time again.

Happy

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank upperwest2
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Hola Upperwest2!!

Ha, brief, eloquent and positive. What else can be expected from a loyal guest? A match made in heaven?? ( YES! literally). Thank you very much for your repeat visits and for helping create the February atmosphere, superbowl and groups of friend who travel around that time of the year! Thank you for your commendations and See you next year!!

Hugs!

Ivan Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Turkish first
Yuma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We spent a week here at Petite Lafitte in the middle of January. I think it was a bit overpriced, although the meals were a somewhat of a bonus, weather was nice for the first three days, overcast and 70's the last 3.

Pros : Great beach, bar on the beach, beautiful sand, great walking, rooms adequate, quiet, staff excellent, no vendors (the resort pays taxes from water's edge to property line)

Cons: Too far from town, the food at dinner was cold, terrible wine list, rooms were okay, no complimentary transportation to town, go to Copas Cobana for pizza next door, excellent.

Comments: It is $15 USD to town one way. Go to Walmart and get some wine or amentities for your room. You will appreciate Petit Lafitte if you walk down the beach and take a look at the all inclusives - ugh!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor otherwise if you have a room on the first floor everyone can...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 219LGH
Hola 219LGH,

Thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte and for writing about your experience with us. We appreciate your comments, and we wish to let you know that we are working on the issues that you present. We are surprised about the “cold” dinners…we wish to encourage future guests to bring this issues up at the moment when they are happening, we have a dinner host every night who is there to assist staff and guests in making dinner run smoothly. Wine selection…it seems to work for most palates and budgets, however we are open to suggestion, please expand! :)
Being far from town is something most guests appreciate as this results in privacy and less crowded beach. We are happy with this. Definitely if future guests need to be in the center of the action, this is a big factor to consider. What we lose in convenience of location we gain in convenience of privacy and quiet beach!

Yes our neighbors at Cocos, make a fantastic brick oven pizza at excellent prices.

Thank you for staying with us and for your review.
We wish you many happy future travels.

Yours truly,

Sumrall, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I traveled in early January. I am a seasoned traveler and a stickler to checking out a place and reviews a million times before going to a location. First off let me say David is like a "father" to his guest. My bf and I booked a private tour with a cab who was excellent by the way. We went snorkeling and felt very safe with leaving our valuables with him, when we were a few minutes late papa David was calling our driver making sure we were ok and pacing outside waiting our return. Reasonable and safe-highly recommend over a planned tour. Secondly I got the surprise of my life when my bf asked me to marry him in a hammock one night. Without being asked David had us a romantic lobster dinner with our own waiter and a bottle of wine all complimentary. Yes the rooms are a little dated and not for everyone but the water is beautiful the food pretty good(banana pancakes YUMMY!). The drinks are reasonable and Jesus is a very friendly bartender. Playa is a safe and wonderful area. Much more family friendly than cancun or Cozumel in my opinion. Can't wait to return! David kissed both my cheeks with a hug and congrats to us both on our departure. Already wishing I was back! Love to all!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Jennimarc
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dearest Jennimarc,

Well, what else to say?
You’ve said it all!!.
Your review illustrates well how a beach vacation can become memorable and last a life time. We trust that you and Marc will return for your honeymoon (Or even for your wedding??). Our hearts are merged as part of life’s experience and we are sure there are more moments to be shared and experience together.

Thank you very much for allowing us be part of your unique journey and Congratulations!!!

Kind Regards,

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Hotel-
This hotel is right on the beach and you will spend no more than 60 seconds on foot from hotel room to sandy beach unlike many other places. The rooms are nothing spectacular, but they are clean,comfortable and promptly looked after each day. I took my girlfriend. She is 26, I am 32. Besides the two or three children I saw, my girlfriend was prob the youngest adult I saw over the five days we stayed. We both did Cancun as college kids and enjoyed that as a party theme. This place and Playa Del Carmen in general have less tourist crap and more of the things adults look for. You can sleep all day if you wish with no loud music or frat kids. Our reservation came with included breakfast, dinner and good wi-fi. This food is good/great, absolutely no complaints. Mostly to order, sometimes buffet. David at the desk helped us find some activities like snorkeling and he even called the places for us.

-The drive to downtown is so easy, 5-10 minutes. Rent a car for $20 a day at Cancun airport for the freedom and convenience. Downtown is awesome. We went during the day to see the sights and at night to see 5th ave, awesome bars/restaurants. Grocery stores downtown, cheap beer and food for the mini fridge.

I have other stuff to do tonight, but I owe to the hotel/staff to write a good review. We will be back.

Location: B+
Staff: A+
Beach: A
Food: A
Value: A

Room Tip: We got upgraded to ocean view, Im told bungalows are cool.. rooms are rooms in my opinion.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear RyanP,

We hope your return to Madison, was pleasant and that the first spring warm winds are now gently blowing up there! Thank you for your commendations and feedback. For choosing Petit Lafitte and for writing a review about your experience with us.
We truly wish your intention of returning someday becomes a reality for all of us. It will be a great honor to see you and your girlfriend again.

Warm Regards,

St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is a great little hotel right on the beach. My husband and I were there 2 years ago and really enjoyed our stay, so we decided to return with our children. All the staff knew our names and children's names by the first night. The food was excellent. Jesus makes the best margaritas! I will be returning for sure!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Kristy P
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear KristyP,

Thank you for your second visit to Petit Lafitte hotel. We always enjoy seeing familiar faces as people get off the airport van, thank you for bringing your children this time! (The more the merrier!!) also for young children to be exposed to a different cultural experience, food, language and of course scenery it is a very large and positive impact...right?
Thank you for your brief and kind comments about the food and the Margaritas and we will take you on your word of returning for a third visit!

Kind regards,

Evanston, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

While I've stayed in more luxurious hotels, I've never been more relaxed than at Petit Lafitte. It's just a totally chill, unpretentious, low-key, slightly rustic, happy place. Everyone working there was very friendly and helpful; the rooms clean and comfortable; the adjoining beach perfect; the food varied and excellent; and the bar drinks about as good as they need to be for relaxing on the beach. While there are no planned activities for kids like at the big all-inclusive places, I felt the place was still very family friendly--we brought a 2 and 5-year old. I hope to make it back next year.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Hola MtPulpiter,

Thank you for treating your family, young kids included to a Petit Lafitte escape. We like to think that it is up to one to decide where luxury resides while anyone can buy an expensive towel or golden faucets, we try to prioritize service, and the things that are intangible. How great to hear that you found incomparable relaxation here. We are looking forward to a possible next visit with your family.

Be well and thank you for your review!

Sincerely

Iván Fuentes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a quick two-night getaway to Petit Laffite. If you are looking to escape the mega resorts, this is a perfect hideaway. All rooms are so close to the beach and pool area, which are mostly quiet and not overly crowded.

My only complaint- a staff member (she worked the front desk the day we arrived- Valenca) enjoyed herself a little too much on her day off. She brought a group of girls and they sounded like laughing hyenas for a solid two hours on the beach. We had to move chairs (and we could still hear them!) She was very loud, and it irritated me even more that she was a worker that didn't respect the other hotel guests. Even the little kids staying at the resort were well behaved! Aside from that one staff member, everyone else was sincere and accommodating.

The location on the beach is wonderful. The food was the best all inclusive we've eaten. Such a great variety of choices. Also, many guests were returning guests from years past- which speaks volumes about the place - they make people want to come back (including us!)

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Travelfool84,

Thank you for your very kind review. We are touched by the fact that two days sufficed to warm you up to the way Petit Lafitte approaches service and creates experiences. I am sorry that there was one staff member that did not tune into the mood and pace of the place. Valenca is not a name we recognized, but regardless, I hope you brought this up to a supervisor so we can have a talk with her. Thank you for your comments on the food. location, beach and service and for choosing us for a portion of your stay. We hope you become one of those repeat travelers you encountered while here.

All the best!