“Quiet Paradise with 5 star staff”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #6 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Quiet Paradise with 5 star staff”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Not commercial. Classy place. Gourmet meals with a low key atmosphere, beautifully attended to garden feel that is right on the beach. We stayed in the main building room 502 with a view of the ocean and the necessities: air conditioning, fridge, and coffee maker with gourmet coffee in the room. All the rooms are a few steps out to the beach or pool. Great roomy Mexican tile shower. If you are older and don't want to traverse a large all-inclusive but rather go from the pool to the beach to the bar to your room in a matter of steps, this is the place for you. I loved the ease of it and how immaculate it was. At night you can look up at the stars from a hammock on the beach and be a few steps away to your room. Book your massage when you get there. One night we heard lovely violin/guitar duo play at dinner. Staff was warm and professional. Yes, they knew my name and eventually I knew theirs. North of Playa proper. We had a car which helped as we wanted to do day trips. This is a getting away from it all place. If you want action, stay in downtown Playa.

Room Tip: Bungalows and regular hotel rooms both looked great. Upper floors of hotel may have better ocean vi...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret H
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
RESPUESTA:

Dear Margaret H.

We hope your return to the big apple was a pleasant one. After what seems to have been a delightful stay with your husband at Petit Lafitte. Yes room 502 is probably the most conveniently located a few steps from everything. Yes we are a good alternative for those who don’t want to take the golf cart to the beach, just walk a few steps and you’re there. It seems to be that what you enjoyed the most is the “ergonomic” design, as well as the hammock star gazing, little things that enhance a Mexico’s Caribbean coast vacation.

Thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte and thank you for your lovely review.

Warm Regards

I.F.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Turkish first
Modesto, Calif.
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here only one night, as our near-by large resort charged waaay too much for one extra night. So we booked the bargain room, two double beds and only garden view. Well, we still saw the ocean from our balcony. The terracota floor tiles were smooth and soothing against our bare feet. The beach was lovely. The service were attentive, and we hated to admit to them that we had to leave to go somewhere else. I felt comfortable to leave the window and slider open when we went to bed, which meant we had a nice airflow through the room and I got to listen to the surf as I fell asleep. The food was excellent. We had beachside fish tacos and chicken tacos with yummy guacamole. We would be pleased to come here again.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank all-in-balance
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Allinbalance,

How nice to see that even while your stay was a “one nighter” you decided to write a review for us. More so because that was the first night of your vacation. That indicates we left a good impression on you. I am sure you got a taste of very different vacation styles, going to a large hotel in our neighborhood after staying with us, Your hinted intention to try us again is taken as a compliment. Thank you for trying us and for taking the time to share your experience with the reader of this forum.

Until we meet again!

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Petit Lafitte hotel might be the only one on TripAdvisor with not even a single “Poor” or “Terrible” review! So the hotel management replies to “Average” reviews, in detail, and sometimes their reply is longer than the review itself. It shows how serious the management is about the hotel reputation and guests’ satisfaction. This hotel is not a 5-star resort and it’s true that it needs some room face-lift here and there. But it’s right on a beach! With those tropical storms, heavy rains and humidity it’s extremely difficult to keep everything in perfect condition. Rooms are very clean, beds are comfortable. We did not find the beds hard as some of the reviewers here complained. We had more towels, toiletries, bottled water than we needed. There is free Wi-Fi in all rooms, and even on the beach. Breakfast and dinner are included, and you can buy a very good lunch from the hotel bar and enjoy it sitting on a veranda just a few steps from a sea!. We walked along the beach and checked out some other places but returned back to our hotel for lunch as we liked the food and prices were much better at Petit Lafitte. Service is excellent! They ask your names when you arrive and remember them. Whatever help or information you need – just ask. Everybody is very friendly, always with a smile and a good humor. We were there in June, low season. It was very quiet, just a few guests. It really felt like a paradise.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kis510
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Hello B-Towners!

We are delighted to hear you liked Petit Lafitte and thought it a wonderful spot. Just for fun I was going to write a huge response, but, I changed my mind! Ha!
No seriously, Thank you for your visit and for your comment. We are working right now on house improvements, brand new linens, curtains and paint work in the standard section.
Bed softness (or hardness) can be something so subjective! Gee, the key is that every time somebody finds something like “a hard bed” we can always finds ways to make the situation more satisfactory, because as you say, we really care for our guest’s satisfaction. Small hotels depend on personality and attention to detail, specifically in service. We’re glad you took note of that. We are very aware also of quality and price as we aim to create excellent value. Again, thank you for noticing. And as far as traveling in June, it is a hit, not as hot as later in the summer, and with fewer guests, you get better attention, more beach space and such. Not to mention good summer rates!

We wish you all the best and a happy return to Petit Lafitte!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a wonderfully rustic different hotel. We are not really the fully inclusive resort type of couple, and we have done the Mexico resorts a couple of times, and realized that we needed something different, more peaceful and more personal, and the Petit Lafitte defiantly gave us this. This is the type of place where you go for full on relaxation. On a typical day we would wake up early, and go for a very long walk on the beach before breakfast, take our time over breakfast and then laze on the beach, in the afternoon we would walk to Play del Carmen, this would take about an hour to an hour and half each way - I would recommend doing this on a not so hot day. The lunch at the hotel is very good, we did opt to eat her a couple of times, there is also a great pizza restaurant next door, it’s very tucked away, but you literally just turn right on the beach and follow the signs to the restaurant,this place has excellent stone baked pizza.

Pros
-Staying in a bungalow is a must; the views and access to the beach are the best part
-Rooms are clean
-The service at this hotel is fantastic; the service staff make this hotel what it is.
-The breakfast was fresh, and you order from the menu, with some fruits and granola that you get from the buffet, no lines, very peaceful and service was always second to none.
- The beach area is clean and peaceful, you have the option to use the hammocks or lay out on the sunbeds

Cons
-We were in bungalow number 1, although the view and proximity to the beach was probably the best out of all the bungalows, this particular bungalow backed onto the pool and bar area, so at times it could get pretty noisy. We didn’t spend much time in our rooms apart from to sleep so we were not really affected by this.
-The washrooms in the bungalows are very basic, no fan in the washroom, but these are rustic bungalows so I wouldn’t really expect much different
-The hotel had pre arranged our pick up from the airport with an external company they use, the airport transport failed to pick us up, not the fault of the hotel but the airport transport company.

Would highly recommend this place, and we will be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank meme_travels
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hola meme_travels,

Cheers to you Toronto friends!
Thank you for your visit and for your commentary, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and especially noticed the good service of our staff. You seem to have gathered the idea of the type of experience we are creating. Full on relaxation is right! Good food, even at the neighbor’s brick oven pizza place :) and service, quiet atmosphere and beach.

Sorry to hear the shuttle company failed to pick you up. I hope you did report that to ous staff, as even when we use an external vendor, we only want to work with top class service vendors and monitoring quality is a must.

Be well in your future travels and may the winds guide you back to Petit Lafitte someday!

New York
Reviewed June 9, 2013

At first, I didn't get "it," this fascination with Petit Lafitte. My husband and I like to stay in out of the way places where the locals live and work. We're used to renting a car and travelling at our own pace, something we didn't do in Mexico because we were advised against it. After landing in Cancun and thinking we'd made arrangements with Yellow Transfer Shuttle, we discovered at the airport that not only did they not know who we were but they did not know where we were going, either. After much haggling we squeezed into the front seat of the shuttle stopping at two other huge hotel properties along the way.
We finally pulled into the front of the Petit Lafitte and a young woman in jeans took our things from the car. My husband's daughter, whose wedding we were attending in Playa del Carmen, greeted us and I thought the young jeans-clad woman was a friend of hers. She wasn't but worked at the check-in desk. I looked at my husband and we both said "Are they crazy?" Then, there was a guy with a scarf who looked like the incarnation of the namesake pirate Capitan Jean Lafitte. He was Ivan Fuentes, the amiable, jack-of-all-trades resort sales manager. They brought our belongings to our room overlooking the beautiful, azure Caribbean. The room was fairly basic and we were tired and plopped down on the bed to relax. The bed was hard as a rock. We looked at each other and said "Are they crazy?" At first glance, the resort looked a bit like the Ramada Inn I'd stayed at in Fort Lauderdale after being landlocked by a plane's mechanical error. But then, my stepdaughter took me on a tour of the property and showed me the animal sanctuary replete with wild boar, doe-eyed deer, macaws, Tucans, preening peacocks and chickens roaming free. There were charming bungalows, which were surrounded by sand. Our kids were staying in one of them and described it as rustic, with no TV but that's what they were after. Hammocks were strung lazily between the swaying palms outside the bungalows' doors and I longed to climb in one and close my weary eyes listening to the ocean's lapping waves just a few yards away.

We had lunch on the deck under a big palapas which was OK but no great shakes, I thought. Dinner that night was under the really big palapas and was buffet style with an ordered entree of pasta with salmon, which my husband liked and rice and steak. Dessert - Flan and bread pudding - were outstanding.

Our room was spacious but the place definitely needs a bit of touching up. The bathroom had black mold in the shower and on the ceiling and the entry door to the room, as well. Toiletries and bottled water were plentiful. While the hotel supplies filtered water for food and drinks, the tap water in the room could not be consumed. There was a refrigerator in the room stocked with some juices and beer and the resort supplied several bottles of filtered water, daily which we used to make coffee. The water pressure was good and the shower was wide with a handle for a handicapped person. That night, on the rock-hard bed, with the waves right outside our oceanview window, I slept like a rock. Petit Lafitte has its own beach and while a day earlier I didn't quite "get" the friendliness factor, like in "Cheers," everybody knew our names by the second day of our stay. WiFi didn't work at all in our room or on most places on the property which was a bit frustrating for personal reasons. The lobby area has a couple of computers for use and WiFi there worked sporadically and slowly. I started realizing how addicted to the internet I'd grown over the years. My unlocked cell didn't work and sometimes the iPhone didn't, either. And it was something that Ivan said to me, overhearing me complaining to my husband about it that made me think about where I was and for what purpose, "Kind of forces you to relax, eh?," Ivan asked me with a wink. Yes, Ivan you were right! Nothing beat sitting on the balcony in the morning sipping freshly made coffee or at sunset overlooking the ocean and letting the breeze carry me away to somewhere else. The friendly staff at this boutique hotel made arrangements for us to go into downtown Playa so I could go to Walmart and take a tour of the town. On the morning of the wedding day we sat under the palapas and went for a long walk up the beach towards the other brand name resorts where I'm sure no one would have remembered our names. Along the way, we passed a hut where you could sign up for snorkeling, parasailing or jet-skiing.

The set up for our daughter's destination wedding was amazing, sunset on the beach with a lighted dance floor right on the sand. The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch, OK a small one when the sandaled foot of the groom stomped on a glass signaling he was no longer a groom but now a husband and a few shards nicked his foot. OK, more than nicked it requiring many stitches, but Ivan swiftly took care of medical needs as well as the guests, proving he maybe was more of a magician than resort manager. The ceremony was beautiful. Petit Lafitte offered a great backdrop to the wedding pictures and a lifetime of memories. Other resort guests, friendly folks from around the world, took up spots on the deck overlooking the beach ceremony. The reception started off with Mayan dancers who unearthed chicken which had been baking underground for hours and they offered a blessing to the newly minted married couple. All arranged for by Ivan. The food was outstanding and that chicken was something unearthly - delicious, tender, moist and flavorful. The guacamole was some of the best I've eaten, even better than the one served with lunch the day of our arrival. Was it really better that day or was it that the taste of it, like Petit Lafitte itself, grew on me as I became untethered to time and technology and truly started to relax in this quirky resort with its lovely staff and outstanding first class service. While the WiFi may not work well either in the rooms, outside or in the lobby, if you came to relax or visit the local culture or ancient wonders you could have it all at Petit Lafitte. Reading the reviews on TripAdivsor it's easy to see how this little gem sparkling in the sand surrounded by bigger, more luxurious hotels that have sprouted up in the Yucatan peninsula has developed something of a cult following. People return year after year, apparently, for sun, sand and surf and to be pampered by a massage under a palapas or to walk for miles along the white sandy beaches and azure waters, to eat in the open or to sit on the balcony with a cup of coffee listening to the waves lapping at the shore. By the time we left, we got "it," too.
If what you're after is nightlife and modern or upscale accommodations, look elsewhere. But if you're after a truly relaxing, unpretentious experience Petit Lafitte with staff who really feel that you are their friends, Petit Lafitte may just be the right fit for you. Our only recommendation is for them to increase their bandwidth and put more routers on the property to accommodate all the users who need to log on. Technology is a draw to folks like us who might look elsewhere reading that WiFi is non-existent. And that would be a shame.

Room Tip: Oceanview on the second or third floor so you can see that beautiful view of the azure waters of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Layyylah
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Layyylah5,

Wow!!! ..
Impressive and filled with vivid images and emotions. May I say that I find your review comparably as quirky as you seem to have found Petit Lafitte? I don’t even know where to start. I am really touched by the fact that what started with raised eyebrows and doubt, ended with a clear understanding of how we are “quirky” and why certain traits are appreciated by our followers. Thank you for the flowing praise for the staff and for the personal mention, I feel honored and rewarded. One sometimes looses perspective on how one is perceived by others. We work as a team and most times personal performance gets lost in that effort. I know that the lives of P&D and that of many attendees is somehow linked now to ours and that the memories that were created along this brief dreamy journey of creating your daughter’s wedding will last a life time. P&D are already talking about a possible return. We truly hope to see that happen. It was a great honor to have been chosen as the destination wedding spot and to get the chance to meet and mingle with very fine, open, sincere and respecful folks.

Life’s good!

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,
P.S. Bandwith problem has since, been resolved
Bronx, New York
Reviewed June 2, 2013

It's true, the staff really do their best to keep you satisfied. The place is so small and you end up seeing the same staff people every day so it's easy to get small issues resolved or plans revised. The beach is wonderful and, yes, the quiet atmosphere (with all the crowds elsewhere at the big resorts) can't be matched. It's like a private beach (and private pool). If you want peace and quiet, this is the place. It's more "rustic", we had some uncomfortable run-ins with bugs and wildlife, but really enjoyed how laid-back and peaceful the place was.

Room Tip: Bungalows 11, 10, etc, are just as good as Bungalow 1, not a big deal to get "the" bungalo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roberta B
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear RobertaB,

We hope your return to the “big apple” was a hassle free one. We’ve been wanting to say thank you for trying Petit Lafitte and for your review. We truly rely on guests commendations to keep the place running. So far so good, people like yourselves seem to gather the substance of Petit Lafitte and evidently enjoyed the qualities and even those little encounters with tropical life.
Thank you for sharing your experience with others. We wish you many more happy travels and experiences.

Until we meet again,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Clean total attention to detail clean. Staff and management can't do enough for you location is great rooms are adequate in size and always clean. It's like a family when you go there have been several times over the past 12 years and never have been disappointed.Kudos to all the staff they are the best.

Room Tip: Rooms in 500 building have great views. The cabanas are awesome
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barb2348
Ivan F, Director of Sales at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Dear Barb2348,

Thank you very much for writing a review for your stay at Petit Lafitte. We are honored by your commendations on the location, rooms, bungalows and specially the staff. You are right in terms of the feel we want to create. We want guests to feel like they are visiting family or friends in the Caribbean. As you witnessed, a lot of our guests are repeat customers who loved that atmosphere.

Welcome to the family.