“Petit Lafitte Wins!”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #7 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I can't even begin to explain how appropriate and accurate the awards and reviews Petit Lafitte has recieved truly are. I recently returned from a week long vacation and it was everything I was hoping for. I was looking to RELAX and unwind in a major way and after many days of reading reviews from all the resorts and hotels in PDC I decided to go with Petit Lafitte. From our first correspondence online I knew I was in good hands and from the moment I arrived the feeling was confirmed. You are not just a guest at this wonderful hotel, you are treated like a part of their family! The staff is super friendly;simply the best. The food was amazing and the Bungalows were huge and comfortable. I took an hour and a half walk down the beach into downtown PDC (its a 15min cab ride) and from what I saw, Petit Lafitte wins hands down! If you want a crowded beach, with other crowded beaches less than five feet away on either side, limited beach seating and lots of noise do not stay at Petit Lafitte, it has NONE OF THAT. What you get instead is an incredibly peaceful sanctuary with a excellent staff who is more than willing to make your stay the best it can possibly be. There is access to everything from day trips to jet skiing, parasailing, snorkeling and massages.  It has everything you would want in a beach vacation minus the crowd. If you are not looking for the "big party resort/all inclusive thing" do not hesitate to stay here. I highly recommend it and plan to return myself in the future.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Onebagand2feet
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear onebagand2feet,

Loved your review (and your user name) . Thank you so much for adding to the praise for our hotel. We are happy that you concur with the previous positive reviews and that your one week stay fulfilled your desire to unwind, relax, and have a peaceful time on the beach.

You are right on the mark when you say that we treated you as a member of our family, that is the core of our phylosophy and that is pretty much how things started with us. I mean, in the beginning, back in the mid 70s, we mostly received our own families and friends, then they recommended us and the whole Cancun Boom of that era was the wind in our sails that pushed us in the right direction. Now, we try to still feel the same passion in creating an "experience" to our visitors. We are so happy to see that we achieved that with you.
Thank you for mentioning that eventhough Lafitte is designed for relaxation, massages, books, hammock, food and drinks, most activities, are available right here, and easily arranged at the front desk or through our concierge. Sometimes, fortunalety, not often, guest see that as a "minus" and they do not realize that the way we set it up is so that your tranquility is not at risk, but the activities are at the reach of your hand.
Other hotels have everything right there, aerobics in the pool, salsa lesson at the beach bar, and such, at the expense of the peaceful atmosphere.
Thank you for noticing and sharing your experience with others.

We are already looking forward to your next visit.
Best Regards.

Iván A. Fuentes.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My hubby and I just got back from a week in paradise at Petit Lafitte (July 28-August 3). We’ve been in the south 9 times and this is by far the most relaxing place we’ve stayed at! It’s not only a very relaxing resort, it’s gorgeous and intimate! What you see on the website pictures is exactly what you get! All that being said, the most impressive thing at Petit Lafitte is the quality of the service. They REALLY do make it a priority. Just to name a few, Javier and David are just amazing. David is the concierge who speaks many languages. He’s attentive to the customer’s every need and he will always have a good story to share. Javier is the dictionary’s definition of excellence in customer service. Seriously, his customer service surpassed all of our expectations! And it doesn’t end there, Antonio, Victor, Giovanni, Icidro, Felipe (manager), Jose Eduardo made our stay at Petit Lafitte even more enjoyable. In conclusion, if you want a great place on the beach to relax, we strongly recommend a stay at Petit Lafitte. And if you need a little bit more action and partying, la Quinta (Fifth Avenue) is only a 15 minute drive from the resort.

Thanks to everyone at Petit Lafitte for an AMAZING and MEMORABLE vacation!!! We’ll be back soon! Hasta luego!

Brigitte and José

Room Tip: The hotel rooms are great. You'll have everything you need. Our A/C was a bit noisy, but the cei...
2  Thank BriggBou
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Brigitte & José,

I hope you had a nice readjustment process after your vacation on the Mexican Caribbean Coast.
We are glad you chose Petit Lafitte and more so because you liked us.
"Relaxing", "Gorgeous" and "Intimate" speak of satisfaction. Thank you for voicing that. Just as wrote it, the people who work here, David, Javier, Felipe, Isidro, Giovanni etcetera, are people we value, precisely because they devote a lot of energy and love into their performances.
Thank you for mentioning about David, our concierge and his service attitude and abilities, specially after the previous review, by Frontierman. It is important to us that readers know that there is one person fully dedicated to our guests needs, and that person is David, the other staff, are excellent hosts that will also take care of you while they perform their regular duties, reception, waiting tables, housekeeping etcetera, but David is your personal host, someone that we assignated the job of making guests feel like they are visiting an old friend...Someone they can trust and ask for assistance.
It seems like you travel south often, 9 times would be considered "frequent flyer." We hope that when you come for your 10th time, you remember that you are welcome here in our house.
Until then, take care of each other and enjoy life.

Warm Regards,

Ivan A. Fuentes

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We just spent almost a week at Petit Lafitte, and enjoyed it once we settled in, although we spent the first evening trying to find another place, and there aren't many that welcome kids. We had the bungalow closest to the beach, and although primitive, the location made it worth staying.

Resort isn't exactly the right word in my opinion, when the cabins are a little dirty and you're told not to put the toilet paper in the toilet. The man who checked us in was rude, we had to ask for beach/pool towels, and they give you one per person for your whole stay, and you pay for it if you don't return it. The pool was fine, mostly clean, but only open from 10 to 7, which felt a little restrictive for a family place. Water wasn't potable, but they do keep plenty of bottles of water in the bungalows. The food was fine, about as good as the rest of Playa Del Carmen which is not a culinary destination. Lunch was the best because it wasn't included. Some of the men who waited on us were wonderfully hospitable and attentive, some not very good. One left me sitting until after he'd waited on three tables who arrived after I did, then asked our cabin number three times during the same meal after we'd been there a week, like I wasn't really a guest. (We were in cabin one.)

We had their full attention when we checked out, they wanted to be sure we wrote a good review. But we're still not settled on whether we'd go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Frontierfan
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Frontierman,

I am returning from a 10 day vacation and I found your review to be the kind that ellicits mixed feelings.
If we take the three points you gave us and convert them into percentage, we get 60%. Barely passable! You seem to have liked some things and not others, but 60% satisfaction level is disappointing for us, I am sorry we did not manage to create a good impression in you. Perhaps it was the first encounter you mention, with a rude employee, upon arrival. First impressions are known to have a big impact on people and frequently determine the course of the unfolding events or relationships. Sadly, our performance seemed not to have an effect on you after that initial impression.
I would like to respond to some of the comments in the spirit of clarifying for other guests and potential guests how certain things work here.

1.- We have spoken with the receptionist who checked you in, he is someone who has worked with us for 4 months and is one of the "new" staff members, the thing is, we watch closely when we hire a new staff member and so far we had not had any complain on him. I am not trying to invalidate your claim, but I am saying that it is not a common incident.
It would have served us great to know about the incident soon, after you had gotten to know David our concierge or some of the other management staff that are trained to make eye contact, say hello and, when the response is warm, strike conversation.
One of David's duties is to write a report each day with remarks of his guests interactions. He tells me that the day prior to you departure he approached you to get your impressions, opinions, and suggestions, but you did not mention anything of what you wrote here. That is unfortunate. David has been working with us for almost 30 years and is one person we trust fully. I wonder why you did not feel Ok to tell him your comments, his job as a concierge includes being an "advocate" and a facilitator to the guests. After all these years, we know he is very good in what he does. But evidently, this time he failed at entering your world and gain your trust. We respect that you prefered to write your opinion here, after all we are well aware that the "new dynamic" since the cyber-boom. has mostly benefited us.
(ADVICE FOR READERS:
Please when you vacation here, feel free to contact any of the host staff persons, who are visible daily and in most case will make eye contact, and have a smile and a good morning for you. Ask for David, Guillermo or Felipe if you have an issue that needs attention.)

TOILET PAPER IN TRASH BIN.-
Most places along the Coast of Quintana Roo, Mexico, do not have access to the "city" sewage system. Therefore have to choose their own systems. Ours is a bio enzymatic septic system that is friendly with the environment.and approved by the environmental authorities. Unfortunately it is recommended that toilet paper, and other materials that are costumarily thrown in the toilet in cities of more developed countries aren't thrown in the toilet. It is not uncommon to small hotels like us.

BEACH TOWELS
I believe that there was a misunderstamding here. I'll explain: The hotel gladly provides one per person.
You can ask for it upon arrival. They are dispensed in the front desk. You are encouraged to keep it for more than one day, but this is only an "invitation." By no means you get one towel and are not allowed to get a fresh one. Specially if it gets too wet or dirty. Most guests keep it for 2-3 days, and then come and get fresh ones. Others, change them every other day, then some guests change it daily. It is up to you.
We just invite our guests to be sensitive with the environment and the usage of water and detergents.
Charging for lost towels, (guests sometimes take them o tours and leave them in at the ruins of Chichen Itza or somewhere else, where we can not retrieve them). Is not abnormal in most 3 and 4 star hotels in the area.

POTABLE WATER?
I am not sure of the idea here, but I get that you expected to be able to drink the tap water?
Ok, lets put it this way, in 25 years of working on this coast, I've not heard of a hotel that has safe potable tap water.
Most hotels provide bottled, purified water, usually in a limited amount, then sell you extra bottles if needed. We provide free, unlimited, bottled water, if anyone runs out of water, we have more at reception or at the bar.

POOL HOURS.
They exist so if there is ever a problem with guests complaining due to other guests having an early pool party in the morning or later at night, we have a writen clause to use. It is not a rule written on stone, a lot of times guests go swiming at night and it is Ok with us, as long as it does not disturb others.
Some nights we treat the pool with chemicals at the end of dinner so no swimming in the pool is allowed after 10:00 PM. We vacuum and clean the pool in the morning between 8-10 AM. thus the hours.
Here as in most cases, it is a matter of being polite and showing respect for the guests vacations.

Ok, seems to me that I covered most of the concerns here.
Now, I'd like to say that you had positve words for some of the staff, and in general for the food, and the location. We are glad that those aspects were satisfactory to you.

Thank you for trying us and best of luck in your future journeys.

Iván Fuentes

Reviewed August 5, 2012

My husband and I just spent a wonderful 6 days at Petite Lafitte and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing, affordable, and quiet retreat in Playa Del Carmen. The staff are very professional, courteous, and are always willing to go the extra mile to accommodate in any way necessary. The food was pretty good, mostly Mexican, with several options for breakfast and salad and soup and choice of 2 entrees for dinner. Lunch is also available. One of the best things about this hotel is that they don't "nickle and dime" you like other places. Bottled water is complimentary and unlimited and the drinks range from $3-5. For 6 days, our bar and lunch tab was less than $100. The beach is a little rocky in front of the hotel, but if you walk a little to the left, it becomes much nicer. We stayed in a bungalow and loved it. It felt like we were on our own private resort and the beach was just steps away. They have plenty of beach chairs and covered umbrellas and even hammocks to relax on. Don't miss out on the animal reserve at the back of the hotel. They have all kinds of species of rare birds and deer that have all been rescued. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely like to return. We would recommend changing your money to pesos, especially for the taxi rides, because you'll get a better rate.

Room Tip: We originally got a garden view room but got upgraded to a bungalow and would highly recommend that...

Dear Ayesha A,

It was very nice to read your review this morning, I realize you were here while I was gone for a vacation, I am glad to see that you had a wonderful experience and felt the staff was corteous and professional. I particularly appreciated your comment on being a hotel that don't "nickle and dime" their guests. It is very satisfying to hear that you noticed that, as we have taken that approach to our hotel, since we started doing tourisms, many years ago.
I see you upgraded to a Bungalow, from an original Garden View Room, reservation. Looks like you enjoyed your decision and the Bungalow as well.
Thank you for your positive comments on the food, the atmosphere, the beach, hammocks and service.
In summary, we just want to say thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte for your vacation, we are aware of the great importance and value that your "free time" has and I gather you did not feel disappointed at all. I hope, as you insinuate, that you will give us a second try next time you travel to the Yucatan Peninsula.
It will be a great honor.

Iván A. Fuentes

Reviewed August 4, 2012

My husband and I have traveled in Mexico for many years but our favorite memories were of Captain Lafitte. After learning that Petit Lafitte was built a little further down the coast we booked it. What a great small resort. We were so impressed by the friendly staff who made you feel like family. Their service 1st rate. The breakfast and dinnners were very good. Be sure and try the margaritas and ceviche for lunch at the outdoor palapa. Fantastic!
Thank you everyone at Petit, we hope the hurricane misses you because we'll be back. Muchas Gracias from Duarte,, Ca.

Room Tip: Ocean View room 506 with balcony
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Anita and Ricardo,

Thank you so much for trying the "new" (well... we've been here for 5 years now, after our predecessor, Capitan Lafitte closed) version of Lafitte. We are delighted to see that someone who knew the original version decided to try the new one, many "old timers," have done that, but others are still mourning over the end of the Old Lafitte. I hope that your positive words and commendations become a motor that erases their hesitation.
The good news, is that your positve wishes for hurricane Ernesto to not damage us, manifested into reality.
We are operating normally.
We appreciate your mention of the Margaritas and Ceviche, yes, we agree, we put extra care in those two as they have become Petit lafitte's trademarks.
We are happy to hear about your intention of returning next year, after all, one of our most important missions is to establish long lasting relationships with our guests.
You guys are always welcome here.

Best Regards,

Iván Fuentes.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our family has traveled a lot in the Yucatan, and our stay at Petit Lafitte was a pleasure in every way. From our host David to his friendly, accommodating and efficient staff people to the other guests, we enjoyed everyone we met. The food was tasty and fresh, the room was comfortable and the beach front was clean and beautiful. We'll be back.

Carol S.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear Carol S,

Thank you very much for your kind words, they keep resonating in our heads and serve as motivation for a continued effort in the hospitality business.
We are very glad to hear that as frequent traveler to the Yucatan, one who has stayed in other various places and different types or hotels, you find your Petit lafitte vacation, as you say, "pleasurable in every way."
Thank you for the personal mention of David, he has a very good team of collaborators, most of whom have devoted many years of their lives to help us create Petit Lafitte. A lot of them work behind the scenes.
Glad to hear you liked the food, the beach and the comfort of your room, I hope that the experience you had with us and the memories of it, result in another visit, we would feel very glad to see your faces again.

In the meantime, enjoy life and thank you for your preference and generosity.

Yours truly,

Iván A. Fuentes.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were so happy to attend our son's wedding at Petit Lafitte. The entire staff treated us like family, knowing our names whenever they saw us. Ivan saw to every detail of the wedding and gave our son and daughter-in-law a wedding they will aways remember. Our bungalow was large and clean with all the amenities included. Our breakfasts and dinners were delicious and beautifully presented. It was so special to have authentic Mexican food at each meal. Their ceviche was outstanding. David, the concierge, helped over 30 of our family plan trips to Playa and Tulum. We plan to return to reunite with our new family.

Room Tip: bungalows are great for families.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Myra,

Thank you so much for all your collaboration in creating a wonderful experience for your Son's wedding. Both families were extremely cooperative and ready to have fun and enjoy the experience.
We are very, very thankful you all chose Petit Lafitte and allow for your Son and daughter in law to have a blissful destination wedding.
We enjoyed it just as much.
Thank you for your positive comments for our staff, and for our food.
And of course, we are already lookign forward to the proposed family reunion.
From now on, consider us your Mexican family and Petit Lafitte, your home-away-from-home.

Best Regards,