“My Dream Wedding!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #6 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“My Dream Wedding!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

It has always been a vision of mine to get married on a white sandy beach overlooking the blue ocean. That is exactly what I got at Petit Lafitte. I could not have asked for a better venue. Located a short distance from downtown, this hotel was secluded enough to give me a beautiful backdrop without the crowd. My guests and I stayed for four days and we all enjoyed the scenery very much. The staff were friendly and very attentive to our needs. Ivan coordinated my wedding and put on quite a show for us. It was more than what I hoped for. Our kids also enjoyed the hotel. They swam in the pool, played ping pong, and went snorkeling in the ocean. We stayed in an ocean view bungalow which had a very rustic feel like we were really on a jungle island. My photographers were able to get the most amazing shots. The entire place feels like a secluded retreat away from the rest of society, which was exactly what we wanted. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to plan a beach wedding or just to get away from stressful city life and relax for a few days in peace.

Room Tip: It just depends on what you're looking for. The bungalows do not have t.v's or bright lighti...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Virginialovesmichael
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Virginia and Michael,
It was delightful to meet you, your families and friends.
We were all touched by your love story.
We are glad that you and Michael found eachother and we are moved by the role your friends played in the whole story.
Thank you for choosing Petit Lafitte for this very special celebration.
Everyone in your group was very pleasant and seemed to get in the flow of things here.
It was a great honor to sing your first dance waltz and a few more tunes for you.
So, I hope the memories last you a life time and that your life together is filled with love and wonderful experiences.
Dont forget where we are and maybe we can begin planning your Anniversary trip?

Thank you for taking the time to write about your wedding at Petit Lafitte.

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Turkish first
Burlington, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed at Petit Lafitte last October and encountered an unexpected visit from Hurricane Rina. Our safety was of utmost importance to Ivan, General Manager of PL. All guests were evacuated to downtown Playa del Carmen where we were put up in a lovely hotel for 21/2 days. We were not just left there and forgotten. David, Concierge, and Ivan saw to it that we were safe, comfortable and had what we needed during our stay. They also came by in the evening and in the morning with updated weather reports. When all had passed, we were taken back to PL, so nice to be back "home". I cannot possibly say enough about the food, drink and service, service, service, that we received at PL. You would be hard pressed to find any better in all of the Riviera Maya.
If you are looking for a relaxing, restful and stress free vacation on a beautiful beach, do give Petit Lafitte a try, you will not be sorry. We are very much considering a return trip after Labor Day to PL with the hopes of wonderful "uninterupted" week there.
Hoping to see our "friends" again very soon.
Joyce and Gene

Room Tip: Stayed in hotel part of resort and loved it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Joygene
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Joyce and Gene,
Thank you very much for your review.
It shows the type of reaction and stance we take in extreme circumstances. I mean, am sorry you had to face this storm with us, it would have been a lot better to not have an interruption during your vacation, but I am so happy you appreciated the care you recevived. I credit the staff for the team work.
I have personally been through three hurricanes during the course of my career in hotel management, but again, my experience would not have been sufficient if it weren't for the staff and their cooperative nature. I will tell them that you wrote with a recognition note to their work.
On a separate note, I hope we can work out your intention of returning and this time get a second chance at a "perfect" vacation. That would be our reward, and yours too.
Thank you so much Joyce, thank you so much Gene.
See you soon.

Richton Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

It was like revisiting a like friend. As soon as we entered the reception desk they called us by our names, we have been several times before when it was Capitan Lafitte & now Petite Lafitte. We reserved a beachfront bungalow we were given #2 which didn't have the very best view, byt were tokd we would be moved in 2 days to #9 which did have the best view and we were. Anything you want within reason ask and they will try and get or do for you, yiu only have to ask. The food was good. Some nights entertainment was provided. We were there for 9 days wuth perfect weather, the water wasn't as clear as other times, but lots of sunshine and nice breezes. Bar service was great as was the waiters and their smiling faces esp Martin. I would return here again. Thanks, Betty & Jim Arledge

Room Tip: If you want the best beachfront bungalow choose #9 or #2.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Betty A
, Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Dear Betty and JIm,
Thank you so much for being a return costumer, especially since you knew our predecessor: Capitan Lafitte and now decided to try the "newer" version. with the "same old" welcome back feel.
Thank you also for taking part of your time to review us on Trip Advisor.
We are honored that some guests, like you, repeat. It motivates and inspires the staff to continue providing the personable, fresh atmosphere we are known for.
We promise to keep on that line so you feel "at home" when you return.
After all, you are considered a guest and a friend.

Best Regards

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

In May of this year my wife and I were married at Petite Laffite. Words cannot express the joy that fills my heart when I think back to the memorable week that we spent at the hotel. The hotel is so much more than a beautiful place to spend a vacation and that can be attributed to the wonderful staff. We visited the hotel in September to scout wedding locations in the area at the suggestion of my father in law, as he had stayed many years ago at a hotel owned by the same people in the area. At the end of the brief stay there was no doubt that this was a place that we were going to invite our family and friends to share in this special occasion. I must mention that we did not tell the hotel that we were considering this hotel for a wedding until the end of our stay.

During the wedding and prior to the wedding we were treated as family. Every staff member acted as if a brother or sister was getting married at the hotel and they treated our guest the same way. We already miss them and will be going back. The entire staff will always have a special place in our heart and we look forward to always having that special connection. My father in law knew many of the staff members from his visits to Capitan Laffite many years ago and I plan on my kids knowing the same staff members for many years to come.

The rooms are great. The staff is great. The area is great. I highly recommend vacationing or having an event at the hotel. They will take care of everything! My 5 year old nephew called it our home in Mexico, it truly is!

Room Tip: We highly recommend an ocean front Bungalow. They are beautiful!
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris2369
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Hi Chris,
Your feelings of belonging to our place are reciprocated.
Reosrts, and hotels depend on their costumers to exist, and we always see our guests as half of the equation. An essential part without which we would simply not be.
So, I guess as long as we both agree, we are family, and it will continue to be an honor to welcome you and your wife and your growing family in years to come.
Thank you for putting such a big day of your lives in our hands.
I personally thank you for the honor of being your wedding coordinator and also on behalf of the staff for all the laughs and good times your family, friends and wedding brought around.

For our hearts,

Muchas Gracias,

Naples, Florida, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We are currently at Petit Lafitte on a getaway as a couple. The hotel overall is very quiet and feels somewhat isolated from the craziness of the big resorts just doors away. The grounds are nice and the pool is well kept. Our room is quite basic and has a musty smell. Its ok as we aren't spending much time in the room. The WiFi access is a real plus since we've not had great availability other places. The staff is ok, David is outstanding, some just barely give a response. Not great service outside of David who seems to really care and the bartender who made sure we got a late dinner the night we came in. Meals are not bad, restaurant is cute but bring bug spray as its open air and you will get bitten. Beach access is good. 15-20 minute cab ride into town so better if you want to be more remote.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anonymous566
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Hi Anonymous 566,
Thank you for trying Petit Lafitte and also for taking the time to review your experience with us.
We are glad you enjoyed many elements of your stay and had the honesty to tell us about those who you considered weak.
I noticed you stayed in a room that had been vacant for over a week, so that is what may have been the cause of the musty smell.
I instructed our rooms division manager Felipe Alvarado, to air out the rooms on a regular basis. The Caribbean, and the tropics in general, are very humid environments and sometimes, in the low season (like now) the rotation of the rooms is not very high, so we have to implement little tricks, like the one I am telling you, open doors and windows for fresh air to circulate. We are considering buying a dehumidifier. We'd use it in low season in rooms that will occupy, one or two days before they get occupied.
Thank you for saying our restaurante is cute, someone tought recently that it is so awful that decide to go eat elsewhere!!!
Never in 4 years since we opened had we heard such a comment.
I wonder if your preception that the staff was not friendly was a result of our cautiousness. You see, we are known for being friendly, attentive and cortueous, BUT, unintrusive, (you can read that in previous reviews) we train our staff to allow peace, quiet and space to couples that are wanting that, it may be that they perceived that in your case and stayed away a little. We gauge the vibe of people, apparently we are good at it, I am sorry if we missed this time.
You are right to point out, we are 10-20 min away from town depending on the section you are visitng. That tends to be appreciated by most guests as the main result of that is having a pleasant, quiet beach and general atmosphere, something hard to find in beach front hotels and restaurants in town.
Wi-Fi, yes, and it is included in the rate! we even provide two computers for guest who leave their laptops at home. or the ones that want to check on their flights, weather and such.

Before I sign off, I would like to thank you once more for giving us material to work with.
I trust our team to correct and improve the areas that you pointed out to us.

Kind Regards

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We went to Petit Lafitte for a family getaway. My 3 year old son came along also, and although, he's autistic, had an AWESOME time! We all unplugged, with the exception of iPads (free wifi), it was so soothing. My son woke up every morning and played outside the bungalow and on the beach. The service was impeccable. Everyone that works there is friendly, helpful, and accommodating. My son couldn't eat any of the food, so we brought his food with us. The fridge in the cabana was a but small, but they quickly replaced it with a bigger one for us in order to accommodate my son. Every member of our family had a blast. Taxis were easily attainable and recommended. The bar was relaxing and awesome. We had board games to play every night bu the bar area. The restaurant is prompt and courteous, and housekeepibg was marvelous! Don't forget to try your hand at ping pong, which is located in the hotel. The swimming pool is kept clean at all times and the beach is a walk away. There are also jet skis and kayaks to rent on the beach, if interested. If youre looking for a fun, relaxing, quiet, and personal vacation.....try Petit Lafitte. It will feel like your own catered beach! We would definitely return.

Room Tip: You shouldn't miss out on the bungalows! They are very up to date with great ammenities and not...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bf3
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear B13,

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We were gald to provide the larger fridge for you son so his special food needs were met. That is our commitment, if it's doable, and does not affect anyone else, we do it.
We're glad you tried Petit Lafitte and discovered what we are about. Thank you for your "impeccable" remark about our service. Someone just posted a new review saying that the staff hardly showed any character, could it be that we try not to be intrusive? I dont know.
What I know is that we try to maintain a failry constant line in our service and we are glad that you appreciated it.
We would be very happy to see you return some day, take good care of yourself and your family.

Kind Regards.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

The food was great, a great atmosphere to relax and enjoy the beach. The service at the bar is pretty cool. take a tshirt and leave it as their bar decoration.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank celiadalmau
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear celiadalmau,

Thank you for your brief review, yes we like hanging the t-shirts that guest donate, they help keep the memory vividly in our minds when we see a t-shirt donated by such or such guest.
Thank you fo appreciating what we do and how we try and make people feel like they are at their home away form home, or as you say it:
Your own little piece of beach.

Best Regards,