“SO welcoming and peaceful”
Review of Petit Lafitte

Petit Lafitte
Ranked #7 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Champaign, Illinois, United States
“SO welcoming and peaceful”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Petit Lafitte for a family wedding...we were thrown a bit by the name, expecting a cheesy noisy family place but it was the BEST...for families, adults, and other nice people. David was great and knew us by name after the first 1/2 hour. The location of the pool, the rooms, the beach and bar....and the wonderful breakfast spot ...all were perfect. We intend to return as soon as we can....hopefully at Christmas time. Thank you, Petit Lafitte.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Ann B
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Ann B,

So I guess we both lucked out from the fact that the wedding of your family members, was here!
That way you became aware of each other's existence.
I am so glad you think highly of us, and more so because you shared your opinion with others.
Yes, for those who judge places by their name, don't be fooled, this is not a pirate theme park, it is a family operated type beach resort, that caters to all kinds of travelers, couples, families, sigle travelers, of all ages and phylosophies.

Ann, I am glad you found us and now wish to return for Christmas. It will be a great honor to see your faces again when you jump of the airpot shuttle van.

Once more, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We still can't stop talking about our time at Petit Lafitte! We had our wedding "rehearsal" dinner here on May 4, and it was a blast!

We have been coming to the Mayan Riviera area for several years and had always stayed on the beach near Petit Lafitte. We would even regularly visit the beach in front of Petit Lafitte because it is a nice, calm stretch of sand on Playa Xcalacoco. I think perhaps we overlooked this property at first because of the pirate theme on the website. We thought it was either heavily catered to kids or people who love pirates? I won't lie; we can be Manhattan snobs ;)

But as we were planning our wedding at a neighboring boutique hotel, we opened up to the idea of having the "spillover" of guests from the small boutique hotel stay at Petit Lafitte. We also wanted our favorite taco place in Playa del Carmen, Don Sirloin, to cater our rehearsal dinner and our wedding hotel wasn't allowing outside catering so we thought we'd ask about the possibility at Petit Lafitte.

We met with Ivan, the general manager, at Petit Lafitte's bar. It was such a nice, casual conversation about the history of the place, his family, our lives, and our wedding plans. Ivan was totally open to the idea of Don Sirloin providing food for the dinner. He also got us very excited about additional unique and fun touches for our event. My husband and I were thrilled that we would be able to enjoy our favorite tacos outside at such a pretty beach. We did not anticipate how fantastic our beach dinner would be beyond the tacos.

Ivan helped us plan what would be soon described by guests as an "EPIC rehearsal dinner". We had signature mojito and margarita drinks and open bar with the nicest bartenders ever, authentic Mayan dancers introducing the cochinita (slow-roasted pork that was cooked under the sand), Petit Lafitte's AMAZING ceviche, people rocking the karaoke, and my favorite must-have pinata. If you ever want to host a fantastic party on the beach, speak to Ivan. He is so open to ideas and really works to make things happen. Things work differently and at a slower pace in Mexico than in New York, and Ivan is such a laid back guy, that we admit to getting a bit anxious at times. But everything came together beautifully! If you are like us and just need to know where things are at at all times, I just recommend letting Ivan know that's your style. He can certainly accommodate your needs! Highly, highly recommend this place for an event! ALSO, the food is amazing. We have dealt with a lot of hotels in tourist areas trying to create Mexican fusion or complicate a traditional meal. Not here. I looked forward to breakfast every morning, with the fresh fruits and options of delicious entrees. And the lunch items were the basic, go-to, comfort Mexican food that I was craving. The tacos and I will keep mentioning the ceviche! My husband and I (along with many of the wedding guests) would make the short walk down the beach just to hit up the bar and eat the ceviche!! The cherry on top was that the prices for the food and drinks were reasonable!

In terms of the hotel, we wanted to know first hand what our wedding guests would be experiencing, so we stayed there in December 2011 and again right before our wedding in May. We tried out the Ocean View Premium Room and a Garden Bungalow. The room was very simple and clean. We loved that there was actually a mini refrigerator to keep any beverages in. My favorite thing was waking up to the sounds of the ocean and seeing the sun rise in the morning. If I were to stay there again, I would get a bungalow. They are quaint and rustic. You get a cabin-on-the-beach feel. I enjoyed the space in the bungalow....the large porch outside was nice, too. Both the room and the bungalow (I believe every unit in the hotel) had A/C.

But what draws us back to this establishment is not just the easy access to a pristine beach or an on-site dive shop; it is the personalization. We love that the staff knows you by your name. You can go by the bar and see Victor, who will remember that you love the ceviche and micheladas. The workers at the hotel smile and make you feel welcome. During your stay at Petit Lafitte, you will like family. And I know that is how many guests feel. We know because we run into guests who have been coming for several decades. We know because we see the reunions with families and staff who have seen the kids coming to Petit Lafitte...before they were even born! That really impressed us. And the sentiments of our wedding guests also reflected what we saw. They loved the friendly atmosphere and were enthusiastic about returning to Petit Lafitte for a future trip. It's good for couples, friends, and totally kid-friendly.

Our family was so happy with the experience at Petit Lafitte that we hope to plan a yearly reunion there. If you want a place that seems to care about your enjoyment, proves to be a great value with affordable rates, isn't all about nickel and diming you, and has a beautiful and relaxing environment, definitely look past the pirate theme and visit Petit Lafitte!

Room Tip: Go for a bungalow!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Erica C
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Echo 366,

We also enjoyed so much your company and the company of your family and friends,
Creating an "Epic" rehearsal dinner, with all those activities including your "Pucca" piñata, was an easy task given your willing to contribute, collaborate and trust.
Thank you for all the nice comments for the staff and for myself.
We are a family operated type resort and are glad to be able to meet the expectations of sifisticated guests like you, I gather that coming from NYC, you were looking for a more authentic, Mexican experience, and for us, that means beginning with things that money can't buy, I mean, smiles, I mean remembering your names, the fact that you like Micheladas, and Ceviche, perhaps that is why as you mention, guest who discover us, tend to return year after year and couples that honey mooned here in the 90s are now family travelers with their young children experienceing Lafitte as well. We are hoping that your foresought family reunion, becomes the tradition, in years to come, just as the cases you mention.
Before I sign off, I'd just like to say thank you again for your company, for trying us, liking us and telling others about Petit Lafitte.
Enjoy your life together and may your days be long and filled with wonderful experiences.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Small and inviting with absolutely fantastic staff, this hotel with great bungalows on the beach is quiet , friendly, and amazingly uncrowned. You never fight for a beach chair or hammock or dinner table. The staff quickly begins greeting you by name - and you can 'almost' picture this as your own intimate home away from home! If you want a quiet relaxing place this could be it! If you want action and night life , stay somewhere else - perhaps in playa itself.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Irishimp17
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear irishimp 17,

What a nice review, thank you for taking the time to share with readers your opinions on Petit Lafite, we are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful time, to the point that it felt like a home a way from home for you.
We think hihgly of our staff also and find inspiration in your words.
You are right to point that this is a quiet place for relaxation seekers and that action seekers and nightlife lovers should go somewhere else, the thing is:
We have a lot of young travelers that come to Petit Lafitte to rest, relax, eat well and read books during the day after a long night dancing in town. After all we are just 15 min away from the action.
Thank you for the pleasure of your visit and your kind review.

Iván A. Fuentes.
Woodstock, Georgia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Went to this resort on a office trip to relax. Had a wonderful time. Service was EXCELLENT, employees were always nice. Greeted every time we pasted a employee. Food was great and entertainment was good. Dancing and exercising by the pool with Ivan was a blast. Would definitely come again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cpitts77
, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Dear Cpitts 77,
Thank you for trying Petit Lafitte and thank you also for taking the time to write about it.
Your review, was brief, positive and rewarding to us.
We hop your trip back home was great and wish to see you comeback sometime in the near future.

Best Regards,

Iván Fuentes
Montclair, California, United States
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I will start of by saying that the only thing keeping it from being a 5 was the actual room itself. Although clean it was a little older, the restroom was pretty small and the bed was very HARD. A/C was very loud had to be turned off inorder to sleep. My girlfriend and I were lucky enough to get a room with a beach veiw and had coffee on the patio overlooking the beach and the sunrise in the morning. Other rooms looked to be block by plam trees? The good has to be two things. The hotel is just a few steps off the beach, the hotel property grounds is also kept very clean. At times my girlfriend and I felt like we had the whole property to oursleves, didnt have to get up early and save a beach chair, we also had the pool just about all to overselfs. The other good thing about Petite Lafitte was there staff. Hands down one of the best I have come across. David and his staff have hospitality down and would be a big reason why we would return to Petite Lafitte. I can not say enough about how they let you be, but are there when and if you need them right down to our Taxi driver Ceasar who worked with us on getting to and from the hotel. We went for 4 days In May 2012 only wish we would have stay longer.

Room Tip: 505 has a ocean view not sure on the rest.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Beto A
Dear Beto A,
Thank you for your helpful comments, your perception of the room section being a bit old, is correct, the Bungalow section is only 3 years old whereas the room section is around 20 years old, we recently did improvements on those rooms, installing new-fancy ceiling fans, TVs, faucets and such. We swept all the room section with those improvements, wonder why the bed was hard, we added new matresses with extra padding. I mean, I believe you, it just seems odd.
Thank you for your mention of the staff and David, our concierge and Cesar our driver, they both have devoted a lifetime to the Lafitte experience. I am glad it shows.
We hope you consider a future visit to Petit Lafitte, we will be glad to recreat and surpass the first time around...
Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Seguin, Texas
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We have been going to Lafitte's for over 15 year and it is as friendly and accommodating today as when we first visited. The staff and their families have become like family to us. They constantly go the extra mile to make our stay there special. The rooms are very clean and spacious, the quality of the food and it's presentation is excellent, and the service is fantastic. Oh yes and the beer is cold. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms allow you to sleep with windows and curtians open
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom D
Dear Tom D,
Thank you for your nice comments, your loyalty of 15 years means a lot to us and to our family.
You are another one of those more than just a guest cases, and we are glad you feel special, you should.
I guess there isn't a lot else to say, it is clear that you return here because you like the place and the way you are treated. We plan to maintain the quality level and we want to keep nurturing our repeat clientele.
Thank you so much for collaborating in this long standing relationship.

Truly,

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I went to Playa del Carmen with two girlfriends to de-compress and celebrate one of our 40th birthdays. None of us had been there before, found this hotel on the internet, and completely lucked out! We did not want to stay at one of the mega-all-inclusive-resorts and had considered other more "modern" looking boutique hotels in town and were so relieved we did not stay at one. Petit Lafitte was perfect! Small, sweet, charming, right on the beach with the outdoor bar overlooking the water and breath-taking, relaxing view. On the best swimming stretch of the beach. Outside of town but easy to access bars, clubs, wild nightlife, shops, etc. with a quick cab ride. The food at the open air restaurant was good and we ate all of our meals there, including ceviche and guacamole at the bar. The atmosphere was lovely but hands down the best thing about our stay was the impeccable, friendly service. Everyone smiled, joked with us, pampered us, and made my friend's birthday extra special!! Plus Jesus makes the best margaritas in town. Beautiful, fun, relaxing, everything we wanted! Muchas gracias y besos to the wonderful staff at Petit Lafitte. We hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are fine, but we moved upstairs for additional privacy and light.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cossette D
Dear Cossette D,
It was very nice to have you and your friends stay with us for a birthday gathering.
We enjoyed your pleasant friendly company.
Thank you for all the kind remarks.
Small...Sweet...Charming, Impeccable, friendly, service...Whoa....
Thank you...we are all purring like cats. :)
Please return on your next visit to Riviera Maya, maybe next years birthday???

Best Regards and, once again, Thank you.