“petit lafitte” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Petit Lafitte

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Petit Lafitte
Ranked #6 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
new york
“petit lafitte”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

I traveled to this charming hotel with a girlfriend on our way to a yoga retreat in Tulum. Although we only spent one night there, we found it to be a very special place. The staff could not have been nicer or more welcoming. The dinner and breakfast the next morning were both excellent. The room, beach and outdoor bar and patio were also very comfortable and well maintained. I would definitely return!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dbeanie
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear dbeanie,
Thank you so much for your kind review. What I found interesting is that even while staying only for one night, you decided to write.
I hope your Yoga retreat at Tulum was great. I want to let you know that we do host a yearly Yoga retreat as well.
Keep an eye on our web site for Yoga Fiesta.
Once again, thank you for your visit and for posting a review.

Iván A. Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Turkish first
mn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed with a friend for 5 days in one of the bungalows. It was exactly what I was looking for to relax and unwind. The bungalow accomodations are a little rustic but had all the necessities. Very charming (including the little gecko that hung near the door entrance) , and loved the private front porch. The staff made efforts to ensure we were comfortable and enjoying our stay. The beach was beautiful, peaceful and always plenty of chairs/hammocks for everyone. Meals included in the room rate were plentiful and good. Breakfast granola was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, as were the chilquiles. Yum! I would absolutely recommend this place to anyone looking for a very quiet restful break. If you're used to the mega resorts in MX, this is not the place for you. Last but not least, make sure you take advantage of a beachside massage. I will for sure be back for some future R&R. Thanks Petit Lafitte, can't wait to visit again!

Room Tip: If a bungalow isn't in your budget, try a third floor room facing the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear mnchick 75,

Thank you for your lovely review.
We really enjoy hearing the guests enjoying unusual aspects of their vacation here, for instance, you found the gecko in your bungalow, charming, along with the bungalow and the amenities. Some people have very little tolerance for tropical fauna, sure, it is good to remember that after all, the tropical beaches are home to geckos.
So, high five to you for understanding that.
Thank you for your mention of the staff being accomodating and helpful, that is propbably the most essential part of our "product" I mean, after all, good attitudes, smiles along with efficiency are becoming rare in the industry.
I am glad you mention that.
Come back to this new found second home, we will be delighted to have you again.

southampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Petit Lafitte is paradise. Originally we had planned to stay for a few days then tour the Peninsular. The hotel is so lovely we stayed for the full 10 days of our vacation. We are mother & daughter from the UK pretty well travelled & pretty fussy!

Staff – I’ll start with the staff because I have never met such friendly & helpful staff. Particular mention must go to Edwardo & Irving on reception, that organised return of our rental car, airport transfers & a seamless welcome & check out, Javier & Antonio two of the charming & efficient waiters & of course Philippe, under whose management paradise is maintained.

Rooms – We stayed in a Garden View room with twin beds (2 doubles). Room 201. The rooms are organised in groups of 6 ‘blocks’ of 6 rooms with X01 & X02 on the ground floor. The block nearest the sea are the 600 rooms. There are no lifts so the ground floor 201 room suited mum. The room was very clean with a good air con unit & ceiling fan, so you could always cool off. There was a fridge, coffee making facilities, hairdryer & safe large enough for a netbook plus other gadgets. There was always warm water to shower & the sink was outside the bathroom – useful for two girls!

Resort – Like the rooms was immaculate. It is a quiet resort ideal if you want to read & sunbathe definitely not for those looking for ‘Spring break’ nightlife. The beach bar was good for lunch & socialising, with tables overlooking the idyllic sands. Even at high season there were enough loungers for everyone on the beach, hammocks under the palms or loungers by the pool. Finally the resort has free Wi-Fi which I could pick up in my room, by the pool or at the beach bar. In addition there are two computers for guest use in the lobby.

Food – Breakfast is buffet style with plenty of fresh fruit, cereal or pancakes followed by a choice of cooked breakfast. Dinner consists of 4 courses; soup, salad bar, a choice of two main courses, desert & coffee all 5 star quality & changed every night.

In summary:Would we go back? Definitely.
Would we recommend Petit Lafitte? – Yes - if you want quiet paradise

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank julie n
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear Julie n,
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your esperience with us and more so when you state you would return here in the future and would recommend us to your friends.
It is funny, but sometimes people arrive to Petit Lafitte with a pretty ambitious agenda to just find themselves so absorbed by the tranquility, and charm of Lafitte and never leave the premises.
Thank you for your comments for the staff, Felipe, Eduardo, Javier, they all have been with us for a while now and they like their jobs.
I gather it shows.
Just one little clarification note on your review is that we have only 5 "blocks" (not 6) so the closest to the water is block 5, or the 500s.
Thank you again for the pleasure of your visit and for taking the time to review Petit Lafitte.

Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed here in mid march 2012 and found it on Trip Advisor. It met all of our expectations and was really really enjoyable. It was very very private and relaxing. We took a taxi into Playa Del Carmen 2 days in a row, which I would highly recommend. They had a driver for us that was in the same car to pick us up (and on time both days). It was comforting to know we had a driver we could trust.

The massage was AMAZING! I highly recommend you take advantage of the massues at Petit rather than one you pick at random on the beach or in Playa. Really, it was the best massage of my life and only $40 for 50 minutes.

Bartenders/wait staff were really nice -- great service! Food was pretty good, not excellent.

Our beach Bungalow was so so cute and cozy and everything a bungalow should be. Ours was bungalow #1 and it was literally up front and steps from the beach. Perfection!

Room Tip: Get the Bungalow, and request #1. It is the best located bungalow right up front closest to the wat...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Dear TravelLovers_32407,
It is great to hear you had a very nice time with us at Petit Lafitte, specially when you say we met the expectations anticipated while reading the Trip Advisor reviews.
I am glad you mention about the massage service. We have been working with this group of sisters that began their own massage family business years ago. It's true it is easy to find masseuses on the beach, or in Playa, even for less money, hey I even saw how at the hotel next door to us (an All inclusive hotel, they have a large palapa where 15-20 people are getting massage at the same time with no privacy, all piled on the tables, I dont know, ....(Not a pretty sight.) Anyway...we believe that $ 40 USD per 50 min service is excelent value. Thank you also for commending our driver, we work with a handful of selected drivers that have shown respect for their occupation. I am sure you got one of these drivers when you wnet to Playa.

Thank you again for trying Petit Lafitte, it was a great honor to serve you.

Amherst, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

We stayed a week at Petit Lafitte from March 14-21 in Bungalow #7. This is our fifth year of coming to Playa del Carmen/Cozumel for a week in the springtime. Previously, we had stayed at some of the big all inclusives, and wanted a smaller, more intimate experience this year. Before choosing Petit Laffitte, we did a lot of research on Trip Advisor.

Overall, the reviews on Petit Lafitte accurately reflect our experience of the resort. It is beautiful, and we loved the smaller, more intimate nature of the property. The service was very good, although some of the meal service was a bit "leisurely" at times. We found the bungalow very nice, not as luxurious as the large hotels but very charming and comfortable. The air conditioner worked fine, even though they did maintenance on the system one day. The beach is amazing, with plenty of chairs and papalas available no matter what time we made it to the beach.

We did have two areas of criticism. While the food was acceptable, some nights it was very good, other nights only passable. Our first night, they had fresh grouper that was excellent. Other nights, the main courses were a bit under-seasoned and bland, as were a number of the soups. We never went hungry, but some nights were better than others.

Our biggest issue was with the hot water. The first day when we tried to take a shower in the late afternoon after a day on the beach, the hot water was the same temperature as the cold. Also, the pressure was so weak sometimes it barely cleared the shower head. The next day, we went into Playa for the day, and we told the front desk about the hot water issue. They said that three of the bungalows shared the same hot water heater, so sometimes you had to let the water run for a while for it to heat up (although since I took an entire shower with both faucets on full, I would think that would have been long enough to heat up). When we returned that afternoon, two of the maintenance guys accompanied us back to our room and the water was piping hot and had decent pressure, almost immediately - obviously, they had done something on the issue while we were in town. However, the next day, we tried again to take a shower in the late afternoon, and it was back to very cold and low pressure. We waited until after dinner and tried again, and the water had heated up, but it was not as hot as the previous day. It was hit or miss like this the rest of our stay, and some days the hot water was not so hot and very brief. I understand the quaintness of staying in a bungalow, but the lack of hot water took us from quaintness to something a bit more like camping.

Would we go back to Petit Lafitte? If we could be guaranteed of adequate hot water, I would go back in a second. Maybe I'm just acting like a spoiled American.

3 Thank Keith P
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Hi KeithP,
I've been wanting to thank you for taking the time to review Petit Lafitte.
It is very nice to hear that there are people in the world who can understand the difference between the all inclusive large hotels and the small, family operated business. Evidently you found your experience with us to be a very nice one.
I am taking a closer look to the areas of concern in order to correct the situation.
One thing that I believe is a must, is have one water heater for each pair of Bungalows, right now we have some cases where there are three Bungalows per water heater, so, during rush hour (before dinner) the demand surpasses the supply, causing a shortage in the hot water.
I'm still unlcear as to what main courses did cause the "bland" comment, it would be nice if you can shed some light here.
This is the second comment in a row, that mentions that, I am thinking that it maybe during the days that our number one chef was on a few days off. The sous chef, is stil developing the skills that will ensure morw "Wow" reactions.
It is matter of time.
I thank you again for your comments and believe me we will correct the water heater problem.

wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed at Petit Lafitte the first week of March. Before coming I had read everything I could get my hands on. Since the vast majority of the reviews were so positive
I had very high expectations! Thankfully, they were generally met, we had a wonderfully relaxing time and would return without question. The only thing that we were not overwhelmed with was the main course at dinner as they tended toward the bland side. However when considering that they are trying to accomadate people from many different cultures, that may explain the need for having dishes that will suit different flavour palates. The self serve soup and salad/vegetable spread, though, more than made up for it. One night, the soup was a delicious cauliflower soup, the salad was fresh crispy romaine, a selection of cheeses, DELICIOUS grilled zuchini and red onion with a cumin flavour, and roasted beets, just to mention some of what was offered! Between that and the fresh bread, I was basically full for the main course so it really wasn't a problem on the nights that I may have been underwhelmed by the main dish. The reason I go into detail on this subject is because there have been many rave reviews about the food, and while some meals lived up to the raving, some did not. We never went hungry, the breakfasts were great, and the lunches were delicious, so my comments are to give a heads up to those whose expectations are as high as mine were. There was a decent selection of wine, a bottle of chilean merlot/cabernet for 190 pesos, very reasonable. The margaritas, pina coladas and mojitos (best ever) were all fabulous! And, as mentioned so often, the staff went out of their way to take care of any need or want. Truly genuinely friendly, hospitable people.

Vacation for us is good food and a quiet lovely beach. The beach met our high expectations!! So beautiful, so relaxing, could not ask for more. We had bungalow #1, oceanfront! What a treat, it was hard to absorb how beautiful the view was from the front porch. When we walked down the beach in both directions, and saw the huge resorts, with their crowded lounger area, we were so grateful we were headed back to our Lafitte Retreat! It may not be as luxurious as some of them were, but we would not trade our quiet comfortable spot any day for more luxury.

And that is why Petit Lafitte ultimately does live up to the hype!

Let first say that there were buffets twice and the food was delicious both of those nights.

1 Thank sandygalWi
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Sandygalwi,
Thank you for you nice review, especially for the feed back on food.
You are right, we are trying to accomodate a lot of different palates, and we are moderate with the spices. when that approach meet the "adventurous" guests like you...we are told so. We understand, I think you did gather also where the situation stemed from. I am glad to hear that you found our breakfasts, breads and lunches deliicous. Thanks for mentioning that.
In general, we see that you had a very good vacation and enjoyed the beach and tranquility.
WE are glad you had such a pleasant experience.

Thank you for coming to Lafitte and also for your review.

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

A perfect ocean front bungalow looking out through palms to a pristine beach. Sounds of waves and birds. Lively, friendly bar where we met fun people. Attentive, tactful service. Good food too. This is one of the last small resorts left in this area. If a fancy pedicure is your vacation goal, go down the line to La Princess or another of those huge all-inclusives. We'll be back to La Petite next year.

Room Tip: Try reserving through Turquoise Reef.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Captainlafitte, General Manager at Petit Lafitte, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Dear Lueallen,
Brief and juicy,
Nice review. Thank you!
Well it happens you had the best bungalow in the house, so, how not to be pleased?
Nice to hear that your auditory preception of the place was sharp, yes, sound of waves, birds, indeed.
Also you make mention of the fact that we may be one of the last small beach hotels in the area, yes, it is true, beach seems to be exclusive to bigger investors, we will try to conserve our little resort going, after all, we are survivors of several hurricanes and next year we will be 40 years in business, it has been a great journey for many, we are honored you are now part of it too.
As for your expressed intention to return next year! what can I say...other than:
"Mi casa es su casa?"