Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #121 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Helsinki, Finland
“Spacious Penthouse”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We really liked our spacious Penthouse suite. The only thing was that it was above the bar, and you could hear the gitar player like he was right in the same room. There is NO window insulation.
They dont serve breakfast in this hotel, but there are many choices close to the hotel, like The Mahekal. There are several small technical defects in this property but all of them were repaired sooner or later. Rooftop pool was so peaceful and pleasant with nice view. 5th avenue (shopping and restaurants) about 400 meters away.

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms 313 (penthouse) or 213 they are right above the bar
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Inver Grove Heights
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here a few nights, I was very impressed. The room was HUGE. AC works great, almost too good. The location is great, walking distance to the shops and bars but far enough away that you feel a bit more private. Staff is awesome, Mariana is so sweet and very helpful. The rooftop pool and view is incredible. The only issue I had was that noise travels through the hallways and courtyard and there was a very loud group, NO FAULT of the hotel whatsoeve and I think they had asked them to quiet down because it only happened one night. I would go back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Astoria, New York
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last September and were blown away by the spaciousness of The Penthouse Suite. We loved the rooftop views and the outdoor infinity pool was impressive. I did have to do a bit of cleaning up in the kitchen because I felt it wasn't the cleanest. Although, I would retunr based on proximity to the beach and restuarants, low price for space, and modern amenities, I do have to say that they could do a little better with maintenance. During our stay we had a time period where the water was shut off for about 3 hours, that wouldn't have been an issue except for the fact that I had chemicals in my hair and had to wash it out within a certain amount of time. I utlimately had to use bottled water to wash my hair. I also had an incident upon checkout where they tried to charge me for a outdoor cushion (which was torn and beaten up when we got there). I did hold my ground as other travelers advised and it was not charged to me. I am taking a star for the hassle at the end of my trip. I may stay there again, but will think twice about it.

Room Tip: The Penthouse price was worth it in September.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed March 18, 2013

It is unlikely that we will return to Pueblito Escondito.

Based on our initial impression, we expected the property to be a solid four star. After all, the rooms are ample, modern and attractive with excellent Wi-Fi. The pool areas are nice, with the rooftop pool featuring a terrific view. The staff is accommodating and friendly. And, the facility is in a good location, on the north end of Playa, close to excellent restaurants but away from the noise and congestion. Surely a four star, right? Not so fast.

They say you shouldn’t drink the water in Mexico. Well, Pueblito Escondito cleverly solved that conundrum for us. Periodically, there was no water – at all -- to drink or use, for that matter. And when there was, it either dribbled out in a trickle, or it surged strong & weak. I cannot underestimate the problem we had with the water. It was miserable. In the shower, the water usually dribbled out in a trickle. In the sinks, when the water did flow, because of clogged aspirators (or something), the water would invariably dribble out, or explode, flowing in all directions but strait down, and spraying onto everything including the walls and, us. It was almost like the faucets were designed to annoy us. If so, they succeeded.

Hot water you ask? It was not reliable either. Maybe they were importing their hot water through a pipeline from Equator. Of course, if you have very little flow, perhaps the hot water never arrives. On at least one day it did not.
I complained about our water problem for at least four days running (bad pun). On several occasions management sent an engineer to our room to investigate. Nothing ever changed. Perhaps their “water engineers” were trained in the Mojave Desert.

There were other disturbing little things, like the ceiling panels in the bathrooms. I say “bathrooms” because I checked out three different rooms. You can see through the joints (so to speak) and into the ceiling areas. If I can see in, well, anything up there can and will come out. However, to be fair, we did not experience any bug issues during our stay.

Next, the towels, or lack thereof. Being “green” is just wonderful but, well, using “green” as an excuse to not make more of something available is another matter. At this type of property one would think that a request for extra towels would be a minor event. It wasn’t. The only time I was able to secure extra towels was when I – temporarily – stole them from the maid’s cart. (The Green Police are probably looking for me right now.)

The kitchen was very nice and well equipped. But again, how about including a dish towel? (I asked, more than once.) Or, if there is dishwashing liquid, wouldn’t it be a good idea to include a sponge? (Our first room didn’t have one.) Soaping up “my hands” to wash dishes should probably be an Olympic event. I certainly would not have metaled. If you’re wondering why I didn’t simply fill the sink with soapy water, well, I tried. The supplied stopper would not seal off the drain so the water could not collect.

Did I mention the occasional sewer smell emanating from the bathroom?

Then there was the night from hell.

After getting up in the middle of the night to use the facilities, I noticed a “fog” in the room. Because I was fighting a cold, I just assumed that my eyes were playing tricks. I went to bed, thought about it, and took another look. Again I saw a fog, sort of like what you might expect to read about in an Edgar Allen Poe novel. “Hmmm, this is …interesting.”

Still not believing my own experience, I sought an expert second opinion…from my wife, who was sawing logs like a lumberjack. It was a risky proposition but, well, for our well-being, I had to take the chance. Of course, once awake, she bounced out of bed, assuming the worst. (By the way, she always does that although I don’t make a habit of waking her for reasons of self-preservation.) Anyway, I digress.

My lovely and startled wife (not a good combination) verified the existence of the fog and also noted a chemical smell. Now we had a real, certified problem. Within 30 minutes and after plenty of scrambling, we were in a new room, having had to move all of our belongings. Ever tried doing that at 3:00 in the morning, while fighting a major cold? It was not one of the activities I had read about in the travel brochure. But at least we were still alive.

The next morning, when Mariana –who, by the way, is reasonably attractive…except for the fact that my wife may read this review, in which case, she is really not that attractive at all – told us that we would have to change rooms “again” because “the owners were coming” that day, I was preparing to raise the threat level to Defcon 4. However, Mariana (who, remember, is really “not” that attractive) told us later in the day that management had reversed their decision and we could stay in our room. Thus, an international incident was averted.

Upon checkout I appealed to the manager, Maria, for a discount. I felt that compensation for our troubles and particularly the water situation was in order. It was not my first effort with Maria. She wouldn’t budge, always blaming the municipality for the water issues. Frankly, that was a cop-out. While the facility did have problems with the pressure of the supplied water during our stay, once the city problem was corrected, it became Pueblito Escondito’s problem. In the case of our second room, they never addressed it.

Would I go back to Pueblito Escondito? Probably not. But then again, there is always morbid curiosity.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Dukesteer
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is close enough to 5th ave without all the club noise and hustle and bustle. We've been to playa del Carmen half a dozen times now and love it! While we've stayed at many hotels in the area, this is on the top of our list. It is centrally located AND a good value which is challenging to find. We've stayed at hotels with full ocean views and paid 3x the price. While you don't get an ocean view you are only steps away from the beach. And you DO get full ocean view from the roof top! Very modern, clean hotel. Stay away from Mexico if you get freaked out by cockroaches because they exist everywhere in Mexico due to the climate!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Notodden, Telemark, Norway
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We really looked forward coming to Playa del Carmen and staying in Pubelito Luxury Condo hotel..
When we arrived around 12 am we got the message that we couldn't check in before 3 am, that's fair enough.. So we walked around in fifth avenue for three hours. Coming back to the hotel at 3 o'clock we got the message that we had to wait for another hour! And if that wasn't enough we couldn't get the room we actually had booked, the penthouse apartment with a private pool, because they were overbooked! They didn't offer us anything else than to get another room without the pool and the view to the same price?! I thought that was so hillarious - so I told them what I ment and that I would write a review at tripadvisor to warn everyone against this hotel and especially the staff. I have never been so dissepointed or treated worse.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ingeborg G
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

On a November visit to Mexico's Riviera Maya and Cancun, we stayed at and visited 8 different Resorts, Time-shares, and All-Inclusives, plus this place. Of the other places, we were very happy with what we got for accommodations and found great value. Pueblito Luxury Condo Hotel was the one, unfortunate exception. After spending 4 days in Playa del Carmen earlier, we decided to see what we could find at the last minute for an overnight stay. Seeing as it was just one night, we decided to splurge for a little luxury and found an advertized sale for Pueblito Luxury Condo Hotel on Booking.com. The ad at the time described a penthouse suite with ocean views from a beachfront hotel. Jetted tubs were another attraction and were greatly anticipated as we checked in. We were shocked to discover this was inaccurate.
Make no mistake, this is a beautiful hotel with high ceilings, stunning artwork, and high end furnishings - however, the ocean is separated from this hotel by 2 other properties and even from the Penthouse roof, there is no view of the ocean.
Talking with the friendly English speaking receptionist during check-in, we made several mentions of the "jetted tubs" as both the adults in our party were suffering from sore backs after a day of walking around Playa Del Carmen. Never were we corrected. We were told about the penthouse pools on the roof of our penthouse room and told to enjoy.
As we left the lobby we were thrilled with finding such a great find despite the steep sale price.
When we arrived at our room and walked in, we were greeted by some surprises that quickly made us decide to cancel our stay.
(1) The refrigerator was left open - presumably to defrost. We plugged it in to see if it worked but did not stay long enough to discover the answer.
(2) An overpowering smell of AMMONIA - at first we thought it had been used to clean the fridge, but it was strong throughout the suite. As a person with a mild case of asthma, I was worried about sleeping here. My wife who does not suffer from the condition also found the smell oppressive and smothering. As we opened windows and looked around, it became apparent that the smell may have been related to some sort or room-wide mold cleaning effort. We weren't sure, but we knew that we could not sleep there, even with the windows open.
(3) A stack of what seemed to be recliner chair cushions from the pool area, dirty and stacked for storage under the stairs that led to the roof. (Was the ammonia smell coming from the cleaning of these cushions? We don't know, but it was a strange place to find parts of out-door furnishings. Approximately 8 large cushions. ).
(4) On the upper level, my wife spotted a large insect which she identified and a cockroach. Our minds began to ponder if the strong smell might actually be related to a fumigation effort?
(5) A trip to the roof revealed pools, but no heated nor jetted tubs. There was no view of the ocean and very clearly, no access to the ocean without heading out onto the street and walking past 2 other buildings in order to see the beach.

We attempted to discover if there had been a mistake with our room, but the desk and the booking center employees seemed to consider this as a side-issue. We had a room that was being offered at a price that was a little higher than the ad suggested - due to local taxes. No offer to move us, due to the smell. A pair of maids were sent to try to remove the outdoor cushions from our room, and close the door to the fridge, but we asked them to return in a little while as we were still trying to get some help from either the hotel or the booking site.
In the end, no replacement room was offered, no discount, and the booking company left the final decision to the hotel manager in terms of allowing us a refund or partial refund. The manager refused. It became clear that the room is booked once you check-in at the desk. There is no option to refuse a room at this hotel and though the place was almost empty, there was no effort to move us to a room that could be slept in.

We ended up leaving the hotel to return to Playa Del Carmen and resigned ourselves to the thought that we had blown $300 that day on a room that nobody could use rather than enjoying an overnight in Playa, on the beach and near the activity of 5th Avenue.
We went, had some supper, did a little shopping but chose to return to Cancun that night by cab. The young lady on the desk was lost for words and feared incurring the wrath of her manager, but was very sympathetic to us. We enjoyed dealing with her, but be aware that the desk staff is NOT in charge here. If you are impressed by the stately images, please exercise caution in claiming your room. If this one room is any indication, you will want to visit your room before checking in. Even if we were unlucky enough to be there at the wrong time in the one bad room in the hotel, it appears that there may be some disconnect between the management of the hotel and the actual staff. I genuinely feel sorry for the staff who may not have known that this room was to be occupied when all the cleaning/ defrosting/ fumigation was being done. I also hope that in all future ads, this place removes any mention of "Ocean View" or "Oceanside"...terribly deceptive. As for the jetted pool/tub, I think that may possibly have been a one-time error and am willing to accept that such mistake occasionally are made in sale ads. Overall, though, I can not give this hotel any sort of passing grade.

Room Tip: Ask to see and smell your room before checking in!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family