“The Place to Relax”

Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite - 1 in the bedroom, 1 on the sofa-bed. There is plenty of room. Good amenities - a big well stocked fridge at reasonable prices, good air-con, great terraces with hammock. There is no bar or restaurant in the hotel, but that means they serve breakfast on your own terrace, which is even more relaxing. Includes free beach chairs with food and drink service, cold drinking water fountains in your room and on the premises. So easy to do nothing. Very helpful staff. I stayed an extra couple of nights, and they were happy to show me other rooms to choose from at a good rate. Some noise from the clubs you can hear on the terrace, but rooms well soundproofed, so no problem at night. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ItsfionaW
PlayaPalms, General Manager at Playa Palms Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear guest,

Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. The 1BR units are my personal favourites. tucked away in the back, and with the extra space and full kitchen is a good benefit.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our beach club. On the contrary to many beach hotels in Playa, we have made it exclusive only to our own guests, so there are always space and loungers available for everyone.

We look forward to see you again.

greetings
helge Sturesson

There are newer reviews for Playa Palms Beach Hotel

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Currently staying here and don't want to leave! I have travel to many different places and never have had such better experience. The service is superb! management (Luis) makes sure your stay its one of the best experiences!. Whatever is needed, all we had to do its ask, Hotel is safe, clean, best location to party, close to everything. Definetly will come back. Our room it's perfect right in the middle on the bottom floor 108. The pool it's small for a quick dip, but who needs a pool if you have the Caribbean to swim. Next time I'm booking directly with the hotel. Noisy? Don't bother us. We come back too tired or too tipsy to the room. Best location for girls traveling alone, steps away from the fun, couples? Romantic!! I'm missing my BF. Kids? best for adults not big enough for kids but doable. massages? right on the beach, steps away for 25$ 70 min. Pedicures? facials? across the street. only complain? Mosquitos !!! I'm swatting away as I type. bring repellant. otherwise I guarantee you will you will have a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Magsce7
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My partner and I stayed from July 17 - 23, 2013. We had asked for a top floor and were given 309 which was beautiful but I wanted to be closer to the ocean so the next day Luis (who looks exactly like Joaquin Phoenix) gave us 302 (A MUST HAVE). The only reason I am removing a star is because I wish they had phones and also this hotel does not have a restaurant so you cannot order room service. But they do try (very accommodating). The water pressure in our room was a little low and they fixed it within 10 minutes of our request. I want to comment about the boats in the front of the hotel. They don't bother you at all due to it being so shallow in that area anyways. So unless you're two feet tall you would have to walk a good 10 to 15 feet PAST the boats so the water could at least be at your chest. I didn't have a problem with noise at night because as soon as we closed our balcony door the music stopped you could not heat a peep. I absolutely loved the fact that you can buy your own groceries, beer, etc and keep it in your fridge. In our case we ate out a lot and always had food left over which we would bring back and snack on later on. While on the beach they have someone (Gabriel & Miguel) come over and take our orders. These same people will give you their cell # and you can call them for room service while they are on duty and they will take it to your room. The food comes from the hotel restaurant next door "The Taj" and is so good. Carlos was our concierge and he gave me places to eat and go and was always spot on with his reviews. He is really knowledgeable about everything nearby and even better with excursions. The view is absolutely spectacular and the hammocks both on your balcony and on the beach were so soothing. I fell asleep in a couple of them. Beds were comfortable, rooms were clean, pool was clean, beach was clean and the garden area was beautiful for pictures. It is located perfectly in the middle of everything and on the beach. We bypassed the clubs when we didn't want to deal with it and went straight into our room for a cozy evening. But if you want to party you are steps away from it all. In the day you have shopping and picturesque walks along the beach or 5th Ave and endless amounts of restaurants. I never return to the same place twice but I WILL be returning here!

Room Tip: Room 302!!! You will not be disappointed.
1  Thank fcorletto
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We loved the room (#208 one bedroom apartment) and we loved the property. Everything was clean, the staff were friendly and eager to please and it's in a great location. The apartment was large and had a full kitchen including dishes and utensils (not that we had an opportunity to cook anything). The room decoration and architectural design of the hotel as a whole are lovely. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size. The only complaint was the noise from the Blue Parrot Club two doors down. Our first night, Saturday, July 6, was quiet as it was the night before the elections and the Club was closed. However, starting Sunday night the bass fired up from 10:00 at night until 6:00 a.m. almost every night. We became a bit habituated after several nights but it did remain the only thorn in what is otherwise a rose of a hotel. We didn't ask to change rooms as we loved everything else about our room. Given their eagerness to please, I'm sure they'd have accomodated us if we had. We were hauling dive gear back and forth and staff were always right there ready to assist. Given that we were busy with other activities, we only used the beach once. A shame, given that it was lovely. We rather liked the ambience the boats anchored in front added (but then we're boat people). The pool is ideal and convenient for a quick dip to cool off if the beach doesn't satisfy. It is an easy walk to La Quinta (fifth Ave.) and a wide assortment of restaurants and shops. Playa Palms, as with Playa del Carmen as a whole, offers easy access too all desired ammenities while maintaining local charm.

1  Thank VeronicaDiver
Reviewed July 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days and 4 nights (oh, how we wish we could have stayed longer). The location of the hotel is awesome! Everything is within walking distance. We stayed in the oceanfront room (room 201), which has a great view! Only downside is that we wish the room was a bit more spacious given that we had a difficult time situating our oversized luggage in the room. I believe the garden view rooms are much larger than the oceanfront rooms. My parents stayed in one of the garden view rooms and overall, their room was much larger than ours (they could actually use the seating area for lounging rather than for stowing their luggage). The pool is small, but definitely serves it's purpose: to cool off and chill. As with other reviews, the beach directly in front on the hotel is not suited for swimming due the boats, but it's no biggie. There are plenty of other areas along the beach perfect for swimming just a few yards away. We would definitely consider staying

2  Thank Soniebaloni
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed here for a week after staying at an all inclusive resort beforehand, it was a very easy transition.

The rooms were comfortable and clean. Each comes with a hammock out the front, which I loved. You're also right on the beach, however due to the boats, you'll need to walk a little bit along the beach to swim, which was no big deal. There is also a swimming pool if you get tired of lying on the lounge chairs. Breakfast was delivered to your door every morning as well so that you could make use of the table and chairs outside your room.

The hotel is very well located near the beach, near many bars and near the main street for restaurants and shopping. Due to the bars being very close, the rooms closest to the road will be able to faintly hear some of the nearby nightclubs at night.

I've got to give special thanks to the staff. My wife got a bad case of food poisioning during our stay, and when I brough it to the attention of the staff, they had an excellent doctor on call, who came within a couple of hours.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the rooms away from the street and closer to the beach. You'll hear less of the n...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here on a solo trip thinking I wanted something a little nicer incase I could not handle roughing it alone. It would have been smart for me to learn spanish before coming to Mexico but I didnt, and I'll accept my fault in that. I asked for breakfast on the first night to be delivered at 10:15am, I also told them my ipod doc did not work and neither did the hot water. They placed my breakfast on my balcony somewhere between 8-9am because I left my room and when I came back at 9am there were birds eating my breakfast. Maybe if I spoke spanish they would have understood what I asked for. I had to tell them again the ipod doc does not work but I found that the hot water works - you just need to wait a good 5 minutes for it to turn hot. I went to the beach and relaxed while they took forever inspecting or maybe cleaning my room. Unfortunately they decided to either throw away my Valium or steal it, and did not fix the ipod doc. I had to get my medication replaced where I got overpriced $80US to get a new packet of Valium. Due to the language barrier I could not really contest this and really needing it, I bought it anyways.
The room itself was lovely, with a hammock on the balcony which was perfect. Its in a great location, you definately CAN hear the club 2 doors down, every night, but if the ipod doc worked I could have played something soothing to sleep to.
The sign in the cupboard says if you put your laundry in for washing before 8am they will return it by the afternoon. This is not the case so dont believe it. It will take at least 24 hours. I dont think they know what their sign says because they seemed confused when I was asking about it.
Otherwise all staff were curteous and I did feel safe with the security outside my window until the wee hours of the morning. It was a great location but next time I'll probably stay inland more, its not essential to stay near the beach and everything in playa seemed walkable to me. I wouldnt pay so much in the future for what I recieved here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo