“Wonderful People!!!”

Playa Palms Beach Hotel
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to Playa Plams Hotel but the first time in April, I can not say enough about this hotel, its staff, location and Playa del Carmen in general, simply amazing. They go out of their way to ensure everything is perfect, I stayed here with myself and 2 sons, 11 & 13, this time my older son turned 14 on April 2nd during our stay, we had an all day adventure planned and when we returned to our room, it was decorated with balloons and a cake, a very yummy cake, it made a perfect day at Xel-Ha even better. Carlos is always so helpful and friendly. I tell all I know to stay here, wonderful rooms with little kitchenettes just perfect. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked the room through the hotel about one month prior to our trip. We asked for one of the Ocean Front Studio’s.
Check in was easy & the manager explained everything to us about our room. They charge extra prices for things in the refrigerator & other items. He gave us our beach towel cards & then we were off to our room.
Are room was 301. Warning about the stairs: Spiral wooden stairs that was difficult getting our luggage up (good thing we had help). I was afraid that I would bang my head (I am 5’7). But the stairs are so worth the walk because the room is terrific.
The balcony is huge with a table for four, two lounge chairs & a hammock. Great view!!!
Room: Large & very comfortable for two (maybe a small child). The kitchenette included a sink, small refrigerator, hot plate, one pan, two bowls, coffee maker & some utensils. It did not include dish soap so we just let the maid wash the dishes everyday (note we would have done our own dishes if we had soap).
The rooms can sleep three people. We had a queen size bed & a single bed in the loft. There was plenty of room for clothes & suitcases.
Bathroom was an ok size. It was a single shower with plenty of room & a single sink. Three shelves for storage space for bathroom items. The bathroom had typical toiletries & a blow dryer.
Staff was incredible & friendly. My husband had them surprise me with a birthday cake & they decorated the room with streamers & balloons. Thank you to the staff for making my birthday memorable.
The hotel is in walking distance to shops & restaurants & is right on the beach. The hotel itself does not have a restaurant or bar, but does have room service from next door from 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. (I think 10 p.m.). I did see a waiter come over from next door with drinks for people on the beach, but you can have your own drinks from your room on the beach.
Pool was refreshing, but a little chilly when the shade took over.
We got a Massage on beach next door for 70 minutes for $25.
Looks like they had plenty of Beach chairs, but we never made it to the beach because we were diving or hanging out on our balcony. We did breakfast a couple of days. It was ok. They had some things on the menu for an extra price, but we cooked eggs & bacon every day & that was great with the juice, tea & bread/croissant.
Noise: windows are somewhat sound proof. The club music woke us on Friday, Saturday & Sunday at about 3 am. We usually feel asleep before the clubs start. Our room was located on the left side if you were facing the beach; I think it might have been a little quieter on the right side.
There was no swimming in front of the hotel due to the fishing & dive boats are anchored in front of hotel. There were plenty of places to swim in ocean not too far away.
Watched the staff decorate a room, which looked like it was a couple on their honeymoon. They had rose petals & a bottle of wine and some kind of platter.
I had a great birthday. Would we stay here again, yes. Just might try the right size because our days of clubbing until 5 am are over.
I have been coming to playa since 2001 & have watched it grow. It used to be a quiet fishing town with fun bars & a few night clubs, but it has become a mini Cancun. Still lots of fun.
Staff is great, room are clean & it is on the beach.

2  Thank ScubaCF
PlayaPalms, General Manager at Playa Palms Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear ScubaCF,

I am glad you had a good stay and birthday celebration at our hotel. Thanks for taking the time to make this positive review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the oceanfront unit. All our oceanfront units have a large balcony, and the units on the third floor have a particularly large deck, and also a sleeping loft for an extra person.

Regarding beach service, I think it is a particular benefit staying with us that the beach is exclusive for our own guests, and you are free to bring your own drinks to the beach. As you noticed you also have the option to ask the waiter for service from neighboring restaurant.

We look forward to see you again.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I chose Playa Palms, because of the write ups it received. We will definitely stay here again! -Nice beach front and service was great. The room we stayed in was very nice! Walking distance to 5th Ave (restaurants and shops), approx. 10 min. walk to Cozumel ferry.

Room Tip: 2nd floor has great views-since all balconys protrude out
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineK66

Dear Catherine,

I am glad to hear we lived up to your expectations, and that you had a good time with us. We hope to see you again next time you are in Playa del Carmen.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed here as a transition location on our way to ferry to Cozumel for a week. We stayed here because it looked neat on the website and in the reviews and because it was close to the action in Playa del Carmen. We had booked a second hotel for the trip back but after 2 nights here we canceled the other hotel and returned a week later to stay again. Serendipitously we ended up with the same room - and it appeared that our neighbours hadn't moved from their balcony in the week we had been away.

The hotel is great architecturally, has some great lines and feels relaxing. Nothing like coming from North American suburbia with geometric drywall and 2 by 4s to rooms without a square wall in the place - does have an unwinding effect. The hammock on balcony helped too...

Some reviews comment on the noise from the neighbouring bars and the all night beach parties, but the shape of the hotel, with balconies all facing the inner courtyard protected us from any party noise and sleep was no problem.

The place was clean, the staff was great! Helpful, friendly and kind.

All this, close to the action of 5th avenue, and a nice beach to walk, we definitely would go back....

Room Tip: we stayed in 311, mid court with a nice balcony... I think if you were staying closer to the beach t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sstephan

Dear Stephan,

I am glad to hear you liked your stay and even decided to extend your stay.

I am from Sweden, and also familiar with the geometric architecture you are describing. I had the opportunity to build this place from the beginning and fell in love with the architecture as you did. Now working as the Operator, I have the pleasure of perfecting details and furnishings to accompany the architectural beauty.

A terrace hammock will be waiting for you next time you come back...

sunny greetings,
Helge

Reviewed April 2, 2013

It is the details that make the difference on a vacation, and the details here were impeccable. We left another hotel made up of condo-type rooms in Akumal because it was disappointing, and were able to (luckily!) find availability at Playa Palms.
The staff were receptive, warm, and so polite. The rooms were clean, well decorated, and comfortable. The ambiance with the balconies with their outdoor tables and hammocks is so enjoyable. And, in spite of being close to all night discos, it was very quiet and peaceful. i would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: they are all good.

Dear Eliason,

I am glad to hear that you find our hotel sticking out from the crowd in a positive way. Thanks for taking the time to write this positive review.

kind regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My children and I (they are 17) spent 6 days at Playa Palms. The room while on the small size, was adorable. Since we didn't spend much time inside, this did not have an effect on us. The service was fast and efficient. In addition to the hotel being accommodating, my son had left medication home, and the concierge called a doctor for us. The doctor came to us within 90 minutes, with his meds. He carefully checked my son out and left me with his number in case we needed him. Being on the beach was terrific! The town was wonderful and we felt as though everyone at the hotel wanted us to have a good time while we were there. We would definitely go back! (The mattress was extremely hard for me and we did not use room service.)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Zoma,

I am glad to hear we could help you with a doctor for your son. Playa del Carmen is changing and with the growth comes also good services like skilled english speaking doctors on call 24 hours/day.

I recognize some of our mattresses are on the hard side but they are being replaced this Spring so that all our rooms have a softer quality.

Good to hear you all enjoyed your stay on the beach, and we look forward to see you at another occasion.

greetings,

Reviewed March 31, 2013

That's their slogan, and it's spot on! Great little boutique beach hotel, perfect for couples. We went for our honeymoon and it was amazing. We got to the hotel about 9pm after a terrible time at the rental car place (don't go to Economy Car Rental aka America Car Rental) and the room made it all melt away! They had decorated it beautifully and left a bottle of champange! What a great way to start the trip! The staff was awesome. The location was perfect - close to everything! There weren't any problems with noise. They have about 4 parking places that are first come first serve. We had to park on the street 2 days and it wasnt a big deal. Parking wasn't hard to find. The free breakfast delivered to your door every morning really made for a great vacation, it started every day off right! A few days we had to sort of fight for a good spot on the beach, at times it felt like a cruise where everyone got up early and ran down to put towels on the best chair spots. But it wasnt like this everyday. We had the room that was shown on the website, the view is from room 310. But I think I would have rather had room 311. We just asked for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor as close to the front as possible. We would definitely return to Playa Palms!

Room Tip: We had the room that was shown on the website, the view is from room 310. But I think I would have r...
1  Thank KandDinLB

Dear Kris,

I am really glad to hear you spent a nice honeymoon at our hotel.

We hope to see you on another occasion. We also have anniversary packages ;-)

Kind regards,