“Scuba Caribe at Grand Palladium”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of ScubaCaribe

ScubaCaribe
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.00*
and up
Catamaran Day Cruise to Isla Mujeres
More attraction details
Owner description: Scubacaribe specializes in providing a complete range of water sports and activities for hotels and resorts. The company was formed in 1991 when it began operating and providing services for the Riu Hotels in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Since then we've grown continuously, providing service to the most prestigious hotels in the largest Caribbean vacation destinations. Our fast growth is based on a philosophy of always implementing the latest and best technology available. Our mission is to satisfy clients by providing a wide range of water sports such as scuba diving, snorkeling, windsurf, sailing, rowing, parasailing and a variety of aquatic excursions. Everything we do is executed with the highest regard for personal safety standards. Respect for the environment and a commitment to the local communities where we operate is of prime importance for us. We operate within an established corporate code of conduct, encouraging community relations and training local personnel for management positions, which also helps to improve overall administrative efficiency.
Ottawa, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“Scuba Caribe at Grand Palladium”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I met up with the dive people while they were doing a dive master course in the pool. I spoke with Bernardo, a friendly fellow who explained the dive tours they have. I thought the prices were really reasonable: $70US for a 1-tank open water dive.

We booked the turtle snorkel tour, $40 US pp for 1 1/2 hours. We thought the price was reasonable. They took us to Akumal and showed us turtles, barracuda, sea urchins and a ray. Life jackets were included. We had a great time and we even got pictures, taken by a diver / photographer (Aurore, a charming woman from France) for another $40US. Normally I wouldn't spend that much on pictures, but her underwater photography far surpassed our murky green pictures.

Scuba Caribe needs to advertise more the tours and services they offer. I knew where they were all along, but I wasn't motivated to go see them until I saw this poster. Next time, I'll approach them and ask what sorts of services we can have.

Life jackets and free water sports equipment were free to use, but I had to call to get information. It just needs to be listed more clearly, like in a pamphlet in our room or something like that.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank La_Tortuga_amarilla

• Polish first
New York, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Used through Riu Palace in Cancun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I purchased a jet ski through Scuba Caribe while staying at the Riu Palace in Cancun and it was a good value, but the staff needs some serious lessons on how to run the place. First off, after booking the 40 minute jet ski ride, they tell you to go out on the ocean , but don't give you an idea of where you are allowed to go. So now you go off and as soon as you stray off this imaginary boundary, they ride next to you and yell at you to go the other way . Then they stop you, making you think you have done something wrong, just to take a picture that they will sell you later for an inflated cost. Eventually, the employees just left us alone, but we had no way of knowing when our time was up so we had to stop people to find out what time it was. Then to top it all off, the guy who gave us a ride out to the area where we took the jet ski out started begging for a tip, which he really didn't deserve. Annoying staff, but we made the best of it.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank olevin
Petaluma, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“First Open water dive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked through Riu Playacar an indroductory dive. Claudio was an awsome instructor and dive guide. I can't wait to go back and finish my certification with Scuba Caribe.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Scott2311
drwendy
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Riu Palace onsite dive shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just returned from a week's diving in the Mayan Riviera. The reef around the hotel is pretty dead at this point, the poor DM had to really search to find anything to point out to us. Fishlife is minimal, I didn't take very many pictures. We took the ferry to Coz one day and had fantastic dives, the mainland just doesn't compare. The folks at Scuba Caribe are very kind and helpful. A word of warning: there are no piers for the boats to dock in this area. To get to the boat for your dive you are expected to don full gear (minus fins and tanks) and swim through the breakers to where the boat is anchored. We did this in heavy surge and although I am a very strong swimmer and quite fit, it was all I could do to get out there in gear, and really all I could do to get back to shore after the dive (again wearing my own gear). If you tire easily or have any sort of back issues or other health problems you might not want to dive here at all. Dives are timed and the whole group surfaces when the first person is low on air, so I routinely came up with over 2000 lb in my tank, which makes me feel cheated.

Overall we will probably not plan on diving from the mainland Riviera Maya anymore but will go to Cozumel when we want a Mexican diving vacation. It's just not worth the trouble of getting your gear down there for the quality of the reefs you can see there. But then we're getting rather snobby about that sort of thing the longer we dive, and it's still way better than diving in Ohio!

Visited October 2012
2 Thank drwendy
montclair, nj
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Crew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The review is for the team at the Viva Wyndham Maya. The team was great; very friendly and relaxed and made all of our scheduling super easy. My 14 year old daughter did their discovery dive and love the instructor Juan Carlos. I had three dives over 4 days and everyone from Roberto in the front office to the crew on the boat was super supportive, efficient and friendly. We can't wait to go back in December -

Visited August 2012