“Wow! What a wonderful vacation-paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel

El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel
Ranked #31 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
New York City, New York
“Wow! What a wonderful vacation-paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

I have been staying at El Taj, Maya Villas and Villas Sacbe for years. I cannot express how wonderful and caring the staff is. From the moment you check in until you leave they are helpful, always smiling, and a caring group of people. Considering how many people they serve I find it amazing they remember form year to year how you like your coffee and which beach chairs you prefer to have! They keep adding new perks-free breakfasts that cannot be beat, several excellent restaurants where you get discounts, a larger gym, etc. What more could you ask for? The rooms are kept spotless! I can't wait to return again and again. Thank you to all who help to make my vacation a dream come true each year.

Room Tip: Second floor or higher for less noise.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear pnadel,
I am just so incredibly happy that we can continue to provide you the best experiences year after year. Thank you for your loyalty and continuing to choose El Taj as your number one pick in Playa del Carmen. I realize that everyone has a choice so it means a lot when we see such faithful returning guests. Thankfully, for the most part, we are able to retain the same great happy staff who have been with us for a long time. This means that they get to know our returning guests and are able to remember little details which make all the difference. As you can see we are always trying to find ways to create a better experience. That is why each year you will find better amenities and incentives! The expansion of the GYM was a project well worth it as the GYM is the most elite fitness center in Playa, offering all the perks and now more! Thank you again and I hope you will return back to El Taj soon!

Owner, Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

I am horrible for not writing this review sooner but better late than never. We stayed at the property January 24-28, 2013

We booked the 3bedroom Oceanfront; party of 6, 3 couples.

Accommodations:
The inside of the unit was great! Very clean with newer modern furniture and granite countertops throughout. The beds were a little stiff but not to bad; I just happen to like fluffy beds. The kitchen was equipped with every single utensil & cookware you would need. We had 2 ensuite bathrooms and one right outside the 3rd bedroom which were all spacious and clean. We had a Jacuzzi on our back patio and seating in front of the unit for about 4 people

Being that this is a very small property don't expect much on the amenities side. The pool was nice though it lacked direct sunlight because it is sandwiched between the two buildings. Though not receiving direct sunlight it was actually pretty warm; not sure if it was heated. We ate

Service:
Check in was very quick fast and they let us know that if we needed anything stop by or call and they would be of assistance to us.
Housekeeping came daily and did a fantastic job. They thoroughly cleaned the unit with STRONG disinfectant cleaners which I appreciated even though you had to let it air out a little; better than germs lingering. They not only made beds, cleaned bathrooms, and took out trash but they mopped down the entire unit and cleaned the kitchen thoroughly as well. The ladies were very appreciative of the tips we provided them daily for their services and went above and beyond in my opinion.

Location:
We were in walking distance of anything we needed which came in handy when we needed to find a pharmacy for my best friends husband who became ill from eating some fish tacos at one of the restaurants ( don't recall the name) We went out to eat each night and just walked carefree around the area. We were approached a few times by people offering narcotics but we politely either said no thanks or just kept walking. Several night clubs/ lounges/bars nearby but I never heard any noise from them.

Beach:
It was a small nice little area of beach. Yes there were some boats to the left of the property but they weren't that many, neither were they there all day and it never impacted our beach day. I didn't pick Play del Carmen for their beaches so that is probably why the condition didn't bother me as much; I never got into the water. This trip was for us to just have a quick get away for our better half's b-day weekend to just hang out and enjoy each others company

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Valerdictorian,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor and for your wonderful comments about everything from the accommodations to the location and everything in between. I am surely happy that you loved your beautiful unit and the property itself. El Taj is in a perfect location within steps of everything you could ever need - outstanding restaurants, entertainment, and shopping galore! We do have two main pools at El Taj. One of them is a bit more shaded as the other allows much more sunlight. I hope that you were aware that both pools were available to you. Our beach is quite lovely, and while there are some remaining boats from the old fisherman who settled in Playa long before us, it brings some nice charm. Even though you weren't much interested in swimming, we do provide alternate beach club access just a very short walk away at the lighthouse beach club at El Faro. Only meters away, its an area completely clear for swimming. As a guest you will always complimentary lounge chairs, towels and the same great service you can expect at Indigo beach. Many people love the variety and also the chance to switch things up a bit during their vacation. As for the units, we always make sure everything is left as new and perfectly clean every single day and we do have an amazing hard working staff to make this happen. Definitely it goes without saying that I'm very happy you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return soon with us the next time you come back to Playa del Carmen.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This has been the perfect vacation!
El taj is a 4 stars resort but the rooms themselves are at least 5 stars. Seriously - the most fabulous, spacious, well decorated, comfortable and spotless rooms I have seen. The service is also 5 stars - efficient and friendly. Just great.
El taj is located at the beating heart of Playa - meters off the beach and Playas Main Street, and if that's important to you, you will excuse the fact that it can be noisy at times and that the beach is not the most beautiful at Playa.
I actually loved the fact they outsource a few things such as the gym. Walk 2 minutes and get to a gym better then your Holmes Place back home... Also walk a few meters and get to a better beach that works with El Taj and you can hang out there as well.
This is a condo hotel - meaning it is fully equipped with all the cooking facilities. If your a family wanting to cook it is fabulous. If not - you may consider a cheaper hotel without all the equipment.
The 2 downsides are the breakfast and the pool. The pool looks incredible but it is small and not appealing to hang out in.
For breakfast you have 2 options - right on the beach or at a nearby restaurant open until 2 pm which is a real plus. However the food itself is not great - on the beach the buffet is small and rather dull and in the restaurant you get a small portion la carat breakfast with very slow service.
All in all it is a great place to stay and would recommend especially for families.
Thank you El Taj staff!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anna151281,
I am more than happy that you had such an amazing experience with us at El Taj. Thank you for your wonderful comments and your high recommendation! We work hard every day to provide the best service for every aspect of your stay, from the moment you check in until the moment you leave. We are perfectly located in the heart of Playa del Carmen completely walkable to any and everything you can imagine - best restaurants, best entertainment and best shopping! We do provide all guests with a privileged card as a perk which provides extra offsite amenities and discounts to our favorite places. Access to the GYM and to our alternate beach club at El Faro are also completely complimentary during your stay. As you mention about the pool at El Taj, I hope you were aware that there are 2 pools onsite. One pool is a bit smaller while the other one is more spacious. All El Taj guests are able to use both pools no matter the location of the unit. Thank you again for your wonderful review and I hope you will return back to El Taj soon!

San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

This hotel was great! We were there for 5 days on a Bachelor Party and we rented one of the ocean front penthouses. The room was amazing and the stay was perfect. The staff was amazing, specially our Concierge Annuar and our Cleaning Lady Guadalupe. They helped us so much with all our requests. Cant wait to go Back!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Raulinrod,
Thank you for sharing such an incredible review with us on Trip Advisor. I am so incredibly thrilled to hear that you value the El Taj name to be perfection! Ever piece of what we do all boils down to the most important goal - which is to provide the best experience for our guests. Thank you for your specific comments on our lovely housekeeper Guadalupe, we will be sure to mention the nice feedback so she knows she is doing a great job! The oceanfront penthouses are absolutely beautiful and of course are perfect for large groups! Glad you enjoyed everything and I hope that you will continue to choose El Taj as your number one choice during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

We rented #302 for 5 days and had a great time. The staff was very responsive and professional. The only issue was the marketing photos of the unit made it appear to be on the beach while the views were actually of some buildings under construction. You could technically see the beach from the roof but you had to look past/over telephone poles, unfinished concrete buildings and an alley. I'm still giving it 4 stars because the unit itself was fantastic and the staff was great.

Room Tip: If you want to be on the beach make sure you book Oceanfront since "Beachside" is not besi...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Paco_C_72
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Paco_C_72,
I am happy that you enjoyed your overall stay with us at El Taj during your vacation to Playa del Carmen. Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding our kind and professional staff and about the beauty of the unit you resided in during your time with us - until #302 is actually our largest and most equipped unit (amazing for larger groups or families). Regarding the view, on our website we have a complete description of the exact unit you mentioned which mentions that the unit has an ocean view from the roof top terrace with photos taken directly from that location -with a clear path. This is an ocean view room meaning that you do get partial views of the ocean from the unit which is different than oceanfront units which feature completely unobstructed oceanfront views of the beach and ocean. I do apologize if the view from this unit was disappointing or not what was expected. I do hope that all of the positives made up for this aspect. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider to return back with us at El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I want to thank every kind staff member that works for this hotel (reservations, reception, staff, etc). It felt like home. We stayed for 9 days and I can't complain about one thing. The reason we reserved this hotel bc it TripAdvisor said it was #2. I don't understand why it is not #1. The Apartment were spectacular.

I had my wedding party stay here and it felt to great to hear everyone was exceptionally happy with their stay too. Can't wait to go back with my husband.

Room Tip: Stay at the Oceanfront. The Beachfront El Taj, Maya Villa, and Playa Palms are also a great alternat...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Condohotels, Owner at El Taj Oceanfront & Beachside Condos Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Paola329,
I am so happy to hear that your stay at El Taj was amazing. I read each and every review to insure that all of our guests needs are met. Guest satisfaction is my number one priority every day! El Taj offers resort style amenities onsite, but as you mentioned will also make you feel right at home. It's a combination that we get complimented on often. It makes me extremely pleased to hear that our staff treated your kindly and provided great service. I hope that you will continue to choose El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

We spent four days and rent a two bedroom condo unit, the hotel is close to the best places around and even far away to the noisy places at night. We were located on the 3rd floor and the view was steel nice, because the beautiful internal gardens of the hotel.
We didn't like the beach, that is full of boats in front. You can not swim easily without some danger of get hit with a boat. This is something that is not clear on the announcement. Other surprise for us was the gym location, even it was a super gym, it was not located at the hotel, is located on another own property.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the right are quieter
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RICARDO G
Dear dixonguerra,
Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am, Jack Perlman, the owner of El Taj and I read every review and respond to let guests know that I take all feedback (good and bad) very serious. First I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments about the view from your unit and the beautiful landscaping surrounding the property. I would like you to know that we are working on eliminating anymore disruption regarding some noise from the neighboring entertainment venues located down the street from El Taj. We are almost done installing triple insulated sound proof windows in every single unit. Many units already have this feature and we are working swiftly to insure that soon every unit is soundproof. It is true that directly in front of the onsite beach club is where the old Playa fisherman still park their boats. While I do have some power to ask them to move it's a fine line for me since these boats belong to the fisherman who settled in Playa long before Playa was built up. I haven't had the heart to interrupt their livelihood as this is truly all they have left. As a solution for everyone I have insured accommodations at a neighboring beach club only steps away from El Taj. This beach club also free of change (towels included) to enjoy the day in an area completely clear for swimming. I definitely hope that our staff communicated this to you at check in. El Taj is part of a brand of Condohotels all located in the same vicinity. El Taj is apart from our main building because it is our beachfront location. While the GYM is not located directly in El Taj it is just one short block away located in our main complex of establishments. The GYM is available for all condo hotels guests so our goal was to make it centrally located for everyone. I hope that you would still consider to return back with us at El Taj during future visits to Playa del Carmen.